Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1077 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s August 10 - 09:47am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Can't Flash P4VXASD2+ BIOS: "Chipset/Flash part isn't available..." 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
Steve H Jan 12, 2003, 08:46pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Can't Flash P4VXASD2 BIOS: "Chipset/Flash part isn't available..."

Has anyone gotten this board to run with a 100 Mhz FSB and 133 Mhz Memory Clock? I've got a Celeron 1.7 and a stick of PC150 (rated) SDRam and even when I set the memory clock to 133 in the BIOS, it still boots up with the memory at 100 Mhz. Also cannot get it to work with DDR no matter what I do. Just gives blank screen and three beeps at power-up. It does work flawlessly when it boots with the SDR (even though it is stuck at 100). I bought this board because it seemed flexible and inexpensive, but boy does it have some annoying quirks! Maybe mine is defective or malfunctioning in some way. Might try to return it for an exchange... any ideas?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Richard Ozer Jan 12, 2003, 09:11pm EST Report Abuse
Mine worked only after replacement. However, I'm using a P4 2.4ghz.

RO

J Cruz Jan 12, 2003, 09:28pm EST Report Abuse
I am running my mobo with a P4 2.0 chip @ 100fsb and 133 mhz ddr memory without any problems. Have you tried going to the bios and setting the Ram frequency manually to 133? Also check to see that the cas# latency is set to 2 rather than 2.5. I had problems with the cas# latency set at 2.5. It wouldn't boot and or had problems booting to windows.

Ryan M Jan 14, 2003, 12:02am EST Report Abuse
Hello. I've recently purchased a brand new, never out of the box, P4VXASD2+ V 5.0 motherboard and an OEM 2.53ghz 533mhz FSB Pentium 4 processor which was guaranteed not dead on arrival from E-bay. I've determined that the processor itself is receiving power, since the heatsink is getting hot when the computer is turned on.

My power supply is I believe a 225watt supply, which was formerly running a 1.3ghz Celeron, two 40gb hard drives striped via RAID controller, an ethernet card, GeForce2 mx 440 128mb SDRAM 4xAGP video, SB PCI 16 sound card.

The Motherboard manual claims that it will accept speeds of 533mhz FSB. The jumper settings say to set JP1A1 to 2-3 and 1B1 to 1-2 I believe for the 133mhz FSB.

By reading the previous threads involving the 2.4B ghz processor running fine at 1.8ghz, I've determined that the jumpers can't be the problem I'm running into.

When I hook up all of the connections, my motherboard receives power, sends it to all connected devices (I.E. NIC, SB, keyboard.) All of my internal drives (IDE CD-RW, 40gb IBM DeskStar) receive power, and my front LED receives power.

The problem:

My computer doesn't even boot to BIOS.

This leads me to believe that there was a possibility that the power wasn't enough to boot all of the devices. So I disconnected 1 of 2 HDs, my CD-RW and floppy, and all of my PCI devices, but left my AGP in. Still no boot to BIOS.

I haven't taken any formal classes for building computers, but to my understanding, even if the processor is dead, the BIOS screen will come up to determine that it isn't working properly, or that there is no processor in the motherboard to begin with.

Since I am unsure whether this motherboard makes the traditional "beep" to signify BIOS startup, I can't tell if maybe my monitor isn't receiving power, or my AGP is broken (which it can't be since I'm using it to type this message).

Can anyone help me out?

J Cruz Jan 14, 2003, 12:08am EST Report Abuse
To my understanding, if the cpu is DOA the mobo will not boot and you will see nothing on the screen. Your best bet is to at least attach the case speaker to the pins on the mobo to see what beeps you are getting. By the beep post code sounds, you'll steer to the right direction to see what the problem is.

Richard Ozer Jan 14, 2003, 12:53am EST Report Abuse
I had the exact same problem.... The solution was to replace the board with one that did not have a manufacturing defect. I have made no other changes... same ram, video, power supply, hdd, etc.

I am convinced that there are a large number of defective P4VXASD2+ boards and you simply have to go back to the vendor and get one that works.

RO

Joe Nibler Jan 14, 2003, 02:29am EST Report Abuse
Ryan:

You might try clearing the CMOS by jumpering Jbat as 23 for about 30 seconds. I have found this necessary for the system to boot the first time you hook up the board.

Richard O:

After your board swap did you still have to disable the on board LAN for the system to work at 133 MHz and 2.4 GHz?

More to the point, has anyone managed to get this board to work at 133MHz and 2.4 GHz with the LAN enabled?

I can get the LAN to work at 100 MHZ and 1.8 GHz or, if I disable the LAN in Bios, the board to work at 133 MHz and 2.4 GHz. But I can't get both to work even tho I have tried two different motherboards, two different power supplies, two different 2.4 GHz CPU's, two different sticks of DDR ram. My conclusion is either that both of the two motherboards I have are bad or else that it is not possible to have the LAN active at 133 MHz and 2.4 GHz. (Maybe that is why ECS says the LAN is "optional".)

Richard Ozer Jan 14, 2003, 07:36am EST Report Abuse
Clearing the CMOS did nothing to help in my case.

I did not have to disable the on-board LAN. It's working as expected. My current configuration is 133mhz clock, 2.4ghz Pentium 4, Performance Optimized CMOS settings, Power Management Off.

RO

Howard Herrera Jan 14, 2003, 09:38pm EST Report Abuse
Hi Richard,

I have the same configuration as yours (P4VXASD2+ and Pentium 2.4Ghz@133MHz)

I have tried both 100Mhz and 133Mhz clock speeds but none is stable, out of 50 boots I have only been able to boot completely once. The other attemps brought me to a blue screen (after the 512MBytes DDR PC2100 Kingston RAM had been verified and the HD and CDROM were detected properly) saying "The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant".
I will continue this troubleshooting tomorrow and will flash the BIOS with the latest one but I have the feeling it is not going to help much.

Fry's run a promotion last weekend (mother board + CPU combo) involving those 2 pieces of HW, I now wonder why they priced it so low ($199.00 for the combo)

Anyway, I will post my results tomorrow.
-Howard

Richard Ozer Jan 14, 2003, 09:46pm EST Report Abuse
I bought mine at Fry's as well for the same price... same deal. It's worth it for the processor alone, but I sure wanted the board to work. It sounds like you have a defective one and I'll bet that there are many.

I showed up early at Fry's on a weekday with my home-built Frankenstein computer, explained what was going on, and asked to try a different board. They let me use their tools and bench and I tested everything to my satisfaction.

I almost went into shock at their level of courtesy and cooperation. They'll make good on it.... just be nice and do it soon.

RO

Ryan M Jan 14, 2003, 09:53pm EST Report Abuse
Alright.

First off, I reconnected all of my equipment back into my tower, and set up all drives on the mother board and power supply. When I attempted to boot once more, still no sound from the speakers. I cleared CMOS to try to see if that might solve the problem. Still no sounds. I tried attaching my case speaker to the board, and for some reason, I dont even get beeps.

I'm confused, since obviously the motherboard is running power through both ends, since the green LED is turning on when I turn the computer on, and the case fans are all working.

Since I figured it may have been that my processor could be too high a speed for the board, I asked to borrow my friends 1.8ghz Pentium 4 which he bought brand new out of the box. Still no boot screen, and what confused me even more is he said he couldn't get his motherboard to work with his processor, but I think that may be because of a motherboard defect on his end, since the processor was brand new never opened packaging.

I'm thinking that it must be the motherboard, but I'm asking for any further ideas just in case I get rid of it for the wrong reasons.

Thanks

Howard Herrera Jan 15, 2003, 02:52pm EST Report Abuse
Well, I tried to Flash the BIOS but guess what, my Main Board can not read anything out of the Floppy disks, it recognizes the unit but when it looks for the boor master record it doesn't find it. I have tried with 3 different Floppy drives and same number of Floppy disks (I tried them in other systems before and they are all OK).

So I can not move forward, hence I am going to fry's in 15 minutes.

Howard Herrera Jan 15, 2003, 05:08pm EST Report Abuse
I got the replacement (exact same board) and now it has booted 5 out of 5 times without any problems at full speed.

My recommendation: Do all the basic stuff and don't spend more than an hour trying to make it work, get a replacement and try again.

I hope that was the end of my problems with that mobo, good luck to those who are just finding out the same problems.
-Howard

Leo Mempin Jan 15, 2003, 05:54pm EST Report Abuse
hello guys,

i had the same problem as what you are experiencing. i almost gave up until i tried to disable the sound card feature of the mobo bec. i bought a cheaper sound card. when i tried changing the jumper to 133, and reboot, i finally have a 2.4 speed. i hope it can be of help to u good luck to all ...

leo

Leo Hombach Jan 16, 2003, 06:19pm EST Report Abuse
Just to let you know, I got the combo of Pentium 4 2.4 GHZ with the P4VXASD2+ MB and I also purchased oem ram memory. Everything worked fine (at 1.8 GHZ) but when I changed the jumpers to the 133 frequency there was chaos: triple long beeps and a black monitor screen and no booting, etc etc. I tried canceling the cmos and fired it up again and it actually started and I was able to access the cmos and I saw that it recognized my pentium as 2.4 GHZ. However, as soon as I changed the cmos to reflect my system, everything failed as before.

I finally solved the situation by removing my oem ram memory and installing the more expensive Kingston chips. Once more I cancelled the cmos and fired up the computer and it booted up to the cmos which I changed, etc., and then it booted up to my OS (Windows XP Professional) and everything seems to be functioning properly, finally.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I suspect the triple long beeps indicate a ram memory problem (oem chips are often mismatched) which does not interfere with the slower 100 frequency but causes problems with the faster 133 frequency. Hope you all find a solution to your problems with the P4VXASD2+ MB.

Leo

Howard Herrera Jan 16, 2003, 08:01pm EST Report Abuse
The only problem left for me is that for some reason this MB doesn't seem to be able to get data out of a floppy disk, I guess I will just have to live with a FloppyDrive-less PC. :-)

-Howard

Francisco Torres Jan 17, 2003, 12:19am EST Report Abuse
Richard and Ryan,

Remember me? I am the one that got the board working once I reformated my hard drive and re-installed windows.

Guess what? Now it is doing the same exact thing that you two have described. Everything powers up but no signs of life from the board. Not sure what happened.

Its been almost a month since I got the motherboard in the $199.00 deal. As you have stated, the deal was good just to get the processor at that price.

At this point, I am giving up on this one and moving on to a different board. Hopefullly from a manufacturer with a quality program.

Regards.

mike lovingfoss Jan 17, 2003, 07:43pm EST Report Abuse
as everyone else I recieved the great deal from frys for 199.99. I have the intel 2.4 chip and cannot get it to run at 133. I can boot at 100 with no problems except the Lan does not work and the sound does not work. The sound card claims it is working properly in device manager but I hear nothing. I installed an old Lan card I had laying around and that works fine. I am going to put an old sound card in also later today. I have tried ddr, sdr, and all sorts of different brands of ram and that changed nothing. I have tried every setting possible in the bios and still no 133. This really sucks and I have learned my leason about buying cheap motherboards. I didnt expect the board to rock just work would have been nice. good luck all.

Richard Ozer Jan 17, 2003, 09:41pm EST Report Abuse
There is certainly a pattern emerging. There seems to be three general failures at 133 mhz.

1. Board does nothing at all (that's what I had)
2. Board has lan card related problems (accompanied by O/S instability).
3. Board has floppy drive related problems.

If you are experiencing #1, replace the board.

If you are experiencing #2, replace the board.

If you are experiencing #3, replace the board.

It's under warrenty! Exercise the piece of paper and make Fry's demonstrate that the package is usable.

I'm completely satsified with my replacement. It's 100% reliable and blazing fast compared to my last board.... but the manufacturers failure rate seems to be pretty bad.

RO

Tim Madsen Jan 18, 2003, 02:19am EST Report Abuse
well i too bought a new in the box ecs p4vxasd2+ w/ a 2.8 p4. and guess what.... i can't even get past the post. i get 1 beep then a long pause then 2 beeps then a short pause then 1 more beep. i tried everything everyone has posted in here. i tried a 1.5 p4 and all i get is 1 beep. it will not boot into bios at all. not only will i be exchanging this board for a new one. i'm going to go buy an asus or intel. this board is a total POS. good luck guys

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.