Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1229 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 02 - 11:06am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / To AMD or not to AMD, that’s the question

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
Alex-E-C-396 Nov 01, 2004, 01:26pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
If AMD would just start selling dual and quad Opteron systems through a reliable dealer, such as HP, Compaq, or better yet Sony that would blow all the Intel systems away and force Intel to lower the price of a Xeon. I have an AMD AthalonXP 2700 and a 900 which are both extremely fast. I wanted to buy a new computer in February of 2002 and I went to Fry's Electronics to get the fastest most powerful thing I could get. I have known that an AMD processor always has added much quicklier than an Intel proccesor. I needed a processor for intense Math calculation I bought the fastest processor I could at the time which was an AMD AthalonXP 2700. With in the next six months I had to exchange the processor and the motherboard twice. If AMD would make there processors a little more reliable in the tempeture zone they would have a gauranteed winner. What do any of you think of this?

Alexander E. Calvo
alex-e-c@sbcglobal.net
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Sander Sassen Nov 01, 2004, 02:05pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
What is a Athalon? Where can I buy one?

Sander Sassen
Editor in Chief - Hardware Analysis
ssassen@hardwareanalysis.com
Lawrence Fuller Nov 01, 2004, 02:36pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
I think he meant Athlon xp, spelling error.Lol

----------------------------------------------------------------

ASROCK K7VM2
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
pc2700 512Mb RAM
Onboard Graphics(Lagging Obviously)
CD-R/RW
DVD-ROM
Hitachi Deskstar 180Gb HDD
Graphics replacing soon when i have money
Sander Sassen Nov 01, 2004, 02:44pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
Twice?

Sander Sassen
Editor in Chief - Hardware Analysis
ssassen@hardwareanalysis.com
Alex-E-C-396 Nov 01, 2004, 03:31pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
I meant to say Athlon not Athalon. Please don't get permanently disabled like me. Brain damage really sucks!!! Wouldn't any of you people upgrade to a new system that is 64bit based and capable of handling multithreaded software and get ahold of a new piece of software that was be developed to take advantage of a multithreading capable motherboard?

Alexander E. Calvo
alex-e-c@sbcglobal.net
Alex-E-C-396 Nov 01, 2004, 03:42pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
What about using the AMD chips, that take advantage of a 64bit extension of the x86 architecture until there is a defined 64bit standard like the IA64 from Intel then we could get a really fast machine. Instead of wondering when we can afford the SGI machines that do all that trick ass rendering for Industrial Lights and Magic. Which machine/company do you guys/gals think off when you want a super trickoff computer? There are the Intel based PC's, the AMD based PC's and the Motorola/IBM based Apple's. Apple wins hands down in the sraphic arena. How does it make you think about a dual G-5 machine that runs at 2.5ghz with dual 1,000mhz front side bus?

Alexander E. Calvo
alex-e-c@sbcglobal.net
Lawrence Fuller Nov 02, 2004, 01:50pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
Well personally my computer is based on a AMD Athlon xp, at the time of building it amd seemed like the cheapest option. It has done well i have no complaints about it and to be honest when i build my second computer i will be definitely be coinsidering an AMD64. Although AMD do not have a high a clockspeed as Intels they perform pretty much the same if not better than Intel processors.

----------------------------------------------------------------

ASROCK K7VM2
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
pc2700 512Mb RAM
Onboard Graphics(Lagging Obviously)
CD-R/RW
DVD-ROM
Hitachi Deskstar 180Gb HDD
Graphics replacing soon when i have money
James Marlin Nov 02, 2004, 08:42pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
AMD and Dell, it might happen down the road, but don't hold your breath.
Dell did build AMD based systems at one time, but dropped them in favour of their all Intel line up (some time in the K6-2/early Athlon era, if I remember correctly).
At the time Dell stated it was due to Intel's ability to ship the quantity of parts on the time table Dell needed, and AMD's inability to do the same. Though I'm sure some sort of exclusive use/high volume discount contract, being made between the two, wouldn't be that far fetched either. I suspect it was mostly likely all of the above.
I all most bought a Dell way back then, but decide to try a couple of firsts. My first "user" built system, and a K6-2 based one as well. Some 8 years later and I haven't looked back nor regretted it. ;)

But I don't think you'll see an AMD based Dell computer any time soon for a lot of reasons. Many all ready stated in this thread, but mostly due to the market Dell seems to place it's major focus on, from what I can see.
IMHO Dell has become all most like the Apple of the PC market place. Most indications are that Dell's major focus isn't enthusiast or entry level systems, though they do dabble in both areas. But more the main stream user who's less concerned with price/performance, but more quality/reliability. And what equates that in the mind of an "average" consumer? A established "name" brand which I'm afraid Intel has for your every day consumer and AMD doesn't.
This isn't to say that either Intel or Dell build a better part then any one else. More in the same vain as how many consumers will buy "Tide", "Kellogg's" or "Centrino" over a lesser know brand, even if the brand might be not only superior, but a better value as well.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The man who came up with the "Intel Inside" was a marketing genius. It took an important though obscure part in the computer system, and made both it and Intel synonymous with the term computer.
It would be the same as a company like Fisher Bodyworks, who use to build the bodies on a number of Ford built cars, building such an awareness in the consumer market that a car having a Fisher body was as important as the brand of the car.

Though I'm a major AMD "fanboy", plus I'm ecstatic by what they've done to date, considering they play David to Intel's Goliath. They have a way to go before they become the recognized "name" brand they need to be if they want to have the same clout as Intel.
Give it time, as awareness of just how good AMD parts are increases, even hold outs like Dell with have to reconsider using them. My only hope is that AMD doesn't forget all us "fanboys" when the day comes.

Athlon XP M 2500+ (12x200FSB=2.4 ghz, PR 3500+), Soltek SL-75RN2-L, 1gig 3200DDR Ram, ATI X800GTO, NEC MultiSync FE991sb, Creative Audigy OEM, Logitech 5.1 speakers, 40gig HD booting XP, 200gig@50%games, Lite-On DVD burner, LG 52x32x52x
Corvus Raven Nov 03, 2004, 01:33am EST Report Abuse
>> 
Alex-E-C-396

"If AMD would just start selling dual and quad Opteron systems through a reliable dealer.."

Ever hear of Cray? They even have 32 procs going side by side.

--------------------------
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe PCB 2.00 w/ BIOS 1005 (cause? Dunno.. ATM)
AMD XP 2800+ @ 0.0 GHz 0MHz FSB (overheating for no appearent reason)
(2) - Corsair XMS512-3500C2 (5-2-2-2T) @ 0MHz
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro @0
Enermax 500W p/s (ok.
DeathSniper Nov 04, 2004, 07:31am EST Report Abuse
>> 
A CRAY can hardly count as a PC...

-------------------------------------------------------------
My dinosaur -
Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1.53Ghz stock
MSI KT3 Ultra2
1152 DDR266 SDRAM (2.5, 3, 3, 6)
VisionTek Xtasy GeForce 4 Ti4400 128mb DDR
Corvus Raven Nov 04, 2004, 11:32am EST Report Abuse
>> 
Why not? It is a computer.. and if you by one for your self it becomes your Personal Computer - a PC, if you will. :)

Sounds good to me. ;)

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro @0
Enermax 500W p/s (ok.
OCGW Nov 04, 2004, 11:52am EST Report Abuse
>> 
Corvus Raven

How did you physically remove the onboard video?

Do you mean that you did like I did w/ my old Dell and remove the onboard graphic memory in the agp slot?

My Dell Optiplex 800Mhz had a 4mb "memory board" in the agp slot w/ no port assisting the onboard graphics.

I eventually upgraqded to a special ATI Radeon half-height 32mb agp graphics card ordered from Dell

OCGW

PEACE

Corvus Raven Nov 04, 2004, 12:26pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
Nope. This board doesn't have AGP. It uses an 82810 Graphics Controler. I had searched and found a schematic and disabled the chip by cutting off a couple pins. In that sence it is still physically there, but the computer doesn't see it anymore or use it. It still reports that 1 Mb is used sometimes. Which I find to be strange. If I remember correctly I started with search for "Dell Dimension L700cxe", "82810", "i82810" and for "intel 810e". That's the computer, the contorller chip and the motherboard. It has been over 2 years since I changed it.

It is a permanent fix. There is no undo. :)

If I had an AGP slot I wouldn't have opted for ATi's Radeon 7000. Not like the machine would handle anything that required better graphics. :)

__Here's a quick reference from intel. (the site I used was NOT intel but one that was stumbled upon. IT doesn't seem to exist any more.. but I may still have it in one of my bookmark files. ..but from 2 years back? maybe not. Oh well._

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel810/
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/290656.htm
http://developer.intel.ru/design/chipsets/specupdt/290659.htm
http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/manuals/298026.htm
http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel810/sb/CS-009140.htm

I just recently found this site. Not the one I had but looks promising.

http://www.e4allinc.info

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro @0
Enermax 500W p/s (ok.
Porkchop Nov 04, 2004, 10:24pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
I think it is the random Lockups That Amd is known for and The way Microsoft Does Amd it is really not fair to amd I will say thanks to Amd it has really drove the price down on Chips But Not for all the headaches me and about 20 of my friends have went through especially WITH THE VIA MONSTER . If Amd Could build there own motherboards For there processors i think it would be a Big Plus . I guess they are not smart enough Maybe Or maybe that would be very easy to return there products Cause when you have a problem with there processors Its always the motherboard they say when you call them . Stability is a big Issuse with 80 percent of the people . Not speed for a few hours then a lock up or a freeze in the middle of a lan party (again the via monster ). Maybe that is one small reason behind the Dell solution. I think price and quantiy is the biggest issues though .

Michael A. Nov 04, 2004, 10:27pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
Don't you mean *an* Athalon instead of a Athalon? ;) Heh...

Michael A.
Corvus Raven Nov 05, 2004, 02:18am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Re: To AMD or not to AMD, that�s the question
Oh-oh.. moderators with dictionary and a grammAr checker! :)

This could be interesting.

Like, fer sure.. :)

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro @0
Enermax 500W p/s (ok.
OCGW Nov 05, 2004, 02:55pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
Richard Durden

You and your friends have had lockups w/ your AMD comps, and you blame the Processor??

Okay

I don't have lockups w/ either of my AMD machines, but my old Dell Celeron comp locked up left. & right

Hmmmmmm

OCGW

PEACE

James Marlin Nov 05, 2004, 05:50pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
Couple of things Richard

1. Lockups can be caused by numerous things. In fact virtually every part in a computer case has the potential (some more then others though), to cause a lockup. Most often though it's something like heat, inadequate power supply, buggy drivers, bad ram, or yes, a poorly engineered chipset. But the greatest offender is a poorly designed OS, or inadequately skilled user IMHO.

2. AMD did produce their own chipsets, every heard of the 750? The 760? The reason AMD doesn't produce chipsets is basically due to the companies size, not intelligence. Compared to Intel, AMD has a much smaller manufacturing capacity. So they have two choices, make a few chipsets, and a few cpus. Or make cpus, and let some one else make the chipsets. Lastly VIA chipsets are not necessarily "bad", most AMD users know to look for the update to a chipset like 266A instead of 266, it's usually the better chipset.

Just because you and your "friends" had some problems with a AMD based system, doesn't mean that every one else does too ( I never have ), or that Dell users would with a AMD based Dell system. One thing to be said for large OEM's, they can do a pretty good job of qualifying a system design (that's checking for stability, heat, etc, problems) before releasing it to consumers. So I'm sure a AMD based Dell would be as stable as any Intel based Dell system.

Athlon XP M 2500+ (12x200FSB=2.4 ghz, PR 3500+), Soltek SL-75RN2-L, 1gig 3200DDR Ram, ATI X800GTO, NEC MultiSync FE991sb, Creative Audigy OEM, Logitech 5.1 speakers, 40gig HD booting XP, 200gig@50%games, Lite-On DVD burner, LG 52x32x52x
Porkchop Nov 05, 2004, 06:07pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
Well I am not going to get in and argument FACT THOUSANDS OF ISSUES WITH AMD PRODUCTS ON THIS WEB SITE FACT VERY VERY FEW iNTEL PROBLEMS . I can read Mr Marlin , And to say you have never had 1 issue with amd related is a BOLD FACE LIE Unless you have Never played a pc game on your machine . FACTS SPEAK LOUDER THAN ANYTHING READ THE FORUMS IN HERE You will see the facts Thanks And goodbye

OCGW Nov 05, 2004, 06:21pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
To Richard, No offense, but you are a "new guy" here

So, I will give you a break

FYI, the reason for the disproportionate # of people on this site reporting problems w/ their systems (which happen to be AMD based systems) is because we are predominantly Custom computer builders and Over Clockers, of which, the vast majority of, chose AMD

In actuality, the modern processor (AMD or Intel) is one of the most reliable components in the system, and easy to care for, all you have to do is keep it cool

Example: In this thread alone (7) individuals openly identified themselves (proudly) as AMD users

Not (1) person identified themselves as Intel user

The Wizard has spoken, Long live the Wizard

PEEEEACE

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.