Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 918 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 07:51am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon 9700 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>
Kuma Hinata Apr 25, 2003, 07:37am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700
Problem could be your power supply. After reading down thru this thread that was an issue for some people. I also have a 300w power supply and I know I can't run my 9700 pro on it. I had to order a new one.

Asus A7N8X Dlx Rev. 1.06 (1004 Uber|SATA bios)
XP1700+ JUIHB DLT3C 0310WPMW with SLK-800U (2341mhz=11.5x203@1.6v)
512mb Corsair XMS3500CPT
ATI AIW 9700 pro (Cat 3.4 drivers - Incredible card!)
120gig WD 8mb Cache HD|Yamaha CDRW
SoundStorm Onboard Aud
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Outa Myhead Apr 25, 2003, 08:57am EDT Report Abuse
Is it happening a little while after getting into the game or randomly?

If it's happening almost as soon as you start playing then it could be the overheating problem like mine did (also with movies just like yours) as in my previous posts I found the normal heatsink was not doing what it was designed to do. So I swapped it for a Zalman hp-ZA80a and have had no problems since, although it is up to you on what cooling method you go for since a Zalman Heatpipe is a passive cooler I did set it up with some case fans to blow through the grills and over the card.

400 Watt PSU
AMD 2600+
spire-Falcon Rock AMD heatsink
GA-7VAXP 1.1
1024 MB DDR (333MHz)
ATI 9700 Pro (rev 1.3) Cat 3.2
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2
27.3 & 123.6 IBM Deskstar 7200 RPM
16x40 LG DVD
52x24x52 Lite-on CDRW
3x80mm case fans + 1 ex P4 Coolermaster CPU fan about 60-70mm

See bio for system setup.
oscar siby Apr 25, 2003, 11:44am EDT Report Abuse
It happens randomly and takes diffrent amount of time to lockup depending of what games im playing.
i dont think its heating problems bc the system temp never goes above 45 celsius.

Kuma Hinata Apr 25, 2003, 03:09pm EDT Report Abuse
Its always hard to tell. Your system maybe at a reasonable temperature but the vid card could still be really hot. The stock cooling isn't that great which just makes things worse.

Your prob could be a heat prob or power problem or a combination of the two. You just have to eliminate variables. You could try leaving the side cover off your case and a fan blowing at your vid card then run a game that normally would crash on you. If it runs ok then you have your answer.

If heats not a problem then you might have to increase the voltage of your AGP slot. If you do all that and still have a problem try underclocking your card. If it works ok then it could be a power problem or heat problem.

Asus A7N8X Dlx Rev. 1.06 (1004 Uber|SATA bios)
XP1700+ JUIHB DLT3C 0310WPMW with SLK-800U (2341mhz=11.5x203@1.6v)
512mb Corsair XMS3500CPT
ATI AIW 9700 pro (Cat 3.4 drivers - Incredible card!)
120gig WD 8mb Cache HD|Yamaha CDRW
SoundStorm Onboard Aud
oscar siby Apr 25, 2003, 03:54pm EDT Report Abuse
where in the bios do i increase the apg voltage? ive looked everywhere.
and yeah there might be my gfx card overheating just checked, it gets quite hot but shouldnt it lockup faster then?

1 Apr 25, 2003, 06:49pm EDT Report Abuse
you really must do a few things....first off get the thought out of your mind that anything and everything should work with everything else. You cant stick ducati rims on suzuki without doing some mods....yeah I do that too....anyway, this is high end stuff and trying to incorporate it into a system is going to require some high end solutions.
Unless your mobo manufacturer has specified an incompatibility with their board then you shouldnt have to sacrifice anything to run the card with full stability. What I mean is dont hunt for agp settings, dont worry about fast write, etc. Here is a check list of the stuff to worry about:

1- adequate power- 300 watt psu's mean that they offer 300 watts max but the average running will only be around 190 to 230 watts. You will notice that companies like enermax advertise compatibilty with high end video cards....there is a reason and the manufacturers are aware of it.

2- tiddy up those wires and make sure that your case fans are up to par and have a clear route to send the air in. Round cables are soo cheap and make a huge difference.

3- make sure that when changing drivers you uninstall both processors, the radeons have dual dacs onboard and you cant run different drivers on both. This is best done through device manager by right clicking and selecting uninstall for both listings for the 9700.

thats it, for the not so obvious stuff anyway....granted proper seating and a good visual inspection is always the first step as someone in an earlier post found that their fan and heatsink assembly was hanging from the card.
Here are some other indications that your psu could be bad or not supplying enough current....I said current and not voltage.
You cd drives might make too much noise even though they are brand new, you inconsistantly get bsod (blue screen of death) errors, you may get artifacts in 3drendering or messages indicating missing textures.

Here are some indications of heat....system hangs, freezes, restarts, but doesnt ussually end up with a bsod unless you have windows set to print a log of system errors and the restart could be a small memory dump function enabled from within the os. For xp it is located here: right click my computer/ properties/advanced/startup and recovery button at bottom/then you will see system failure encolumbed with the options for windows to exicute debugging. Im sure the path is similar within other microsoft os'.

Follow these guidlines and if you cant get stable operation from game patches or this info then chances are you a bad product somewhere in your system.....ussually ram at that point. Check ram timings and start at less aggressive settings untill you can get the video squared away. It would suck if you were troubleshooting the wrong item because the debugging program incorperated into windows has never been perfect.

1 Apr 26, 2003, 07:14pm EDT Report Abuse
>> WTB:
wanted: I need a broken 9700pro built by prefered but doubt its necessary. In removing the aluminum plate over the memory ic the glue was too strong and pulled one of the timing ic chips out. No indications of what chip it is so I cant just order one......so if anyone has a 9700pro that is fried or cracked or jumped on or whatever I will pay or trade parts.
Let me know through the message option if interested!

Lt Gringo Apr 30, 2003, 02:00pm EDT Report Abuse
Hello all 9700 pro people with problems
i have just gone form a geforece ti4800 to a 9700 pro
when playing counterstrike i move forward but am unable to turn with the mouse untill i stop moving forward, (its not lag by the way) and if i try firing off some rounds at the same time i get bleeping noise as if the keyboard buffer is full. When i type team messages it also seems slow and when moving around the game and you take you finger off of forward for example it keeps going for a bit to long than is coorect
I'm guessing its the graphics card coz it worked fine on me old one
tried preety much everything using four previous driver release to the new catalist ones, i'm all out of ideas HELP ME before i resort to the baseball bat!

1 Apr 30, 2003, 07:24pm EDT Report Abuse
wow thats a new one.....what are your system specs including psu,ram,mobo,chip, cooling, etc?

Tommy Schmidt May 01, 2003, 08:14am EDT Report Abuse
I have ...
Gigabyte 8INXP MOBO w/ 2 onboard cooling fans
Boxed P4 2.4ghz 533 FSB w/ boxed heatsink and fan
2 x 512mb 266ddr dram
ATI All In Wonder 9700 Pro 128mb
Western Digital 120Gig 7200rpm ATA 100
Sony DVD-R/-RW DVD+RW/+R CD-R/CD-RW
Mid tower w/ 2 case fans and 350w PS
Samsung SyncMaster Silver 19IN LCD monitor
Creative Inspire 6.1 120w speakers

Windows sometimes crashes due to a graphics card device driver failure
I installed the drivers from ATI's site, still problems. And now when playing C&C: Generals, my computer hangs, then two error beeps from windows and a crazy looking screen with a mixture of pixalated colors. I reboot and windows says i have had a serious error and asks to send to microsoft. My mobo has dual power system which is supposed to make the system very stable. If anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it.

Outa Myhead May 01, 2003, 08:37am EDT Report Abuse
Sounds like the same problem that myself and a few others had or are having, it could be the power supply not putting enough power across or the graphics card is either busted or having a heat problem like mine was.

Easiest thing to do is to take off the heatsink and replace the yellow thermal tape with some decent thermal compound on the chip itself and make sure it has a good contact with the heatsink. If that doesn't work then try another PSU such as a 400Watt or higher, if that doesn't work try the BIOS settings and see if anything needs adjusting.

If that doesn't work read the other posts for clues as there are too many answers to the same problem (namely this card).

1 May 01, 2003, 10:27am EDT Report Abuse
yes, and I dont suppose that psu is a turbolink? I have replaced alot of them lately for friends and I even replaced a turbolink 420 the other day for the same symptoms. 2 case fans is minimal assuming that you are using round cables for your gear and have them neatly zip tied so the air can flow. If you have fan filters make sure to clean them as well especially if you have pets.
command and conquer generals seems to have this problem regardless since I do have a friend with a built by ati 9700 pro that gets the beeps and restarts only when playing that game. Does yours seem to only give you problems in that game?

edric May 01, 2003, 03:47pm EDT Report Abuse
QUOTE from TOMMY SCHMIDT

I have ...
Gigabyte 8INXP MOBO w/ 2 onboard cooling fans
Boxed P4 2.4ghz 533 FSB w/ boxed heatsink and fan
2 x 512mb 266ddr dram
ATI All In Wonder 9700 Pro 128mb
Western Digital 120Gig 7200rpm ATA 100
Sony DVD-R/-RW DVD+RW/+R CD-R/CD-RW
Mid tower w/ 2 case fans and 350w PS
Samsung SyncMaster Silver 19IN LCD monitor
Creative Inspire 6.1 120w speakers

-----------------------------------------------------

Im guessing here but if your board is a GIGABYTE

check out this link

http://tw.giga-byte.com/VGA/Support/Driver/Driver_Radeon9700PRO.htm

It might work....

1 May 01, 2003, 06:07pm EDT Report Abuse
Dont, those drivers are for gigabyte radeon cards.....not aiw built by cards. Nor are they for the mother board.

edric May 01, 2003, 09:05pm EDT Report Abuse
OOPS stoopid me ;\

1 May 02, 2003, 02:32am EDT Report Abuse
:-)

Tommy Schmidt May 02, 2003, 05:41am EDT Report Abuse
those drivers are for powered by ati cards.. i know this, but were you saying the card is not compliant with the mobo?

Outa Myhead May 02, 2003, 07:07am EDT Report Abuse
Well you can launch the game and when your playing the game for a little while it hangs am I right?

If it is doing that in every single game and when playing DVD's and going by the patterns coming up on the screen it does sound like a heat problem or the card itself is damaged in some way.

the heatsink is fairly easy to take off, use a pair of needle nose pliars and squeeze the caps on the underside of the card and then give them a little push through with the butt of a small screw driver (safest way). Once those are out you can then gently pull off the heatsink, you'll probably find it has a yellow gunk stuck to the back of the heatsink.

Take this stuff off and put a fair amount of thermal compound on the chip sink in the middle as there is a space between the chip and the heatsink because of the shim around the edge and don't get any thermal compound on the little transistors or they will pop.

Now just do the reverse with the heatsink seat it on the chip and then take it off to see if any compound is making contact with it should have a nice rectangle pattern on there, if you have you can then put the sink back on and secure it with the spring pins that you popped out earlier and that should be it besides putting the card back in.

This cured my random crashes inside games, playing DVD's and infinite loop errors....although I did go for a passive heatsink to be different.

Har Van der Veen May 05, 2003, 08:41am EDT Report Abuse
Guys,

Although many of you here do not have a mobo based on the Intel E7205 chipset (Granitebay), I do have such a board (Gigabyte 8INXP), and the problem with this mobo and Radeon cards is... the Intel chipset!! Intel has confirmed that their E7205 chipset is unstable if used in conjunction with the AGP 3.0/8x standard. Cure: none. Intel also confirmed on their website (will try to see if I can find the link again) that they will NOT fix this problem. Solution: switch off Fast Write in the ATI settings and set the max speed of the AGP interface to 4x. I know, I know, we all paid for 8x etc., but this solved my problems.

ebe ebe May 06, 2003, 10:14am EDT Report Abuse
Yeap, already said what to do

Radeon 9700Pro =
Switch off Fast Write
AGP 4X
perhaps agpvolt 1.6

But to response to some.. I could add.. Disable AGP8X support in BIOS! as the control panel inside Catalyst actualy doesn't link in anyway to the BIOS Settings! At least on my Asus A7N8X Deluxe. That's just on of the thing that just made me loosing additional weeks trying to figure how I can put so much money in upgrading continualy my pc to be so annoyed.. (enraged in fact:)

So

Radeon 9700Pro =
Switch off Fast Write (Disable in BIOS)
AGP 4X (disable AGP8x support in BIOS)
perhaps agpvolt 1.6

If that doesn's resolve your issues, and you have an Asus Nforce2 board, check your DDR ram, I mean, there are problems on ASUS's side to.
exemple

Kingston

Stick in slot 1&2 (dual canal) = Reboot
Stick in slot 1&3 (dual canal) = somewhat ok

changed for some cheaper ram

any slot = OK :)

And to the one saying to not look in these settings, please shut up. :). you are alone in face of Thausands people facing these problems, and resolving them somewhat with AGP, FastWrite, and other settings^being modified.

And not at all !, before we used to be able to use our components in the specification we bought them for!

Sorry but if you really think all our problem come from some wire, CD Rom noise (doh lol:), and that you're used to be happy with components underclocked, be happy but please don't give any advices:)

Greetings

ebe

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.