Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1402 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 02 - 09:56am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Linux /

Linux Emulators for Windows graphics. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
Mort1616 Oct 01, 2005, 07:23pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Linux Emulators for Windows graphics.
Would a games version of windows be massily different from a developers point of view. Just cutting all the fancy bits off the edge of windows would speed up some games. Also when XP first came out I found that Win98 played most games better than XP because less hardware was been used by the OS, that was due to only having 96Mb of memory at the time, but still, the smaller and more focused the better. So I don't necesarily think you'd have to port it to another style. Mabee some optimisation, but thats all.

But back to your point of money, if it was economically viable, microsoft would have quite happily cashed in on it by now. Unless they're getting a kickback from hardware developers so people have to rely on new hardware for a performance boost, cos lets face it, you wouldn't upgrade as often if things were running fast from the off, and the hardware developers wouldn't make as much cash.

I'm a mawg. Half man. Half dog.

Hey, I'm my own best friend.

Rig spec in profile.
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
jake Oct 01, 2005, 07:50pm EDT Report Abuse
you do make some good points, and i am always on the look out for a small memory footprint in windows xp.
thing is when you first install windows (with sp2) its memory footprint with nothing manually disabled can be as small as 130MB which is good, even for standard systems with 512mb of ram. the problem comes when the os has been in use for a long period of time and i would beleive that would happen with other systems if they where mainstream. Win98 as you said was better for games due to its smaller memory footprint, but if you look at the extra's installed in windows xp (like security) then i think you'll agree that moving back to win98 is not a vaible option.
what really annoys me is the constant need for memory hogs like firewalls, anti virsus' anti spam, anti spy/adware and when you have them all running in the background at the same time your games will suffer, so i would agree that we need a new os, but not one for games and one for everything else. For me at least linux is out fo the question because of the emulation and the fact that its not as easy to setup.
personally i would want a standard system that many different companies can contribute to and create a bit of comercial competition. this would then drive inovation into the os market and we may end up with a system like linux in that there are many different distro~s and they can all run the same code, but at same time would be easy to use and maintain and ideally wouldnt install software with out permission.

ah one other thing, microsoft is now cashing in on the gaming world with a new logo they've got for windows vista. basicly its a designed for windows type of logo to go on the front of games, so microsoft have woken up to the fact that a lot fo people do use the pc for gaming, so we can always hope that they've done some good with windows vista

Error 34:
There was no error
zkillz Oct 01, 2005, 08:08pm EDT Report Abuse
excuse my being on topic but i used Fedora core 4 for a while. i was a total newb and just wanted to use it to dabble in some programming and grapphing calculator stuff. i decided that would try to play some hl but it was a real hassle and i was kinda lazy. to make a long story short i swiched back to my illegal xp after a month.

anyway therre is a large linux gamining community. wine and wineX(or Cedega or whatever) are actually decent and if you image google Half-Life one of the results is a screenshot of Half life running windowed in linux

http://roderick.student.utwente.nl/hl2.png (note that its steam running under wine and the person is in ravenholm meaning they have been playing awhile)

so in conclusion go check wine out its got an enormous community or maybe even google half life 2 linux

if all else fails dual boot and i could direct you to a illigal version if you would like

Edit: i was never able to play HL2 cause of my specs

1x512 Micron DDR333
Apollo Geforce 6800 128MB DDR AGP
20Gb WD IDE / 80Gb WD SATA
SAVE THE INTERNET!!(savetheinternet.com)
Mort1616 Oct 01, 2005, 08:10pm EDT Report Abuse
We can hope. In the same way that a 6yr old girl can hope for a pony. It'll no doubt do some good, but only just enough to make us buy thier new product.

I do appreciate Windows, it is good. Very user friendly. I just don't trust microsoft. Has anyone ever clicked on "always trust microsoft corporation" when installing any of thier web software / updates? I know I haven't.

One thing you could do to improve performance is use a linux machine as a firewall to your XP machine. Very few people write viruses for linux and thier firewall version of the OS is very powerful. As it would be dedicated to the job of protecting your main machine it doesn't have to be that powerful, and therefore wouldn't cost the earth. This way you could get away with having less background programmes eating away at your memory. A lot of trouble to go to I know, but it would give you a more secure and efficient system.

I'm a mawg. Half man. Half dog.

Hey, I'm my own best friend.

Rig spec in profile.
jake Oct 02, 2005, 04:02am EDT Report Abuse
looking at the picture of half life 2 running on linux, i would like to know the system specs of the machine that running it because he's only getting 20fps and it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the direct 3d version running on windows.
sure i wouldn't trust microsoft with anything worthwhile either, in terms of running a separate linux machine to act as a firewall most people wouldnt know how to do that and a lot of people are looking in wireless routers which come with firewalls and usually run embedded linux, so in most cases a seperate machine would be a waste of resources.
but saying all this i have am typing this on my laptop which is running mandriva linux and yes it does have some good features, but my built in 3-in-1 card reader isnt supported so for that reason alone i have to dual boot with windows...
when it comes to gaming i use my main desktop machine which runs windows

Error 34:
There was no error
.:Mindful:. Oct 02, 2005, 08:58am EDT Report Abuse
>> Linux Emulators for Windows graphics.
May I please have your freaking attention.

Jake: You know drivers, that you need on Windows, Linux doesn't need it!
Your comment "Linux has virtually no hardware support at all!"???

Linux is an almost virus-free, OS that uses minimal random access ram. Designed specically so people could program, work, hack, and do whatever else they freaking please. If you have you ever booted Knoppix, do you ever get 480x640 on a new computer because it doesn't know the hardware. Now on XP, 9 times out of 10 it does. If not, it freaking asks "Do you want to install drivers?" like you're some idiot. Now 10 times out of 10 a smart person would have said yes. Knoppix or any other Linux live CD goes right ahead, loading all the drivers from the bootup CD. Windows is the one with virtually no hardware support at all.

So everbody, answer this for me. If anybody that was a computer whiz, would they want someone to program for a company that hogs their CPU, RAM, and computer in general with over 100,000 viruses that can infect it. Or would want to program for a open-source company with barely any viruses, no hardware CDs that you are required to install, and uses barely any of your CPU or RAM. For me this is a no-brainer.

DirectX is just Microsoft's idea of destroying other companies, but if we have to pay $100 for their software that will end up being loaded with viruses, why not just settle for something more useful. With Linux's strong protection and easy-use if using correct distro, its like a freaking dream come true.

I personally, will end up using Debian and Win2000 dual boot because the current situation. But I hope Bill Gates will close his company down and keep his freaking money. Thats where its gonna stay, atleast.

zkillz Oct 02, 2005, 02:20pm EDT Report Abuse
Amen.

you might still might want to give wine a try because it obviously works

ps. yea jake no hardware support! linux has so many drivers it recognizes what kind of monitor you have and installs a driver for that. you must have quite the outdated version of lnux. backitup and reinstall with something like fedora core 4 or debian 3.1 that just came out which is what i hope csowned is gonna use

1x512 Micron DDR333
.:Mindful:. Oct 02, 2005, 03:20pm EDT Report Abuse
Thanks Zealous.

Yo, if you got any insides on the distros, please inform me.

.:Mindful:. Oct 02, 2005, 03:20pm EDT Report Abuse
Jake: I hope you listen to what I said. It will do you some good.

jake Oct 02, 2005, 04:26pm EDT Report Abuse
CS_0wn3d, what i ment was that out of the box linux does not have a gui that is rendered in hardware, i'm running mandriva 2006 on my laptop and i was required to install ati drivers for the graphics card.
also you've made it very clear that you hate microsoft, why excatly is that? windows is targeted by virus's because its in wide spread distrobution, what would be the point in targeting a virus at linux except to say that it can be done? think about it, if linux was more mainstream then there would be more virus' and adware targetted at it.
also i like the fact that windows comes with little drivers built into the system, it would mean that there is no code in the system which is not being used and manufactuers can make optimised drivers
also when it comes to the average user (which is who i was mainly taling about), they will not want to recompile the core kernel everytime they want to add a new feature to the os.
personally the main open source program i use is open office because its free and is very good for reports, i also like the KDE desktop which imho is much better than windows explorer.

personally if i was in a programming job i would want to develope for the most widely used platform out there as to ensure the program gets sold in the largest market, which in todays world is windows, you did say you dual boot into windows 2000, if your such a computing genuis then you really wouldnt need windows at all and would have a fully functioning linux installation which supports all your hardware and software needs, the fact is linux obviously does not do this for you so you need to boot into windows 2000 once in a while. If you ask me dual booting operating systems is a waste of time you may as well have one system that does everything you could need and save time on the reboots.

Error 34:
There was no error
zkillz Oct 03, 2005, 11:30am EDT Report Abuse
csowned youre welcome. as far as distros go im not real into it any more though im gonna start again. i will say though i really liked fedora core because it had tons of drivers, it used rpms (btw jake rpms dont even require reboot let alone recompile) and i really like gnome desktop not only because its pretty intuitive and the calculator programs thet i use run in gtk+. so if you have any experience with Fedora linux you might want to try that. i got the brand new "sarge" debian but it had some irq adress issues with my motherboard

and people are anti windows because when you release an opperating system you shouldn't basically release the same os more than once and have people have to download updates and have to restart.

and the reason dual boot is usually because they play games i switched back partly because i had this usb wireless thing and linux recognized it but as a usb not a networking i was conufused. anyway im going go ahead and dual boot fedora and xp and try and get internet.

and regrding jakes comment about windows being benifited by few drivers it hinders it because they install pulg and play drivers that are completely useless when it could just ask you to install your own driver istead of thinking that it knows what its doing... then again there are lots of n00bs in teh world
have fun

1x512 Micron DDR333
.:Mindful:. Oct 03, 2005, 04:47pm EDT Report Abuse
Yo Jake:

Before you start dissing me about my Windows 2000 habit, I think I made it freaking clear that I was using it for gaming, not other things. And also, I'm no guru programmer or nothing. My father runs a computer shop and I was addicted by Linux right off, noticing all the Windows problems. If you knew all the problems I have seen with Windows, you would hate it too. I'm only 12 and I work for my dad so I can get computers for wholesale prices and because it is a passion. I plan on becoming a guru programmer and guru animator. So please, cut me some slack, I was only pointing out your stupid errors, which shows there are many chinks in your chain.

zkillz Oct 04, 2005, 02:41am EDT Report Abuse
bravo i cant beleive you were arguing with a 12 year old i wish i had started linux at 12. man thats awesome. youre gonna be agenius when you grow up...

damn im only 17 but still damn 12yo
ps: no offense or anything i respect you cs owned

1x512 Micron DDR333
jake Oct 04, 2005, 12:32pm EDT Report Abuse
well i had no idea how old he was, perhaps when he gets older and starts using the pc for more productive stuff he may see that windows is good for a lot of things, for example all the good CAD programs (from orcad to solidworks) run on windows.
i would be interested to know what programs he runs on linux and why its better for those programs than windows is.

Error 34:
There was no error
Oct 04, 2005, 12:41pm EDT Report Abuse
I *think* there is a version of VMware for Linux, which (obviously) will not run the programs natively.

.:Mindful:. Oct 04, 2005, 07:23pm EDT Report Abuse
First off, isn't CAD software used for creating virtual buildings for a foresight on the building production? Well anyway, wouldn't it be smart to program for the larger environment anyway. If you program in C or C#, you pretty much created a Windows and Unix program, it just depends what you compile it with. Why not program everything in C# now anyway, considering it is probably the best so far. Then compile it in Windows & Unix. Then everybody is happy besides Bill Gates, because he is a selfish idiot.

Programs I use in Linux: KDevelop (C & C#)
Any compiler in OS
Konsole (duh)

That is pretty much it, besides Internet and other crap.

Anyways, what does it interest you?

Best Regards to you Jake, because you are one STUPID programmer,
Miles AKA CS_0wn3d

.:Mindful:. Oct 04, 2005, 07:58pm EDT Report Abuse
Jake: Sorry, I forgot to explain to you why these programs are better in Linux because you're STUPID enough not to figure it out. I have no problems with the programs that are compiled for Windows. I just have problems with Bill Gates and Windows in general. Some people program genious stuff with Windows, I got no problem with that, but it would be nice if they would program for the larger, safer, and sturdier environment, which is Unix. So please, don't get it in your head that I hate people who program in Windows, because I don't. I just hate Windows.

Best Regards,
Miles

mattyboy Oct 04, 2005, 11:43pm EDT Report Abuse
Man how embarassing, arguing with a bunch of spoiled pre-teens. Jake I feel for you bud, thats the internet for you though. Alls good.

ASUS A8N SLI Premium
3700+ (San Diego)
2 x 74GB Raptors in RAID 0
BFG 7800GTX :)
2 x 1gb modules of OCZ Platinum
SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme Music
OCZ Modstream 520W PSU
BenQ 1620 DVD-RW
BenQ 1610 DVD-RW
LG 4163 DVD-RW
LG 4167 DVD-RW

jake Oct 05, 2005, 01:02am EDT Report Abuse
did you really need 2 posts to call me stupid?
anyway i'm not a programmer, i'm a user. i've done some programming in the past but not enough to warrent being called a programmer.
CAD stands for computer aided design and is used for all sorts of design work, not just buildings.
i dont mind informing you on this due to your lack of experiance not your stupidity.
when it comes to coding in C linux and windows have different libraries, so when it comes to coding for both windows and linux you'll have to generate different headers which wrap around the different function calls.

i dont think you can call bill gates an idiot, he created a system which unified the computing market and allowed standard software to run on most computer hardware at the time. it used to be a case of buying ibm compatable computer hardware before bill gates came along, now it dosnt really matter what you buy so long as it runs a micosoft operating system (oh sorry i mean microsoft, or apple or unix ;))

thats all i really have to say on the matter because it time to get on with actual work which i assume a 12 year old would know nothing about.

Error 34:
There was no error
zkillz Oct 05, 2005, 01:22am EDT Report Abuse
hey yos no flamin in here i dont thing thats how this place rolls. i do understand taht CS has benn through alot with windows but lets be nice no onne is stupid. stupid is the 95% people that arent us and have hard enough time pressing the power key let alone boot ing thats why i thing the forum should end with the real reason windows was inveted(or stollen from apple--- your choice)

Ahem
there are a million people that are retarded infanately more stopid than jake over here. bill gates was above-average intelligence so he realized that if he did a shoddy job of making some software that was infantessimally simple he could make tons of money because the market for stupid people is bigger than the market of people tha could really use intelligently made software. in the mid 90's the software became less stable because of the internet, tech support jobs grew and the economy flourished --- now whats wrong with that...
Amen

and if you dont agree with me i dont care i just made that up

1x512 Micron DDR333

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.