Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 877 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 01 - 12:16am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / General Technology /

Emachines T6522 Desktop: is it good? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, Next >>
Shawn P Jan 07, 2006, 02:06pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Emachines T6522 Desktop: is it good?
I think I am screwed... after much research it seems that the only way to get this machine to work with nvidia cards is to use MSI's bios. When I do that I get the windows activation screen and it won't activate. I tried internet, modem, and calling the 1800 number none of which works. Looks like my copy of Windows is tied to the bios that is installed on the motherboard (thanks emachines). Now I will be selling a brand new evga 7800 gt or returning this machine so I can build my own.

Its too bad, this is a great deal but I really want it to work with the 7800 gt (most bang for the buck).

I thought I just had the same problem... reflashed with MSI bios, then windows said I needed to activate again. So I tried to and the pre-installed activation code didn't work. Thought I was screwed. Then I looked on the back of the machine and saw that the activation code on my cert of authenticity was different. Used that code and it worked like a champ.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Joseph Eberle Jan 07, 2006, 02:07pm EST Report Abuse

Joseph Eberle Jan 07, 2006, 02:11pm EST Report Abuse
Shawn,

My problem with Windows activation was that I was never able to put in a number. The internet method wouldn't activate or allow an input of the code on the back. The modem method wouldn't either. When I called the 1800 number, the T6522 itself generates a code that you read into the phone. When I did that it said it was an invalid copy of Windows. Called emachines and they said it was a bad motherboard.

ryan romba Jan 07, 2006, 02:55pm EST Report Abuse
emachines said it was a bad mobo.?

I had the problem where the internet wouldn't work so I looked on the back etc and got it to work over the phone.

However before i figured that out I called eMachines and they said I voided warranty by flashing etc and got no real help.

The real help came when i talked to a tech on the emachine site.

To activate windows:

Look on the back of the machine!

john albrich Jan 08, 2006, 04:53am EST Report Abuse
Ref Post by Joseph Eberle Jan 07, 2006, 02:07 PM

It isn't quite that straightforward. Splitting the power delivery subsystem has consequences that do need to be addressed, especially in switching power supplies. It can impact ripple control, dynamic overload response, remote sensing, power management in the cables and connnectors, and other factors. Vendors approach this differently, and just how a vendor implements this technology is increasingly important and we'll see that as the technology matures and system power requirements continue to grow.
John

Ryan Evans Jan 12, 2006, 11:02pm EST Report Abuse
New to the forum, with a problem on the T6522. (I have owned the sytem since Sept. and the problems just started) Actually two problems:
Every couple of hours, everything on the display that is normally black turns blue, most notably the text.
Also, every couple of hours the screen goes completely black as if its disconnected fom the computer and flashes the words "frequency out of range"(or something close).

These two things seem to happen indepedently from each other although they are probably a part of the same problem.
To fix this I usually can adjust the screen refresh rate from default 60 Hertz to something else and everything goes back to normal but its only temporary. I'm guessing its the IGC and not the monitor since I've switched monitors with no luck.
As stated before, the problems seem to have just started up, although I can't be sure its always been that way cause its not my main computer, so I don't use it all the time. (I have a T6520 as well, that works great!) I did start using the remote with the cable TV feature recently.
not sure what to do, except get a real graphics card. It should still be under warranty but not sure if I can prove that it is a hardware failure since it works most of the time.

Any advice is appreciated
Thanks,
Ryan

john albrich Jan 13, 2006, 09:04am EST Report Abuse
Case 1: Where you are NOT using an extension cable or adapter between your display and the mobo connector

It could be...

the motherboard connector solder-joints on the mobo
***try GENTLY jiggling/pressing on the connector while the problem is occuring***

something interfering with your display connector and the mobo connector making a good "mate" (for example, I've a USB connector that if located right under the display connector would cause a difficult fit)
***ensure the connector is FULLY seated***

the connector may not be fully seated (I have one display connector that is almost impossible to seat properly even when there is more than enough clearance...I have to REALLY work with it to get it seated all the way into the connector)
***ensure the connector is FULLY seated***

loose pin in the mobo connector itself
***visually check the connector, make sure no pins are displaced back away from full contact***

Other possible fixes/debugging tips:
***turn "spread-spectrum" operation "OFF" in the BIOS*** (don't know if this affects video directly, but running with SS "ON" can affect overall system stability/operation, especially with iffy memory or changes to memory speed/latency settings, etc.)

***turn display power-savings features OFF, or ensure they are compatible with your monitor type(s).*** (for example, with a DPMS compliant monitor, you want to use that setting, and not use the vertical sync signal as the display "off" method. Not enough info in your post to ensure this is or isn't something that is power-management related)

***if you're a tech-type, using coolant "debugging" spray, spray the graphics chips and see if symptom disappears*** (that would pretty much ID if a mobo warranty issue)..

Case 2: Where you ARE using an extension cable or adapter

It could be

the extension or the adapter
***replace adapter and/or try without the extension***

Edited 200601140210UCT to include this:
I've been informed that spread-spectrum (SS) set to "ON" may in fact be able to affect video card operations. Logically, I would assume it therefore might also be able to affect integrated video as well. However, I think T6522 ships with SS="ON", and if it does, they obviously expect it to work properly (as long as other timing-sensitive settings remain set to default values as well). Some people routinely switch SS from "ON" to "OFF" to gain a fractional increase in performance, or improve stability. (SS needs to be turned-"ON" ONLY to enable the system to meet radio emissions standards)

Predator Jan 14, 2006, 07:54pm EST Report Abuse
FSP AX500 BlueStorm is very nice.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
DFI LanParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D

New Forum: http://www.cyberitforums.com
john albrich Jan 15, 2006, 10:52am EST Report Abuse
Here is an assessment of the specifications for the FSP AX500 12V "Bluestorm" Power Supply. It is disappointing.
1) The Total Power is more likely 460Watts, not 500Watts.
2) The specified combined "Maximum" Watts limit on +3.3V and +5V rails is BELOW that of many 300Watt Power Supplies.
3) The individual "Normal" Amps specs for the +3.3V and +5V rails are well BELOW those of many 300Watt Power Supplies.

It's VERY important to note that the "NORMAL" values specified for the AX500 are substantially even lower than the "NORMAL" values of the 500Watt Aspire power supply I assessed earlier today. (See Notes) This is cause for concern in my opinion. Not just that a couple of vendors split-up data into "NORMAL" and "Maximum" like this, but the fact that in the AX500 case, the "Maximum" spec value listed is 200% of the "NORMAL" spec value. These "Maximum" values are NOT the transient maximums. They are values being used for advertising/claims.

In this table, I've combined the AX500's two +12V rails into a single value to keep things simple.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Fortron FSP AX500 12V Power Supply (note- there is no -5V rail)
Output Specifications and Limits
source=http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/fspbluestorm500w/2.html

VoltageRail +3.3V +5V +12V -12V ..+5vsb
Maximum .... 30 .... 28 .. 30 .... 0.5 .. 2.0 Amps<- These are the commonly advertised values
NORMAL .... 15 .... 14 .. 15.5 .. 0.4 .. 1.0 Amps

TF =160W max
TFT=445W max
TW=500W max*

(overcurrent protection is 80A, 48A, 40A respectively for the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V rails)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

TW=465Watts max (LIKELY "REAL" TOTAL WATTS VALUE (see * note below) )

I'll present the same 3 cases as I used in the Aspire 500W power supply assessment, and add another to demonstrate the impact of the AX500's extremely LOW TF limit using the "Normal" spec values.

USING "Maximum" SPECIFICATIONS
Case 1: (+12V) rail(s) actually limited to 23Amps in some possible configurations.
Assume that TF is maxed-out at 160W. (Note that this is 20W LESS than a number of 300W power supplies provide.) Then, that leaves only 445W-160W=285W for the +12V rail(s), which calculates to 23Amps (rounded down). Note that this 23Amp limit is much lower than the "Maximum" figure of 30Amps. In fact, it's about 75% of the "Maximum" ampacity spec'd for the +12V rail(s). It is, however, higher than the "NORMAL" spec'd value of 15Amps.

Case 2: (+3)+(+5V) rails limited to combined total of 85Watts in some possible configurations.
Now, let's assume that TFT is maxed-out at 445Watts, and that the +12V rail is maxed out at the "Maximum" value of 30Amps (360Watts). That means that only 445W-360W= 85Watts are available for the +3V and +5V rails combined. You're not going to be reliably running many modern decently configured systems with that limitation.

Case 3: (+3)+(+5) rails limited to 160Watts, 20Watts LESS than 300W power supplies, in one "NORMAL" configuration.
Let's assume that TFT is maxed-out at 445Watts, and that the +12V rail(s) is limited to the "NORMAL" value of 15Amps (180Watts). That means you have 445W-180W= 265Watts available for the +3V and +5V rails combined. HOWEVER, that exceeds the maximum permissable spec'd value of 160W. Thus, we use the maximum spec'd limit. Again, this 160W limit is 20W lower than the limit available on many sub-500W power supplies, including a number of 300W power supplies. It is 40Watts lower than the limit available on the Aspire 500W power supply.

USING the "NORMAL" spec ampacity limits to calculate the resulting "Normal" TF
Case 4: This constrains a "Normal" TF to 120Watts.
The "Normal" ampacity specs for +3.3V and +5V are 15Amps and 14Amps, respectively. That would limit the TF even further if one is evaluating a "Normal" environment. In this case, the calculated "Normal" TF=120Watts. I believe TF=120Watts would represent a minimal configured system. This is 60Watts below many 300Watt Power Supplies.

NOTES:

Ref: my other posts at

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/46889/?o=300
john albrich Jan 06, 2006, 09:53 PM

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/53754/
john albrich Jan 15, 2006, 01:20 AM

* TW is interesting. I've read oneline sources claim the AX500 provides 500W. Even the PSU name suggests this is a 500W power supply. BE CAREFUL about names. I've read SEVERAL sources that state that TW is 460Watts. I'm inclined to believe the 460W figure. Here's why. If we apply the prevailing industry stipulation that the combined power output for -12V, -5V, and +5vsb is about 20W. The -5V rail, missing in the AX500 is negligible...usually contributing about 2 of the 20Watts. So, if we add this to the SPECIFIED TFT=445Watts, we get a TW=465Watts. In addition, I looked at the Fortron Source USA website, fsusa.com, and could not find any 500W power supply. There is an FSP460 and an FSP550, however. Since Fortron vends-out their supplies, I think it's a pretty fair assessment that this is the FSP450 power supply, or some version of it. I conclude that for planning purposes, TW=460Watts.

TF=the (+3)+(+5V) power limit condition
TFT=the (+3)+(+5V)+(+12V) power limit condition
TW=the claimed TOTAL Watts power output of the PSU (if an advertised/claimed value isn't supplied, the "claimed" value is based on the name of the power supply, as most people associate numbers in PSU names with total power)

TF, TFT, and TW are labels I contrived to simplify writing out descriptions and formulae. You won't see them written as such in Power Supply Specs.
TF is derived from (+3.3V)+(+5V) == Three-Five == TF.
TFT is derived from (+3.3V)+(+5V)+(12V) == Three-Five-Twelve == TFT.
TW is derived from Total Watts == TW.

I really had to search to find the detailed specs for the FSP AX500 power supply. I think that in itself tells us something. Even if this is a high quality supply, as a potential customer, I would be frustrated (and a bit curious) by this. I obtained these data from a review, which in turn claimed the data are directly from Fortron, with the statement,"The tables of raw specifications as given by FSP Group are as follows". I believe the data are accurate.

Just some observations as to SOME of the devices that typically require +5V. Think about these when you consider the discussions about the TF limits. PCI Adapter cards, disk drives, optical drives, flash memory cards, some LED units, some EL units, and USB ports. Remember that the USB specification requires that EACH USB port can provide 0.5A. If you can't provide that, you are out of spec. and may run into problems with peripherals. So, a system with 8 USB ports, would be expected to dedicate 4Amps (20Watts) of +5V power JUST for USB.

There are some figures in this assessment where I rounded up or down to keep things simple. I used judgement to determine whether I thought the rounding SIGNIFICANTLY changed the PRACTICAL results as far as affecting purchasing decisions and configuration planning.

(edited 200601151600 to correct a typo and slightly modify one note)

john albrich Jan 15, 2006, 01:56pm EST Report Abuse
3 decent Power Supply Planning Calculators I just found about a half hour ago. Ranked best at the top to not-so-best order (my opinion)

http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/selector/

No calculator covers every situation, but these 3 were easy to use and close enough for jazz. As I've said before, I'd add 20% to any figure produced just to be conservative.

The first two calculate TOTAL WATTS (TW) which as we've seen isn't a very reliable indicator for power supplies, and the other simply points to a specific power supply the vendor makes/sells. However, these can be useful tools and provide some good insight for planning purposes.

The http://extreme.outervision.com calculator was extremely easy to use, but benefits if you know details like whether your socket 939 AMD64 3500+ CPU is a Venice or Newcastle core. It has a lot of input granularity. It provided a generic TW calculation that agrees with my own estimates. It updates the TW figure as you select each option.

I found the http://jscustompcs.com calculator to be extremely easy to use and has a lot of input granularity. It provided a generic TW calculation It also updates the TW figure as you select each option.

The http://pcpowercooling.com calculator uses far fewer inputs to provide its recommendation, yet manages to be more awkward to use. The resulting selection only occurs after you have input every frame of data. It produced a specific model power supply that was way overpowered on the +12Vrail for the system I have.

I've no personal or financial interest in any of the companies above.

john albrich Jan 15, 2006, 03:46pm EST Report Abuse
Ref post by Butch Searle-spratt Jan 02, 2006, 08:02 PM

Butch, sorry it took so long to get to this issue on CPU cycle hogs.

See the thread at

http://www.winguides.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ge...&part=

I've posted a couple items with my experience with the same CPU hogging problem. (I concluded that I strongly suspect the graphics subsystem (which includes a pretty fair number of drivers and memory management routines) is the cause of this anomoly )

troy k Jan 20, 2006, 03:09pm EST Report Abuse
Whats the average temp on everybodies cpu? Mine runs from 37 to 45 most of the time. Maybe a bit higher when encoding movies like 47. I'm using pc alert from MSI to monitor

ryan romba Jan 20, 2006, 03:41pm EST Report Abuse
That sounds about right..

mine idles right now at 50 celcius. yes 50.. im using msi's bios's instead of emachines, otherwise my video card doesnt work. However I think it is just an incorrect reading.

Butch Searle-spratt Jan 20, 2006, 05:15pm EST Report Abuse
Thanx John, better late than never as they say. lol. BTW, here's an interesting footnote. In device manager, if I disable AC97 I get about 20% of the CPU usage back. I still havn't figured out the remaining 30%. Not a major problem for me at this point though.

Does anyone know if I should try to update the drivers for AC97 and if so how would go about doing that?

Best Regards, Butch

john albrich Jan 23, 2006, 03:56pm EST Report Abuse
WARNING WARNING

MSI "PCalert4" install program DELETED entire sub-folder of applications on system disk.

I just re-installed MSI's "PCAlert4" motherboard monitoring program because I thought I had a downlevel version. I obtained the copy from MajorGeeks.com. It was the 12/02/05 version of the install executable, labeled as a 12/21/05 version, and "MSI PC Alert 4.1.1.0".

The PCalert4 uninstall process (which AUTOMATICALLY runs without warning when you start the install executable) DELETED an entire sub-folder on my system disk. The folder deleted was the folder that contained the 'install-to' folder.

It was a critical folder, containing over 30 additional sub-folders with almost 1GB of applications and data.

Fortunately, I have a backup, but this should not have happened.

troy k Jan 23, 2006, 04:53pm EST Report Abuse
Ouch. I hope you emailed msi about this. Do you think it was the version from majorgeeks only or is the program directly from MSI website the same?

Shannon Peters Jan 23, 2006, 08:18pm EST Report Abuse
Greetings from a newbie!

I purchased the T6522 a few months ago and it has been working for me pretty good..until this week. The fan on my Power Supply is making a horrendously loud whining/buzzing noise. I took it aparty and blew some dust out of it thinking that would help but the noise continues. I am reluctant to return it because a friend of mine said that Circuit City woulnd't fix it, they would just replace the whole tower. I don't really relish the thought of taking everything off this computer so instead would like to replace the power supply.

I decided to just google the T6522 and this site and forum thread was at the top of the page. I was really suprised by all that has been written about this computer. I have been fairly happy with this machine so far. I play Guild Wars non stop but recently the game lags/freezes for several minutes. It didn't used to do this so Im not totally sure if its the game or the PC's fault as I have done no tweaking or anything to the my system.

I would like to replace the Power supply ASAP but I am mindful of future upgrade of a video do I think a 450 watt would be best. After reading here that some have trouble with nVidia I will most likely go with ATI to avoid any hassles with the card working out of the box.

I was looking at some from new egg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023
or maybe,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182015

Im a complete noob about all this so I don't really understand all the tech specs and such. Any suggestions between these two?

Also a comment about the CPU usage in Task Manager. I have noticed similar spikings in usage from 2% up to 100% when watching it in task manager with no programs running at all. Not sure why or how to rectify this problem.

Anyways, thanks for reading and any help with a low cost power supply is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Shannon

Butch Searle-spratt Jan 23, 2006, 08:36pm EST Report Abuse
Welcome to the forum Shannon

Be sure to check the earlier posts here on power supplies. Somewhere around page 7 or so. There are measurements given to ensure the right fit for the T6522. This puter has a real cheap PSU so replacing it is a good upgrade.
That CPU thing is a real bugger. Not a big deal but it just plain bugs me. I have zeroed in on the on board sound (AC97) as a "partial" culprit. Shutting off the audio in device manager lowers CPU usage by 20%. It's this last 30% I have not found a reason for yet.
Also, have you upgraded Nero up to V6? It's free. Also, you should install sonicencoder for MCE. Also free. This will permit you to burn video DVD from recorded TV shows. It also works great for creating a video DVD from a DivX file to play in a standalone DVD player.

Best Regards, Butch

Shannon Peters Jan 23, 2006, 10:25pm EST Report Abuse
Thanks for the info Butch.

What exactly is Nero and what does it do?

I'll click back to page 7 to see if I can find the measurements info.

Also, by turning of the on board audio, does that affect the sounds for games and music? I am not that computer literate. LOL I can turn it on and load up some games and a few other things but thats about it. I am trying to learn more but I can become lost pretty fast in all the acronyms and jargon :) I haven't even used the TV tuner features as of yet cause I have my real TV literally 2 feet from my computer lol.

EDIT:
Butch I found the measurements way back on page 3 I think. I also saw where you were talking about buying a new power supply. Now that was a few months ago and I was wondering if you ever did purchase a new PSU and if you did what kind you got and maybe you can link me to it. And did you ever get a new video card yet? I was going to get nVidia but after reading almost all the posts here I think it would be wiser to stick with ATI since the T6522 seems built for it.

ryan romba Jan 23, 2006, 11:34pm EST Report Abuse
Shannon,

go for the Rosewil PSU, it will server you better in the long run.

I have a 6600gt it works great but you have to flash the BIOS to get it to work... I don't think you want to go through the being PC illiterate.

So go for an ATI card.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.