Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 995 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s August 10 - 09:45am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Can't Flash P4VXASD2+ BIOS: "Chipset/Flash part isn't available..." 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
Lee Finkel Dec 29, 2002, 11:54pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Can't Flash P4VXASD2 BIOS: "Chipset/Flash part isn't available..."
I just reset the jumpers and, lo and behold, I am now running at 2.4 GHz. I pulled the jumper off the battery JBAT1 for a few seconds to allow CMOS to reset before rebooting. That may help.

Now if I can just figure out why the boot stops with these current video cards....

I plan to call Fry's here in Phoenix tomorrow to see if the techies have any ideas. They are selling a bunch of these VIA boards and must have some history built up by now.

Thanks for the jumper notes on the P4 clock speed.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Gordon Hou Dec 30, 2002, 01:30am EST Report Abuse
Some OEM memory does not work at SBF 133MHz.
First, when I changed the jumper to set SBF to 133MHZ, my computer can not boot with the OEM 512MB PC133 memory, then I replaced the memory with OEM 256MB PC133, which also failed during the BIOS self test.

I tried the CENTON PC133 and it works(SBF 133MHZ, CPU run at 2.4G)

Richard Ozer Dec 30, 2002, 02:30am EST Report Abuse
When you were attempting to use the 512mb RAM, was your symptom complete inactivity during the post (i.e. no drive access, beeps, or video)?

RO

Lee Finkel Dec 30, 2002, 08:32am EST Report Abuse
I have activity. The boot process begins, monitor comes on and it gets stuck (in the BIOS program?) "Analyzing netork media type, this will take several seconds....OK"

Then it goes through
RPL-ROM-ADR: #
RPL-ROM-IRQ: #
RPL-ROM-PIO: #

RPL-ROM-FFC: starts counting 1-200

then crashes -- boot failure

I am using Corsair 2X256Mb DDR PC2400 memory. I had not considered that might be part of the boot problem.

I plan to try the BIOS update later today unless Fry's tells me somethig different.

Lee

Gordon Hou Dec 30, 2002, 02:09pm EST Report Abuse
When OEM 512MB PC133 was used, nothing happened except two beeps.
For OEM 256MB PC133, if enable quick boot, the windows 98 started but can not run programs, when quick boot is disabled, BIOS report memory test error at 130MB.
Both of them work perfactly at 100MHz SBF(CPU 2.4G but runs at 1.8GHz).

Ed McCauley Dec 30, 2002, 06:08pm EST Report Abuse
Thanks Vincent, Richard and the rest of you for solving my problem. I have version 5.0 of the P4VXASD2+ motherboard. I downloaded DOS 5.0 to a floppy from http://www.bootdisk.com/original.htm and deleted the QBASIC stuff to leave room for the flash utility and BIOS update. I used the aminf335.exe flash utility and E021125S bios (as extracted from p4vxasd2p021125.exe file) as prescribed and was able to boot with this disk and flash the bios.( A>aminf335 E021125S.rom )After the flash the speed utility: http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/frequencyid/
was used to check the speed which reported 1.8 GHz and 400MHz FSB. Then after re-jumpering JP1A1 to short 2-3 and JP1B1 to short 1-2 I re-ran the utility and viola! 2.4GHz, 533. Thanks again!

Lee Finkel Dec 30, 2002, 11:36pm EST Report Abuse
Can one of you please tell me where to find the p4vxasd2p021125.exe file? I do not know how to get to the FTP site and I do not see a BIOS file later than 021101S on the Website. Thanks.

My boot problem has now changed since I disabled the network search, now it just refuses to save the hard drive in BIOS and looks for a boot disk. I hope the new BIOS solves this final issue for me.

Lee

Lee Finkel Dec 31, 2002, 12:15am EST Report Abuse
Never mind the last message. I found a new FTP Client and got where I need to go for the latest .rom file.

Lee

Lee Finkel Dec 31, 2002, 12:58am EST Report Abuse
I finally found the issue -- the Quick Boot feature in BIOS is too fast to detect my 40Gb hard drive. As soon as I disabled the Quick Boot in the Advanced Settings, even if I hit Escape when the RAM is counting, the machine boots up perfectly. If the Quick Boot is enabled, the boot sequence crashes because no HD is detected. So, is 2.4 Gb too fast for the HD, or is there another explanation?

John Uline Jan 01, 2003, 12:01pm EST Report Abuse
I downloaded the rom and the utility from the ftp site and it actually was the correct versions. Update went fine but still almost every boot up get the error message "keyboard not connented properly" Yes that is the spelling they have for "connected" Press F1 to continue" loads os fine but what a pain for a new computer. Left an email at ECS week ago but they haven't responded. Why wouldn't they put the lasted versions on HTTP? Also the website says that that version addresses the usb keyboard issue. NOT

John cronner Jan 02, 2003, 12:32am EST Report Abuse
I noticed you have the same mothebaord as me. I am wondering if you can help me. Im having trouble with the panel connectors for power, HDD, reset switch and so on. My problem is the 2 and 4 pin connectors on panel 2 in the manual. I do not have a connector for this on my case. Im using a P4 case. It says SPD LED for pins 2 and 4. Not available with my case. Ok also on the motherboard there is no connector for power LED. I would guess the two might be identicle, Just different names. If I were to use the power LED case connector with the motherboard SPD LED connection, It should work. Heres my problem my motherboard has two pins together. The case connection is a three pin connector, with the center pin missing. It will not connect.

The weird parts is. From what I know, none of the LED indicators should be needed. All they are is indicator lights and the PC should opperate without being connected.

So with all the other connections correctly matching and all the jumper settings correct. It all should boot up into Bios. All I get on powerup is about three seconds of the hard drive and a green LED on the motherboard. Thats it. I have cheked everything else. It all seems OK.
Anyway youre thoughts would be great!

Thank you! John Cronner

Johny Bravo Jan 02, 2003, 02:23am EST Report Abuse
That's really odd: I also have this mobo (SD2+). The mobo itself has printed '5.0' on it but when i run hwinfo32 software it says that it has P4X266 chipset. After looking at the mobo I realised that SB is VT8235 but NB is P4X266. Strange, huh. This combination isn't stated on the VIA site, they mention that mobos can use P4X266 with VT8233 SB or P4X333 with VT8235 SB. I wonder whether P4X266 with with VT8235 can give 533 FSB.

Richard Ozer Jan 02, 2003, 03:02am EST Report Abuse
I'll be darned. I get the exact same feedback from hwinfo. I believe we have the exact same board, and I'm assuming that you are also unable to get it into 133 mode. I wonder if there is a mis-assembled batch?

Johny Bravo Jan 02, 2003, 04:51am EST Report Abuse
Unfortunatelly I don't have any 533MHz bus Pentium4 and I'm unable to check this mobo against 133MHz clock. I know that ECS is not ABIT/ASUS but thats more than confusing: manual says P4X333 and LAN with VT8235. I have VT8235 but _NO_ LAN and P4X266 North Bridge.

Anyone tested this mobo with 133MHz (I mean version with P4X266 NB)

BTW: happy new year :-)

Johny Bravo Jan 02, 2003, 04:55am EST Report Abuse
Hey, maybe nothing is lost ? There is a version of P4X266 with E suffix (P4X266E). It can work with 400/533 Pentium 4s.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/P4X266e.jsp

John cronner Jan 02, 2003, 04:57am EST Report Abuse
Im unable to get into any mode. But unless I can hook up the power LED connector. How can I know its not just my case. Im confounded because my other PC Athalon XP 2000+ with SOYO ultra Dragon platinum edition has a power led spot on the motherboard. The flaw may ly in the motherboard manual. Which clearly does not specify a connection for a power LED. It does not specify anything for trouble shooting at all. Not even on thier web site. Which is extremely sloppy to say the least.

Lee Finkel Jan 02, 2003, 08:27am EST Report Abuse
John,

The connection of the Power LED indicator has no affect on the booting of the computer. I have the same dilemma, a three pin connector with no place to go. I have not bothered with a work around yet, but getting the computer to boot properly is a whole different issue.

Look at the boot sequence in BIOS. See what the computer is reading first, second, third. Make sure you have power and connectors going to all of your devices, etc. Not sure what else to suggest.

John cronner Jan 02, 2003, 12:11pm EST Report Abuse
There is not boot sequence in the bios. It will not boot into bios at all. There is nothing displayed on the mionitor. Just the hard drive noise and a green led on the motherboard.

M L Jan 02, 2003, 05:20pm EST Report Abuse

The manual says P4X333 and LAN with VT8235. I have VT8235SB with LAN and a P4X266 North Bridge....my audio drivers do not work in Win98SE (Error message under Device Manager: "The NTKERN.VXD, MMDEVLDR.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2).") so I don't know what's going on.

However, I do know that it supports a 533mhz bus as I am running a P4 2.4ghz chip right now.

Anyone have any suggestions on the sound problem?

Francisco Torres Jan 02, 2003, 09:27pm EST Report Abuse
John and Lee,

I had the same problem with my case's power on LED connector. Solution is simple. First, use the SPD LED pins on the motherboard. Second, take your three pin LED connector and move one of the outside cables to the inside (middle) spot. Do this carefully so you do not damage the cable or the connector. The pins on the mobo are set such that the unused spot on the connector will hang out, but this is only an eyesore if you have a transparent case. Also note that the LED is probably polarity sensitive, so keep an eye on your +'s and -'s.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.