Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1654 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:20am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon 9700 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>
Josh Eck Mar 25, 2003, 12:37pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700
In context to what everyone here is writing I also have a problem with my 9700 Pro with my nForce 2 Chipset with an Athlon 2500+ Barton processor and 512mb DDR333 ram.

Everytime I fire up a game, the game will either crash, freeze, or reboot my system. An error appears most of the time saying "general protection fault" and gives me a lot of different things, but at the end of every error, the word "MainLoop" appears.

ATI responded to my email the next day about the problem and gave me a bunch of useless links to where I might be able to solve the problem. That would have been great if all those links weren't for all the cards and not just their 9700 Pro. Obviously it was a generic email and nobody personally attended to my problem. But I did run into one thing that it suggested on the email and that was to check to make sure that my card was not sharing an IRQ with any other device in the system, and wouldn't you know it, it is sharing it with my Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Platinum. Going to see if changing the sound card to another PCI slot or adjusting the IRQ in the bios is going to help me any. I will get back in here and let you know if it does.

In the meantime, if anyone else has this problem with an nForce 2 on an MSI motherboard, I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks :)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
BlackHawk Mar 25, 2003, 01:38pm EST Report Abuse
I have a built by ATi 9700 pro card and it locks up in every game. My system uses an AD77 Infinity board with a VIA KT400 chipset, I have a 550 watt Antec True Power supply, using 2 WD 7200rpm 8mb cache in a raid 0 config, 1024mb Kingston PC3200 DDR ram, AMD Athlon XP 2800+, SB Audigy 2, DVD Player and CD-RW. Also have a couple of cold cathode lights. Innovatek water cooling on CPU and chipset. Using Zalman heatpipe cooler to prevent card from overheating. I have ran out of ideas to make card work. This is the third card I have tried (I RMAed the first to thinking they were bad cards). If anyone knows how to fix this please tell me. I am very frustrated with this card and wishing I had stuck with my nVidia Ti4800SE. Somebody please help me!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I do not suffer from insanity ...
I enjoy every minuet of it!
Jackie Chan Mar 25, 2003, 01:52pm EST Report Abuse
As Ive said before, Im on a nforce2 MSI board. hangs up 10-20 seconds into 3d games.

RMA'd Card today, should recieve a new one within a week.

I always suspected it was heat. Im on an FIC powered by Ati card. FIC does an amazing job with heatsinks. Many things on the card have heatsinks, not just ram and chip. And they are held on with some sort of glue, not tape... But I still think its heat.

We'll see with the new card

Josh Eck Mar 25, 2003, 03:14pm EST Report Abuse
I dont know if its the heat cuz I run my system with the case wide open to counter the heat and I still have problems.

I also tried to change the IRQ of the soundblaster and that didn't work.

Well back to fixing the problem

samwise gamgee Mar 25, 2003, 05:59pm EST Report Abuse
runnin with the side off your case doesnt allways asure cooler temps. some cases reqiere the case be sealed so the hot air can be vacuumed out. with the side off, your fans might just be pushing air around without removing it from the hot spots. my computer will actually overheat with the side off. some thought should be put into which direction your fans blow as well. if all fans blow air in, the pressure will build in your case untill the fans stop pushing air all together. for best results point a few fans in, and a few out. i have 1 120mm fan on the door blowing in directly onto my graphics card and cpu, the rest pointed out.this also allows me to put a filter on the only point of entry for the air keeping my computer dust free.
(dust is also an excelent heat insulator)

Josh Eck Mar 25, 2003, 06:07pm EST Report Abuse
Didn't know that sam, thanks for the advice, going to see what I can do.

Josh Eck Mar 25, 2003, 06:23pm EST Report Abuse
I was also wondering if I am suppose to have a secondary video card showing on device manager. For some reason there shows a secondary 9700 pro in a pci slot and when I try to disable it and reboot, windows finds it again somehow and reinstalls it.

I was wondering if this causes a conflict and if so if there is something I can do to turn it off.

marcoathome Mar 25, 2003, 07:09pm EST Report Abuse
My 9700 Pro device properties shows a secondary adapter also. I am not having any problems with my card so I believe it should be there.

Chris Wat Mar 25, 2003, 08:42pm EST Report Abuse
Hey John Carter,

I know how it feels man... although i had mine sorted out (3D games) by pushing it from 8x to 4x. but my resolution do sometimes turn back to 640x480 in windows from time to time (once a week i think).

also, I found that even an ATI 9000 pro plays much much smoother than my 9700 during gaming @1280x1024...

I think i have had enough with this bloody card.. I know this card is great, but thats when it works.. Its ashame that ATI didnt really work more on the compatibility for their drivers/cards.... SIGH

I think I will change mine to GeForce FX as soon as it comes out.. cant wait...

Chris

1 Mar 25, 2003, 09:00pm EST Report Abuse
dual dacs onboard, thats why it shows 2. Be very carefull though cause if you uninstall one and the other is using ati drivers then when you reboot you will be using 1 ati driver and 1 driver of xp's choice. If you have more then one set of ati drivers in your system then xp may choose the wrong ones. Why would you have more then one driver? I have a whole folder of ati drivers just so I can test for higher benchmarks.

1 Mar 25, 2003, 09:01pm EST Report Abuse
sorry the objective there is not to uninstall one without the other...sorry if that seems a little confusing. This is a dual head display, that is why you need both.

Jackie Chan Mar 25, 2003, 09:52pm EST Report Abuse
How hard do you all think itd be to clock a 9500 pro to 9700 pro speeds? Possible without water cooling or anything major? I wanna get rid of this whole 9700 pro card

1 Mar 25, 2003, 10:01pm EST Report Abuse
yes, here is some some onfo on overclocking or removing the lock that ati put in the 9500pro.....
http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/ati_radeon_9500_pro_ove...efault.asp

Josh Eck Mar 25, 2003, 11:09pm EST Report Abuse
Thanks for that. I have now installed windows 2000 pro, and talked to PC Club cuz thats where i bought the card and they said that they have not had any problems getting it to work with my motherboard.

So I am now going to contact MSI and see what they say.

BlackHawk Mar 26, 2003, 12:02pm EST Report Abuse
Does anybody know how to make this card work?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Josh Eck Mar 26, 2003, 01:18pm EST Report Abuse
I just got off the phone with MSI. If anyone has the MSI K7N2 nForce 2 Motherboard, the 9700 Pro is NOT compatible with it. You can either wait for the new bios update, which the guy claimed would be coming out in about a week, or trade it in for a board that would actually work.

Thought I would let you guys know, I'm going to trade in for a better board.

Jackie Chan Mar 26, 2003, 05:12pm EST Report Abuse
Whoa, thanks for the info.

He really said it'd be out in a week and would fix it? If so Ill wait

Josh Eck Mar 26, 2003, 05:30pm EST Report Abuse
Yep one week, he said, but you know how companies are, they never release updates on time.

I actually couldn't wait and decided to go out and buy an ASUS mobo with nForce 2 chipset and it works just fine. No lockups and no probs.

Yes I am a happy camper, cuz now I can finally play Raven Shield.

1 Mar 26, 2003, 08:28pm EST Report Abuse
Something for those with no boot to check:
Was it difficult to get the cards mounting bracket into the case? Sometimes you wil have to bend the portion that screws in outward in order for the card to seat fully into the agp slot. Just ran into this while setting up bench system on the table and noticed that the card actually pushes beyond the motherboard significantly...in my case the table was preventing it by about a millimeter.
Sometimes we look too deep and the problem is right in front of our face!

BlackHawk Mar 27, 2003, 07:39am EST Report Abuse
Found out my problem was my motherboard. Apparently the 9700 pro isn't compatible with the AD77 Infinity, even though both ATI and DFI told me it was. I suck the card in my friends machine and it ran flawlessly first try. He has an Asus nForce2 board.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.