Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 790 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 07 - 11:43pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon 9700 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>
samwise gamgee Mar 27, 2003, 06:51pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700
i'm getting another card sent to me by newegg.com. i know its a little off topic but, i'm just thrilled that they will replace my card, no questions asked, up to a year from the purchase date. dont even need a reciept.
Newegg might charge 10$ more than the lowest price on the net, but you will know where that 10$ went the first time you have a problem.
i dont work for them or anything, just after dealing with gigabyte trying to get an rma #, (they said they would fax it on the 24th,yeah, that didnt happen) gigabyte also said it would take a MONTH or so to send me back my hardware.refurbished.
now im gettin a new one, and it'll be here monday. kik ash

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Timothy Klaus Mar 29, 2003, 10:19pm EST Report Abuse
Hello all...I am new to this forum and just hope that somebody might have some insight into my problem. Here is a rundown of my new system:
Gigabyte GA-8INXP mobo
Intel P4 3.06GHz Hyper-Threading enabled
1.0 GB Kingston 266Mhz DDR RAM
ATI AIW 9700 Pro (running in 8X AGP)
Creative Audigy Platinum 2

I was surprised to find so many folks with problems with their ATI Radeon 9700s. I am encountering similar problems. Initially, my system would lock-up perhaps 1-5 minutes into launching a 3D game (Delta Force BlackHawk Down, and Hitman 2). These were non-recoverable lock-ups requiring resetting the system. There is some evidence of infinite loop problems (music stuck and repeating). I downloaded and installed latest drivers from ATI and DirectX 9.0 from Microsoft. I thought I had beaten the problem, but I was wrong. Now, I experience lock-ups 15-20 minutes after launching the game. But boy...how fast the system runs for those quality 15-20 minutes!!! LOL. (At least I still have my sense of humor after shelling out $3000) Any insight into these issues (especially if you are familiar with my particular hardware) would be greatly appreciated. This is the first system I built up from scratch, and I am determined not to let it be a flop! Thank you.

Xtreme PC Mar 30, 2003, 09:10am EST Report Abuse
Fixed the ATI 9700 problem. I have been running stable now for over a week, gaming, overclocking, benchmarking etc. Here is my system setup and what I had to do to solve the 600x400 resolution issue and computer hang-ups.

Asus P4G8X with Intel P4 3.06 Ghz
Corsair TwinX 1024 DDR400 ram
ATI All-in-wonder 9700 Pro
Promise Fasttrack 4000 Raid controller
no need to carry on here....

Tried tons of stuff and until now nothing worked. But this is how I got it to work. Downloaded the latest BIOS update 1004_004 beta (yes I know, Beta since Dec 2002). In the BIOS, turned off Fast Write option, changed AGP voltage to 1.6. Downloaded latest ATI drivers, INF driver and monitor driver. Formatted hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP Pro. Installed the latest INF driver, rebooted and installed the latest ATI drivers (make sure you install them in the proper order). After rebooting go into display settings and hit advanced. Turn off the Fast Write option.

That's it. So far no issues. Just to let everyone know, I own a pc resale/repair shop so I have lots of parts to test with. There is no setup issues with the ATI 9700 cards on a mobo running 4X AGP (ie: Asus P4PE). This issue is only on 8X mobo and appears to affect all manufacturers. After contacting ASUS, MSI, SOLTEK and ATI several times this is definately and ATI issue. I have tried 4 ATI cards, all the same. ATI even sent me another card saying it was the latest version of the card, but it was no different than the other 3, same rev number. There is no issues with the Nvidia cards, but the ATI definately has better graphics.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Martin Schultz Mar 30, 2003, 12:15pm EST Report Abuse
Well....

I bought a new Mainboard, and it has solved my problem...

MSI says that the MS-6398E board supports the Ati Radeon PRO, but it doesent... With a new MS-6730 it all began to function...

1 Mar 30, 2003, 02:58pm EST Report Abuse
the whole agp8x thing should be disregarded considering I have 2 radeon 9700pros personally in my home and I have setup and tested somewhere between 15-18 for customers of my own. All of the systems have been kt333,kt400, or enforce 2 chipsets and in all but 2 cases they worked flawless and proceed to work flawlessly under agp8x settings.
The 2 that didnt work where from another company and where not built by ati cards....in those cases we were never able to get them to work in any system we attempted.
Remember that with systems like ours we must take into account the fact that everyone will have issues of one sort or another and whether or not they can work around them will depend on whether they can correctly identify their problem.
To say that agp8x doesnt work from any of those companies is simply an incorrect statement and for one of their reps to announce that makes me think that maybe he was a sales guy and not a tech guy.
To test every radeon 9700pro that I install I use the following tests. ut2003, 3dmark03,3dmark2001se, and microsoft combat flightsim 3. I only build systems for select local people that know a bit about systems and I ussually build them and teach them at the same time since they are gamers and I dont want to have to troubleshoot every little need for a game patch.
There has only been one instance where a machine has come back due to failure to render 3d and that was simply due to the customer overlapping drivers.

Jackie Chan Mar 31, 2003, 01:31pm EST Report Abuse
Dunno if this helps.......

But I rma'd my 9700 Pro today. Popped in my old Ti4200, and low and behold **SAME** problem in games. Hung 5-10 seconds in. Interestingly when I blew more air onto the CPU and onto the vid card I last 30 seconds into games...

Maybe not the 9700 Pro? Dunno.... But only happens in 3d games, and always under a minute.

MSI Nforce2 MB
2X256 OCZ PC3200 Ram
Athlon XP 2400+
Running 200/400 FSB

Brian Kelley Apr 01, 2003, 11:13pm EST Report Abuse
I have had my 9500pro for almost three months now. I have not been able to play a game sense. If I had to do it all over, I would rather had a little less graphics capability that NOTHING AT ALL.
ATI sent me another card and it fails hard. Direct x 8 failure. My old card at least it passes dxdiag most the time. New card fails dirext x 8 but passes 9.
My old card when I run NO ONE LIVES FOREVER2 my computer reboots. My power supply is good. Any Bios voltage increase???

Gygabyte GA-7vaxp ultra
512 ram
80gb hard drive
win 2000
400W Sparkle power Int.
2400+ AMD xp
New bios F4(you have more options in bios if you press CNTL F1 from main bios menu)
WIN 2000 updated
ATI 3.2
What is an INF file some talk about?
do we need a monitor driver?

I need some help if there is other users like my setup

JC Bailey Apr 02, 2003, 10:02pm EST Report Abuse

well seems like MY issue is the video card overheating,
i put a new cyclone fan in the slot below the card, it is working
fine, no lockups at all now.!!! wooHoOOO!
i was locking up anywhere from 1 - 5 minutes into any game.

soyo dragon p4x400 ultra platinum
ati radeon 9700 pro
corsair xms ddr400 pc3200 (running @ 333) 512mg chip
agp set to 1.6v
fast writes disabled in both bios and smartgart.
400 watt psu

Jackie Chan Apr 03, 2003, 01:12am EST Report Abuse
Congrats. I RMA'd my powered by Ati card which I now feel was overheating... I bought a built by Ati card today, SAME prob. Card feels really hot too.....

I hate computers.

Outa Myhead Apr 03, 2003, 06:37am EST Report Abuse
Oops pressed enter instead of tab, anyway the overheating problem is the whole reason I bought the Zalman Heatpipe for my card. Ever since then I have had no problems at all.

See bio for system setup.
1 Apr 03, 2003, 10:10am EST Report Abuse
Honestly, you couldnt go wrong with a card cooler....I have 2 fans in the door (80mm x 25mm) to take the heat off the heatsinks on the ram and to assist the crystal orb on the gpu. Then if noise is your concern you can get a reobus from newegg, pcmods, heatsinkfactory...etc.
Even if you use the heatpipe assembly you still need some airmovement in the case to remove the heat from it. Im sure most of you have adequate cooling but may benifit from using round cables for your devices and at least zip ties for your power wires inside.
Something new by way of problems from a buddy of mine.....this one is more common sense then anything though. He was complaining that every game he played resulted in a critical error message indicating that the card wouldnt render some textures. I took his machine in and found that he was setting his games for max detail and max textures but then running the card with the slider at max performance.
Well, running the card at max performance turns off its capibility to render truform, v-synch, and seems to effect its performance when using advanced pixel shaders. When turned back to quality all was well for a while but his mess of wiring inside the case was preventing air movement so eventually the games would crash anyway. His case doesnt have a hole for a fan in the door so I gave him the door from my old hacked up spider case and a fan which has completely solved the problem.
If your interested, you can get one of the chieftech spider cases for around $109 at directron.com.....it comes with 3 intakes and 1 exhaust and its all alluminum. 1 intake in the front, 2 intakes on the vid card, and 1 exhaust to the rear left of the cpu. If you really want movement then you can do what I did and use all of them as intakes but then cut in a 120mm at the top for exhaust...works well since heat rises!:-)

1 Apr 03, 2003, 10:25pm EST Report Abuse
>> heat
okay, just for the heck of it I thought that since I have these 2 9700pros that have never given me a problem that I would pull the 2 fans that I had cooling it from the door of my case and play for a while to see the results.
I let the system run on a intense screensaver for a while first just to heat things up a little.
From the start it was crash after crash with critical errors galour. I wasnt able to finish a game even once and I had unreal 2003 set for 2 minute bouts.
So I guess its safe to say that heat does play a major part. For those of you with cards assembled using thermal tape instead of compound you would likely benifit from cleaning off the tape and using some arctic silver adheasive instead.

Jackie Chan Apr 04, 2003, 01:52am EST Report Abuse
Interesting. ANyone know where I can get the Zalman heatpipe thing?

Dan Apr 04, 2003, 08:10am EST Report Abuse

1 Apr 04, 2003, 09:55am EST Report Abuse
you can get the heatpipe from just about anywhere but you will still need a good amount of air movement in the case in order to remove the heat from the from the heatpipe or atleast a card cooler. Otherwise it will just get hot and hold the heat in.
Inncodentally, I put my 2 door fans back in and ran ut2k3 all night at 1280x1024 with everything maxed. I took a custom one on one map and put 12 bots in there...lol....it didnt crash once. I do have a ton of airflow though with 4 intakes(80mm), and 2 exhaust at the top (1x80mm, 1x120mm).

Jackie Chan Apr 04, 2003, 11:01am EST Report Abuse
Daniel.

You problem is a power problem. 99% of the time when the Radeon literally shuts down under normal windows use its because the power supply cant give it enough power. Ive seen this alot, and you have to restart and you get that error etc. Ive also seen it alot with Nvidia cards, but not because of power. Nvidia cards, even under normal Windows yse, get very hot, and can shut down. But I can tell you right now that if youre getting weird lockups under normal windows use or if the screen is reverting back to crappy graphics because of a display device failure under normal windows use, its because of the power supply.

Get a new power supply, with a good brand name. Some people go for 550w power supply but all you need (unless you have a lot of extra things like fans) is a 400W BRAND NAME power supply. Hope this helps.

1 Apr 04, 2003, 12:11pm EST Report Abuse
assuming you are fully updated with xp.....you might try the omega drivers from here which are optimized for odd resolutions http://www.omegacorner.com/

Chan is right though, it does sound like a power problem.....though with some of the intense screensavers I have seen this caused by heat as well. Though your mobo sensor may indicate 25c the flow might not actually go across the video card. The best way to tell is run the system and hold your hand over and under the card to make sure you have at least some airflow. card coolers are soooo cheap and they will eliminate any doubts you might have.

Dan Apr 04, 2003, 12:32pm EST Report Abuse
Thanks Jackie and Matt,
Besides the 9700 and the 3G P4, I have 1g PC2100 Ram, 2 Maxtor 80G drives (stripe), I WD 160G HD, 1zip, 1CD, 1CD/RW and 1 floppy. Fans are as follows (all 80mm): 2 rear case fans (Tornado), 2 front hd fans (Antec smart power) and one door fan (stock). The case is an Antec Plus1080AMG with a True power 430W supply. Before replacing the power supply I will move the 9700 power connection on a dedicate feed from the power supply, and of course check the 9700 for proper heat dissipation. Thanks...I'll tell ya', there's a bunch of generous and knowledgeable experts in this forum...I hope I can reciprocate!!!

Thanks again,
Dan

Jackie Chan Apr 04, 2003, 02:24pm EST Report Abuse
I can tell you right now, all that stuff on a 430W will NOT leave enough power for the Radeon. On a 400W I had my mobo, the Radeon, 1 cd drive and 1 40g hard drive, and 2 case fans. It was antec which is a pretty good name. That alone did not leave enough power for the Radeon. What I did was bought a cheap $20 350W power supply off eBay and used that ALONE for Radeon and everything else on the computer used the original 400W PSU. Since then it never had that problem, though my original problem of shutdown under 3d games still exists... Still trying to sort that out.

Dean Janzen Apr 04, 2003, 06:29pm EST Report Abuse
Just got my 9700 and plugged it in. I have vertical lines whenever the computer is at low resolution. (ie. At bootup.) UT2003 will run, but with huge vertical lines on the screen. Windows Xp desktop at low res shows lines, but doesn't at high res. Any idea? I've tried Changing all AGP settings in the bios.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.