Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 784 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s January 18 - 11:07am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Can't Flash P4VXASD2+ BIOS: "Chipset/Flash part isn't available..." 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
gou yang Jan 18, 2003, 02:38am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Can't Flash P4VXASD2 BIOS: "Chipset/Flash part isn't available..."
The reason why you cannot run at 133mhz and are having problems at 100mhz is because you are running DDR memory and you must specify it.

Take JP1 out so that JP1 is OPEN. Change to 133mhz and SHORT J2A-J3D.

This will work. It took me only 2 hours to figure this out. This board has been a challenge.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Francisco Torres Jan 19, 2003, 12:20am EST Report Abuse
Following up on my NDIS problem.

I highly recommend the Intel technical support website. Lots of good info under the mobo and P4 sections. The "knows issues and solutions" section under their mobo support site appears to be general to all P4 mobos.

Turns out (per Intel) that Windows 95/98 will not support processor speeds over 2.1 GHz without a special patch that you must get ($) from Microsoft. The incompatability shows up as an NDIS problem. Note that Win 98se and later versions do not have this problem.

I installed Win 98se and my problem was solved. This was before the board fried itself.

I wish I could return the board to Fry's, but I was less than gentle when I removed it. I have anger management issues.

Kurt Bockstahler Jan 19, 2003, 07:17pm EST Report Abuse
Just today, I bought the P4VXASD2+ mobo with INTEL 2.4G chip. After I got it setup, I just got 6 beeps and nothing else. I removed and reinstalled my GeForce 3-2000 AGP video card and it has booted fine ever since (so far!).
It was running at 100mHZ FSB, I changed the 2 jumpers and it changed to 133 FSB. Even with the OEM SDRAM, it it running at a 133 clock rate.
So it seems that I am one of the lucky ones.
The answer about the DDR memory and the jumper was a good one.
Also, after I discovered that I was running 100FSB, I tried to to go into the BIOS and change it, but it was locked, and wouldn't let me. I had to change the jumpers.

Air Butchie Jan 21, 2003, 07:08pm EST Report Abuse
Interesting how Fry's advertises this board with a 2.0Ghz Celeron CPU ($99.99 in Monday's ad), even though ECS's tech supports states that it will only work with a Celeron CPU up to 1.7Ghz... Interesting?? Good luck to all of you that have to mobo...

- Air B

Howard Herrera Jan 21, 2003, 10:16pm EST Report Abuse
Did you actually talk to ECS tech support? Did they say anything about this mobo working with a P4 at 2.4GHz?

Richard Ozer Jan 21, 2003, 11:45pm EST Report Abuse
I did not talk to ECS tech support. The chipset specifications and ECS tech notes strongly suggest that this board supports 2.4ghz. That's what the version 5 bit is all about (as I understand it).

Fry's is willing to make good on the deal... you just have go back there and make them demonstrate a working combo. If you haven't bought one, then you may want to consider a different board. I'm happy with it now, but I wasted way too much time to get to this point. Next time will be an ASUS or ABIT board again.

Mark Decker Jan 22, 2003, 03:07am EST Report Abuse
Purchased the Fry's special:
One P4VXASD2+ v5.0 with Celeron
One P4VXASD2+ v5.0 with Pentium 2.4
Celeron worked great with windows NT.
Same trouble with P2.4 and every possible operating system. Some times no video with 512M and 133 clock. Sometimes partial load of operating system -- wierd stuff.
After setting jumpers correctly (JP1A1 2-3, JP1B1 1-2, voltage change jumper jp1off) and lots of hardware swaps, a memory change did the trick.
Took out OEM 512M and put in spare stick of 256M of Infineon PC2100 DDR SDRAM 133.
Difficult to troubleshoot if you don't have a spare stick of DDR SDRAM around.
Seems like some people did get the OEM PC2700 tested and working. Maybe I need to take a trip to Fry's and make them bench test a combo that actually works with my 512M.

If it doesn't work, swap the RAM . . .

hans neureiter Jan 22, 2003, 11:20am EST Report Abuse
Got one of these mobo's with a P4-2.4Ghz chip and 256Mb DDR 2700 red (Samsung) at Fry's.
First off, nothing but 8 beeps - didn't wake up the CRT.
Changed the AGP video card to a PCI - jeronimo, the screen came to life.
(I guess the contacts on the AGP socket are so close that a minor misalignment makes the card fail. Prying on the mobo and bending the card mount may fix this)
Now it can't find my HD unless I unplug the CDROM and DVD
I can't reconfigure the BIOS settings (disable Quick Boot) - locks up on exit.
ECS tech support has not replied yet.
Anybody know a fix for this? Hate to spend a half a day at Fry's begging for a replacement.

hans neureiter Jan 22, 2003, 11:31am EST Report Abuse
Got one of these mobo's with a P4-2.4Ghz chip and 256Mb DDR 2700 red (Samsung) at Fry's.
First, nothing but 8 beeps - didn't wake up the CRT.
Changed the AGP video card to a PCI. That worked. I guess the contacts on the AGP socket are so close that a minor misalignment causes failure. Prying on the mobo and bending the card mount may help.
Problems I'm having is that it can't find the HD unless I unplug the rest of the drives (CDROM and DVD).
When I try to change the BIOS settings (disable Quick Boot) it locks up on exit. Doesn't matter if jumpered to 100 or 133 clock.
ECS tech support hasn't replied yet.
Anyone know the fix for this?
Hate to spend a half a day at Fry's begging for a replascement.

Arjun Bhuj Jan 24, 2003, 10:03pm EST Report Abuse
>> P4VXASD2+ crahes all the time, CRASH CRASH CRASH
I got this motherboard from Fry's and I don't know how many problems I encountered. After giving up on Windows Xp due to installation failures similar to ones that I read in this thread, I installed Windows 98. Everything seemed fine until I ran a high demanding software and it crashed. This happens whenever a similar software or a high processing software is run. I don't know what the problem is.

Initially I thought that the cpu freezes due to temperature, but I am using a compatible 478 socket fan. I am actually using a Celeron 2.0 GHz and the BIOS recognizes it as 2.66 Ghz. I have the 133 Mhz jumper set, and I don't know if this causing the problem. Do I have to upgrade my BIOS?

There are several other problems like the AGP graphics card functions weirdly only on this motherboard. But it functions perfectly on the older PC. Is there a way to "down-clock" the processor, if that is one of the problems why the processor freezes?

I have checked the jumper settings and others and still don't recognize the problem. Does anyone know a solution to this? If you encountered the same problem and were able to fix it please post it on this thread or email me at arjunsimha@hotmail.com. Thanks

Francisco Torres Jan 26, 2003, 12:12am EST Report Abuse
Arjun,

More than likely you are overclocking the processor, since the Celeron 2.0 GHz is designed for a 400 MHz system bus. First step should be to set the jumpers back to 100 MHz and see what happens.

Arjun Bhuj Jan 26, 2003, 05:47pm EST Report Abuse
>> jumper to 100
I posted a message recently. Thanks for your advice.
I got the 100 MHz jumper set back again, the motherboard recognizes the CPU as 2GHz. But in the BIOS, at the CPU PNP settings the cpu is still locked. Is it supposed to unlocked or locked?

Richard Ozer Jan 26, 2003, 06:17pm EST Report Abuse
It is supposed to be locked in the bios. This board uses only jumpers for making this adjustment.

ROY G Jan 27, 2003, 11:02am EST Report Abuse
Has anyone got this MOBO to go from 100mhz to 133mhz and got it to boot up if so please explain in detail how you done it ?? Please in detail!!

Air Butchie Jan 29, 2003, 06:54pm EST Report Abuse
OK... I recently purchased this board with the OEM 2.0 Celeron from Fry's; since my last posting... And I maybe one of the lucky ones...

Here's what's running with it now:

Intel 2.0 Celeron running at 400mhz Bus Speed
1Gig of SDRAM - 2 OEM chips, 512Megs PC100
Radeon 7500 4X video card with 64Megs DDR
40Gig Western Digital HD - ATA100
16X BTC DVD-ROM Drive
Sony DRU-500A DVD-+RW Drive
Iomega 250MB Internal Zip Drive
OEM 56K Modem
Windows XP Professional OS

Aight... Now for some details... It booted up fine... I didn't change any
of the jumpers... I just plugged in the CPU, memory and other stuff and
"BLAM", it booted... I was expecting beeps, whistles, and other noise,
but it never came up... I booted to a floppy and did a full install of
Windows XP Pro... After 30min or so, XP booted up fine and dandy...
Found all my drives and peripherals.... And get this... Installed the
built in network adapter (I disabled it on the BIOS side)... I have not
updated the BIOS yet (kinda scared since everything works right now)
but will probably do so...

I ran that Intel CPU checker that someone mentioned in an earlier post,
and it comes back with the 2.0 Celeron running at 400mhz bus speed...

Again, I'm probably one of the VERY FEW lucky ones that was able to
get it out of the box and up-and-running in less than 2 hours...

Remember that this is just for the 2.0 Celeron... I have a buddy who's
gonna to let me use one of his 2.4Mhz CPU's... I'm hoping that it'll be
just as smooth of a transition.... <crossing fingers and knocking
on wood>... But I'm holding on for the worst... I'm sure I'll post something
when MY SYSTEM goes bonkers... Thanks ya'll... Lates!!!

- Air B

Slow Poke Feb 04, 2003, 08:26pm EST Report Abuse
Ok... After a good amount of time fighting with the board, I finally got things to work. Don't know if it will last, but it's holding for now.

I too bought the Pentium 4 2.4GHz with the ECS P4VXASD2+ combination from Fry's for about $199 and purchased a 512MB DDR 2700 RAM module.

Made a fair amount of mistakes although some I think were due to the less than clear manual ECS provided.

Here's what I stumbled into:

Problem: Repeated long beeps and no video, etc...
Solution: Oops. Had my board set on SDR memory. Changed the memory type pin located between the DDR and SDR memory slots. Also changed 2 of the long jumpers (located on the edge of the motherboard among a lot of the same jumpers) to short mode as the manual indicated (with arrows and pictures).

Problem: Boots ok, but system only sees a Pentium 4 1.8GHz and believes it is running at 100MHz clock.
Solution: Short jumper 2-3 on JP1A1 & short jumper 1-2 on JP1B1

Problem: Set jumpers as above, but now the board won't even boot into the CMOS.
Solution: The manual was confusing here. As I mentioned in the first problem, I changed 2 of the long jumpers from open to short. What threw me off was that the picture they provided pointed to 2 of the long jumpers. I counted carefully and changed the 2 long jumpers accordingly. However, what they actually wanted was for me to have ALL of the long jumpers shorted. Change ALL of the long jumpers from open to short.

Problem: System sees a Pentium 4 2.4GHz and is running at 133MHz, but the panel connector for the led has 2-pins when the case has a 2-pin on opposite sides of a 3-pin connector.
Solution: The ECS motherboards seem to like the 2-pin connector. You'll need to gently pull one of the wires on the 3-pin connector and re-insert it into the middle slot. You should then be able to plug it into the ECS motherboard's pins.

Problem: A bunch of quick beeps and no video, etc...
Solution: Try reseating your video card. I had pull almost ever connection off of my board trying to figure out what caused it. After reseating my video card, it stopped complaining.

Problem: Can't tell if it's seeing the RAM I installed.
Solution: This board has quite a fast post of the RAM and it may zip by before you can catch it. Go into your CMOS and disable the quick boot option. You should be able to see your RAM being counted.

Problem: It booted to CMOS ok, but I changed something in the CMOS and now it's so familiar no video, etc... mode.
Solution: Right next to your board's battery is a jumper for clearing the CMOS. Switch the jumper to the reset mode, wait a few seconds, and then switch it back. The board will boot up into the default CMOS options, but at least you can try different changes.

I'm probably one of those people who hit every single problem there was to hit. It's a good price, but trying to figure out the manual can be tough. The ECS web site offers no help what-so-ever, so you'll probably get no help in that direction. Hopefully, what I've hit and solved (maybe) will be helpful to others. Let me know if I've been helpful. Good luck!

Johnny Nguyen Feb 06, 2003, 10:14pm EST Report Abuse
could all of these problems stem from the fact that the board doesn't have a 4-pin P4 power connector? i just got this board right now, and i'm looking at it, and it doesn't have the 4-pin. other boards have skipped on this as well, most notably earlier epox boards (4G4A+ etc.) but those are better manufacturers. let's hope it works.

Johnny Nguyen Feb 07, 2003, 06:14am EST Report Abuse
well i have it up and running, and it is running perfect. it gave me a few scares at first though, but now it runs very smooth.

first i install everything, 2.4B and 512MB of generic (LEI brand) DDR from fry's. i took the jumper in between the DIMMs out, and install. hangs at post. then i lowered the ram to 100 speed and it gets through post. so i bust out some high quality ram (twinmos DDR400) that does 220 on default voltage. run this at 133 speed and it goes pretty far but hangs during XP install. kind of p**sed off, i lower it to 100 again, and it runs fine. not happy with the situation, i take the twinmos out and put the generic ram back in and begin to install XP.

during the install of the OS, i start reading the manual to figure out what the heck all those jumpers on the left side were. figure out that they were for DDR or SDRAM selection as well. they have to be all shorted in order for DDR to run according to the manual. well i short all of those jumpers (at first i thought i had to do them individually, but luckily they are in groups of five or whatever) and leave the generic DDR in there, and set everything to 133. installs fine, is fast and zippy, and is running HotCPU for a few hours now.

i wonder why ECS implemented the DDR/SDRAM configuration this way. their K7S5A works flawlessly without all of these jumpers. oh well, gotta read the manual more carefully with ECS!

verdict: kind of screwy install and configuration, but once set right, works perfect.

hans neureiter Feb 07, 2003, 01:47pm EST Report Abuse
As Slow Poke and Johnny pointed out, the manual says the jumpers that select DDR or SDR are "default" short, but are not. Correcting this, now I run at full speed (2.4 Gb at 133 Mhz).
One big problem remaining. I already trashed my old HD (WD 6.4 Gb) und bought a new WD Caviar 40 Gb Ultra ATR. Loading the OS (Win 98 SE) setup stops: "An error was detected while trying to read or write to your HD". Any clues ?
What a nightmare so far. The old P3 board at 300 was slow, but sure.

Richard Ozer Feb 07, 2003, 02:20pm EST Report Abuse
It's probably a driver problem w/ win98. Try this:

Use a standard IDE cable (not the high density cable that came with the new drive). This will force the ide channel to use standard IDE and not high speed IDE. Complete the win98 install and then update the drivers to support the high speed channel. Shut down, change the cable to the high density one, and then reboot.

I had to go through this process with my last motherboard.

RO

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.