Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1432 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 08 - 12:05am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon 9700 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>
1 Mar 21, 2003, 09:09pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700
well if your ever planning a trip to monterey then drop me an email......I have enough stuff to switch and swap to identify the problem.....your frustration is understood. One thing you can do if you dont have access to another card is to go to circuit city and buy one just to see if it works in your system.....if it doesnt then something is wrong elsewhere in your system and you can begin trouble shooting other items.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
popewski retrou Mar 21, 2003, 10:14pm EST Report Abuse
could a good cyberchristian or cybermuslim or other cyberrelligious or not
Summarize in simple words what the right steps to get over this problem is-we have read so many different thinks which one is right ??
thank you in advance

Jackie Chan Mar 21, 2003, 10:17pm EST Report Abuse
THeres no real fix, thats why this problem is still going months later.

SOme people have raised agp voltage, ram voltage, old drivers, stronger PSU's, disable fastwrites, disable 8x, find bad ram, theres many things.

So far nothing for me. I didnt try bad ram though, but ram I have checks out in all ram tests so I dont suspect it...

Steve Clot Mar 21, 2003, 11:39pm EST Report Abuse
My 9700 Pro was locking up while trying to do any serious 3d stuff (ok, playing games) on a new Asus A7V8X motherboard sporting an Athlon XP 2500+. I eventually did a restore to a time before I had installed all my latest Asus drivers and it started working. I believe that the VIA 4 in 1 drivers were the culprit. It took me all day to figure that out, so I thought I might spare someone else the aggravation.

By the way, does anyone know the best AGP settings in the Asus BIOS for the 9700 pro? I'm also wondering why my "AGP Capability" setting is stuck at 8x and my "Graphics Aperture Size" won't go above 32MB.

1 Mar 22, 2003, 12:13am EST Report Abuse
Supposedly the via agp drivers should be reinstalled after loading agp card drivers to prevent possible agp controller driver corruption.
I would provide you with my settings for my a7n8x deluxe but it isnt a via chipset rather an nforce 2 chipset, so that probably wouldnt help you to much. I can though say that I have 2-9700pros running on nforce 2 boards flawlessly with these settings enabled;
fast write
8x
auto driving mode
aggressive agp timing (asus feature only I think)
fast read...etc
Basically I have had all settings enabled as it relates to agp.

I have also had these same two cards in the following boards with the same settings and no problems.
msi kt333 ultra
msi kt4 ultra-ar
msi kt4vl
soyo kt333 dragon ultra platinum
soyo kt400 dragon ultra platinum
gigabyte ga7vrxp

I have overclocked both of them, underclocked both of them.....and with the exception of lack of the volt mods I havent had any problems. In an effort to force problems though, I have been able to achieve some peoples symptoms.
By uninstalling radeonator 2.0 I was able to seriously botch the registry settings which resulted in crashes, hangs, etc. From there I tried to fix the problem and couldnt. My only choice was to do a system restore. Im sure some of the reg edit pros out there could have figured that one out though. The restore worked just fine though.
By installing my buddies turbolink psu into my system I was able to get it to show distorted and tiled images which was the result of lack of power...if your an overclocker then youll see it right away as the picture if it even boots will look as if you have overclocked the memory clock beyond the stock voltage capibilities. The cure there ,since he was cheap, was to remove excessive devices from his system like the floppy,extra cd drive, cold cathodes....etc.
Another time, I was able to totally corrupt the install by allowing windows to install its own whql drivers and then overlapping them with catilyst 3.2 drivers.....duh, that will result in a device failure message from windows......cure; uninstall anything and everything labeled ati then after restarting do not install new drivers untill windows has seen the card and asked you if you want to use its drivers.....click no and dont allow windows to do anything....then wait untill windows has given up on the device install and then install your drivers. Sometimes it may help to clear the nvram from your bios and enable plug and play os so the os can assign or reassign memory banks or irq info to the device.
Probably most important is to not get drunk before installing this card....the install can easily be messed up by missing a windows message and clicking yes when you shouldnt.

Chris Wat Mar 22, 2003, 03:00am EST Report Abuse
Dear all,

okok, I now have to time to give more info..

ook... i tried the followings:- (all try were done with latest driver installed)

1. Fast write(OFF), AGP in ATI crtlpanel(8x), BIOS(8x) = lockup
2. Fast write(ON), AGP in ATI crtlpanel(4x), BIOS(8x) = lockup
3. Fast write(ON), AGP in ATI crtlpanel(8x), BIOS(4x) = lockup
4. Fast write(ON), AGP in ATI crtlpanel(4x), BIOS(4x) = working!!

b4 i changed power cord, so that the ATI card is only sharing with a secondary CDRW drive(seldom in use), my computer shuts down during restart (maybe due to power surge at restart).. but now. i dont have this problem anymore.

(FYI) I also have a score of 3980 from 3Dmark2003...

feel free to provide more assistant to anyone with similar problems... but i know how it feels to have new (just-off-the-self) components not working...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@#@!#!@##!@

------------------------------
ASUS P4G8X -Deluxe (AGP Core to 1.6V, AGP Aperture 128MB, USWC)
P4 2.4@2.7GHz - 600FSB
ATI 9700non-pro (4x in ATI ctrl panel and BIOS) - latest driver from ati
1GB Samsung 333DDR RAM
27.3GB IBM Deskstar
120GB Maxtor
Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1
Teckram SCSI controller
Cooler Master CPU Heatsink
etc....

Xtreme PC Mar 22, 2003, 09:31am EST Report Abuse
I have the Asus P4G8X mobo and ATI A-I-W- 9700 Pro 8x video card. I was getting the same hangup and then the video goes back to 600x400. In event viewer it shows that the ATI driver is the problem. I contacted both ATI and ASUS regarding the matter. Asus BIOS is 1003g. They have a Beta version of 1004_004 so I upgraded to it. I tried the ATI drivers that were available in February and still crashed. ATI sent me a new card that should have been a newer revision, but it was the same rev. I downloaded the latest ATI drivers and installed them. Crashed within 2 minutes. Formatted the computer and reinstalled Windows XP pro. Reinstalled latest ATI drivers and everything seems to be fine. Before I could not play Unreal 2003 but now no issues. I just downloaded the latest Intel chipset drivers and will install them and let everyone know what is happening. Hopefully the latest ATI drivers fixed the problem because this issue does not happen when running an Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti4200 video card. Even Asus told me to use an Nvidia card instead.
This is definately not a power supply issue since I have the Vantec Stealth 550 watt power supply. This video card works fine in a 4X environment (had it in a P4PE for 3 months)

ASUS P4G8X -Deluxe (AGP Core to 1.6V, AGP Aperture 128MB, USWC)
P4 3.06@stock speed and fan
ATI All-in-wonder 9700 Pro (latest driver from ati)
1GB Corsair TwinX PC3500
(4x) Western digital 80GB 8MB cache HDD
Promise Fastrack 2000 Raid Controller
Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1

FYI - 3DMark03 score 6325
3SMark2001SE score 17985

1 Mar 22, 2003, 11:57am EST Report Abuse
that is a known driver conflict......you must completely uninstall the card, then go into your program files folder and remove anything labeled ati. For safe measure I would clear the nvram from the bios.
reboot and watch windows close while giving it time to see the new card and DO NOT allow windows to install anything for the card. Be sure to give windows a few minutes to clear the installation wizard, depending on your system this could take up to 5 minutes. DO NOT click automatically install best drivers. Just click cancel to anything windows offers.
Then download the newest drivers and control panel from ati. Install the driver first and then the controll panel. If you can save the aiw extra software for last then do it. Just stop at control panel and driver install so you can test the cards basic functionality. Once you have the drivers running well then you can install the added stuff.

1 Mar 22, 2003, 11:59am EST Report Abuse
awsome psu by the way.....check my site tommorow and Ill have some modes you can do to it.

Jackie Chan Mar 22, 2003, 12:01pm EST Report Abuse
So DocMod, how can I hook up my 9700 Pro to a seperate PSU? I have a 230W PSU Id like to hook it up to, but how would I turn the PSU on? It would be seperate for the 9700 Pro, not hooked up to the ATX power connector like the actual PSU for my system.

1 Mar 22, 2003, 12:05pm EST Report Abuse
Im not sure what time it is in your time zone but Im in the pacific u.s. timezone and Ill take some pics really quick then post them at my site for ya.....check the below link at 10a.m. pacific time. I have also eliminated the atx from inside since this one is dedicated to an 80watt peltier for the radeon and some uv cold cathode lighting. Youll like this one though cause it is really clean and I sleeved the wiring with custom uv reactive sleeving.

Adam Martin Mar 22, 2003, 12:45pm EST Report Abuse
Haha...I took my ram out and beat it a little (yes physically beat it), vacuumed out my whole system, and removed my system fan...respread the existing paste....and put it back on. Now, my 3dmark is only 13960 (around 4400 with the new one)..(166mhz => 2.5 4bank 3t 6 3t 2t 4 3t 3t and 64mb) but I can run all games now with full graphics, etc, with no problems. Hopefully this will last. Either I did something or maybe my card just decided to start working (maybe knocked it or something). Well, whatever it was I hope it lasts. If I come up with anything new I will let you all know.

-----------------------------------------------
Intel P4 2.8 Ghz 2x 512mb ram (OCSystem Overclocked PC3200)
Soyo Dragon Lite P4X400
Radeon 9700 Pro 128
120GB Hard Drive
CD-RW and DVD drives
Creative SB Live w/ 6 speaker system
--------------------
1 Mar 22, 2003, 01:14pm EST Report Abuse
psu mod is up on my site, a little late I know......

BTW, your score will be over 15,000 if you can get some ddr that will do 2-2-2-5t-1t-2bank (corsair). The scores you are getting are consistant with cas 2.5 and less aggressive settings so it sounds like you are doing good! :-)

Chris Wat Mar 22, 2003, 02:09pm EST Report Abuse
Dear me,

I have some bad news... my 3D gaming is fine now... but my windows just suddenly turn back to 600x400 again after i left it on for a few hrs..
I just left my computer idled coz i went out for a drink.

Man.. what can i do to solve this problem!!???

FYI, pls refer to previous post for my computer settings..

Chris (disappointed man afterall)

1 Mar 22, 2003, 02:37pm EST Report Abuse
checked your last post but so no mention....what windows are you using? Have you fully updated it? built by ati or powered by? You are using a 9000non pro which has less processing power then a 8500 so.....are you using a screen saver that requires more power? You left the machine going while you went out and came back to find a lower res with no error screen? The only possible causes are a general card failure or a screen saver kicked in that kicked the cards but.
What monitor? Im using a 23inch widescreen sony that will exhibit those symptoms if I run a screensaver from xp plus at resolutions above 1600x1200 which is the 9700pros res limit. Granted it does run the desktop perfectly at 1900x1280@32bit however the transistion in dvi from a screensaver running 1280x1024@32bit to the desktop at 1900x1280@32bit seems to question the true plug and play ability of the monitor.

Jackie Chan Mar 22, 2003, 02:54pm EST Report Abuse
DocMod,
Didnt really understand the PSU thing at all..... My question is, I want to use my 400W PSU for my system as it is being used, but use a seperate 230W PSU for my Radeon. My question is how would I turn the Radeon's 230W PSU on since it wont be hooked up to a motherboard?

If your pictures show this, explain it a little, I didnt understand. Thanks

1 Mar 22, 2003, 03:17pm EST Report Abuse
okay, hmmmm, let me be more descriptive.

before you do anything get a print out from the manufacturer of your power supply to find out which pins on your atx connector are in fact "power-on", and "common". Never trust color codes. You should be able to get this printout from the manufacturers website. If not then do a search for your model to find it.

your 400watt psu is your master (since you will use its atx on the mobo)

your 230 watt is going to be your slave (power on when your master does)

in order to do this you must identify 2 wires on both power supplies. The first and most important is the power on wire which is pin 14 on your atx cable....look to your psu manufacturer for your pin configurations. The other wire is pin 15 which is a common.
Take the wire from pin 14 on your master psu and attatch it to pin 14 on your slave psu. Then take pin 15 on your master and attatch it to pin 15 on your slave psu.
for clarity; when I say pins I mean the tiny plugs that make up your giant nylon atx plug. There are many ways to connect the wires. You might be good at soldering and want to make it clean by soldering a jumper wire from one atx pin to another, or the easiest is to get some small crimp sleeves and cut the wires, strip them, and then reattatch them with the with the jumper. In effect you will have a "T" connecting the "power-ons" and another "T" connecting the common wires. The cleanest way is to pull the pin from the plug and solder the wire to the original crimp.
You can see the end result if you look at the black vantec with orange sleeving. Look at the 2 conductor yellow sleeved wires that I have attatched to my power on and common. Thats it.....most importantly you must identify the correct pair of wires for your psu. Then in the end if you want to really clean it up you can trace the rest of the wires from your slave psu back into the board and remove them! Of course sleeving them will make them much cleaner as well.

Jackie Chan Mar 22, 2003, 03:20pm EST Report Abuse
Ok I got it, though I doubt it will solve my problem, but you never know.

Joe Smolinski Mar 22, 2003, 04:03pm EST Report Abuse
Oops, hit enter too quick...

I posted a while back that I RMA,d my card and all was well.
Since my board was kinda crappy, I upgraded to an Asus A7V8X, XP 2400+. I also did the new case new psu, which is now a chieftec xspider, with an Antec True Power 430, I'm only running 1 HDD, a CD, CDRW, and 3 fans. This 9700 pro was working fine in my ECS K7VZA with a 1.4 t-bird, but since I put it into this new PC, I've been having problems. I upgraded my bios and doing that made it so I am unable to change from 4 to 8x(it stays on 8), and also the AGP aperture will only go 8 16 32. I haven't changed the bios yet, or even installed all my games(being that I did a format upon building this new PC). The only game I have installed was Soldier of Fortune 2. I've got it working, but I get checkerboards on some of the models, and maybe some sparkles on the grassy areas. Then I installed an older game to see what would happen. I installed SOF1, and it performs an illegal operation after a couple min. I know the card works because I had it in another system working fine, but I can't seem to work out all the bugs.

BTW, I have 1 512Mb stick of Samsung pc2700.

Jackie Chan Mar 22, 2003, 04:53pm EST Report Abuse
Docmod, got my seperate PSu for radeon setup, but it didnt solve the problem :( GOod try though. Ill use it anyways.

So, do we all need to RMA our cards? Or is there hope at all?

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.