Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 739 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 01 - 07:44pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Gigabyte board vs ECC memory.... Frustrated!! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
SexyLady Jul 29, 2005, 06:26am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Gigabyte board vs ECC memory.... Frustrated!!
Ok well looked on the QVL gigabyte sent and GUESS WHAT, the memory Kingston ValueRAM is listed as being supported and it is what every darn place advises..... Just finished writing another snotty email to gigabyte..... No i dont have to use ECC i purchased it for an extremly good price (brand new of course) Gigabyte still swear that this board runs ECC..... However will just end up selling the memory and replacing it with NON-ECC, less headaches...... BTW... the user name is a total LIE sorry Sexy=NO Lady=NO (but i am female lol)

HP nc8430 notebook, 100GB SATA HDD, Intel T7200 Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz processor, X1600 with 256MB, 2GB Memory, Vista Business, 20" Wide LCD Monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, External 30GB 2.5" IDE HDD, External 80GB 2.5" SATA HDD
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dublin_Gunner Jul 29, 2005, 06:53am EDT Report Abuse
LMAO!!!! Getiin my hopes up there for a minute!!

Its surprising as usually Gigabyte boards are great.

But yeah, to avoid the headache, I'd send the RAM back and just install some regular RAM. WOuld be interesting to find out just why it didnt work.

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
SexyLady Jul 29, 2005, 07:10am EDT Report Abuse
lol Sorry to dash your hopes on the rocks there DublinGunner .... you never know though everyones perception of sexy is different though! Since you can't load pictures anywhere here then i guess you will never know.

as per memory i bought it off a place called Trade Me, although it is brand new and never used (well tried but not used by me) then i cant return it to the place i purchased it from, guess i will just try and flog it off, the 1GB stick i should be able to as its retail value here is over $600 (its proper HP server memory) the other memory i might jsut donate to the other gigabyte dual xeon server we have as i have tried and tested it in there and it likes it :)

I still am waiting for an answer from gigabyte though as why i cant boot the machine with all the hardware that is on their Qualified vendor list.

HP nc8430 notebook, 100GB SATA HDD, Intel T7200 Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz processor, X1600 with 256MB, 2GB Memory, Vista Business, 20" Wide LCD Monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, External 30GB 2.5" IDE HDD, External 80GB 2.5" SATA HDD
Dublin_Gunner Jul 29, 2005, 07:22am EDT Report Abuse
maybe there's just something wrong with the mobo. Did you try a BIOS update?

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
SexyLady Jul 29, 2005, 07:28am EDT Report Abuse
No BIOS update has ever been made for this mainboard, the only BIOS gigabyte ever released is the Initial installed one and never an update ..... believe me it was one of the first things i looked at....

*Sighs*.... i am almost about at the tear the hair out stage, but decided bald and female dont quite mix!!

Dublin_Gunner Jul 29, 2005, 07:44am EDT Report Abuse
LMAO

I could let this conversation get very dirty at this point but I think I'll refrain...........

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
SexyLady Jul 29, 2005, 07:56am EDT Report Abuse
LMAO .... Points ^ i meant bald and female here dont mix ....... NOT errr ummm there.... shheeeshhh .....males!!!

Dublin_Gunner Jul 29, 2005, 08:17am EDT Report Abuse
LMAO

I know what you meant!!

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
SexyLady Jul 29, 2005, 08:24am EDT Report Abuse
Gigabyte got back to me again..... says they have not had this problem and they think its a one off error in other words board is ummmmm ROOTED!! and asked me to send it back to the distie.....

Maybe i didnt overlook anything tooooo obvious

See i wasn't being blond!!! Yeee Haaa

awaits patiently for dublin to bite on ^^ comment!!

Dublin_Gunner Jul 29, 2005, 08:28am EDT Report Abuse
There's nothing worng with being blonde!!! **DUBLINGUNNER SURPIRSINGLY OFFENDED****

LMAO

I had a feeling the board was scre**d alright!!

And exactly why would I bite??

I throw the lines here, 'tis up to you to bite!!!!

LOL

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
SexyLady Jul 29, 2005, 08:43am EDT Report Abuse
Files teeth to sharp points, then smiles sweetly...... now to decide WHO to bite .... gigabyte or dublin..... Hmmmm decisions decisions......

Still at least now in approx 2-3 weeks time i may have another working mainboard.... (since its not normal stock its a 3 week wait if they have to replace it).

Dublin_Gunner Jul 29, 2005, 09:11am EDT Report Abuse
Grrrr bite me baby LMAO!!!

Its a pain, but it'll be worth it when ya get the new board

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
SexyLady Jul 29, 2005, 09:23am EDT Report Abuse
Mutters, this is the second Gigabyte board i have had that was stuffed since brand new, first was a GA-8GPNXP-DUO (775) when it was First released last year.... guess me and Gigabyte don't get along so well!!!!

Next time i might just avoid gigabyte completly......

CHOMP.......

Dublin_Gunner Jul 29, 2005, 09:27am EDT Report Abuse
**OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Its odd though, 'cause Gigabyte usually make great boards, but the fact that BOTH boards you got were faulty, I'd have to say avoid them next time too.

Maybe they havent got dual xeon boards down quite right yet...

*picks up stun gun

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
SexyLady Jul 29, 2005, 09:45am EDT Report Abuse
.......Best you keep that stun-gun handy..... and its ok its not just gigabyte, with almost anything to do with computers i seem to find the faults, although i must admit it has been handy at times, got a HP notebook and was the first person in the world to inform them of an error they had with one of their services (they applied a fix to a server to fix something else but in doing so it knocked ALL the nx5000 series notebooks off being able to connect to instant support) then 3 weeks later i was also the first person to inform them about another service being stuffed.... hence it was a frustrating month but i got $1,500 worth of notebook upgrade free from them, in the end they asked me to send in my resume they thought i might make a good "Fault Finder" ..... Oh and then there was Philips LCD's .... lets just say that after a few faulty ones i ended up with two brand new ones but only paid for one.... Now lets see if gigabyte comes to the party!! Muahahahhaha

Dublin_Gunner Jul 29, 2005, 09:53am EDT Report Abuse
maybe I wont need the stun gun............

I hope you did indeed submit your resume!!!!

That is an unfortunate number of events to happen to you!! But hey, if they're gonna keep supplying you with brand new stock, keep up the good work!

You can send me that spare LCD.................

and I'll refrain from using any weaponry on you!!!

*Seeks medical advice on getting a blood transfusion

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
SexyLady Jul 29, 2005, 10:09am EDT Report Abuse
Sorry gave the LCD to a friend in need, but they appreciated it......

And yes i dont mind finding faults first if it means something gets done faster to fix them (im not one to give up easy so i tend to get things looked into rather quickly)

Oh and whats the "i will refrain from using any weaponry" Bring it on!!!!

Seriously though, your time and patience in aiding to find a solution to this fault has been appreciated :)

Dublin_Gunner Jul 29, 2005, 10:23am EDT Report Abuse
No prob,

Sorry I couldn't have been anymore help.

I'll keep the gun handy so......

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Fixer Jul 29, 2005, 04:37pm EDT Report Abuse

SexyLady Jul 29, 2005, 08:46pm EDT Report Abuse
HiYa Andy .... the M66EN1 and PCIX1 are set correctly PCI graphics card was fine with booting with NON-ECC memory, but gave the same No Signal just like all the AGP cards when booting with ECC.

I have also fiddled with the CLK_JP1/CLK_JP2 and nothing there helps either, so i have come to the conclusion (so have gigabyte) that the board is faulty and needs to be sent back..... so in about 3 weeks i may have a working machine YaY!!!!

As per your message " To enter Advanced BIOS
setting menu, press "Ctrl+F1" key on the BIOS screen." that doesnt do anything there is a heading there Advanced BIOS Features but there is nothing in that catogory that will aid anything to do with the ECC memory problem, as i have been into every corner of the BIOS trying to fix this problem.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.