Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 352 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 18 - 07:07am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM Help please 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Oliver Carmichael Feb 15, 2006, 09:50pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM Help please
hey kris,

once you get that sucker up and running again, with all those changes you may find that your user accounts will be gone, software won't work etc...to counteract this go back into the system32/config directory with bartpe ubcd so that the system is not requiring the hdd to operate and with one of the file utilities rename the software sam security and defaut files to say softwarezzz or something one at a time then go into the tmp directory that you made and copy each one of them back one by one (has to be the corresponding one of course) and remove the bak extension. then reboot each time you do this evrything starts coming back yay. i even found my system file came back and was all good when i did this.....big up ya microsoft. however if you are only after your data, then copy it out and do a fresh install, once you have everything exactly how you want it, use drvimagerxp and image that c partition. if it screws up again you can just reimage it using the bartpe cd (provided you have included drvimagerxp (http://www.woundedmoon.org/UBCD/UBCD.html) and the image from your BACKUP partition. once you do that though make sure you backup your emails and bookmarks separately so you get a fresh install and then reload your emails and bookmarks - speaking from experience i thought i was smart getting drvimager xp and the bartpe ubcd from woundedmoon then after another stuff up i reimaged thinking haha i got you now you sucker but ....no recent emails and all the changes i had made to my bookmarks were gone (grrrrrrr). good luck!!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Michael C Feb 15, 2006, 09:59pm EST Report Abuse
A total format is the only way to solve ALL problems.

Oliver Carmichael Feb 15, 2006, 10:18pm EST Report Abuse
oooh i forgot to put a signature
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 inches

Kris Klein Feb 19, 2006, 11:34am EST Report Abuse
Hey thanks everyone for the assistance. Soon as I get some time off again I'll see if I can get it up put back together. I'll let you know what happens . . .

Kris

Kris Klein Feb 28, 2006, 04:00am EST Report Abuse
Okay, here's my situation now - I have my computer booted up with the UBCD4win and all my data is available on my C: hard drive. But I can't seem to connect to my home network. When I go to My Network Places, Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, Home (the name of my network) all three of my computers appear (including the one booted with the UBCD4win). When I click on the networked computers I get the access denied message. I think I don't have everything configured just right, but the interface is just different enough that I can't figure out how to configure the network.

When I try to access the problem computer on the network from either of the alternate systems, it shows up on the "View Workgroup Computers" but when you click on it you get that Microsoft Passport network blue sign on screen. I'm not sure what to do with that.

Anyone familiar with the UBCD4win interface?

I'm hoping to copy my documents etc to an external hard drive connected to one of the networked computers.

Thanks - any help is appreciated -

Kris

Oliver Carmichael Mar 03, 2006, 12:41am EST Report Abuse
sorry kris i have no idea. i do know that when i boot up with ubcd4win that it asks to start network services. did you click yes? that's as far as my knowledge goes of networking with ubcd4win as i don't have a network at home. good luck!

vikki hindle Sep 24, 2006, 08:05am EDT Report Abuse
i have this message too but have no start up disk which it asks for to restore what can i do???
i cannot get into anything on the computer to try and do anything to it all i get is a black screen

Oliver Carmichael Sep 24, 2006, 03:56pm EDT Report Abuse
hi vikki,

short of time right now, but read through the whole thread, there are instructions there as to how to get it up and running. you obviously have access to another computer so i suggest you make the ubcd4win cd that i mentioned and just follow the advice that was posted earlier.

cheers,
ollie.

Greg Bartkiw Jan 24, 2010, 03:35pm EST Report Abuse
I have been having problems with my computer booting up to the point that I have just replaced the HD with a brand new WD 160G IDE model. I startred to install Windows XP Pro and the following message came up part way thru installation after the 1st re-boot sequence "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: C:\windows\system32\config\system". This is the same message that was coming up with my 3 year old drive but this is a new drive and a fresh install of windows...in fact, windows was not even completely installed and the message was coming up! Any suggestions? I am using an Asus P4S800 motherboard...2G RAM

angryhippy Jan 25, 2010, 04:31am EST Report Abuse
When I get that warning alot is when the BIOS is corrupted or there are some bad settings with the memory or memory timings. I'd check both.

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Shanii Pierson Apr 28, 2011, 02:23am EDT Report Abuse
Josh - six years later, I have to say thank you, thank you, thank you for your post! I knew this laptop was on its last leg and bought a Macbook Pro just yesterday but haven't transferred my files over yet. And tonight it crashed! I thought I lost everything, but thanks to you and the links you posted I was able to restore the system folder without losing anything... Awesome!!!!

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.