Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 900 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 07 - 07:45pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

Best game ever? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
Dublin_Gunner Aug 29, 2005, 06:51am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Best game ever?
For all out fun, I think Super MArio World on the SNES was great, took an eternity to get through all the levels, plus the different avenues you could explore. So simple, but effective.

But for the best games of all time, (I cant believe it hasnt been mentioned), especially in the strategy genre, without which we wouldnt have had the C&C games (which are also fantastic),

Civilisation.

So innovative, so much fun, every game is different. And can be quite taxing and annoying at times.
Sid Meier is a genius.

Others that should be included:

Elite - The ultimate space strategy, and the premise gives rise to all MMORPG's

X-Wing & Tie fighter - Two of the best space shooters ever coded. Has anyone ever played more difficult games?????? Great games, great music & effects. Really brought you into your role.

Platoon (C64) - another great game, which changed from side scroller to platform to FPS. V difficult also.

C&C, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun - Great strategy games, hours of enjoyment, totally re-playable

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dublin_Gunner Aug 29, 2005, 06:52am EDT Report Abuse
Sorry, double post!!

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
RSA . Aug 29, 2005, 08:22am EDT Report Abuse

X2 4200
ADM690
667 1gb
Alteclansing MX5021
Sb live 24bit 7.1
lite on dvd rw
lite on cd rw
PSU 500w
Dublin_Gunner Aug 29, 2005, 08:34am EDT Report Abuse
WTF???

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
AlanOne Aug 29, 2005, 12:44pm EDT Report Abuse
As much of a PC gamer I am today, I must admit I spent more hours playing Zelda:Ocarina of Time than any other game. However I think the Greatest game ever made was 007: Goldeneye. 'Nuff said ;)

XP Pro SP3
Intel Core 2 Quad q6600 (stock)
MSI 680i mobo w/onboard X-fi
9800 GTX+
2GB Patriot 8500 5-5-5-15
1X Western Digital 500 GB HD SATAII
2X Western Digital 250 GB HD SATAII
CoolerMaster Stacker 830
Sean Costello Aug 29, 2005, 12:50pm EDT Report Abuse
I mean 7/8/9 as in 7 through 9, sorry for the confusion

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
Dev Johnston Aug 31, 2005, 03:29pm EDT Report Abuse
Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark are my favorites. Back when the 64 was intense goldeneye would be in my console for more than 75% of the time i owned it. and perfect dark is awesome because of the bots and the rankings.

B Aug 31, 2005, 05:03pm EDT Report Abuse
My favourite game of all time is Starcraft. I used to play that game like crazy! It was so much fun and addictive. I played countless hours of starcraft in 1999. Pwning noobs never felt better!

Pirate Aug 31, 2005, 07:31pm EDT Report Abuse
Counter Strike has got to be the most addictive game ever. I started back in 1.4 and it was so much fun! When they switched to 1.6 I wass p**sed, the whole Steams**t and stuff.... Source is ok I guess.

Sean Costello Aug 31, 2005, 08:07pm EDT Report Abuse
i have devoted, what most of you may think is sad, over 400 hours of my life into games made by Squaresoft 350ish of which where final fantasy games (before the merge with enix)

______
guru Shane Aug 31, 2005, 08:27pm EDT Report Abuse
lol I've spent well over 1000 hours on Final Fantasy Tactics. Think about the total hours when combined with FF III, VII, or X... LOL

Sean Costello Aug 31, 2005, 08:33pm EDT Report Abuse
yeah with final fantasy tactics advance i spent about 200 hours, fun as hell.
but with everything else.....wow i cant imagine all the hours ive spent on all the games put together like 90000 hours lol, halo 1 alone i have about 300+ hours

______
EFileTahi-A Sep 03, 2005, 03:20am EDT Report Abuse
I have to mention them by hardware category and time:

Spectrum: Rebelstar
Amiga: There are so many games I enjoyed here, really hard to tell...
PSX: Resident Evil
PC: Fallout 2, Gothic 2 and Alien vs Predator 2. <- These are the games I played most, thus, the ones I love most.

As for the best game EVER, I guess I have two, Fallout 2 and Gothic 2.

PS: It is amazing how Gothic 2, a game from 2002, still have in present today GREAT graphics!

Intel Quad 9550 2.8GHZ;
ATI4890 1GB
4GB DDR2 1333Mhz
9.6TB (Several HDs)
CM830 Stacker Case
24'' Samsung Screen
19'' LG Screen
720W CoolerMaster PSU
J H Sep 07, 2005, 05:00pm EDT Report Abuse
Im bored i guess ill post hear =). Mort, about what you said previous post. Your right i did put a rather poor reply/post up about WOW, what you said was little insulting though. I honestly didnt have time to delve deep into explaining why i liked WOW. WOW stands alone by itself, it doesnt need explaining. I definatly wasnt dissing Final fantasy in any way shape or form. Anyhoo.

Why i think Wow is the best game out rite now!

Any game that is not online for me nowadays i wont put more then 10hrs into cause i get bored of them. Ive played way to many FPS, RPG, and strategie games that not playing with other players just makes me bored, I have better stuff to do now. WOW is totaly online, it has more people playing then everquest 2 and any other MMORPG today in this country.

WOW is very much a fixed game, not like SWG was and maybe is today. And very much balanced not like some MMORPG where you can just do the rite skills and own everyone. There are some small inbalances etc, but every class is good against a particular class and has a very specific role to play in the game when grouped etc.

WOW has a huge universe, not as big as SWG but still big. Every area is very much different then the next area. Example: Elves areas look like what elves should live in, big trees, weird looking houses, Tree ent looking like things etc. Undead areas, its all dead and gloom. Dwarfs area is up in the mountains. Gnomb area is all about tech, machines, explosives, guns etc. So on and so forth.

WOW game play, professions, and classes are all unique. Rouges stealth then stab you in the back and stun you. Warriors are the middle class, they generate rage not mana for there powers, the more swings they do the more rage they get to use on you. But they also can charge to you if you kite them. Mages can turn you into a chicken, freeze you and then put your pants on fire. Warlocks get pets, do alot of dps magic and make you run around uncontrollably.

WOW is very very unique from all other cookie cutting rpgs or MMORPG. Ive been playing off and on since launch, this game has lasted the longest for me then any other game besides Age of empires 2.

This game is a very finely tooned machine, blizzard always produces a great game. Thats why so many people play this game. For MMorpgs i would have to say in my opinion that is the best by far. The articles and ratings also say this. Its always an opinion of what you like etc, and i totaly respect that, tis america /cheer!

Also This game has about the least dupes/bots and all the best items in the game are Bind on pick up, wich means you cant trade or sell them to anyone but the NPC for gold. Theres also an Auction house for all the basic and great stuff for everyone to buy and trade.

This is entirely my opinion besides the # of people playing this game, i looked it up. Also i got a D in all my English classes in college so please excuse my typos and horrible Grammer etc. Please read and enjoy or not enjoy, hope it wasnt to long, i was getting bored myself.

About my spelling, If you say anything about it im gonna hunt your nerdy english aniel retentive arrrssse down and beat the elcrapo right out of you!!!!
I came to this planet to chew bubblegum and kick ass! And I am all out of gum!
Mort1616 Sep 08, 2005, 10:33am EDT Report Abuse

I'm a mawg. Half man. Half dog.

Hey, I'm my own best friend.

Rig spec in profile.
J H Sep 08, 2005, 02:45pm EDT Report Abuse
Yes, WOW has a monthly fee =(. Ive found though that most games that you pay per month are far more reliable and i seem to get Real ping and low to boot. Real ping as meaning what it says is usualy what you get, i play on alot of Gamespy and somegames if im getting 80 ping im morelikely getting like 200. I think you can play free on a special server for WOW threw special servers, nudge nudge.

I hear Guild war is decent and is totaly free to play and is similar to WOW, it however did not get as good as reviews as Wow, think 1-2 notches less then Wow, out of 10. I hear its realy awsome in pvp but lacks in npc/lvling fun factor.

2 other monthly paying games i enjoyed were, Star wars galaxies and planetside. Planetside however isnt what it used to be in # of player wise, thats one of the things that made the game great, huge battles. Stay away from Lineage2 its horrible plus to much farming/Bots etc. There was a big article about People in eastern countrys earning up to 700k real money off a room full of very low wage people botting and farming all day long. I hate cheaters.

About my spelling, If you say anything about it im gonna hunt your nerdy english aniel retentive arrrssse down and beat the elcrapo right out of you!!!!
I came to this planet to chew bubblegum and kick ass! And I am all out of gum!
Totally Killer Sep 08, 2005, 05:35pm EDT Report Abuse
super mario 64 and mario cart 64, and the music in both of them is so awesome!
but i also like starcraft, which gets my vote for best strategy game of all time(replayability and balance)

Adam Kolak Sep 08, 2005, 05:55pm EDT Report Abuse
My favorite games on the following platforms right now, (my opinions could change in an hour, lol):

PC: BF2 - dont have the full game yet, but the demo is *still* kicka$$ believe it or not.
PS2: Gran Turismo 4 - almost 80% done, i own about 150 cars in my garage
N64: Goldeneye - never owned N64 but i use to play it 4 player at other peoples house when i was little
Xbox: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - yeah its better on pc, but i put it here to give it some credit, sorry Halo!
SNES: Super Mario World - cant beat riding on Yoshi's (the dino not the mad modder, you nerds) back

There are some other ones, but these are the ones im thinking of right now.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
4Qman Sep 08, 2005, 06:11pm EDT Report Abuse
I 2nd Water drops choice's. Its jusy what i would of picked. Mybe mario cart along side
mario but they both rock imo.

Gerritt Sep 08, 2005, 11:27pm EDT Report Abuse
Politically:
GTA San Andreas
Online play:
Evercrack
SWG with Wookie expansion.
Ultima Online.
Papyrus/Sierra NASCAR 2003, kicks EA's branded crap by far!
Local Play:
Infocomm Games.
Need for Speed Underground 2
Ultima I,II & III.

I have to say that I've never played GTA, though the reviews have been good for the entire series. When the US government tries to F with what we play though, it must be good.
Everquest...Evercrack...nuff said.
SWG with space expansion and mining: Even when you get tired of running around, you now have the option of playing a different game environment, or a totally different game.
UO, is one the first of the MMPORGs, I spent a lot of time here, but got tired of the PvP Ubers.
Papyrus NASCAR 2003. One of the best driving sims out there. The physics engine is great, and online play is good, doesn't require that you spend you're life playing it.
The Infocomm games go WAY back, ZORK, ENCHANTER, etc...NO GRAPHICS whatsoever! IF you don't know how to type, or have to use pictures for enjoyment, you'll probably not like them.
NFS/UG2: Fun driver, open map, some physics.
Ultima: for anyone that played it, I don't think I need to explain, for those that didn't, I don't think I can.

My favorite PS2 Game is God of War.
My favorite SEGA Genisis Game is Mortal Combat.
Go figure.

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.