Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 836 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 24 - 07:47pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

What Processor do i want....... 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
Max Steiner Mar 14, 2005, 10:31pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: What Processor do i want.......
Adam J... I'll make no bones about it -- I don't like Intel too keenly, and it's a gut feeling with me, not a statistically charged position. With that said, though, your comments spurred me to do some serious investigating, and you are right... the 600 -series Pentium 4's, in Socket T/775 configs, are 64-bit, and exhibit the same 90nm architecture that AMD's Socket 939's do. It makes _sense_ that Intel would finally get around to utilizing existing architectural options, and infuse Xeon advances into a Pentium derivative (much like Opteron -> Athlon64).

There goes bragging rights, because AMD and MacMotorola had such a thing to ridicule Intel about <nagging song> "can't get 32 more... can't get 32 more... nyah nyah neh nyah nyaaahhh" </song>

Anyway... Is it just plain stubborness and pride that is keeping the "Itanic" (Itanium) project afloat? I mean, c'mon, Intel's got their grail now with a 64-bit Pentium! They don't need the cash hole anymore!

Tell you guys what... let's get this guy pointed onto a few CPU _choices_, and then we should really consider banding together to form a network of building computers for customers. I'm serious! Utilize just 64-bit CPU's... from both companies. Call us 4Cubed, Ltd., or EightSquared, Inc... and build nothing but quality, custom-like boxes for customers who want to redefine their computing, and be ready for if/when 64-bit comes out in Windows. Get this going BEFORE the likes of the name-brand b@st@rds get their bungling hands into it.

-----------------------~-------------------
Want to speed up commerce in the USA? Privatize the US Post Office, and turn it into a free-enterpise company that has to actually compete on the open market, instead of hide behind the government's skirt.
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
dan grabus Mar 14, 2005, 10:31pm EST Report Abuse
wats the difference between mobo's with nForce 2, 3, 4 chipsets....

good deal?
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-1...amp;depa=1

Richard Mar 14, 2005, 10:34pm EST Report Abuse
nForce 2 is a chipset for Socket A motherboards.

nForce 3 is a chipset for 64bit CPUs that use a AGP graphics interface, and...

...nForce 4 is for 64bit CPUs that use a PCi-X graphics interface.

dan grabus Mar 14, 2005, 10:39pm EST Report Abuse
ok so i want nForce 4 but what about ultra vs just regular nFroce 4

PCGEEK Mar 14, 2005, 10:43pm EST Report Abuse
whats your price range for a PCI-E board ?

Adam J Mar 14, 2005, 10:46pm EST Report Abuse
Ya, max. I think they dropped the Itanium, didn't they? I think they just stuck to improving on their Xeon processor. The battle is really going to come with the Dual Core stuff. Intel has a chance here to "get it right." Right now they are saying 130w consumption where AMD said theirs will be around 60-80. We will never know until we actually see it, these are just words now. But we have to remember the first "dual core" systems will be dual core on one die, which actually isn't true dual core. Intel's Presler will be 65nm and actually have dual die's. Oh well, we'll wait and see.

Antec Nine-Hundred
OCZ Modstream 450w
Gigabyte 965P-S3
2x512 DDR2-800 Corsair XMS
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83Ghz
400GB SATA2 Seagate 7200.10
Arctic Cooling Freezer
Audigy 2 ZS

Apple iMac Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 2GB Ram
dan grabus Mar 14, 2005, 10:46pm EST Report Abuse
well i want to get a good deal one for 150 range but if there was a good 200-220 i may save a paycheck

PCGEEK Mar 14, 2005, 10:53pm EST Report Abuse
So far from what I see. Abit is still king for overclocking and stability.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=262

been watching close. 100% of the people who have this board have a high overclock on it. This is my next board.

dan grabus Mar 14, 2005, 10:58pm EST Report Abuse
again is it realy going to be worth the extra $80 for Ultra?
I dont know what it is still!

PCGEEK Mar 14, 2005, 11:00pm EST Report Abuse
ultra comes with sata 300. so yes its worth it.

Adam J Mar 14, 2005, 11:00pm EST Report Abuse

Antec Nine-Hundred
OCZ Modstream 450w
Gigabyte 965P-S3
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83Ghz
Arctic Cooling Freezer
Audigy 2 ZS

Adam J Mar 14, 2005, 11:01pm EST Report Abuse

Antec Nine-Hundred
OCZ Modstream 450w
Gigabyte 965P-S3
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83Ghz
Arctic Cooling Freezer
Audigy 2 ZS

dan grabus Mar 14, 2005, 11:06pm EST Report Abuse
AH atlast my savior!

Thank you! this is exactly what i needed!

if i did go with AMD would i be abale to overclock Eventually with alittle more expirence?

Adam J Mar 14, 2005, 11:18pm EST Report Abuse
Ya, you'd be able to overclock. Make sure you get some quality ram with heatspreads that is rated higher than the slots on your board. For example, your board would take DDR400. Instead of buying DDR400 buy DDR500 or something like that. It'll clock down at stock but when you overclock it'll be much much easier and stable.

AMD:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-1...amp;depa=1

Intel:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-2...amp;depa=1

Note: The AMD systems accept DDR and the Intel accepts DDR2. They are TOTALLY different models. Do not confuse or mix them up!

Antec Nine-Hundred
OCZ Modstream 450w
Gigabyte 965P-S3
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83Ghz
Arctic Cooling Freezer
Audigy 2 ZS

Kash Mar 14, 2005, 11:27pm EST Report Abuse
I just got done building a $560 64-bit Athlon for someone w/ a 9600 Pro.

Here is a quick idea of what you could get, in AMD, for $1k:

3000+ Winchester - $160 (retail)
Foxconn nForce4 Ultra mobo w/ PCI-e - $110
1GB Mushkin pc3200 RAM (512x2) pc3200 - $120
6600GT (eVGA or MSI are good) - Roughly $180-$190
480W Thermaltake PSU w/ Active-PFC - $80
Regular Aluminum case - roughly $50 w/o a PSU...
A good case, if you want a PSU, the Antec Sonata comes with a TruePower 380W PSU, with roughly 17A on the 12v+ rail for about $100 or $105
A decent 200GB HDD from WD, Seagate, or Maxtor would be about $100-$115 (OEM)

I don't think the total there is more than about $700. That doesn't include a soundcard, if having a soundcard is a big deal, or an optical drive. You already have keyboard and mouse and if you really want, you could save $60-$100 and use your 120GB WD HDD.

This is a rough estimate because I'm not on my computer. If you want, I'll take up the trade again and give you the best price-to-performance for your cash, like I used to do.

Sincerely,
Kash

AMD AM2 3600+ Brisbane (65nm), DFI Infinity UltraII-M2, 1GB Wintec AMPO DDR2-800 @ 667, Sapphire X1950 Pro, 250GB WD SATA II, 500W Coolmax PSU, Logitech MX500, Gateway PS/2 keyboard (circa 1999)
SuPeR Xp Mar 17, 2005, 10:36am EST Report Abuse

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Daniel Gibbon Mar 19, 2005, 05:55am EST Report Abuse
yep at the moment amd is the way to go the winchester's overclock very well indeed and run surprisingly cool. The dual core cpu's is where intel well kick back hard im guessing.

AMD 3200+ 64 90nm @STOCK an proud
msi platinum neo 2 nforce 4
2gb 4x 512mb PC4000 Ballistix
sapphire x1900xt 512mb
4 x Western Digital Raptor 74GB
2 x 500gb hard drives
Koolance Exos cooling system with 265watt peltier
mx1000 laser mouse
Tagan
SuPeR Xp Mar 19, 2005, 11:51am EST Report Abuse
Intel will probably not kick back as hard as they like seeing that there Dual Core CPU's are sharing the one FSB which is not great for performance, where as AMD's Dual Core CPU's will have 3 Hyper Transport links Plus the integrated Memory Controller.

In other words, Intel's Dual Core CPU's will not perform great in gaming & in a few programs, unless games & programs designed in a multi-thread environment. Intel's 65nm Pestler is looking a lot better though. They seem to have put time & thought into that design which is good for the 2006 release. AMD's new 65nm is just around the corner also.

Good for competition. ;)

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Adam J Mar 19, 2005, 01:33pm EST Report Abuse
Ya, I'm waiting to see how the Presler is before I build a new machine. I'm also waiting for those damn VIA chipsets that support AGP and PCI-16x.

Antec Nine-Hundred
OCZ Modstream 450w
Gigabyte 965P-S3
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83Ghz
Arctic Cooling Freezer
Audigy 2 ZS

G. G. Mar 19, 2005, 02:23pm EST Report Abuse
Hey Everyone....... Thanks for keeping a straight path with the topic and in helping Dan with options. This is what I like to see in that we are here to help one another and NOT to be in a bashing mode. It shouldnt matter what one likes or wants.... only that that person is happy with his choice. Again thanks for keeping the topic at hand.

Dan, hope you are getting closer to completing your list for that rig but keep in mind on what may lie in the future for your rig, yourself, and new technologies around the corner. And too when you think you might be building the next rig again. You know..... all those "what if" things thrown in the kettle to be cooked up and finally ending up with your soup to be served. :-) Let us know what you finally end up ordering.

As for me...... my antique is doing well and I look forward in doing one of them sff one of these days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.