Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1515 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 06:32am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon 9700 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>
Thomas F May 06, 2003, 05:20pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700
Oh boy!

So, I'm running the ASUS A7N8X, Crucial 2700 DDR (1.5 GIGs), and a Radeon 9700.

My problems, my good friends, have been SOLVED!

This is how: After days and days of frustration unknown to any other humanoid - I finally sent my memory back to Crucial for an exchange. I did this because apparently the batch of memory that I had from Crucial originally had a conflict with the nforce board. Well grace be to the lord (I'm an atheist) the gentleman over at ASUS (his name was Dillard) told me that I should exchange my ram for the same stuff (just the new batch). And, so I did what the messiah (Dillard) said, and oh day of glorious redemption - when the new memory came in, voila! No more problems, and I'm running default BIOS settings to boot! (Both literally and figuratively.)

So, take what you will from my short, but sweet parable.

~Thom

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
1 May 06, 2003, 10:42pm EDT Report Abuse
never had a problem with my a7n8x deluxe and I have tested quite a few so called bad radeons on it.....in the end finding out that every one of them was good......funny on the ram dude....what kind of name is dillard anyway? :-)

Lt Gringo May 07, 2003, 06:09am EDT Report Abuse

Quikah X May 07, 2003, 11:10am EDT Report Abuse
My freezing problem has gone away.

Radeon 9700 Pro
P4 2.40 Ghz
mobo: Asus P4S8X-X (SiS chips)
one Kingston DDR2700 512mb
SB Audigy2
cheap 300W PSU (came with $25 case)
2 hard drives & CDRom

The system would seem fine until starting up a Directx game, then would freeze dead sometime in the first minute. After fussing with AGP drivers, mobo drivers, taking sound card out, unplugging extra drives, plugging the Radeon power into a different plug(non-hard drive power), reloading windows 3 times, changing slots, BIOS AGP to 4X, Fastwrites off etc etc etc, nothing changed.

After reading this thread, it seemed like one of the trends was Power. Some guys fixed their problem by buying a big honkin PSU - a good stable current. So maybe it is some kind of AGP power spiking or 'brown-outs'.

Anyway, The Award BIOS on this mobo has AGP Vcore settings of

auto
1.5v
1.6v
1.7v

I changed it from auto to 1.7v ... everythings works perfectly, even with this crappy power supply. Then I changed it back from 4x to 8x, fastwrites back on, everything still runs great.

I hope this works for more systems than just this one, good luck to you.

Quikah X May 07, 2003, 11:21am EDT Report Abuse
Uh, I hope I don't melt something... I'll try 1.6v next.

Jacob May 09, 2003, 04:38pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi..I'm new around here, and I'm from Denmark *bowbows*

I'm not even close to being on the expertize level of the people in here, so I'm not very good at posting my exact system specs, but here goes what I know

Pentium 4 2.2 Ghz Northwood (not sure what model that is?)
Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro
512 MB DDR Ram
Nexus-3000 300W powersupply
Win XP Pro
Soundblaster Live! 5.1

Now see..I've actually taken the time, to bust my poor little non-native english speaking head through all the techs and suggestions of this thread (poor head..ouw!..asperin! argh!) ..and I tried the following:

Clocking my radeon card all the way down as far as it goes
Clocking my radeon card down to 310mhz
Setting the aperture all the way from 256mb, to 128mb, to 64mb
Turning fastwrite off
Setting the Vcore from 1.5 to 1.6, to 1.7
Checked the heat of my card..its not really hot, just kinda comfortably warm.
Do a reformat.
Removing all my other cards to see if any of them were conflicting with my Radeon card, which wasnt the case.
Unplucked the power and connection to my floppy drive
Checked the IRQ, to see if one of my other cards were using the same, which wasnt the case.
Install the newest Catalyst drivers (3.2)
Install the newest control panel for the card
Install direct-x 9
Even systematically install the drivers in the order I read in here.
I have a PhoenixAward BIOS, but cant figure out how to update it, as I dont know what to look for.
Made sure that my wires were bundled together with strips (I think thats what their called?) to make better airflow
Sealed my casing so the air can move around better and what not.

Still the same problem persist..when I attempt to do a Direct 3D test in DirectX diagnostic tools, it either shows the DirectX cube, but doesnt spin and just freezes there..or it spins extremely fast for 2 seconds and freezes again..or shows this blank window like right before it loads the cube and freezes there, and one time, my system rebooted and made that watchdog logfile error..you know..the infinite loop, device stuck in thread thingie.
Tried to run the 3D Mark 03 benchmark..when it gets to the first game, wings of fury, theres this black screen the fades to the right..sometimes it makes it past this, but sometimes it freezes halfway through fading over..if it makes it past this, it freezes after the loading bar reaches the first "P" ...
I havent honestly tried any games yet, as I automatically assume that if these simple tests dont work..games are unlikely to work either.
When I boot up and I reach my desktop..the screen has these strange flickers jumping over it, but they stop after the desktop is finished loading..

Now I know my Sapphire Radeon 9700 pro works..because I tried it on a friend's system, which is a 1ghz machine with a 300W powersupply..and he gets over 10.000 in the 3D Mark 2001 SE benchmark test and games run beautifully...I also know that my system works fine, because I tried hooking both my old Geforce 4 440MX up again to test, which works perfectly and also tried his Geforce 4 TI4800, which works even better...which leaves me rather puzzled and confused..because I'm obviously missing something here..and I have no damn idea what it is.

So in other words...HELP!!

Johnny Dao May 09, 2003, 04:57pm EDT Report Abuse
Your right Har Van der Veen. I also have the 8INXP and when the Bios was set to Auto for the AGP, my computer would always crash. It would crash at random times. Sometimes 1 hour, sometimes 4 hours. It would also affect my WinAmp, Windows Media Player, Sonique, or any player that I used. Every since I changed it from Auto to 4x, I've never had a problem. My computer is running smoother than ever.

1 May 09, 2003, 09:05pm EDT Report Abuse
Actually there is one thing you didnt try!

A new psu, do you have a buddy that will aloow you to try his? Assuming his is any better. You have to remember that pentium approved power supplies are much less power and stability then amd certified ones. One other possibility is that your case isnt circulating the air enough. Clean filters? Intel is a cooler running chip so they tend to put less fans in the case.
As for the nvidia fans......you'll find just as many people having the same problems with the fx series....so dont knock ATI because their high end product conflicts with your dell....hehe. Just kidding about the Dell thing there....may have to beg them for a job someday...haha.

Jacob May 10, 2003, 04:41am EDT Report Abuse
Erh...was that a reply to me Matt?..Im not sure if it was as I know one thing I did check for, was heat..and like I said..my radeon card is NOT hot..just comfortably warm....and I have no idea what PSU is *looks sheepish* like I said..im not as good at this stuff as you people are.

oscar siby May 10, 2003, 04:44am EDT Report Abuse
Hi again.
unfortunatly i can say that ive still got the same problem, the computer freezes after about 5 min gameplay and when watching movies.
in the begnining i thought it was the heat and to whimpy PSU so i bought a passive zalman for the gfx card and a Antec 430W this didt help at all.
Atm im very puzzled since before i bought the stuff i tried out with a tablefan pointed at the gfx card and with a friends 360W and then it seemed to take between 1h - 3h to freez..

Jacob May 10, 2003, 04:45am EDT Report Abuse
Oh wait..psu..thats PowerSUpply right?..yeah well..I bought this new powersupply..you know..the nexus-3000 300W silent..was pretty expensive too..and my friend has this old standard 300W one..and it worked just fine on that one.

Outa Myhead May 10, 2003, 05:08am EDT Report Abuse
There are conflicting bits of advice from ATI and other sites with regard to the power supply, the ATI manual (which is brief to say the least) says it will run on a 300Watt PSU, the ATI website recommends 350 as a minimum, some people still seem to have trouble with 350.

I did a few things to my system with identical problems to Oscar' system, first I got a 400 Watt PSU with a secondry exhaust fan built onto it, then I changed the second stick of RAM to slot 3 and I changed the heatsink to a Zalman ZM-HP80a with a case fan blowing over the heatsink from the side, the system hasn't had a problem since.

See bio for system setup.
1 May 10, 2003, 05:20am EDT Report Abuse
well, I have here a turbolink 420, turbolink 350, vantec stealth 520, and 3 enermax 465vp's. Though the turbolink 420 is rated at 420 watts and the 350 is rated at 350 watts they DO NOT WORK! Why? Because they are not stable under the load of numerous high consumption parts like an nforce 2 board or xp2800 cpu. They know it too and that is why it is not amd certified. If your psu is not amd certified under the recent recertification specs then you can bet if it wont run an amd chip then it definately wont run this video card.
You said that the card works in your buddies system with the same psu.....how long did you test it? Most often games will play for a short period of time and then you will get the occasional freeze, hang, or something along those lines. Did you try your card in his machine??? Might be the next plausable test.

Jacob May 10, 2003, 06:13am EDT Report Abuse
I dont know what kind of psu he has..just that it's a standard old 300W one..and I sat and played American Army for over 3 hours no problem..and also I played "Black Hawk Down" which is a very demanding game from what I can see..plus I ran several benchmark tests, no problem at all..so, I'd say thats pretty stable, but of course I could be wrong.

I honestly dont know if my psu is AMD certified..all I know, is that its called "Nexus Real Silent Powersupply" and that its on 300W.
*just whimpers*

oscar siby May 10, 2003, 06:32am EDT Report Abuse
Changed the ram stick to slot 3 u say? i only got 1 pieace of 512 mb ddr ram ,hmm i might try it im desperate hehe

oscar siby May 10, 2003, 06:35am EDT Report Abuse
and no i havent tested my card in his machine yet. when i get home from work im going to try a buddies Ram in my comp , try my gfx card in his comp and also try his PSU with my comp again to see if it works good.

1 May 10, 2003, 11:35am EDT Report Abuse
If you check your card in his machine then you may just have all the answers you need.

oscar siby May 12, 2003, 11:12am EDT Report Abuse
i tried it in his machine for 2 hours and it didt "freeze" or anything.
finaly also got a replay from sapphiretech, they said the problem is with the motherboard and i quess it is since it worked in my friends, he has a MSI Mb to but a newer one sis55 chipset i belive. sight... i also flashed my bios to the newest release but didt help either..

1 May 12, 2003, 04:58pm EDT Report Abuse
Well, I guess its at least good that you know its not the card. Cheaper to buy a new mobo. ;-)

oscar siby May 13, 2003, 08:37am EDT Report Abuse
yeah but still i didt see any "not compatible with ati Radeon 9700" when i checked at the homepage. screw MSi... if they dont say anything about it not going to work it should work .. hope i can send the mb back or something...

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.