Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 856 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 24 - 07:50pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

What ever happened to INTEL? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
Sean B Feb 05, 2005, 05:16pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: What ever happened to INTEL?
Carter,

Hi, my name is Sean. I own a quad Xeon workstation.

There, now you know one more person. And I am not misinformed, rich, or careless... just a professional who likes to do his job productively.

Please don't speak for Kenton unless he is your spouse and he has died. He's a big boy; he can take care of himself. He doesn't need you paraphrasing his thoughts.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
G. G. Feb 05, 2005, 05:27pm EST Report Abuse
Carter

So with your statement of the only ones that get an intel are "rich/misinformed/careless" would be the same as someone saying that ones that get AMDs are "gamers/young n stupid/zit headed" ???????? arent you paint brushing everyone that you may not agree with in one group????

At the time when I built my system I picked Intel because they were the one that i preferred at the time. I use my system for as long as it can be used and when the next time to build a new system I will then choose whomever that is better for that time let it be Intel, AMD, or some third party that will take me on for the next few years. Both companies have pros and cons to their offering. One will lead the other at a certain time and then the other will regain back the title at a later time.

So if i am what your quote says then you must be the quote that I counter with. But you know what..... in real life I would never make my statement about you. I would say that you would prefer AMD and you are happy with it and that is great. I would rather see you happy with a AMD than owning an Intel having hot flashes, rashes, and grumpy all the time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
PCGEEK Feb 05, 2005, 05:42pm EST Report Abuse

Kenton Adams Feb 05, 2005, 05:50pm EST Report Abuse
AMD (Eagles) - INTEL (New England)
Philly is going to crush the Patriots tomorrow! (well, at least win)

Sean B Feb 05, 2005, 05:51pm EST Report Abuse
Josh, no, just f**k off.

You're a biased little prick with no technical know-how.

You bought into AMD because of the hype and trend. In my book, that makes you a sheep.

G. G. Feb 05, 2005, 06:01pm EST Report Abuse
Sean is gonna pop a cork.... stand back...

Josh, you were doing great until the last sentence...... what a waste... you just add in more kindlin to the fire and pointless. You want Sean to pop dont you.... well you can clean up the mess.

me personally... I like it when the two company goes back and forth because what we have today is because of that. Heck I wished there was a third in there to make it more interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Sean B Feb 05, 2005, 06:04pm EST Report Abuse
It seriously gets annoying, especially when 97% of the people on here are AMD biased and they know that and use it to their advantage to get their personal agenda across.

Sometimes it even gets interlaced into sounding factual..... it's just pathetic. For example, the whole "AMD is better for gaming" statement that nobody can seem to produce hard proof of.

Daniel Gibbon Feb 05, 2005, 07:12pm EST Report Abuse
i own both a amd system and a intel system and in all honesty i can say i notice that they are both excellent systems. The intel i can keep opening program upon program and theres no slowdown the amd runs cooler however they both play games well and i see no fps differences really between either system but windows definately runs faster on the intel system so i suppose i prefer the intel and all these benchmarks are all synthetic so who can really say intel are worse at gaming than amd?.

AMD 3200+ 64 90nm @STOCK an proud
msi platinum neo 2 nforce 4
2gb 4x 512mb PC4000 Ballistix
sapphire x1900xt 512mb
4 x Western Digital Raptor 74GB
2 x 500gb hard drives
Koolance Exos cooling system with 265watt peltier
mx1000 laser mouse
Tagan
Josh Little Feb 05, 2005, 07:18pm EST Report Abuse
Sean that was a sick and twisted comment and if u dont like that 97% of us are AMD people then leave. I dont mind you in here because you no what your talking about most of the time, but when you start calling peoples names like we did in 2nd grade, it shows your not mature enough to be here. You can't work out problems with people. That is half the problem with peole these days, is they resort to cussing and violence to solve things. This is comming from a 15 year old who likes computers and acts more mature then you ever will. I dont mean to sound like Gandi the peace keeper but you need to understand what this forum is about and that is to help people with computer problems. That goes for everyone who wants to start fights.

Thx,
Josh

My System:
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
- ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe WiFi nForce 590 SLI
- G.SKILL 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 800
- EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 SUPERCLOCKED
- Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000rpm
- Seagate 250GB 7200 RPM Storage HD
Col Feb 05, 2005, 07:40pm EST Report Abuse
I'm making a bad habit of this, however I I think I agree with part of what Sean said in his last point (or at least what I thought he was trying to say reading through the insults. I don't agree with his earlier points or the manner of his posts but that's a different story) I don't think any of us will notice any difference in speed in any system above 3.0 GHz, from either Intel or AMD.

My last system was an Intel 3.0 Northwood, I now have an AMD 64 3500, I like this system more, it feels faster (which is the main thing) however, I feel that it isn't down to the CPU, it's the whole system, I have Much better hardware, inc a new HD, PSU, RAM, Mobo, GC, so it is near enough impossible to compare like for like.

I think this whole Intel/AMD thing is pointless, they are both very good processors, the only areas where AMD are ahead is heat the onboard mem controller and 64 bit, however, it would appear that Intel are about to let their efforts out of the box and onto the market perhaps even this month so we will see who is better (this time) very soon. It would also appear that Microsoft are near to completing XP64 so we will finally find out if this whole 64Bit issue is worth the hype, I personally don't think it will initially, it might in a year or so when other software developers catch up, however, that isn't going to be too quick.

With regards Sean's comment about AMD not being better than Intel at gaming, I think it comes down to which game you are playing, it does appear that the AMD 64's are better, I know my in game rates went up, even when I had my old 9800 Pro (Which I had in the Intel 3.0) but I think that is expected as the 2 CPU's are not like for like. It is a general feeling (even on the review sites and mag's such as PC Pro) that the AMD is better at gaming than the Intel, if you can prove that is not the case, I am sure they will all be very interested!

Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD X2 4600
1 GB Crucial Ballistix
X800 PRO
2 x 200 GB SATA WD HD
Pioneer DVR 108 DVD RW
Audigy 2 ZS
Lian Li PC60
430 Watt Antec PSU
Samsung 172x TFT
Chris G Feb 05, 2005, 08:05pm EST Report Abuse
I am not biased, if I was I would have never bought my 3.0Eghz Presssscccoootttttt. Presc Hot!, lol. I got away from it because it ran way too hot and it would heat my room (literally).

Dell Inspiron 9300 *Pentium M @ 2.00Ghz* (17" widescreen with TrueLife)
Sonoma chipset
256MB NVIDIA 6800 Go Graphics (PCI-E)
512MB DDR2 *533Mhz* Dual Channel
Wireless/Bluetooth (A,B and G)
60GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
Josh Little Feb 05, 2005, 08:07pm EST Report Abuse
My comment was reffering to the post he made about blowjobs, guys and AMD fans, which is rather disturbing IMO.

wait its about SuperXP and hist list of guys who give him BJ's

My System:
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
Sean B Feb 05, 2005, 08:13pm EST Report Abuse
Josh, for someone who aided in conjugating a group of people in order to coerce Michael Hill to have me banned because you disagree with my views, I wouldn't be talking about maturity if I were you.

Col, the point I've been trying make is that, yes, AMD processors naturally produce higher framerates in games due to shorter pipelines, but that is not a selling point whatsoever. It's annoying to continously hear that over and over and over. When people discuss the pros of AMD processors these days, they sound like used car salesmen.

What arguement does anyone have when the human eye is unable to process more than ~24FPS and is unable to distinguish between 22 FPS and 29 FPS, and your system is rendering over 30FPS?

If you're going for technicality, then you have a leg to stand on, but the broad statement that the brand of processor you choose will ultimately affect how you visually percieve a certain piece of software needs specific and detailed justification, such as that which I just provided.

My justification for preferring Intel processors over AMD processors is simple: The output that comes from an Intel processor in the work I do is, in fact, visually percievable. Unless you don't believe in quantum physics, time, and space, there is no way to dispute a lower rendering time when it's presented right in front of you on screen. There is real world practicality in buying an Intel processor. Work is more efficient because you're able to do just as much as an AMD processor, but in relatively less time. I appreciate the fact that I can actually see that my processor is performing a function at the best of its abilities... and even better than other processors' abilities.

I agree with you that the processor is not the only component that determines system performance... and I wish people would stress that more often.

I would take a 3000+ and 1GB of ram over a 3800+ and 512MB of ram any day... and I'm sure anyone who sits down and thinks about it would find that irrefutable.

Sean B Feb 05, 2005, 08:16pm EST Report Abuse
That comment was appropriate for what it conveys.

You guys appear to be SuperXP's lap dogs when you talk about something AMD related.

You instantly agree with everything he has to say, and it forms this AMD alliance that blockades any individual opinions.

Frankly, I get p**sed off because it's very threatening to have your opinion discredited simply because majority rules.

Josh Little Feb 05, 2005, 08:38pm EST Report Abuse
I am not a lapdog, stop saying idiotic things. That is an immature comment that you made and I DO NOT agree with everything superXP says. I think you know what your are talking about, but personally I like AMD and thats my opinion and you have yours so leave mine alone. I never said I didnt like Intel, I have a system if you look in my profile. This is the most stupid arguement that will never end, so why dont we all just stop argueing! You and SuperXP need to work out your problems and keep it out of posts that are supposed to be helpful to other people. If you think I'm immature, go ahead and think it, that is your opinion.

Oh yes, I have never talked to Micheal Hill or asked him to ban you because you are a helpful person in many topics. Yet you yell at me for no reason and acuse me of aiding them in that, it's pathetic!

My System:
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
D Harley Feb 05, 2005, 10:18pm EST Report Abuse
While I don't condone Sean's language, he certainly appears to have hit the nail on the head regarding Kenton's(if that's even his real name and/or identity) hidden agenda. It becomes quite apparent from K's later posts in this thread what his intentions are, another Intel, AMD war. It almost looks like an existing member has assumed an alter identity in order to push Intel enthuiast's buttons. This is Very immature and Sean, you should know better than to sink to that level as it undermines the respect you may have earned by mature fellow members regardless of whether they are Intel or AMD fans. Enough said

IMHO, I firmly believe in knowing the product I purchase and it's intended use. I've chosen Intel for it's specific strengths in the video/audio area and not for heavy gaming. I see no logical reason to purchase a higher priced AMD A64 3200+ or better cpu for a job performed better by the less expensive P4 3.0HT. In reverse, I would not buy a P4 3.0HT for gaming when a less expensive A64 3000+ or lesser cpu will perform better. I also do not believe in Overclocking a cpu to perform a task that a lesser priced cpu can perform stock, regardless of brand. Basically, it IS our responsibility to know the strengths and weakness' of the products we choose and how they should be utilized. It is NOT our inaliable right to impose our viewpoint on others merely with unsubstantiated opinion which is inflammatory and frustrating to those in the know.

Sean B Feb 05, 2005, 10:38pm EST Report Abuse
Okay... but you can't argue against medical science.... which means if either processor can sustain at least 30FPS, they're meant for gaming.

The differences between the two are bleeding into a moot gray.

With the transition to 90nm, Intel has finally been able to price their processors in direct competition with AMD's, because they're able to fit more cores per 300mm wafer.

Overclocking is ultimately dead on all processors except for the Celeron D.

Overall performance is negligible at best.

Voltage usage and heat production can be regulated on either and kept at acceptable levels.

So... all of the selling points of either processor are ultimately left in the dust... which means the only drive behind buying new hardware is personal preference. Scary.

Gray is a very depressing color, people. :-(

Josh Little Feb 06, 2005, 01:02am EST Report Abuse
Honestly, I don't care waht type of computer I get, I just like the thrill of opening the box and putting it together and see how it preforms

My System:
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
Carter Sudeith Feb 06, 2005, 01:37am EST Report Abuse
GG the difference is that I ADMIT I'm a gamer/young stupid/zit-head

I'm not ashamed of it.

OCGW Feb 06, 2005, 01:40am EST Report Abuse
AMD guys are the sheep?

I thought we were the "under dogs"

Geez, we are such "GEEEEKS" to argue this topic on a saturday night

Oh well, my excuse is that I have been married for 16 years lol

OCGW

PEACE

This thread has been locked by forum moderators and no further posts are allowed.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.