Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 375 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 04:50am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Engineering /

Computer restarts for no apparent reason 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
Samir Nomani Dec 24, 2007, 05:31pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Computer restarts for no apparent reason

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Samir Nomani Dec 24, 2007, 05:42pm EST Report Abuse
hey just trying to bring this thread back to life, my computer is also having the same problems.
amd athlon fx-62 2.8 dual core
nvidia 7900 gtko 256mb
2 sticks of 1gb ddr2 667 kingston ram
mobo = optimus seres af590sli2 (manufacture by EPoX)
maxtor 200 gb hd

ok so.. when i first got my computer custom built, these restarts started happening, bsods, the usual, kept on happening untill one day the system wouldnt even boot up properly, so my uncle got it out of the problem and the bsods still persisted after, i lived with it untill the same thing happened, got it repaired,reformated windows os, the people who fixed it (local people) said that the sata wires were connected to the cd/dvd input or w.e, and they said that u were lucky it ran so well, well i was happy they found the problem, but whenever i play high mem usage programs like world of warcraft, skype, or a mixture of small mem usage programs, it restarts and boots up again, i switched the DIMM slots for my ram but it is still happening, ANY ideas on what could be wrong PLEASE reply, thank you. i am really leading towards ram since all my drivers are correct, i did many stress tests on video card, motherboard has been rma for new one, hd has been replaced, all remaining is cpu and mem, but i really do not think my cpu has any problems, im leading towards my RAM. Please again, if u have any ideas pleas please reply really annoyed at this and want to fix before i have to rely on a computer repair service.:)

Samir Nomani Dec 24, 2007, 05:44pm EST Report Abuse
hey just trying to bring this thread back to life, my computer is also having the same problems.
amd athlon fx-62 2.8 dual core
nvidia 7900 gtko 256mb
2 sticks of 1gb ddr2 667 kingston ram
mobo = optimus seres af590sli2 (manufacture by EPoX)
maxtor 200 gb hd

ok so.. when i first got my computer custom built, these restarts started happening, bsods, the usual, kept on happening untill one day the system wouldnt even boot up properly, so my uncle got it out of the problem and the bsods still persisted after, i lived with it untill the same thing happened, got it repaired,reformated windows os, the people who fixed it (local people) said that the sata wires were connected to the cd/dvd input or w.e, and they said that u were lucky it ran so well, well i was happy they found the problem, but whenever i play high mem usage programs like world of warcraft, skype, or a mixture of small mem usage programs, it restarts and boots up again, i switched the DIMM slots for my ram but it is still happening, ANY ideas on what could be wrong PLEASE reply, thank you. i am really leading towards ram since all my drivers are correct, i did many stress tests on video card, motherboard has been rma for new one, hd has been replaced, all remaining is cpu and mem, but i really do not think my cpu has any problems, im leading towards my RAM. Please again, if u have any ideas pleas please reply really annoyed at this and want to fix before i have to rely on a computer repair service.:)

ps srry if this gets posted twice, had to put on send me an email when someone posts a reply to my message, o and also i am talkin off a laptop my comp wont load up right now, it usually does this, i wait, and it powers up normally.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Dec 24, 2007, 05:44pm EST Report Abuse
what is the powersupply, Manufactuer Model and Power Rating? Also swap in some system memory.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Samir Nomani Dec 24, 2007, 05:48pm EST Report Abuse
thank you for the quick reply, i have a chameleon series ASPIRE 550 WATT and i the ram i already listed

jeff pasel Jan 05, 2008, 07:14pm EST Report Abuse
ok .. about 6 months ago i made a post about random restarts ... i listed my computer hardware software etc. .. since then i have replaced 100% of my computer .. cept the monitor. .. i still have the problems ...all new parts, all new drivers, up dated etc. the only thing that i still have from my old PC is my copy of windows .. however i dont believe that that is the issue because i was reading some of the other posts and found that a couple other ppl had gone out and bought new retail versions and still their problems persisted.. so i dont know if there is a magic cure or if those of us that are still having this problem are just cursed .. but does anyone want a kick ass gaming machine (it does not come problem free) thats all i have to say i am done with this BS:angry:

Rick Balwani Feb 01, 2008, 01:28pm EST Report Abuse
Get a mac. Problem solved.

haha. actually i was having the same problem about a month ago with my PC
i had tried absolutely every software test i could think of. my problem was certainly not software based. My computer would just randomly reboot. no messages, no sounds, no warnings, nothing. I am a pretty experienced user, and I just could not figure this out. I came to the conclusion that my problems were either due to the PSU or the Motherboard. And probably due to faulty capacitors. the Motherboard was probably about 4 years old and the PSU was probably about 2 and a half years old. I am still yet to replace them but when i do i will post here to show the results. I had been meaning to get a Mac laptop to play with and learn how to use, so this was the perfect chance. I bought a mac book pro and it is pretty great. just like they say... it just works. haha and i couldn't hold back my Windows fetish either so i am using boot camp to allow my mac to dual boot to winxp. hahaha can't live without my games =]

Samir Nomani Feb 05, 2008, 12:40am EST Report Abuse
yes! finnaly some people who replied, my comp has been dead forever lol... boot up...loop restart i just got GG OWNED by bill gates most likely, ive replaced everythin cept cpu and gcard dont think its either one..i got a new hard drive too, so cant be a virus, the only thing im thinkin about is some random terrorist who is hacking into my cmos and changing kernal stuff lol or w.e, im thinking about 1. getting some nerd to check it out. or 2. waste money on a new OS , ive had the same OS still, so it might be screwd, ya so im leaning towards bios probs or operating system, other than that, please reply if u have any suggestion, i want it to be fixed withot having to pay a lot of money.

Samir Nomani Feb 05, 2008, 12:42am EST Report Abuse
it could also be my ram.. wow i wish i got a mac :P

Chad W Feb 05, 2008, 11:25pm EST Report Abuse
I've been having ridiculous amount of trouble with my computer after replacing the motherboard.
From the board not liking my SoundBlaster card to buying a new network card because the on board ethernet was faulty.

..................not to mention trying to find the right drivers for the on board sound card for days.

Now I'm getting random computer restarts, no Blue screens, just restarts.
I've tested my memory and both sticks are fine.
After reading some of these posts I've realised that the problem could be my PSU not providing enough power to mys**t. I'm using a 'CODEGEN 350W' PSU.

Before I go out and buy a 400W PSU, I'm just after some feedback on whether you think that my 350W PSU has enough oomph to power my system.

SPECS:::

CODEGEN 350W PSU
Asus P4P800-E Deluxe MB
80GB Seagate HDD
2x Legend 1GB Ram
Network PCI Card
Radeon 9600xt GPU
Also got 2 case fans running aswell.

Cheers guys.

Chad W Feb 05, 2008, 11:31pm EST Report Abuse
Ah, and just another thing...

I'm also thinking it could be my BIOS, maybe it needs a flash?
That's outta the question, the reason I replaced motherboards is because I screwed my last MB whilst flashing the BIOS causing it to be corrupt.

I REALLY want to flash my BIOS so now I have to find someone with better knowledge of BIOS's to flash it for me....

Mak Krnic Feb 18, 2008, 01:11pm EST Report Abuse
I have had similar problem for about a month.

The computer would restart for no obvious reason with the hard drive's short beep. So I found out that my HDDs were overheating (it makes sense because I have three of them in the same place) and i litarally taped the fan that I took out of some old power suply and plugged it in the power cable for HDD or CD. And it is working normally now. it almost never restarts.

here is the link to the photo:
http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00072bz1.jpg

Daniel McFree May 08, 2008, 09:51pm EDT Report Abuse

Daniel McFree May 10, 2008, 02:36pm EDT Report Abuse
Update...

Well, it doesn't look like it's the RAM. The computer restarted even after only having the newer RAM. The only thing which is the same is the Windows XP, power cable, and the DVD drive...

What's going on?

Drums Doom Jul 08, 2008, 04:53am EDT Report Abuse
Hi,

Hi,

My computer restarts itself every now and then. I was told to do this......

Right click on My Computer and select properties.
Click Advanced tab.
Click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Failure uncheck Automatically Restart.
Click OK.

This won't cure your problem, as instead of restarting you'll likely get a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) instead, but the information displayed will allow you to trace your problem, or post it here!

Now im gettin the BSOD...
Technical information provided is : ***STOP: 0x000000FE (0x00000004, 0x8398C9D0, 0x8476DA78, 0x00000000)

Could somebody pls help me with this... What could be the problem?

Ness H Jul 09, 2008, 06:47am EDT Report Abuse

I DONT KNOW WHAT MOTHER BOARD, PROCESSOR, ETC. ARE INSTALLED IN MY COMPUTER & FRANKLY I'M AFRAID IF I LOOK, I'M GONNA RIP EVERYTHING OUT OF IT. THIS PROBLEM IS DRIVING ME CRAZY. ALSO, I DONT THINK KNOWING WHAT SPECIFIC HARDWARE IS INSTALLED IN MY COMPUTER IS GOING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. I DONT BELIEVE THIS IS HARDWARE RELATED. MY FANS ARE ALL WORKING OK, THERES PLENTY OF FREE SPACE ON MY HARD DRIVES, I HAVE SUFFICIENT MEMORY & THERE ISNT ANY DUST INSIDE THE TOWER.

I've posted this on a couple boards, had lots of views but NOT ONE PERSON KNOWS HOW TO FIX THE PROBLELM? (I find that hard to believe!) Anyways, I'm having the same reboot without warning problem (no error message, just black screen, then it boots up - a lot slower than usual). I read thru this forum but didnt see a fix that I either hadn't tried or that pertained specifically to my issue.

It first started after a windows update. I thought I'd fixed the problem, but the it came back 2 days ago while trying to correct a java run error I rec'd while trying to play a game on the AOL game site (think it was re: more than one virtual machine running-or something like that-I cant remember exact problem, sorry). Specifically, my computer reboots whenever I try to play runescape. I can usually log in, then after approx. 2-5 mins of game play (sometimes it happens immediately after logging in), the computer screen goes black & then boots up. I can no longer run the game in IE 7.0 OR using an rs "toolkit" such as SwiftKit or SideKick (I know I probably shouldn't use these programs, but they haven't given me any problems so far - and I don't believe either of these programs is causing the problem) - don't think Mozilla will work either. (I had this problem with IE 7.0 a couple months ago, but got around it by using SwiftKit or SideKick. Now I can't use either!) I restored the computer to a couple days ago, before the problem occurred. I ran all the diagnostics/cleaners such as windows disk cleanup, diskchk, RegistrySmart, CrapCleaner and Windows Live OneCare. I uninstalled/reinstalled IE 7.0 and uninstalled/reinstalled Java (to the latest update). I even uninstalled/reinstalled SwiftKit and SideKick. I cleaned the dust out of the tower and removed the most recent windows updates (first occurance of problem started right after a windows update + windows updated right before this problem started). NOTHING has fixed the problem! So far, the only time it reboots is when I log into runescape. This problem has me very, VERY aggravated! :angry: (Mainly cuz I cant figure out whats going on!)

Anyone have an idea about what's causing the problem? Any assistance will be GREATLY appreciated!!! (Before my comp goes out the window!) :~

PLEASE HELP!!!! Thanks!

Jonathan Walker Sep 02, 2008, 06:21pm EDT Report Abuse
I have an idea of what it may be......I was having the same exact problem. I tried everything. Got a new power supply, looked in my BIOS, checked safe mode, EVERYTHING. Finally I gave in and erased everything off my hard -drive, reinstalled windows, antivirus, etc. My computer worked fine. For two days. Then I finally decided to load up the ethernet driver so I could get online and update everything. Still worked fine. Then I updated my windows with the auto-update. 1 hour later BANG SHUT OFF for no reason. I restart it did it again and again. I finally got it to stay on long enough to un-install windows updates and it worked fine. I don't know specifically which update it is though, as I updated using that package thing they provide.

Daniel McFree Sep 08, 2008, 12:05pm EDT Report Abuse
Well, turns out it's a motherboard problem. Oddly enough, I think it's because of the RAM. Since this is the third MB I placed the same RAM into, I can only guess they are destroying the motherboards.

I keep getting the same error in the same place on all stick individually, and that's damn near impossible without an MoBo issue.

I'm just going to completely rebuild the computer from scratch again, minus my HD's:X

Weston Mar 01, 2009, 12:37am EST Report Abuse
I had some problem. I built my computer 3 years ago and started having this problem. I t would restart at what seamed to be random intervals.I was sure it was an over heating problem. So i upgraded to an after market heat sink and fan, added an extra internal fan. With no improvement i was getting upset. Tho forums had alot of ideas but noting seamed to work. Then i decided to get a new power supply with no change. Next I was thinking it was ram. So i striped down to 1 stick and rotated them out to see if i could isolate the problem. problem still persisted. i was about to give up and scrap my system thinking it was my Mother board. My last hope was strip my system down just to the needed components required to run. Come to find out the problem was caused by an extra component i dint even think that could cause such a problem. After removing all my Extra PCI components the problem was fixed. Rotated them out and found it was my ati theater 550 pro tv tuner card that i hadn't even been using in over a year but still had it hooked up. Hope that helps someone.

Daryl Shippee Dec 03, 2009, 11:17am EST Report Abuse
OK i know this is a dated post but i am encountering a very similar problem with my computer. but first this is what i am running and what programs are installed that i use.

IBUYPOWER (modified from original due to hardware failure)
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 6000+ 3100Mhz (2 cores( (2 logical)
system type: X64 Based
RAM: Kingston DDR2 2 gig 800Mhz (there are four installed and all working properly)
HDD: Hitachi Sata 500Gb @ 7200RPM
Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM
PSU: 800W sheathed cables for better airflow also modular (do not know name)
Monitor: 32 Inch LCD RCA HDTV hooked up through HDMI (DVI-HDMI cable)
Graphics: Nvidia 9600 GT 512 (+2 gig from system) there is also a onboard gfx but have never used it.
Software
as stated the OS is windows 7 ultimate x64
anti-Virus: Mcafee + AVG (i use multiple because one wont catch everything)
Nero 7 (i think the ultimate one or whatever it is called)
Steam (http://www.steampowered.com) game client for Valve)
Half-Life 1&2 + HL Source
Counter strike + Counter Strike Source
Day of Defeat + Source
HL Deathmatch + Source
Left For Dead
Portal
Natural Selection
Crysis (full not the dumbed down warhead version)
+ more from vavle complete pack
^Games
GOM Player
CCleaner (i love this program)
Ventrilo
AnyDVD
Google Chrome (web browser)
None of these programs autostart when the computer boots.

Now about a month ago i installed the afore mentioned OS windows 7, this was because windows vista was having far far to many issues to deal with. ( Explorer.exe continually crashed causing loss of all data that was being processed) it has been running fine up until yesterday. was watching a video on HULU. and checking my email at the same time during their commercials. the screen started flickering only in the web browser window. stopped for a few seconds the flashed a couple more times. the computer then tried restarting itself (have not once gotten a BSOD. even when told not to restart). the computer got past the bios page then started the Hardware Enabling and got stuck. i let it sit thinking that becuase it did it on its own maybe would be taking a little longer. two or three minutes later held the power button in the shut down completely then turned back on this time it could not find the Keyboard and then did what is mentioned above. shut down again after getting stuck and was finally able to login to windows. i let the computer sit with just the absolute basics needed running in the background and even idling it restarted itself. went through the entire process from above again and decided to check to see if i could finish the video. watching videos online or playing Runescape (i know horrible game but hey its addicting) seems to speed up the problem of it having the issue mentioned above. i have unpluged all the external devices and gotten most of the videos that i have on this thing onto a flash drive. was going to do a bios update but fail to see how that would help when it was working perfectly for nearly a month. i should also let you all know that quite a bit of hardware has already fail but was peripheral and has not been a determent to the running of the computer. (card reader, Original PSU fried out of blue, front input jacks "audio, mic, USB, Esata") If anyone has any ideas it would be very very much appreciated. this computer is less that a year old and should not be having the issues that it has had.
as stated any help whatsoever will be very much appreciated. thank you for taking the time to read this rather long post but it did say detail lol.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.