Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1345 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s August 08 - 06:41pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Linux /

Linux is useless! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
guru Shane Aug 20, 2005, 07:31am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Linux is useless!
"But you wanted a benefit, well better perfomance is a benefit."

I don't have any performance problems... It's the driver, not the car...

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Mr. Aveng Aug 20, 2005, 08:16am EDT Report Abuse
"Boots faster? My rig boots in 25 secconds flat, i dont need it to boot faster."

Well my Athlon was not nearly as fast as your P4, so for me it did matter.

"Performs better? What? in the sence that i wont actually be able to run any of the software/games i already own?"

I barely ever play games on my pc, so I was thinking more that applications load faster. Web browsers, IM programs etc.

"Looks better? Ive got a semi-naked Kelly Brook on my desktop, im happy with that."

Yeah, well ofcourse different people like different things. But I liked the layout better in SuSe than in XP.

"Can you honestly say its better than windows?"

Well _better_.... For my needs there and then, it was better. For a gamer, or a computer-illiterate person, Windows is better.

EDIT: Spelling
EDIT2: Not that gamers and computer-illiterates are one and the same. They're just the two groups that benefit most from using windows instead of Linux.

guru Shane Aug 20, 2005, 02:24pm EDT Report Abuse
Mr. AvenG,

lol Everything was good until the computer-illiterate part... I don't use Linux and I am far from computer-illiterate. Everything that I've learned has been Windows, for the most part, and that would be a lot. I never really gave Linux much of a chance because it sucked in user-friendliness.

Mr. Aveng Aug 20, 2005, 02:34pm EDT Report Abuse
Lol. Sorry if I offended you.
I don't use Linux nowadays either. I wasn't trying to say that whoever doesn't use Linux is computer-illiterate, but if you are computer-illiterate, Linux will probably be harder for you to use.

bossa ritchie Nov 17, 2005, 01:31pm EST Report Abuse
I am not a big Linux fan OK it makes a better server but how many people want a server for the average home user all you can really do on Linux is surf the net, you can't play the latest games and your hardware is not guarnteed to work, from a computing point of view it is better becasue you get a more indepth look at an operating system, in my experience of talking to people who like Linux I find a majority of them are just idiots who like you to think they are smart because they can use a non point and click only operating system. Sad but true.

jake Nov 17, 2005, 02:05pm EST Report Abuse
i am suprised no one mentioned the cost of the os. in terms of a large office/school/lab linux wouuld be more expensive to run because windows has more native support for hardware and software, and when something goes wrong it is usually easy to fix or restore.

Error 34:
There was no error
Xcelcius Nov 23, 2005, 05:19pm EST Report Abuse
Guys, I think what EVERYONE is forgetting here is that Linux is not about frame-pushing, boot-up performance! Its about system security, networking and ROOT - With particular reference to ROOT for instance, most desktop windows users wouldn't have ANY concept of what you are talking about or the unmeasurable benefits it has. Never mind the incomprehensible security issues that there are with windows that simply put will never be solved because the coding is diabolical.
However if you use your system for general games play, video-editing or just to show-off your "Huge Balls" with 3D mark 2005 then I can guarantee Windows will suit you and is much more appropriate - there is no debate about that.
But, if you are more interested with whats happening inside your System/OS than you are with what your doing on it, then Linux is a much better option, as this is what is what it was ultimately botched together to do.

And I have to say for all of you pussies going on about "I've tried both knoppix and suise 9.2 and I've come to the conclusion (quote me on this if you want) "windows is the greatest operating system ever invented"" you really, REALLY shouldn't be using Linux in the first place. Stick you your bot-net'ed hole of a windows box and stay there.

LINUX - XP Duel Boot.
Athlon 64 X2 4400+.
Asus A8N - SLI deluxe.
2GB Corsair PC3200
BFG GeForce 7800 GTX(Pci-Express)
2x WD Raptor 10k - Raid 0.
jake Nov 23, 2005, 06:10pm EST Report Abuse
Xcelcius, you mention that linux has better security and networking and has the root feature, but you havent defined these or said why these are so much better in linux.
also have you seen the code that makes up windows? in fact have you seen the code that makes up linux and directly compared them? i havent, i doubt you have so i think we can disregard your comment about the code.

and lastly your restricting linux to a certain class of person, why not allow everyone to try it and let them make up their own mind.

Error 34:
There was no error
arlen nelson Nov 29, 2005, 04:21am EST Report Abuse
I would have agreed with many of the above posts last year... but i was pleasently suprised with many of the dist. as of late... as with many others, i have been swept off my feet by Ubuntu... it is very useable and detected all my hardware perfectly... and this was on a wierdo toshiba notebook. I have not tired, but have also heard good things about the mandriva distro.

I will agree there is still work to be done to create create a real deskop compeditor for the redmond firm. but its coming!

I look forward to the day when computer users have choice in OSs and computing in general, over the next months i will be making a serioius effort to move away from the big M and begin using a linux distro as my primary OS; it is true i will not be able move away from MS alltogether, but i will be trying.

If we really wanted to start some controvery... i REALLY wouldl like to see what would happen if apple released a build of OSX for the PC?

(PS.. if you are reading this thread... and are tweaking computers, linux is not too hard to learn... its like saying that driving standard sucks because the clutch is too hard)

bossa ritchie Nov 29, 2005, 06:53am EST Report Abuse
When people say security you have to remember that a computer is only as secure as you make it, I was at a virus and spyware forum and there was a guy who couldn't for the life of him get rid of advanced keylogger from his system he had tried everything and it kept coming back after every scan, a simple websearch would have told him that this was put on his system by someone using it (heres a link to the product http://www.mykeylogger.com/keylogger/keylogger-features.php ) and not one of these silent installs you get or a cookie in his cache, people were telling him different cleaners to try when he would have been better rounding up people who use his computer and finding out who put it on in the first place this security lapse if you want to call it was not the fault of Windows but his own, I use Microsofts Anti-Spy, Kaspersky and windows firewall with a hardware firewall on my router and Ive had no problems at all, Microsoft and Kaspersky give Real Time protection so I get no hassles, I get constant E-Mails from my ISP that want me to download and open a file to update my account when infact its a spoof E-Mail with a virus I bin them but I bet there are loads of people who open them and let whatever it contains loose on their system.

The best ones are the ones telling me my PayPal account has problems and I need to enter my card details again and it says I need to enter my pin for security reasons, I reply to them with garbage bank details so they try to but something online and get refused and therefore annoying them a little.
P.S. I dont have a credit card or Pay[al account.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Nov 29, 2005, 07:39am EST Report Abuse
id like to do some research on Unix and Linux and probably build a new distro( ya right, if i had the programming knowledge) course this version would need a team of developers to produce with the ideas i have in mind for an OS that will Compete with Windows, in the Retail market.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
A_Pickle Nov 29, 2005, 12:38pm EST Report Abuse
What I don't get is why every geek and their mom seems to hate Microsoft. Frankly, I've seen Linux, and have no need to switch to it. My computer is stable, it's secure, and it does everything I need it to do, and it does this running an operating system that is allegedly "broken" and "bloated." Windows XP blows the ever-loving hiccups out of, literally any other operating system out there, between the availability of software and the ease of use.

To anyone with crossed fingers about an x86 PC version of Mac OS X, go for it. It's a dumb idea, but go for it. Apple has propogated this idiotic belief that Mac OS X is somehow the greatest, most user-friendly operating system to hit the face of the earth, and it really just suffers from the same problems that Windows XP does... except worse. Just try to use your hard drive to it's fullest extent -- no Mac user lets you know that once you approach 10 gigs, the computer gets minorly finicky. Get under 5 gigs, and the computer is (gasp) incredibly unstable. That's just one of the issues that faces Mac OS X. Then there's the $129 service pack fee -- that's all Tiger is, is a service pack.

Then there's Linux, with five hundred million distributions and an obnoxious user community -- I'm compelled not to switch for that reason alone. Otherwise, I'd have to say I feel that Microsoft puts out a better product, and they maintain that product in a superior fashion. For Linux technical documents, where do you go? For Windows, you go to Microsoft's website and check out stuff there. Updating is made easy via Microsoft.

denzil Dec 03, 2005, 01:38pm EST Report Abuse
I'm 50/50 with Linux. My main rig is XP pro but I installed SUSE 10 on my old rig and took it to work to use in my office (my company is poor). I've found SUSE to do everything I need it to at work and was completely astonished that it picked up all the hardware and installed a printer without a hassle. Here are the main issues I have with Linux as a whole:

1. Too many distros! All the damn talent in the community and they just can't get themselves organized.
2. Dependencies - I hate the fact programs are so tied together in Linux. Install one thing, but might screw something else up.
3. Mounting/unmounting drives - SUSE and other distros do this for you, but still a dumb design choice.
4. Lack of support for newer hardware. Hard to build a cutting edge rig and use Linux. Mostly the fault of hardware vendors not providing info, though.
5. Gnome and KDE - These are the two best desktop environments for Linux, but they run like dogs on older hardware. They've gotten better, but have a way to go yet. Win98/2k run great in a p2/p3 with 128 meg of RAM, but try running a Linux distro with KDE or Gnome.

I've just descided that since SUSE 10 runs good on my old box that I'm not going to do too much tinkering since I am defintely no Linux black belt. Here are the specs my SUSE 10 is running on:

Asus P4P-800MX MB with integrated Intel video and AC'97 sound.
Pentium 4 2.8GHz 800MHz FSB (Northwood core).
4x256 Kingston ValueRam
Seagate 80gig SATA HDD

BoT Dec 26, 2005, 01:28am EST Report Abuse
if you really want to switch to linux do your research - get the distros, install them, play around and go to the next one.
i like fedora core 2 and 4, ubuntu, asp linux and sol linux - asp and sol linux have very good networking and security capabilities and are fairly easy to implement into a windows network, specially with smb(samba).
to find the right linux distro is like finding the right shoe or pair in a huge pile.
one thing is for sure, if you are tired of the hassle of regestering your os and are worried about licensing or hesitate to update your os because you know that the key you are using must have traveled half the planet then linux is the way to go. i met people that locked their win os lic away because they were worried that somebody/ friends would copy the key. --- insane
also, you don't have to make back up copy after back up copy because the media might be scratched
linux distro are always readly avaialable online, in ubuntu's case they even send you a hardcopy if thats what you prefer
in addition linux distros have become more and more compatible with win - see linspire, fedora, ubuntu, etc
and about recovery - once again pick your distro - well - asp for exaple is actually a linux hybrid and has great recovery capabilities - matter of the fact is it is one of the hardest to destroy os's i have ever come accross - you can blow it try to get it of your hdd. it sticks like tar
p.s. if you try and can't get it off let me know i can help

btw i am one of those ppl that complains about win for the past 10y and still use it, can't wait till vista comes out, but linux is a nice alternative. i have it running on a spare to play with it
i think it could replace my win but it would be a big adjustment after 10y - you just get used to it - besides ms win has come a long way from 95 to xp and i don't think ms will shut me up with vista but it will be a (baby) step in the right direction

p.s. also keep in mind that most of the linux developers (free distro's) are not or minimally reemburst for their work unlike unix, win and commercial linux os developers.
BIG heads up to those coders - chained to their bot's in dark bat caves, restricted to caffee and red bull diet's. prop's to those callous plagued, spindle thin fingers that seemingly unexhaustable fly accross the keyboard like spider legs. and i will keep your precious eyesite in my prayers.

long live the free world
p.s. imagine an os that you have to repurchase every year in order to keep it active and maybe you have to buy updates and if you don't you will be locked out of your own system.
imagine your os asks you for credit card or bank account numbers on boot up
asta la VISTA baby

check it out
http://pcworld.about.com/news/Sep152005id122568.htm

You can either be part of the problem or be part of the solution.
Codisha - http://www.codisha.com
Reviews - http://www.codisha.com/reviews/reviews.htm
Dr. Peaceful Jan 02, 2006, 02:23am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Linux is NOT useless!
Denzil, as for your comments 3 and 5:
For #3, I think mounting / unmounting drives is a great feature. It gives the choice of whether I want the drive/volume/partition to be seen or not, hence adds security. It gives choices of formats to mount the drive in, e.g. you can mount FAT32 in DOS (short filename format) or regular long filename format. But it is a hazzle for something like a simple floppy disk to be mounted or unmounted. Windows do not have the mounting feature, it sees and shows all partitions/drives it's capable of seeing regardness you want it or not.

For # 5, I am running Gnome now in my PIII, runs obviously faster than my Win98SE and Win2k boots. I do have more than 400MB of memory, though. I rarely use KDE, but it runs faster than Windows, too. I don't know why you say they are slower perhaps insufficient ram and/or swap size.

-----
Good points, bot, from your post. I ran these distros (flavors) RedHat, Mandrake, and SuSE. My flavorite is RedHat, it's fast, stable, classic Linux environment, and the best Gnome GUI ever. Next like is Mandrake, which dumbs down Linux a bit but still maintain the Linux traditional environment and provide a decent Gnome GUI. I don't really like SuSE, mainly because it alters the traditional Linux file structure and place too much emphasis in KDE instead of Gnome. It places all the drive folders into / directory instead of the /mnt directory, making the / directory look cluttered and harder to find default Linux folders. SuSE also tried too hard to make thing simple for user, where it's not necessary, such as mounting all the drives and limiting access to root account. I haven't try other distros yet -- will do in the future, but I am very satisfy with RedHat right now. I saw Linspire in a local store, it looks a very dumb down Linux with a pretty face (Mac OSX like GUI), don't know if it's good.

In case someone don't know, Linux multiple boots very well, you can install multiple distros together in the same drive. Just make sure you manage the partitions right (multiple partitions for each distro is usually required), choose and edit your favorite boot loader (from one distro) to be in the MBR, and have the main loader call up the other boot loaders. Done.

-----
As for this thread. I think it's enough for whole arguement of Windows vs. Linux and/or Mac. Just tried everything, if you have a chance. No need to take sides. Windows is good as the most popular OS with the most software/hardware compatibility. Linux / Unix is good as it's free (mostly), open source, great for networking, and maintaining the basics of comp-sci. Mac is good, well, as it's Unix in its heart :-), plus unique hardware designs. That's it.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jan 02, 2006, 02:41am EST Report Abuse
linux is a toy, Unix is a Standard now, not an OS anymore

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
Kimon Jan 02, 2006, 03:47am EST Report Abuse
The only reason that Linux is faster is becuase there is no other programmes to install onto it. With windows you've got so many things to muck up your registry and all those nastey web browser add ons EEKK.

BoT Jan 02, 2006, 03:55am EST Report Abuse
i think it's rather because that linux does not have a registry. the registry in windows, in my opinion, is the true flaw in the system and microsoft has not focused even closly enough on these flaws. no changes here for vista either.

You can either be part of the problem or be part of the solution.
Codisha - http://www.codisha.com
Reviews - http://www.codisha.com/reviews/reviews.htm
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jan 02, 2006, 08:37am EST Report Abuse
flaw with windows- background "services" introduced when Windows NT came out, been like that since Windows 2000 and Windows XP- no one needs all those background services. plus some are system threats.

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
Jan 02, 2006, 11:23am EST Report Abuse
The registry is a real nightmare, unfortunately they are stuck it with it, even with Vista, because to eliminate it would all but destroy backwards compatibility with many many programs. It is possible that M$ will eventually write some sort of registry emulation.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.