Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 683 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s January 18 - 10:51am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Can't Flash P4VXASD2+ BIOS: "Chipset/Flash part isn't available..." 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
Harris Kev Feb 08, 2003, 10:03pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Can't Flash P4VXASD2 BIOS: "Chipset/Flash part isn't available..."
Here's a good one...
I just got the board...and wished I'd read all the problems...
sounds like I am in for fun...
anyways here's my problem:

No power.
I put the contacts on the pins where the manual says to...if that is even correst, and no power.

The switch on my tower has contacts as follows:

hdd led, reset sw, and power + and power -

WHERE DO THEY CONNECT TO???
obviously somewhere on Panel 2!!!

I think i got the hdd and reset right, but do the power switch + and - go to the spd, or the on/off pins, and how the hell do you figure out which one goes where as according to + and -.

Jebus...thihkin I should've researched a little more...sigh

I got the 2.4, as well...

If anyone knows please post back...
Thx

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Slow Poke Feb 11, 2003, 01:18pm EST Report Abuse
2 things.

To addess the 4-pin power connector, I had contacted ECS a while and asked if it was needed since Intel indicates that the extra 4-pin power is needed for all of its Pentium 4s. The response was that it was not needed for their motherboards. However, they deferred me to check with Intel on whether Intel's warranty would be honored for such a motherboard. Kind of an interesting stance for a company that says it's motherboard supports Pentium 4s.

As for the lack of any response of power from the board/case:

Here's a trick to help determine if you might have a faulty power switch on your case.

Set your motherboard in your case and plug the ATX power supply plug onto the board. Add your RAM, video card (with monitor attached), and keyboard.

Look for your panel connectors (should be the set of pins at one of the board's corners near the IDE connecters and the battery). Turn the power onto your case. Take a small flathead screw-driver and quickly short the two-pins that are designated as the power switch in your manual (pretty much use the metal screwdriver head to quickly touch both pins at once). This is essentially what the power switch on your case does.

If your case seems to power up or seems to have more life than normal, then you can at least take the next step of plugging your cases' power switch connector to the same two pins and trying again (with your cases' power button).

If you get no reaction from your case with the screw-driver trick, try a different motherboard or a different case/power supply. At a minimum, you should be able to take your motherboard back the store and either exchange it or have them try it.

If your case powered up with the screwdriver trick, but not with your cases' power button, you may have a bad switch. You can probably replace the switch and still use the case.

Hope that helps.

hans neureiter Feb 12, 2003, 02:42pm EST Report Abuse
Finally, after a month and several temptations to get Bessie 12Ga, I got that mobo running. Every last problem mentioned in this thread happened and than some.
Set the jumpers correct for using 133 Mhz and DDR:
1) JP1A1 2-3 short and JP1B1 1-2 short
2) red jumper between DDR and SDR sockets open
3) all the jumpers at the edge next to the sdr socket short.
4) Don't thrust the manual for consistency.
Fry's tests the board using sdr and 100 Mhz. Nobody uses it this way.
5) Reset the bios manually with the jumper at the battery after all jumpers are correct.
6) When installing the drivers, dont thrust what install does. Use the Utility/ Tools to find what you need. It's all there, just finding it. My whole IDE and PCI bus controller was screwey and just about nothing seemed to work, including the on-board crap.
7) One other thing: The PCI and APG sockets do not fit well., takes a lot of nudging.

ROY G Feb 12, 2003, 03:19pm EST Report Abuse
Look back up from the top down,and see how many are working right! This MOBO handles 400fsb OK but it does not handle 533fsb very well,if you will notice in about all the posts,when the jumpers are changed from 100mhz to 133mhz to accomadate the 533fsb the problems start.ECS needs to make right these misprints and misleading INFO. that this MOBO will take 533fsb ,Look even if 1 or 2 work what about the other 94 that don`t.I bought this MOBO because of flexability from 400fsb to 533fsb or 100mhz to 133mhz but it is just not there!!!! I did research on this board it said it would take 533fsb and change to 133mhz , mine was like the other 94 or more on here it did`nt after 2 weeks and several $`s I had to go to another MOBO for my P4/2.66 upgrade 533fsb . When you buy something you have to go by what they say it will do but very ,very, few of these MOBO`s did what they said they would do.ended up buying after all this trouble an MSI 645E--Sis 645DX Chipset MOBO it has overclocking in the BIOS and also overclocking software with it. ALL is well now !!

Max Jones Feb 25, 2003, 01:35pm EST Report Abuse
If you are using DDR ram all you need to do is change the long strip of jumpers on the far side of the motherboard to short and this will resolve the issue. Your machine should then boot right up using the 133. I did this yesterday and now I get 2.4ghz running smoothly.

John Alexander Feb 26, 2003, 11:13am EST Report Abuse
Changing the ddr jumpers may have worked for one person, but not for me. In fact, my system is fine at 100mhz fsb with the memory jumpers on either side! The outside edge (which it sounds like is the correct side - the manual gives you no clue) works and the inner edge (nearer the sdram slots) works as well. But at 133mhz fsb, the machine locks up right after the post with the jumpers in either place. I am waitnig for Fry's to get some more of these boards in and then I'm going in to test a few until I find one that works, then pray that it stays stable.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what program to run in order to really test out a board? I was planning on 3dmark, but am open to suggestions.

Omar Aziz Feb 27, 2003, 03:31pm EST Report Abuse
whats up people.

well your suggestions in this thread have been super helpful and informative. just wanted to let you know the i got mine to work finally.
this is probably old news to you but ECS has release another bios update that solves all the timing issuse we've been experiencing.

you can find it here:

http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/p4vxasd2_5x.html

i hope this helps you all.

now i have one more issue.
now that the board is runnin' at full speed, it wont see all my mem.
i have one 512 chip and one 128 chip but it one sees the 128. i'll mess around some more and post when i figure it out.

Jaime Noyola Feb 27, 2003, 03:43pm EST Report Abuse
Slightly off topic, but I realize there is a wealth of info on this mobo from you guys.

Have the Fry's special and a 80GB HD that IT WILL NOT recognize. It sees fine my 6GB model. I flashed the newest BIOS. Am I missing something. Does our mobo not support large HD's. Any insight.

Jaime

ROY G Feb 27, 2003, 04:39pm EST Report Abuse
It does a great job running a 400fsb but not 533fsb when some of the people say their 2.4 is running fine usually it is 400fsb 2.4 They made the P4/2.4 400fsb and the P4/2.4B 533fsb . Sdram you short jp1 the one in between the sdram and the ddr slots , for ddr you take it off that let`s it have 2.5v for ddr shorted 3.3v for Sdram The above post on the jumpers that are beside Sdram slot the long set when you short them for DDR you have to short them all not just one side All and you will have it reconize DDR open them all instead of putting them on one side to keep from losing them just take them all off ! In the above post if you short both sides it will reconize you ddr and work properly.

John Alexander Feb 27, 2003, 05:03pm EST Report Abuse
The bios update did nothing for me. I did see different symptoms with differentr memory sticks, so I could believe that top tier memory may fix everything. I took mine back for a refund when they would not let me test out a new one. They said they would be happy to do a test post, but that does not cut it. Back to my athlon....

John Alexander Feb 27, 2003, 05:05pm EST Report Abuse
How on can you short both sides of the long memory jumpers when the board only comes with enough jumpers to short one side?

Omar Aziz Feb 28, 2003, 10:44am EST Report Abuse
so i figured out my prob. i tried to use OEM SDRAM on this mobo.
no go.
so i dropped in a kingston 128 chip of SDRAM i had in another machine and walla!
so after some research i got this mobo runnin' at full speed.

a bios update found here:
http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/p4vxasd2_5x.html

full 2.4 ( 533 at 133)

correct settings are
JP1A1 SHORT 2-3
JP1B1 SHORT 1-2

and then just DO NOT attempt to run OEM SDRAM on this mobo. it will not run. go head and drop out some cash for high(er) end SDRAM.
or spend the loot for some DDR and get the most performance for your buck.

good luck folks.

-O

ps dont hate on fry's. not all of em' are jacka$$es. im not going to plug my local fry's but they were very helpfull. its the guys/gals that work the phones and cant figure out how to transfer you to the service dept that are the jacka$$es. lol
thanks.
bub-bye.

ROY G Feb 28, 2003, 03:43pm EST Report Abuse
Good post Omar !!

sinsfeel natural Mar 08, 2003, 01:06am EST Report Abuse
ha, frys support sucks @ss... this mobo sucks, 3 returns later and all the fized on this thread tried and still no avail, bough name brand mushkin 2700 and still doesnt work.... But what is really funny is that I have an old 64MB stick of pc100 and with that I can boot at 2.4GHZ,,,, HA<,,,,, back to frys tommarow,... yet again. this time im not getting this board............................

ROY G Mar 08, 2003, 03:58am EST Report Abuse
Using your head !!

Bill Lawton Mar 11, 2003, 02:00pm EST Report Abuse
I wanted to post a problem I just fixed last night regarding this motherboard that I have seen may be interfering with other people's machines.

My machine was relatively unstable since I installed this board. It would almost never reboot. It had to be powered down for at least 3 min. before it would boot successfully. I have Win2k and it would get to just before the white background screen with the windows logo in the middle and the blue squares update at the bottom of the screen, but instead would blue-screen and display an error message that the BIOS is not ACPI compliant. If I left it powered down, it would boot successfully. Additionally, when it did boot successfully, I would occasionally encounter a loss of printer and/or USB devices and the screen would flicker. Finally, I could not use the on-board LAN port reliably and my floppy drive would not function.

Furthermore, the BIOS hardware monitor screen showed my +5VSB supply at 3.5V!! This was the obvious clue that my power supply was not rated high enough for my configuration (250W supply with standard equip. - 1 HD, 1 ENET card, 1 AGP card, 1 Fireware card, 1.7 GHz Celeron). I finally got a 400W power supply and installed it.

This fixed the low +5VSB reading and all of my posted problems appear to be resolved. I wanted to post this because I had seen some previous posts querying about how much power supply is needed. In my case, this upgrade definately cured my problem.

Gen Sicaeros Mar 13, 2003, 06:22pm EST Report Abuse
>> It all sounds like a lot of fun!
Hey Guys and Gals.. Please welcome the new victim of the P4VXASD2+ 5.0.. the mobo everyone , at least here in this forum, is talking about!!! WoooHoooo!
Yay!

I have found its manual a bit too cryptic to my taste, and their website sucks more than PamAnderson in that unfamous video. Not to mention the time they take, if at all, to respond to our whiny emails sent to tech support.

Anyway...
Status of my new PC..
It is still on the table.. wide open. I am still trying to install the retention module.. that for some odd reason did not come installed already.
I just realized someone stole the thermal paste off the package where my heatsink came in.
Anyway..
I guess I will just memorize all you have said for when I experience the very same glitches, so I thank you for saving me lots of time.

My config is:
P4VAXSD2+ 5.0
Pentium 4: 2.4Ghz, 533FSB, 512K cache i guess
DDR 512MB 2700 Lei System Memory (is that OEM?)
[ 64x64 184 PIN DIMM ]
Maxtor 120GB u/a133
oh.. the PC Case is the Enermax CS-3071-B3A+ EG351P-VD (power supply@350W)
I bought other goodies for it.. but lets first get those wires connected to their correct pins.. your help would be appreciated.. and thanks so much for the tip on the jumpers 100/133.. hehehe.. clever ones you are!
I hope the power I got, 350W, is enough for:
DVD-ROM 16X/40X
CDRW 52x24x52
EIDE internal ZIP 100
56K winmodem
ATI radeon 7000 (32MB DDR RAM!) AGP 2x/4x
the 120GB HD..
and the onboard audio.. never forget some fans.
suddenly it feels i am short on power.. oh poor me.
comments? ideas?
thank you!
Gen.

Now.. i got some questions about the LED, and other small chit chat..

PIN/Whatever they are on the mobo, to connect to the front panel LEDs of the Case (vulgarly known as PANEL 2)

P- and P+ (marked so in my pc case) ; marked on the mobo as "SP +" and viceversa, and to top it off.. SPD+ and SPD- on the manual.

Q: what are those for?

Q: PANEL1: My case comes with frontal audio/mic usb connectors.. (headphone, mic) and inside you get these cables:
Cable 1, with 3 wires:
MIC-POWER [yellow] , MIC-IN [white], GROUND [black]
Cable 2, with 3 wires:
*L-OUT and L-RET [white] : These two are on the same wire, but first it has a branch of it as L-OUT and continues to end on L-RET
*R-OUT and R-RET [yellow] : These two are on the same wire, but first it has a branch of it as R-OUT and continues to end on R-RET
*GROUND [black]

All of those wires that are on my case are to be connected to PANEL 1... I have ideas on how and where would they go. Can anyone share with me their insights?

I am sure we are all familiar with PANEL 1, or have we been so busy with timing that we forgot about the rest of the amenities?
hehehehe

Jens Neurohr Mar 14, 2003, 05:49am EST Report Abuse
Hello dudes..
i have the same problem then u all.. but i have flashed my mobo and it works fine.. but there is still one problem...first time i used SD RAMs PC 133.. with my P4VXASD2+ and a 2.4ghz P4... and i underclock the cpu with 100mhz fsb that the system worx fine.. now i have buy me an 333mhz DDR RAM..so i jump all things back.. and use 133mhz FSB @ the mobo.. so the cpu is running with 2.4ghz.. all ting worx fine.. but
when i try to install any software.. i always get an CRC error on it.. where i before get no CRC errors.. i dont know what i should do.. it really suxx...
greetz jens

Gen Sicaeros Mar 14, 2003, 05:59am EST Report Abuse
Darn! It all just makes me want to put the thing back in the box and run for Fry's... i think i might end up trading it for another one..
i am not sure if i could.. its been like 20 days since i got it.
but i will give it a shot anyway.
Gen

Howard Herrera Mar 14, 2003, 12:58pm EST Report Abuse
Well, I got this thing running about a month ago and suddenly it doesn't want to boot anymore, I didn't botter wating my time with more troubleshoting so I got a different one (EPoX 4G4A+) and haven't had a single problem with it.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.