Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1882 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 08 - 12:41am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon 9700 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>
1 Sep 15, 2003, 02:22am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700
actually, numerous things can cause this....spyware is the most common. Often times a skip or sudden hang is caused by another application using up system resources. Alot of these websites that we log onto to purchase stuff will load in survey spyware that will dial out info at any given time....that could just as easily be your problem. If you need some good software then check out http://www.bulletproofsoft.com
That is one of the programs that I use to keep my system resources inline!
Other things that can cause a hang like that are a lack of ram or even a lack of voltage for the ram timings. If your timing is too aggressive on your ram then it will be just as if you overclocked it without raising the voltage...might seem fine for a while then a sudden hang or bsod occurs. I wouldnt be too quick to jump on the card unless you had your application running perfectly without the card before....if that is the case then I would start by reloading your mobo agp controller driver and then reinstall the gpu driver (dont forget to uninstall the gpu driver first). Hope this helps ya some.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Sep 15, 2003, 02:56am EDT Report Abuse
Well Guess What i Sent in an RMA to ATI, so that means im going to get confirmation message to Send my card in for Repair or Replacement, luckily i havent done any overclocking to it, or anything else that can damage card, i dont see any damage but i think it deals with programming of the VPU or something else on the board

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
josh Keith Sep 29, 2003, 11:23pm EDT Report Abuse
Well...

Going back to an old problem with the SOYO k7ada 1.0.

I am having problems getting my Radeon 9700 Pro to keep stable under 3d enviornments. I have updated everything I possible can to get the darn thing to work correctly... and so far no luck. Although I popped in my old Geforce 2 GTS 64mb, and the board runs like a dream.

This whole deal is startin' to p**s me off! If you have "any" ideas at all... PLEASE respond! =D

Thanks.

Chris Crespo Sep 30, 2003, 04:40pm EDT Report Abuse
This seems like a real problem card. I bought a built by ati radeon 9700 pro in may and it still isn't working right. after an RMA I was able to get into Windows, but my PC reboots within seconds of running any 3D applications. I'm receiving an infinite loop error.

To try to resolve this problem, I flashed my BIOS with all the files on Biostar's site for my M7VIT. When I rebooted the PC, my monitor reported it was receiving no signal. I put a GeForce3 in to replace the Radeon and now after it identifies the display adapter, it takes me to a screen that reads: "BIOS ROM CHECKSUM ERROR." No BIOS splash screen, no POST, no anything. When I try to reflash the BIOS with awdflash.exe, the program either does nothing (no progress on the progress bar) or tells me I need to update my BIOS ROM first.

This is like a 7-layer problem :(

Specs:
Biostar M7VIT (KT400)
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro/ Geforce 3 (while the Radeon isn't working)
512MB PC2700 DDR333 OCSYSTEM RAM
SoundBlaster Audigy
PowMax 400W PSU ($11, doubt it really works at 400W)
Windows XP Pro

Outa Myhead Sep 30, 2003, 06:50pm EDT Report Abuse
Have you got a dual BIOS board?

Did you try restoring the old BIOS?

and from the sound of the error you may have another problem besides the graphics cards, one of the biggest problems I have seen with the ATI 9700 Pro was either a genuine hardware fault on the card itself (yes even the 1.3 revision still had problems) the other problem (which I had as well) was to do with the lousy last minute rush design of the shim around the chip and the heatsink.

You can find out what I discovered about the thermal problem about halfway through this thread (about page 16 I think).

See bio for system setup.
1 Sep 30, 2003, 11:39pm EDT Report Abuse
the problem is that in orde3r to d3etermin the apg promlem you must have already had your system 100% in order. After that its a matter of making sure that you updated xp ( especially for all the cheapasses out there with xp cracks). You must understand that many items in your system may suffer due to the integrationg of a high end or hig consuption part such as the 9700pro.l One of the largest thing to keep in mind is the need to reinstall agp controller drivers for your mobo after the agp card is installed. I have seen numerous mobo drivers corrupted after the installation of catalist drivers. Granted the only game that I play is ut2k3 instagib however I have numerous customers that play various games utilizing the 9700pro. In most instances the problems occur during a poor install procedure of incompatibility with other hardware. either way dont blasme ati! Remeber that I along with many others have many working 9700pro's.....always assume that the fault is yours....if you are one of those which assumes that you know all and that it must be the cards fault then by all means please rma it so tha tyou may recieve a new one and have the same problems.
It works like this... dont expect a new device to always work with a old device (mobo). Dont expect to know everything about the power requirements of todays gear unless you have calculated and checked with the various parts manufacturers that pertain to your system.
If you think that an old nvidia will solve all your problems then your not looking into the future and you should simply stick with the old and forget about the new.
The bottom line is that high end gear requires high end components and then it also requires a little more finess to install. Never blame any component for insatallation troubles. If everyone did then scsi never would be where its at!

FUBAR - Oct 01, 2003, 02:16pm EDT Report Abuse
Dont blame Ati????!?! ur kidding right?
I will indeed blame ati from everything ive heard there are problems galor with this card from bad design to driver problems ..
I brought my ati 9700pro and even brought a spankin brand new mobo Asus A7N8X Deluxe for support of agp 8x then brought some ddr400 it was running great for a while until i noticed while installing a new card that the ati was so damn hot u could burn ur friggin hand on it !! ( bad cooling design ) i could blam my motherboard or my case designer but hey they didnt make the gfx card!!! So ill have to be blaming ATI !
Also the fact that u can even install the gfx card drivers incorrectly is a joke ffs why dont they just have one package u download and install and ur done ! ( like nvidia! )
Oh and the customer support for Ati is a joke ( AUTO MESSAGE AFTER AUTO MESSAGE )
Install the latest cat install ur mobo's latest agp driver etc etc ffs i wrote a lengthy email in CAPS! telling them i had installed all the latest drivers and bio's !!
Its come down to ppl asking other ppl in forum's such as this because ATI Couldnt give as**t ! they got there money from the poor suckers like me who brought one so who gives a S*it if its not working correctly...

Rma thats a joke u send it in they unrap it glance at it for no more than a few seconds then wrap it back up and send it back .. ( NICE!)

My ati is nopw so shagged i can bearly use it as the refresh rate for some reason seems to be lower than 50hz even tho i have it set to 85hz :S ( very expensive strobe light )
now this only happend after i reinstalled windows so i thought it might be a crappy installation by myself some how ..
Luckily i had backed up my harddrive from when i first brought and installed the card which was when it was running perfectly ( using norton ghost) anyway after restoring windows i still have the same problem ( STROBE LIGHTING!) now i know its not the software and i know my monitor as ive tryed 2 others SO HELL YEAH ILL BLAME ATI!!! as soon as i have enough money for a new geforce fx im gona take this piece ofs**t out into the garden and smash it into little tiny pieces id sell it and try and make some money back but seriously i wouldnt give one of these cards to my worst enemy ..

Sorry to go on but damn DONT BLAME ATI???!?!?!?
FUBAR

Chris Crespo Oct 01, 2003, 04:11pm EDT Report Abuse
No dual BIOS, I've been trying to reflash the BIOS, but the system stays idle when I give it the flash command in awdflasher.exe. Every now and then it tells me I have to update the ROM before I update the BIOS itself ... no clue what that means.

I couldn't agree more with Fubar. This is obviously ATI's fault; I think this is the longest thread on this forum, and check out the title: "ATI Radeon 9700." 760 people posting about the problems can't be wrong.

As for ATI's tech support, how did you reach it? The number on their site doesn't exist (and I only get 30 free days for calling them! Oh my!...). I'd rather listen to automated tech support than hear that freakin' ringing in my ear when the automated operator tells me ATI's number has been disconnected.

1 Oct 01, 2003, 09:46pm EDT Report Abuse
sorry but I feel the need to defend now...lol

As with any piece of high end gear their will be many people with incompatibilities and problems. You must remeber that the very title of this thread attracts those with problems.
There is however another side of the fence with many people swearing by this card and having absolutely no problems at all. I myself have mention earlier that I have a few of them myself as well as have integrated them into friends systems. I have been able to duplicate many symptoms that people describe here but only by doing improper installs, using unstable power supplies, or simply not having enough case cooling. You might try looking for a thread relating to your motherboard or perhaps starting one to see if anyone else has these issues while using a 9700pro. The k7ada is an old card and your geforce 3 is probably a better match for it. That board came about when the ga7vrxp's were undergoing pcb changes to run the ti4600's. I went through that one blaming nvidia untill I found an article on the ga7vrxp having problems with newer cards. Needless to say I threw the board away and switched to newer one and never had a single problem again!

FUBAR - Oct 03, 2003, 10:24pm EDT Report Abuse
Well im lucky enough to own 4 complete systems ( i say lucky as in im able to test each component in another machine )
I also have a 650watt power supply in all of my machines and the machine i primary use with the ati card has 6 fans not including the cpu fan etc, yes it sounds like a hoover and yes i have thought of water cooling ( or maybe vapo chill ) but my point that im getting to is one it has more than enough power and the cooling is more than adiquit ...
Ive tryed 4 different motherboards 4 different memory sims unistalled and reinstalled so many times its drove me mad,
The worst thing about Ati is the fact u contact them when u can actually get through. Then they tell u the same things over and over update drivers/bios etc etc THAT DOSNT HELP!!! then they give u a 101 reasons why it cant be there product ... hey come to think of it, Do u work for ATI?? lol
I dont really care if u think its not Ati's fault or not i know it is, and i know i shall never be buying anything that has anything to do with Ati ever again as for the ati Card i have now i shall be keeping for when my friends come round xmas time we can all have a disco infront of my very expensive strobe light :)

Oh and another thing so u think its perfectly acceptable for a product that costs alot of money in my eyes is allowed to have so many problems in so many different sittuations simply because its new " GEAR " ??
*Cough* Isnt the reason we pay such high prices for these cards, because we are paying for the development and research not only into the components but into compatibility and stability ???

Greetz
Fubar

1 Oct 04, 2003, 11:26pm EDT Report Abuse
lol....nah i dont work for ati. But I did have to rma 1 of my 9700pros when I accidentally lifted an ic upon removal of the aluminum plate. Yeah, was doing the volt mods. They responded quickly for a company of their caliber- i thought. I did take a month to get another card but to tell ya the truth I didnt expect them to fix it and I had already written that card of my mind.
I too have been able to test various cards for people and have indeed found a few bad ones.....they were not built by ati cards though. I have seen numerous people complain about them not working with newer boards like the a7n8x deluxe......but I have 2 systems with those boards and they each have a different revision 9700pro (built by ) with no probs ever.
I think that if some of you can test your card in a friends system and if you find that even then it doesnt work then rma it. You have a year to do it! The one that I rma'd was fubar due to my stupidity and they replaced it free of charge. Yes it takes time and yeah you should probably have another card to hold you over untill they replace it but ultimately they will take care of it.
it definately sucks to see so many people having problems but you have to remember that only a percentage of those people have bad cards. Everyone has different levels of building experience and it is likely that a percxentage of those people are simply over looking something really obvious. Some have gone through the rma process to find that the new one doesnt work either......in those cases I would venture to say that the card is not likely the problem :-)

FUBAR - Oct 06, 2003, 07:54am EDT Report Abuse
Ill have to agree with u there there are alot of ppl blaming the card when in fact its a problem with some other hardware within their pc's or even software error's or incompatabilty's or simply installing incorrect agp drivers etc
Ive fixed most of my problems now with my ati card the only problem i have now is during games they lock up for a milly second or less hardly affects game play but it shouldnt happen, I dont think it has anything to do with the gfx card as my harddrive light flickers at more or less the same time so its obviously a memory problem or some spyware running on my comp ..
I have however got brand new 512meg sim of Crucial pc3200 so i cant see it being the memory ive also try different memory and its still happening :S

As for spyware ive ran programs but nothing has been found so i guess im stuck with this problem for the meantime :(
Maybe its a bio's problem but not sure ive messed about with a few settings but nothing seems to help ..

Any idea's?

Greetz
Fubar

Hey while im here
When i play windows media player with visualizations on battery, the visualization stutters alot but the funny thing is if i right click so u get the lil window with the options to pop up, it speeds back up again :S oh and full screen is smooth also dosnt bother me as i dont use windows media player alot just wondering if anyone else gets this?

1 Oct 06, 2003, 02:18pm EDT Report Abuse
>> half a sec lockups?
just 2 questions.....

1.) is this net play or all gameplay that exhibits this behavior?

2.) are you running at high res and high detail or have you tried all game settings as well as performance slider settings within the ati control panel for d3d and opengl if it applies?

....one comment; I did have a problem with one install on a asus a7n8x and I believe that it was related to corrupt agp controller drivers on the mobo after installing newer catalyst drivers. Seems common as I have heard from others that upon installing the newer drivers they too have experienced serious depretiation in bench scores due to nforce2 driver corruption. I reinstalled mobo drivers entirely and have never seen the problem again....granted I havent updated the drivers in that system in some time...hehe. The effect that I was getting from this corruption was an almost internet like lag even though I wasnt on the net :-)

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Oct 07, 2003, 03:41pm EDT Report Abuse
HEY MATT! I just got my card back from ATI(Not same one but revised version) The Board is new, when they tested my old card they said it was defective and replaced it, noticed difference in 2 heat sinks, i just tested the card with AGP 8X, Fast Writes, USWC cache Mode, and it runs like a champ, default motherboard settings, Its the AIW 9700 Pro,I think the deal is, when retail boards go out they are not tested as well( i think this board i got was tested extensively, Say its an OEM). For All those people that have tried everything to get card running, do an RMA requesting for repair, send the board in and wait couple of weeks for a return u should have a new card with statement saying old card was defective.

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Oct 07, 2003, 03:44pm EDT Report Abuse
Oh Matt what tweaker do u use for this video card with the Standard Catalyst 3.7 Drivers?

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
1 Oct 07, 2003, 05:19pm EDT Report Abuse
>> tweaker....
awsome glad to hear your able to enjoy the card finally!

I use the rage 3d tweak for my cards....it works great for me though I have heard many people claim to have problems with it. Then again the only thing I use it for is the overclocking tweak. I dont use the profiles at all but rather the sliders in the ati control panel. I too noticed some changes between several different revision 9700's....I have to say though that they really seemed to have learned alot form the original release since you can see them covering their tracks with the 9800pro...hmmm;-)

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Oct 08, 2003, 09:21pm EDT Report Abuse
Damnit

In a Game i was Playing the Game Froze, after i restarted it stated my Driver was at fault Which is the Catalyst 3.7, then i Tried another game and it did the same thing, I Think its the Drivers Now But what would u recommend, because everything else is at Defaults, that was what i was testing under, The Games i tested are
Motocross Madness 2, Unreal Tournament GOTYE with 436, Unreal Tournament 2003, When i tested under UT GOTYE it froze after restart it gave me a microsoft send report and gave that a device driver was cause, then i tried UT 2k3 and it did same thing, but after restart it stated that the Driver for ATI Card was cause.

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Oct 08, 2003, 09:27pm EDT Report Abuse
i dont think that the Catalyst 3.8 or Omega 3.8 or Driver/BIOS updates for Motherboard will work unless if u have a suggestion im gonna call ATi about this Bull and see about a Fix, If it isnt the Driver or the Vid card then it may be the Motherboards Stability With AGP 8X, Oh Have u tried the Radeon 9800 Pro XT Yet? Id Like to know what u think of it if its a major difference between the last 2. And another thing Are u gonna test a Athalon 64 system, id like to know what u think. I understand that the processor speeds will be lower than what is here but since its under 64bit mode isnt it faster, Say 1.2 Ghz 64BIT vs 2.4 Ghz 32BIT, that 64 BIT will be running the same speed as the 32BIT with less GHZ.

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Oct 08, 2003, 09:28pm EDT Report Abuse
Would Service Pack 1 Have any Affect On the Vid Card Working Properly??? Because i Havent Tried that yet.

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
1 Oct 08, 2003, 09:59pm EDT Report Abuse
oooooooo yeah it does!!!!!!! service pack 1 is definately needed for any card to play current games. Remember we are all miocrosofts guinee pigs and those$#%#%^#$^& released one crappy os prior to sp1. Dont forget to reinstall your mobo agp controller drivers though.
I can play ut2k3 fully updated both os and game at 1920x1200 and at full detail for days with no crashes so yeah there is definately something else going on there. Have you tried troubleshooting your ram??? I had mega probs before when I fell victom to the infamous ocsystem ddr scam. I dont know if you have some other modules laying around but its a good start if updating doesnt work. I had errors for days indicating my nvidia card and after replacing it windows still gave the same eroors. Turns out windows isnt all that great at figuring out whats wrong cause replacing the ram cured it all back then.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.