Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1420 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 21 - 11:04pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon 9700 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>
edric Apr 12, 2003, 06:57pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700
Looks like you have to reflash your bios...you have emergency disk???

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Brian Kelley Apr 14, 2003, 12:37am EDT Report Abuse
I have a ATI 9500 pro that I haven't been able to get to work with direct X and open GL.

Im going to by a new motherboard. I currently have a gigabyte GA-7VAXP ultra now. AMD2400+

WHAT MOTHER BOARD SHOULD I BUY FOR COMPATIBILITY?
THANKS Brian

Outa Myhead Apr 14, 2003, 05:27am EDT Report Abuse
Well a lot of people have switched to something not using the KT400 VIA chipset so an Nforce 2 should be okay, but then I'm wondering if you have tried any other drivers with your ATI card, or even a different card on the system you have built?

See bio for system setup.
Tom De Blieck Apr 14, 2003, 06:02am EDT Report Abuse
Solved my "Infinite loop" problem!!!!

I've experienced the same issue of "infinite loop" for about 3 months from now. After all experiments & reinstallations, I came across with a reasen that my motherboard has to be malfunctioning, so therefore I resended it for repairing.
After I got my motherboard back I noticed that it was the same issue I receaved, so parently I wasted a lot of good money (again)...

Eventually I found this forum by change & realised that there were a lot of others experiencing the "infinite loop" problem.

Therefore I started searching the net for possible sollutions, which eventualy I've found one.

I found at the developper of my motherboard some drivers for my videocard & that seemed to solve my issue.

This is my system configuration:
GA-7VAXP Ultra with 1GB memory & Athlon 2600+
Hercules 3d Prophet 9700 PRO

This is the url where I found those drivers:
http://tw.giga-byte.com/VGA/Support/Driver/Driver_Radeon9700PRO.htm

I hope that these drivers might help other with the "infinite loop" issue, at least, it helped me with it!

Greetings

edric Apr 14, 2003, 06:10pm EDT Report Abuse
GOD!!!! I didnt know that these infinite loop errors can come from Software...this is a mystery...some said PSU...it worked...memory worked...now software...this is SO Confusing...Im glad Im out of it...

Jim McGarity Apr 16, 2003, 11:32am EDT Report Abuse
I have been having a similar problem. I just purchased a Radeon 9700 online and it arrived yesterday. It is extremely unstable both in games and on the desktop. I was previously using a Radeon 8500, and while it was more stable, I still experienced frequent crashes and reboots. My system specs are as follows:

Gigabyte 8SG667 (SiS 648 Chipset)
512MB Corsair XMS PC3200
FIC Radeon 9700/Sapphire Radeon 8500LE (Catalyst 3.1 Drivers.. also tried 3.2s)
Sparkle Power 350 W P/S
Intel P4 1.8A

I believe the problem is with the motherboard, I am going to purchase a VIA P4PB today and have it overnighted to see if that solves the problem, I'm also going to try a 400W power supply. If that doesn't solve the problem I am going to RMA the card for a replacement, in case the card is defective. Needless to say, I have tried every BIOS option, tweak and driver update I can think of, to no avail.

It seems a lot of the people here are using Gigabyte mobos. Although I often hear good things about them (which is why I bought this board in the first place), I am beginning to question whether Gigabyte is to blame.

Anyway, I will post tommorow with the result of my efforts.

Dan Apr 17, 2003, 07:22am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Gigabyte Drivers
Are the Gigabyte drivers for the 9700 any different from those I downloaded from ATI?? My problem was solved by switching to 4x...
Dan

Tom De Blieck Apr 18, 2003, 03:18am EDT Report Abuse
They are different, but don't really ask me in what way. The major different is the filesize of it...

ATI drivers: 6.018 KB
ATI Control panel: 4.775 KB

Gigabytes drivers (incl control panel): 28.464 KB

They are both version 7.84.

Greetings

1 Apr 18, 2003, 10:38am EDT Report Abuse
something that may help eliminate power from being a possibilty without having to buy another psu first. If you are familiar with the vcore mod then you can test the voltage going coming out from the controller chip. I have just finished researching this chip from the manufacturer to learn more stable ways of overclocking the chip and one thing that I noticed is that if the voltage going to the chip is not stable but fluctuating then the chip in turn will amplify the instability when releasing the controlled power.
This basically means that the chip hasnt had time to see a good power condition and adjust to a consistant output current.
You cant hurt anything by trying it and your likely to either eliminate the possibilty or identify your problem. I found that by bypassing the on board traces for the controller input by soldering some copper interconnects then I was able to increase the stability greatly.....dont try that at home unless you are used to volt modding boards!
You can test the voltage by placing the positive from your tester on the large solder point about 1/2 inch from the "M" in complies on the top side of the card. You will have to test this while in a benchmark to insure stability.:-) If you need pics just let me know

Michael McCullough Apr 18, 2003, 09:02pm EDT Report Abuse
Hello, I just purchased the 9700 pro all in wonder model, and installation went fine, but when I increase the resolution past 1024x768 the entire display won't fit? It's like my picture is getting bigger instead of smaller and tighter, when i move my mouse the screen scrolls to reveal the rest of my desktop, ut2003 does the same at higher resolutions except without the scrolling. I have a ev700 monitor that came with my gateway, this is probably something simple, but I've poked around with alot of the settings and i'm having no luck

please help

1 Apr 18, 2003, 09:22pm EDT Report Abuse
sounds like you have hydravision installed and running. If you dont intend to use it then you can disable it from within the display control panel or simply uninstall it. What you are describing is a extended desktop on a single monitor. If you wanna keep it installed but cant figure out how to disable it from startup then run msconfig and try to identify and remove the process from the startup.

Jim McGarity Apr 18, 2003, 10:18pm EDT Report Abuse
I'm guessing the power supply thing was in response to me. I checked the voltages in my PC health (my old mobo couldn't do it, but my new one can), and they aren't fluctuating very much. however, some of them are like .5 off what they're supposed to be (i think its the 5v rail), most of the others are at most .2, and they tend to stick at it.

I have definitley determined that the new vid card is broken, but I'm not entirely sure whether my system is completely stable. I have been able to play dungeon siege for an extended length of time with the old vid card. Once I get around to reinstalling C&C Generals (which was previously very unstable) I'll have a better idea of system stability.

1 Apr 19, 2003, 03:54am EDT Report Abuse
checking the mobo voltages wont help since the controller chip on the card itself is responsible for releasing voltage to the core. If you test it on the card using a ground from anywhere in your case and that solder point on top of the card then you will find the voltage that the core of the processor is being given. This is dc voltage also which means that you may have voltage but no amperage or fluctuating amperage.
With software, hardware, and then user differences its rare that anyone will have a direct answer since most people can actually use this card with zero problems. That leaves only 3 possibilities....user error in installing drivers, incompatible hardware, or simply a bad or damaged card.
The psu thing is a big one though...youll notice that enermax has relisted their psu's as being good for high end and modern video cards.
Heat is another big one...I doubt many of you have taken the time to at least zip tie your wiring in the case so that the fans can move the air better. Also, those of you running pentium machines willl likely have an overall lack of case fans all together since the chip doesnt run as hot as amd. Just for example I have never gotten a single 9700pro to work in a system that has only 1 intake and 1 exhaust for any long period of time.
Those systems also require less power and less stable amperage at that...which is why you will see that alot of P4 psu's are not certified for amd machines.
I saw that you have a sparkle power psu.....well, contrary to some reviews the sparkle psu's are not high end at all but are slightly more then necessary to run most pentium based systems. That doesnt mean that their arent other issues but its a start.

ebe ebe Apr 19, 2003, 04:26pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi, I had all the freezes problem everyone had. Just wish to share what solutioned my problems at near 99%

-AGP 4x
-Fast Write NO

et voila !

Other people said it, some working in the computer buisiness too, so please heard them/we. These crap Radeon9700 "powered by ATI" aren't AGP8x compatible, add with a lot of problem with ASUS boards, and other... The ones that said this isn't true simply aren't playing the games to show them..

I mean, in agp8x, some games were running without Freeze (without DX9 at-least), while a lot more (all the MMORPG in fact, mostly Everquest, Neocron etc.) were unplayable, with a lot to some freeze depending the area

So if the guys are only buying expensive card to show their score on 3DMark and playing with Word (there are !!:), or playing BF1942 or such, they could think "no AGP8x problem".. "completely happy"....

Bit Fact is that these cards simply aren't compatible..

Anyway, last ATI card for me, definitely. Back to Nvidia (not this time thoughs :-) I won't by a FX58000 "real Cinema NOISE" for any Reasons. Just hope the NV35 won't have that noise problem.

So, put AGP4x, no Fast Write, perhaps AGP 1.6V.. Don't pass the amount of time I did trying to resolve these Freez problem with reinstall and the hundreds other things to try..

bye

ebe

ebe ebe Apr 19, 2003, 04:31pm EDT Report Abuse
ho and my config

XP 2600/333
1Go DDR333 Ram
Asus A7N8X - Deluxe
SIS Saphire R9700 Pro (yes, one of these crap Saphire)
Windows XP SP1

Believe me that I'm one of the people that don't think the problem
is on ASUS's Side lol :)

I'm really disapointed, as the R300/ATI chipset are the best things today,
best graphic, strengh etc.. Could it be confirmed that the "Build BY ATI" card's are of the best quality ? I heard that the 9800 seem to be better too, confirmed ?

I really wished to keep with ATI..

Joe Smolinski Apr 19, 2003, 09:52pm EDT Report Abuse
Matt, I belive you to be a very wise computer person, and I wanted to ask you a question. In a previous post, you said that if the gpu is overheating, it won't do something right with the pixels(or something to that effect). I only installed one game on a fresh install(soldier of fortune 2), and It runs fine without crashing or lockups, but I have like checkerboard patterns on certain ground areas, and lights, and some "wooden" objects. Could this be what you are speaking of?

Also, I am about to buy the asus a7n8x deluxe, with an xp 2500 barton, and I want to know what brand of ram you would recommend. I'm going to get at least 512, but maybe more, and right now I have an xp2400 on an asus a7v8x with samsung pc2700, and I am definately still having issues with games. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Jim McGarity Apr 19, 2003, 10:10pm EDT Report Abuse
>> powered by vs. built by
I think the problem is with the "powered by ATi" cards. I, for example, bought an FIC Radeon 9700 because it was basically the only option I had for that particular card. Unfortunately I ended up with one of the totally screwed up ones, but I can RMA it, so its okay. Basically a lot of 3rd parties are hit or miss types. Most of the more reliable ones only seem to do the top of the line cards (eg the Hercules 9800 Pro), and ATi seems to stick with only the pro cards and the All-In-Wonder cards. So basically, if you want one of the cards thats the most bang for your buck (like a regular 9700), you're stuck buying hit or miss stuff. However, I have a Sapphire 8500LE right now, as I wait for my 9700 to be returned, and its given me no trouble. I think you were really unlucky there, because I hear almost exclusively good things about Sapphire. I'd also mention that AGP 8x on almost all current motherboards is buggy and unreliable. But you probably won't notice a huge performance gain anyway. Until theres some really heavy hitter DX 8.1 and 9 games, at least (kind of funny hardly anything uses DX 8.1 beyond some limited pixel shader effects).

Tom De Blieck Apr 20, 2003, 07:54am EDT Report Abuse
It's now been over a week that I've had any crashes on my system. I'm playing all the games that I can think about (those that I have at least).
Where in the past my system resulted in a full system lock/rebout it now goes on without any problems.

So basicly speaking, the problem isn't with the videocard (Hercules 3D Prophet 9700 Pro), nor the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra). The problem I was having was that the drivers provided by ATI & Hercules didn't seem to work as it should be with my system. But when I downloaden the drivers from Gigabyte itself, geez, it fliez....

This is the link I used to download my drivers...: http://tw.giga-byte.com/VGA/Support/Driver/Driver_Radeon9700PRO.htm

Greetings

1 Apr 20, 2003, 03:17pm EDT Report Abuse
Joe, thanks, yeah the small missing textures which are ussually dots or groups of dots with missing fill patterns (blanks pixels) are caused by overclocking the vcore on the gpu. When I say overclocking I mean it in a very broad sense. Anytime you run a chip at speeds in excess of cooling or voltage you are overclocking it.
When overclocking any video card you can identify roadblocks by either empty pixels or empty textures of geometric patterns flopping around the screen. The first, empty pixels, is a direct result of either the vcore not getting enough power or having too much heat. The second, empty textures, is a direct result of the ram on the vid card not having enough power or cooling.
Those of us with normal working cards that are into overclocking use these definitions to identify the weakest links in overclocking. We might start off with overclocking the vcore untill we see missing pixels and artifacts of that sort....then do the vmod to add voltage and cooling to compensate for the additional heat. Then push in that direction untill we have reached either the physical limits of the processor or simply untill we cant offer any more cooling.
Its sort of a universal knowledge in the vid card overclocking world to expect to run into artifacts and then be presented with the challenge of pushing beyond them.
If you are getting atifacts and not overclocking then first check to see that the fan is working on the card. Make sure that you dont have anything in the pci slot below it that is causing heat. If you have adequate airflow within your case then you might consider getting some arctic silver compound and remove the stock heat sink and fan then clean off the original adheasive and replace it with arctic silver.
Remember though that if you are going to do this then you might as well doo something about the shim being too high and not contacting. Depending on how confident you are once you see it you can either attempt to remove it (ideal), or mill it down (pain in the arse) to the level of the core.
When I first did this I noticed that the adheasive ATI used to assemble the hsf had tiny airbubbles which could easily cause instability.
Hope some of that helps:-)

Brian Kelley Apr 20, 2003, 11:18pm EDT Report Abuse
TOM D

I try to download the driver your talking about but one for the 9500pro and it said it is a incompatible driver and wont install. Any other ideas?

GA-7VAXP Ultra
9500pro built by ATI
512 ram
400W power supply

Can you send me some info about your bios setting? or other set ups?
Is your video card built into your motherboard? mine is not.
Anything you can send me would be great. This ATI and Via chipset is making me frustraited. THANKS Brian

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.