Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1225 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 21 - 10:24pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon 9700 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>
1 Apr 04, 2003, 07:09pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700
sounds like a sapphire with a inadaquate power supply.....that is of course assuming the drivers are loaded correctly, windows is updated, and of course your fan isnt falling off the card...lol

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
marcoathome Apr 04, 2003, 07:14pm EST Report Abuse
I have a Enermax 465 Watt supply and it powers two 120GB disk drives, CDRW, CDROM, motherboard, cpu fan, 8X fan, two case fans, two neon lamps, and the Radeon 9700 Pro. No problems at all. More than enough power to do the job. I do not believe power is the issue, rather good cooling and the correct drivers is.

Dan Apr 04, 2003, 09:24pm EST Report Abuse
Jackie,
I took everything off that was not needed..it seems everyrhing is ok. But I loaded all the new devices drivers and control panel. SmartGart indicates 8X graphics, but my screen now paints very slow....is there a setting to get it up to speed..previous the SmartGart was 4x
Thanks,
Dan

Dan Apr 04, 2003, 09:36pm EST Report Abuse
incidentally, changing the bios to 4x did not help the slow screen update

1 Apr 04, 2003, 11:03pm EST Report Abuse
>> 9700pro into 9800pro for free?
yep....check it out.http://www.icrontic.com/?action=article&id=411&page=1

Dont do this untill you have your card working normal anyway.

Daniel Valadares Apr 05, 2003, 03:48pm EST Report Abuse
Hello All

I just got a brand new comp with the ATI AIW Radeon 9700 Pro and it's been nothing but trouble. I've been getting these damn Infinite loop errors and they won't stop. Like Timothy Klaus and Daniel Barbarito, I too have a similar system configuration:

P4 3.06GHz
Gigabyte GA8INXP Mobo
2x256 Kingston PC 2100
ATI AIW Radeon 9700 Pro
2xWD 60GB RAID 0 (STRIPE)
Creative 52x CD-ROM
LG 15x DVD-ROM
LG 52x24x52 CD-RW
Enermax 465 VE Power Supply
Thermal Xaser A5000A Black Case w/ 5 Case fans

After spending a good $4000 CDN, you'd expect to get a quality system that works. I didn't. Now I don't know who I should be mad at. Myself for buying such an expensive system, or ATI for making such crappy drivers/card.

And you'd figure that after someone spends $600 alone for a video card, they'd at least be eligible for some free technical support. I guess ATI just doesn't get it. I wish they were like DELL, who will replace anything for any reason, no questions asked, basically.

Anyway, for those of you who live in Ontario and find that Calling ATI is long distance, I may have a solution for you: Go to http://www.labattblueline.com
and register with them. When you're registered just follow their directions on how you can get free long distance calling anywhere in Ontario (Is**t YOU NOT, you go to the site if you don't beleive me).

THen all you have to do is call ATI tech support, and you will not incur long distances charges (but you may still have to pay for tech support charges if you're beyond the 30 day limit). Hope that helps.

NOw, as for my Infinite loop problem... I just feel like taking a bat to my system cause this damn thing never ceases to p**s the helll out of me. I don't know if is a driver problem, or if my card is defective or anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

John Preston Apr 05, 2003, 04:36pm EST Report Abuse
I also have Gigabyte 8INXP motherboard and Gigabyte 9700 pro, and suffered a month of similar crashes.

Apparently the problem is with the E7205 Intel chipset on the motherboard -(see problem products) what p**ses the hell out of me is writting to Gigabyte about twenty times and not getting a reply. How can they ignore this problem yet still advertise this pile of crap as the best thing since sliced bread - and make out they provide a support service!.

Daniel Valadares Apr 05, 2003, 04:41pm EST Report Abuse
Agreed. I too emailled GIGABYTE, and was surprised not to get a response from them. I assumed from their tech support page which said: "We're sorry for not providing you with satisfactory support in the past and we will try our best in the future to answer you ASAP" or something like that...

that' they'd at least go by what they said..STILL NO REPLY FROM THEM....

Oh...and BTW i forgot to mention that my OS is WINDOWS XP PRO OEM (and i paid full price for it!!)...in my previous post...

Laredo Leir Apr 06, 2003, 06:18pm EDT Report Abuse
I purchased a Radeon 9700 Pro video card.The problem im having is mainly gaming issues.I play Dark Ages Of Camelot on a daily basis,since installing my new card I have had major lag issues at start up of game.When I log into game game freezes then slowly the lag will dissappear.Sometimes I have to reboot 2 or 3 times before lag is gone.
I ran a 3D Benchmark test and scored 4,400 which is low from what I hear.Ive loaded latest drivers from Omegacorner and have Directx 9 installed.My motherboard is KT3 Ultra(MS-6380e v1.x) and im running at 1.5 ghz.Any help would be highly appreciated.
Laredo

1 Apr 06, 2003, 07:34pm EDT Report Abuse
which 3dmark test? 2001se or 3dmark 03. If its 3dmark03 then thats about normal for a system with average ram timings (non aggressive), and a chip of that caliber. If you are refering to 3dmark2001se then yeah your right something is definately wrong but we'll have to know which one first.
Im going to assume you meant 3dmark03 and give you some advice....this all depends on the qulity of your ram though too.
check ram timings and shoot for 6 or 7-2-2-2, you may have to increase your ram voltage to get those times, The 9700 pro is a power theif and it may be draining power from other things like the ram.
Download radeonator 2.0 and click the profile tab, then load the 3dmark2001se profile and click ok. Dont attempt to use the overclocking functions unless you have ample cooling....the highest I have been able to get a stock radeon with 2 80mm fans shooting 2 inches from it is 371core and 344mem. They are 69cfm fans too though.
Try running the test to see your results but 4,400 isnt that bad on 03 with a 1.5 stock chip.

Outa Myhead Apr 07, 2003, 05:25am EDT Report Abuse
I don't think the problem is ATI.........well the crappy design of the shim and the heatsink tape is problem they should have fixed by now; the problem lies with the chip manufacturers mainly VIA since most of the GA board use them I haven't seen as many problems with other brands although granted they do have issues, and I did read somewhere VIA rushed out the AGP 8x before Intel finished the specs for it.

I guess VIA think they can fix the problem by bringing out the KT400 "A" chipsets but at the same time leaving anyone who bought the KT400 up a creek without a paddle. Unless your one of the lucky ones and managed to get the chipset and the card working.

See bio for system setup.
1 Apr 07, 2003, 10:14am EDT Report Abuse
yeah, that shim is horrible......What I did for my livingroom system (small oc) this weekend was removed the stock hsf and inserted a solid silver cold plate for peltiers which I trimmed to fit inside the shim and then I dremel buffed a thermaltake crystal orb so the base is straight copper contacting the cold plate. You could do this with a stock heatsink and fan too and it will greatly improve performance but remember that aluminum has no conductive properties and therefor doesnt transfer heat nearly as well as silver,gold, or copper....either way good case fans and clean cableing will be necessary for good air flow.
On my overclocking system I did some tests with power supply stability under small oc loads. I have a couple of 3v and 5v datel led displays which I wired to molex connectors. This allows you to view in real time the fluctuations during load and identify hig consuption devices.
Basically I set it up on the table top. I oc'ed my xp2800 to 2,698, and the radeon to 371,344.....The power consumptions jumped significantly and brought my vantec stealth 520 watt psu to its knees. The 5v dropped from 4.98v to 4.67 and bounced around everytime the hard drive loaded 3dmark03. The fluctuations prevented a stable oc. I then pulled out one of my enermax vp465p-ve psu's and dedicated the cooling to it which involved a basic water setup, 2 delta 80x50mm fans, and 1 panaflow 120mm fan. I thought surely the vantec is stable enough to handle a basic oc with a small load of motherboard assembly, hdd, and cdrom.
Guess again, it still dropped all the way to 4.65/4.67 consistantly everytime the hard drive went into retrieval and the radeon began to draw its initial picture. I then pulled the radeon and put it on the enermax fired everything up and walla! The drop hit 4.88 from the hdd consumption but became much more stable and didnt fluctuate nearly as much.
Conclusion? This card is a big time power hog! The test system hardly had anything on the 520watt psu to begin with.....yet the radeon with a small oc in combonation with a 80 gig maxtor ata133 was able to bring it down. Now if you have a really weak psu like a sparkle, powmax, or turbolink then I can see how you could easily have fluctuations which would effect stock performance stablilty. You have probably seen alot of people give varying results when attempting to overclock the 9700pro.....this is most likely due to power since once I isolateded the psu's the heat became the only crutch.
You can pick up a silver cold plate from any store that sells peltier elements as well as your choice of thermal grease. Here is a good way to tell if your ram or gpu is overheating.....

ram overheating: missing textures, geometric blank shapes.

gpu overheating: tiny particles appear through out the screen that look like missing pixels......pixel shaders are starting to suffer and cannot render all of the image.

If you are not suffing from one of those then you likely have either a power problem or bad card....which happens. :-) Sorry for the length of this one!

Dave Southern Apr 10, 2003, 03:47am EDT Report Abuse
Well I am stunned at the length of this topic..... I have had a Geforce since they began thru to the geforce 4.... I was impressed and they are reliable as hell as people have mentioned in this forum.

But I am one of the converted, The ATI 9700 is an animal but I too paid a price for purchasing one I have had endless problems getting it to be stable as all you guys have, I think I have sussed mine out finally.

I tried most of the methods you guys have put up and have had varied success, the one that worked is as follows

GRAPHICS APERTURE 128mb
AGP 4x
VIDEO MEMORY CACHE UC

That was fine but I hated the fact that I had to underclock my new card so I persisted and I am sure it is running to at its peak :

VOLTAGE 1.7
GRAPHICS APERTURE 256mb
AGP 8x
VIDEO MEMORY CACHE UWSC

I have had this setting for about 24 hours.... and its working like a dream.

Here is my pc spec if someone has similar by all means try my method.
I hope my remedy benefits at least one user...

ASUS P4G8X DELUXE
P4 3.06GHZ
1GB CORSAIR DDR 2700
ATI RADEON 9700 PRO (COMMANDO 2)
SOUNDBLASTER AUDIGY 2
550 W PSU
80GB SEAGATE SATA DRIVE
120GB SEAGATE SATA DRIVE
PLEXTOR 482428 (BLACK)
TOSHIBA DVD ROM (BLACK)
IILYAMA VISION MASTER PRO 454 (19")
ATCS COOLERMASTER ALUMINIUM CASE (BLACK)

C U ALL L8R...

Stuart C Apr 10, 2003, 04:09am EDT Report Abuse
I have found there was three ways to get it working reliably (or a combination thereof). These are:

Put the AGP voltage up to 1.6 or 1.7 (only go for 1.7 if it doesnt work at 1.6)
Set the AGP rate from 8x to 4x.
Set a special thermal cooler for it.
Underclock the card.

After running a lot of tests on my card I found it was crashing due to my graphics card overheating, and a m8 of mine bought a thermal cooler which has allowed him to run his card at 8x, 1.5V, no underclocked.

At the moment I am running at AGP 4x, 1.5V, not underclocked, which does the job for me.

edric Apr 10, 2003, 10:19pm EDT Report Abuse
Hello...
Just wanted to say I was able to solve my INFINITE LOOP ERROR...
I had a g4force MX440 se...thought it was the 3d card...then I bought ATI RADEON...same prob...so I bought a Corsair Low Latency pc2700 512mb to replace my Samsung ddr400 pc3200 512mb Stick...and it worked...I mainly played Battle Realms and Counter Strike...and they froze each time and restart the comp...sometimes its like the computer blacks out...but now everything is freaking STABLE!!!! Although I did give in to the PSU theory so I bought a ANTEC TRUEPOWER 550watts havent installed it yet...turns out the CORSAIR HELPED...Ill just stock it:) YAHOO!!!! IM FREE!!!

AMD xp2400
nforce2 k7n2 m6570
CORSAIR 512mb LOW LATENCY
(pc2700 333mhz)+
Samsung 512mb ddr400mhz pc3200
(512 x 2 =1024mb)
ati radeon 9700 pro
80gib barracuda V
GENERIC 400w PSU
Linksys USB network adpter

edric Apr 10, 2003, 10:45pm EDT Report Abuse
Mind you...Ive tried
the BIOS setting (THAT WONT WORK!!!!)
DRIVERS UPDATE (THAT WONT WORK!!!!!)
HEAT RELATED (if you have a decent setup THIS IS NOT IT!!!!!)

LINKS TO REFER TO (MIGHT HELP ...)
1.MSI NFORCE2 owners

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

2.Another Link...PSU (havent tried this...)

http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=25&thread...TARTPAGE=1

"Ive been through hell and BACK!!!!"

AMD xp2400
nforce2 k7n2 m6570
CORSAIR 512mb LOW LATENCY
(pc2700 333mhz)+
Samsung 512mb ddr400mhz pc3200
(512 x 2 =1024mb)
ati radeon 9700 pro
80gib barracuda V
GENERIC 400w PSU
Linksys USB network adpter
100% INFINITE LOOP ERROR FREE :) YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

1 Apr 11, 2003, 12:55am EDT Report Abuse
sometimes the setup doesnt even matter when it comes to heat. I say this because of the infamous shim that ati placed on the r300. This thing not interferes with the heat transfer but the adheasive they used to fill the gap isnt worth spit.
Dont give up, when I first put a high performance water cooler (not some cheapy) on my 9700pro I couldnt figure out why it was actually getting warmer and performing worse.....after loads of troubleshooting I pulled the waterblock off and noticed that the arctic silver I had placed on the chip had barely contacted the waterblock when I installed it. In that sense there was less contact and heat transfer then even a stock heatsink/fan with the stock adheasive tape that at least had full contact.
The best way to deal with this is to remove the shim.....its not that easy though. This thing is really hard to detatch. I decided that it wasnt worth the effort since I could just fill the gap with a silver or copper cold plate and then all was awsome. Without the volt and ddr mod I was able to oc alot more then before. Its worth it or if you have a machine shop locally you could just have them lap the shim down so you have full contact.
This is a horrible design by ati and they dont really seem to care as they know of the problem and continue to release cards in the same manor.

1 Apr 11, 2003, 12:59am EDT Report Abuse

Outa Myhead Apr 11, 2003, 04:36am EDT Report Abuse
You could try the safer option instead of trying to pry off the shim you could just mill the heatsink by putting some compund on the shim then laying the heatsink on the chip again and when you take it off VOILA! you have the pattern you need to mill. It's cheaper and less likely to mess your card up, just mill out a little more depth than what the gap is between the height of the chip and the shim which is about .2 mm so if you mill about .5 mm off the heatsink you should have a decent contact then (still need some thermal compound though).

See bio for system setup.
Phil Palmgren Apr 12, 2003, 03:45pm EDT Report Abuse
Hey im having problems with the Radeon 9700. once I put it in, i start up and get no response, nothing. No beep code, no display, no activity.
Sys specs:
500w PS
2.4 P4
256 DDR 3500
PC Chips m922 5.0 mobo

Ive updated BIOS and done just about everything else, anyone know what
I can do?

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.