Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1031 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s August 10 - 09:46am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Can't Flash P4VXASD2+ BIOS: "Chipset/Flash part isn't available..." 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
Lee Finkel Jan 02, 2003, 10:13pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Can't Flash P4VXASD2 BIOS: "Chipset/Flash part isn't available..."
John,

Is your RAM compatible? The first thing the computer does is look for the RAM and count it. Otherwise, I would see if the motherboard itself is defective.

Lee

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Lee Finkel Jan 02, 2003, 10:14pm EST Report Abuse
Francisco,

Excellent fix. Thank you for the solution.

Richard Ozer Jan 02, 2003, 10:17pm EST Report Abuse
It's certainly in the realm of possibility. The specification is correct, and the Ram functions in 100mhz mode.

I am suspecting video right now. It turns out that my AGP card is 2x and not 4x. Although that works at the slower speed; it could be that it's simply not engaging the bus at the higher clock. Before the machine counts ram.. it does try to put out a video signal.

I'm going to pop in a PCI video card to see if I get a different result.

jungle brother Jan 03, 2003, 02:50am EST Report Abuse
yah, i noticed i cant use my new 512 mb of sd ram, its an OEM.. did any find how to work their ram without the physical dumping memory or computer shutting down randomly quicky after it boots up? plz help

Phil Kim Jan 03, 2003, 03:14am EST Report Abuse
Ugh looks like I'm having the same problem as everyone else....

Can't get my 2.4P4 running at full speed...
Locked at 1.8 at 400...
Tried the jumpers taking into consideration the typo...
Reset the CMOS....

Then I flashed with the new BIOS as mentioned above...
Repeated the process...Still nothing...
I get the powersupply up what I think is a quick HD access and then nothin - just hangs there...

I think Fryes is going to be swamped with calls.
Anyone have the same problems even with the above fixes?
Or am I just still missing something?

Lee Finkel Jan 03, 2003, 09:22am EST Report Abuse
I just fixed my last problem with the HD boot up and having to disable the Quick Boot feature in Advanced Settings. It was the jumpers on the back of my Western Digital 40 Gb HD. I removed the jumpers altogether and it loads in seconds now with the Quick Boot enabled.

Richard Ozer Jan 03, 2003, 10:32am EST Report Abuse
>>Can't get my 2.4P4 running at full speed...

I'm still having this exact same problem. Same attempts as you to fix it. What kind of video card do you have? Is it AGP-2X or AGP-4X? I'm trying to identify some kind of commonality among those who have reported this problem... so far it seems pretty random.

RO

Hon Lam Jan 03, 2003, 12:47pm EST Report Abuse
>> P4VXASD2+ won't pass POST
I purchased a P4VXASD2+ (ver 5.0b) with a boxed 2GHz Celeron just last week. I am using Cruical PC133 128MB SDRAM.

I could not get the thing to pass POST. The bootup causes some noise at the beginning but the monitor is completely black (no activity). Now I am completely dead in the water also.

I had tried both 133/100 (correct) jumper settings; no luck.
I had swapped AGP4 and AGP video cards; no luck.

questions:
(1) Should I use 133 or 100 setting for my 2GHz Celeron?
(2) Which will work? AGP4, AGP2, AGP?
(3) This thread mentioned BIOS flashing. What is the reason? Do I need to flash my BIOS? Can my problem be related to this? How can I flash without passing POST?
(4) What is the most likely reasons for the problem?

Sorry for all these questions; I'm a newbie. Please help!

Francisco Torres Jan 03, 2003, 02:12pm EST Report Abuse
My problem appears to be unique, in that my system works beautifully at 2.4 GHz as long as I do not have a LAN card or the built in LAN port ennabled. If windows detects these during start up, I get a "windows protection error" and the macine goes to safe mode.

The support guys at Fry's can't seem to understand this last bit, as all they suggest is that I try different LAN drivers.

Any ideas anybody? I am running Windows 98.

Thanks

Phil Kim Jan 03, 2003, 04:09pm EST Report Abuse
RO,
I'm using a GeForce Ti running at 4X - 64MB
I disabled my LAN also, running XP and using 512MB DDR...
I hope there's a fix to this...

Phil Kim Jan 03, 2003, 04:10pm EST Report Abuse
RO,
I'm using a GeForce Ti running at 4X - 64MB
I disabled my LAN also, running XP and using 512MB DDR...
I hope there's a fix to this...

jungle brother Jan 04, 2003, 02:01pm EST Report Abuse
does anyone have a suggestion to my ram problem earlier, (should be couple posts up) ..

Andrew Gabries Jan 04, 2003, 03:51pm EST Report Abuse
i have the same problem running at 1.8 and i have a 2.4 ghz cpu. my video card is also running 2x and its 4x

Joe Nibler Jan 04, 2003, 10:51pm EST Report Abuse
Also cannot get P4VXASD2+ V5.0 motherboard with 2.4 GHz P4 and 256 Mb DDR2100 and Win 98SE to run at 133 MHz although it runs fine at 100 MHz. Son has same problem with second board, both purchased from Fry's. Have not flashed bios as yet.

Both systems will boot at 133 MHz in safe mode only and then show duplicate entries for a number of devices such as CDR, keyboard, com1, etc. Switching back to 100 MHz allows reboot in Win and no duplicates.
?

Did not help to disable LAN as mentioned above.

My question: has anyone(!) succeeded in making this board work stably at 133 MHz? If so, any tips? Thanks.

Gordon Hou Jan 05, 2003, 01:01am EST Report Abuse
My computer had same problem with windows98 (at 133MHz, computer only can enter safe mode but without CD drive). After I changed OS to win2000, it runs perfectly at 133MHz (Windows XP also runs fine for this P4VXASD2+ mainboard & Intel 2.4GHz CPU).

I have a problem about CPU Vcore, according to Intel, the 2.4GHz CPU max Vcore should be 1.525V. For my computer, The P4VXASD2+ BIOS hardware monitor report the CPU Vcore is 1.558V. It is over the Intel specs. Any suggestions to fix it?

Richard Ozer Jan 08, 2003, 10:27pm EST Report Abuse
The speed problem with my board was solved by .... getting a replacement board. Same kind, same RAM, same video, same jumper settings... except this one worked properly.

I suspect spotty manufacturing has caused a great deal of trouble for everyone....

To their credit, FRY's was extremely helpful and let me use their bench and tools to test out the replacement board.

RO

Francisco Torres Jan 08, 2003, 11:19pm EST Report Abuse
Gentlemen, I have solved my problem. Here is what I did:

1. Went to Fry's and was told that the problem was OEM memory. Purchased Kingston memory. No change. Returned Kingston memory.

2. Decided to start fresh and upgrade windows. FDISK'd and reformated the hard drive. Installed Windows 98se (originaly had Windows 98). Problem solved.

Good luck to the rest of you.

J Cruz Jan 09, 2003, 12:52pm EST Report Abuse
Hi,

I have the same mobo that you all have. My question is when you first power on the pc, how long does it take before you hear the first beep?
For some reason, when I power up my pc, it takes a few seconds before the screen comes on and I here the first beep followed by 2 beeps afterwards. Quickboot is enabled on the bios.

My config is as follows:

P4 2.0a cpu
Geforce2 Ti with 64mb ddr at 4x
2x 256mb ddr266 pny ram
2x hds
1x dvd-rom
1x cdrw
300 watt ps

Another question, can the p4 2.0a cpu run at 133?

Verl Hoffman Jan 09, 2003, 06:09pm EST Report Abuse
I have the same MB (prvxasd2+) and a 2.0 ghz Celeron CPU and the pc would not post. No beeps, blank screen. I took out the Celeron 2.0 and replaced it with a Celeron 1.7 and the pc booted fine. I then had to go into the BIOS and disable the "on-board" LAN because the bios entered a "testing media" countdown that seemed endless. I set the FSB to 100 with jumpers set correctly as described here and in ECS's manual addedum (40-051-D54505). Does anyone have any ideas why the 1.7 works and the 2.0 does not? Besides the possibility that the 2.0 is bad of course. The 1.7 is a 0.18 micron process and the 2.0 is a 0.13 process. Is this related? I am a newbie here and would appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.

Verl Hoffman Jan 10, 2003, 09:32pm EST Report Abuse
This is a reply I got from ECS:

Dear Sir/Madam:

It supports up Celeron to 1.8G.

Thanks for using ECS products.

Regards,

ECSUSA Technical Support

In answer to this question:

Will the ECS P4VXZSD2+ motherboard support an Intel Celeron 2.0 processor?

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.