Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 475 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 06:20am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Engineering /

Computer restarts for no apparent reason 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
Oliver Carabia Feb 24, 2006, 07:02pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Computer restarts for no apparent reason

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Brendan Falvey Feb 24, 2006, 07:34pm EST Report Abuse
Suggest you look at the Microsoft knowledge base. for the parameter numbers in particular. It looks like a STOP message in content but the format is different. If it is or a similar message usually the first parameter is the main one that points to the problem area often seemingly cryptic it may suggest a dirive ror hardware but gives you some idea

Peter Hutchings Feb 25, 2006, 06:55am EST Report Abuse
Oliver,
Just out of curiousity, have you tried my solution of decreasing the motherboard FSB speed? e.g. from 333MHz to 266MHz.

Oliver Carabia Feb 26, 2006, 07:49am EST Report Abuse
Brendan, I would consider the driver problem if the restarts wouldnt happen also in a formatted hard drive, which they do. Even when I tried to install xp in a clean hard drive it gave several errors, what is strange is that everytime it gave a different error, maybe just a restart, maybe a blue screen with the page_non_fault or something like that, maybe an irq message.. everytime one different.

And I tried downing the FSB speed from 333 to 266 and 133 even, Peter. I tried with the multiplier too, the ram speed too, and several more options, nothing helped.

Yesterday, I bought the processor, an amd barton 2.8, and the computer hasnt restarted once. I haven't played too much though, nor I used applications which demand a lot of cpu charge, so i can't assure it is running good now. I'll report you some feedback of my situation next days

Scott Guthrie Mar 31, 2006, 04:09pm EST Report Abuse
I was having this same problem on a customer's computer. Here are the system specs and what I did to resovle the problem.

Custom Built PC
AOpen Motherboard AK79D-400VN nForce2 Chipset
Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 One Stick NEW ( the system had two PC2700 Mixed Viking Brand, One stick tested bad with memtest86 ver 1.65)
ATI Radeon 9200SE 128Mb DDR AGP
Western Digital Hard Drive WDC-WD2000JB

Replaced thermal compound on the processor with Artic Silver 5
Updated the Bios
Updated the chipset drivers
Updated the video drivers
Updated Directx
Performed Windows/Microsoft Updates
Tested Power supply with a POWMAX Power supply tester

Tweaked some BIOS settings as follows:
System halt on all errors, but keyboard
Made sure the AGP Apature was set to the video ram size (128 in my case)
Disabled AGP Fast Write
Made sure nothing was under or over clocked by setting any thing possible to AUTO or BY SPD setting
Set system fan settings to 100% (this option is unique, if you dont have it dont worry with it)

So far so good.

A Computer Store, Inc.
Scott Guthrie CEO
http://www.acomputerstore.com/

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Mar 31, 2006, 04:43pm EST Report Abuse
wanna know what else you should shut off, Automatic Restart and Also VPU Recovery, for Automatic Restart go into system properties, click advanced tab, under startup and recovery and uncheck automatic restart.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
carlo ortega Apr 01, 2006, 12:02am EST Report Abuse
i found the solution to my problem.

basically, it was my network card that caused the whole problem.

the netgear fa311 series of network cards would randomly shut down a computer whenever there was too much internet traffic.

I changed my network card to a new linksys brand and i havent had problems since.

hope this helps.

Chris McNally Apr 01, 2006, 05:39am EST Report Abuse
Thanks for the feedback carlo.

Regards,

Chris McNally

Moderator - Hardware Analysis
E-mail: chris@hardwareanalysis.com
Dave Kosnik Apr 01, 2006, 02:46pm EST Report Abuse
I've had a similar problem for several months. I've read all the replies but never found anything that may definately apply to me. First off, here's my computer stats: E-machinesT2341 Windows XP. L7VMM2 Motherboard. Originally 128 MB RAM. Took that out and replaced it with 1024 MB RAM.
External equipment: Maxtor 80 GB external HD. Canon Scanner. HP Deskjet 722C. Replaced CD-RW that came with model with DVD-RW.

Basically it will restart randomly. At first I thought it was just overheating and the fan had gone bad but it's done that shortly after I've booted up as well. I don't get any blue screen type of message. Mostly, after it boots back up a web page will come up from Microsoft saying that they are still reseaching the possible problem as to why it restarted and just keep submitting said info until the problem is solved. Well, that's all fine and good but I still don't have a solution. As for unclicking the automatic restart option, it seems to me that doing that wouldn't solve anything if I still restart or shutdown. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Dave Kosnik

Dave Kosnik Apr 01, 2006, 09:30pm EST Report Abuse
It did it again a few times. Here's the message I got via web page.

Error is being researched

Thank you for submitting an error report to Microsoft Online Crash Analysis. Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with specific information about how to resolve this problem at this time. The information that you and other users submit will be used to investigate this problem.

Analysis

This error is currently being researched.

Getting Help

If this problem occurred after you installed a new hardware device or software on your system, try one of the following:

* If you know the hardware or software manufacturer, contact the manufacturer's product support service for assistance.
* If you don't know the manufacturer and need help diagnosing and resolving this problem, contact your computer manufacturer's product support service.
* For information about Microsoft support options, visit Microsoft Product Support Services.

Dave Kosnik Apr 01, 2006, 09:33pm EST Report Abuse
Error report summary

Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
Solution available? : No (see Next steps)
What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart
Cause : Unknown device driver
Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

Information about this error

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

Next steps

We have analyzed your error report and at this time are unable to determine the exact cause of the error. However, Microsoft will continue to analyze this error report to try to determine the specific cause of the error. If we are able to find the cause and correct it, and you encounter the same problem, you will receive an updated response that includes instructions for resolving the problem.

Deku Link Apr 02, 2006, 06:43am EDT Report Abuse

Oliver Carabia Apr 02, 2006, 10:52am EDT Report Abuse
Deku, you are still mising the processor. Changing it for another solved my problem. If u have the possibility of trying another processor please post the results here. My girlfriend started having the same problem soon after i solved mine and i'm not sure if buying a new processor would solve hers. Thanks

Deku Link Apr 02, 2006, 05:38pm EDT Report Abuse
Thanks for the reply, i was thinking it could be that or the mobo/ram, im going to test it with memtest86, see if that can tell me if the ram stick is the problem. Thanks

if nothing is wrong with the ram ill have to wait a while to get a new processor since i only have another socket A processor.

SuPeR Xp Apr 02, 2006, 06:04pm EDT Report Abuse

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Deku Link Apr 02, 2006, 07:22pm EDT Report Abuse
the temperatures are fine and well below overheating according to pc wizard 2006, i did the memtest86 scan go for 30 minutes and when i came back it had 66 errors, couldnt scroll to them all because the computer would just restart when i press any key on the keyboard, is memtest accurate? on the site it says sometimes it detects errors in the processor and motherboard too i think, you guys probably know more about it than i do, you think it is safe to say it is my ram stick and need to replace it? Thanks

Oliver Carabia Apr 02, 2006, 08:59pm EDT Report Abuse
well deku, how many sticks do you have? one stick of 1024 mb?. To be sure it is the ram just ask a friend for a stick of ram, its a very easy component to get from someone, so try another stick before buying a new one. I havent tried memtest86 myself so i cant tell you anything about it. The best thing you can do is try a different stick.
In case you got the ram in two or three sticks try them alone and in different places. See ya tomorrow. Good luck.

Deku Link Apr 05, 2006, 10:54pm EDT Report Abuse
Well, i put in an old 256 ram stick from my old computer onto this one and it doesnt randomly restarts anymore, thank god im so happy now i just need better ram :)

Janssen Calalang Apr 21, 2006, 04:16am EDT Report Abuse
This also happened to me, what I did was I replaced the screws attaching my motherboard to my atx case, and it worked, no more restarts. Screws must be grounded or sumthin

Leon Robinson Apr 21, 2006, 12:49pm EDT Report Abuse
Ok just a suggestion to you all, Try changeing your PSU power cord to a TOTALLY seperate and new socket, I will explain why i say this when i get change have to rush, speak later.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.