Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 368 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 04:24am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

Nintendo Revolution Controller revealed 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Sep 17, 2005, 04:48am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Nintendo Revolution Controller revealed
nintendo will probably scrap the design for something more game control like, not tv remote like

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Gamerz Sep 17, 2005, 04:55am EDT Report Abuse
You never know - I would expect something like a current Xbox/PS2 game pad and then something like that controller as an optional extra for classic games.

Gamerz
SombaSan Sep 17, 2005, 11:58pm EDT Report Abuse
i think they made 2 controllers or they were just smokin weed.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM
"The Best Intel Chip is an AMD"
Peter West Sep 18, 2005, 01:15am EDT Report Abuse
It's an interesting concept and certainly very cool for very specific types of gameplay. But for any of the traditional games we play today it will do nothing other than frustrate and tire. Take the meat and two veg of the industry, FPS. OK so consoles are already at a loss against the PC with thumb sticks vs mouse and keyboard. Now with this brick I have to actually point it like a gun, while thumbing the Dpad to move and push buttons to fire. All with one hand.

Now take a combat game like Soul Caliber. I could see it getting quite cool to be able to swing the controler like a sword, if it actually could work like that.

But for the most part this controller is just a stupid POS.

All I want is whatever the desingers were smoking when they thought this up.

Best Regards,
Pete.

DFI LanParty 925XT2 (RIP)
Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Pro
3.4Ghz P4
2 Gig Corsair XMS
BFG 7800GT OC. (500/1202)
SombaSan Sep 18, 2005, 03:06am EDT Report Abuse
let me clarify my statement i think they made 2 controllers, one reagular one like the one we would see in lets say Playstaion and that one in the picture. the one they made while smoking weed.

DeafGuy C. Sep 18, 2005, 04:06am EDT Report Abuse
Guys what's with you? I think it look very cool and from what i read, I think it makes sense on why they are calling their Nintedno "revolution". There is two controllers, one is remote control look like and another is anag. stick. Read here http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651224p1.html and http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651559p1.html . Jesus, seriously you guys gotta stop making judgement just based on the single screen shot which I'm sure most of you did only. Now read the links provided above and you will understand why they called their next console "Revolution". And no, it isn't the final design.

John Doe Sep 18, 2005, 05:32am EDT Report Abuse
Well said Deafguy! Finally someone with some sense in this thread!

Firstly everyone has different tastes, and thats understandable, i personally like the look of it, but apart from looks its functionality that counts. Whoever it was that said they were expecting something amazing and groundbreaking, are you suggesting that gyroscopic controls is not? I mean come on!

Someone said they dont understand how a FPS is gonna be played on it....you're joking right? Its made for that! Hold the analog stick in your right hand with the trigger button, which is attached to the actual remote control part (held in your left hand), point it at the screen like a gun....and hey presto you have a gun! Where you can control movement of the character (analog stick) and with the motions of moving the imaginary gun you are aiming on screen. How is that not fantastic and revolutionary?!!

I am not a nintendo fan, i do not like any of their games, i bought a gamecube solely for resident evil, but if nintendo can get real third party support with this, the potential is huge, think about it.

Im not sure if there are add-ons to the controller that allow two controllers with gyroscopic abilities but imagine a boxing game where you hold a controller in each hand, and actually punch in order control the punching of the boxer on screen, how cool would that be? Or a tennis game where you have to swing the controller to hit the ball? Think about it, this has massive potential to be amazing.

However, they could also seriously mess it up, so im not saying its a foregone conclusion or anything! A lot of thought would need to go into the controlling of games so that character movement etc isnt hindered in anyway, and games may become too gimicky, solely focussing on the gyroscopic controls which could be bad. I mean i would want to use it, but not at the expense of gameplay.

Anyway just my thoughts on it.

DeafGuy C. Sep 18, 2005, 06:26am EDT Report Abuse
And you got the ability to play all of the games made for previous Nintendo consoles, what more could you ask for? I haven't even own any Nintendo system yet. I always wanted to buy Super Nintendo and Sega Genis because i loved old school video games. Gamecube didn't appeal much to me. Now with the informations I provided from the links, the potienal for revolution with that controllers thing plus the ability to buy any video games made for prevous Nintendo consoles, this does actually finally appeal to me BIG TIME.

Note: The remote control can be used in a similar fashion as the one made for NES, Super Nintendo by roating sideway.

Brian Stewart Sep 18, 2005, 01:30pm EDT Report Abuse
It seems many people are unclear on this.

The controller design shown is nearly final.
The only things that can change are the loks of it. Color, logos, button labels, etc.
Maybe button position, or the shape of the contours on the plastic housing.

The FUNCTIONALITY of the controller is FINAL.

There is ONE controller. But the controller can use ATTACHMENTS.
One planned attachment was shown - the analog stick with two triggers.

The attachment sticks into the bottom of the controller, and has an analog stick and two buttons.

One other attachment was discussed - the shell controller. This is a NORMAL gamepad. It has more buttons and triggers and sticks. The controller will slide into it and connect through the attachment port.
This allows a classic gaming configuration (two hands, sticks, buttons, triggers) but it ALSO allows you to take full advantage of the pointing and tilting aspects of the standard controller.

The shell design is NOT final. It was not shown. Nintendo has not decided whether or not to include it with the console. Nintendo will almost certainly include the analog stick attachment with the console. IGN has a mock-up of what the shell design is like, but it is just a guess. It was created to illustrate what Nintendo has in mind.

There are tons of possibilities for attachments. It's up to the developers to get creative.

I think it is very important for Nintendo to include the shell attachment with the console.

However, the Revolution features 4 GameCube controller ports in the back. This is probably for playing NES/SNES/N64/GC games, but a developer has the option to design a game around that controller. (You can download NES/SNES/N64 games to the Revolution and play them, and the Revolution plays GC games.)

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
phil Sep 18, 2005, 03:03pm EDT Report Abuse
you can still go for traditional controllers on the revolution though, thats just the one they will include with the console... and you can pug it in to a tradional too, for double i guess

either way.. something definitely aimed at kids, they have lots of energy, and love mario

i'll go back to farcry now. (with my mouse and z-board)

---
can't access HWA unless I use a proxy... lol

pfft ..f**k that! (almost sounds like work)
SombaSan Sep 20, 2005, 02:02am EDT Report Abuse
"Well said Deafguy! Finally someone with some sense in this thread!" wtf are u talking about joe.

its clear as hell that u cannot play an effective game of streetfighter or its sort. by that remote control. "wake up and smell the ashes" -gman

John Doe Sep 20, 2005, 05:21am EDT Report Abuse
SombaSan,

I never said you could play street fighter on it, or a similar game. Read what i was talking about properly. Besides you can plug in the gamecube controller into the revolution to play standard games. Or alternatively, use the "shell" that nintendo will release to enable the remote control to be used with a standard controller, therefore still being able to play normal games.

leastcmplicated Sep 21, 2005, 12:23pm EDT Report Abuse
I think most of you guys didnt even bother to read the article (also a better one w/more shots on 1up.com). There is a reason its called the REVOLUTION. Think about it... how cool would it be to move the control with sword motions instead of 5 button combos? or actually move the controller to move a race car? its REVOLUTIONARY, its new and different... i know change can be scary but give it a chance! you looked at one screen shot. I think its new and different and i also think Nintendo hit on something, its more interesting to use and more fun, plus there are attachments, and i think that includes a "normal" controller shell

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

take a look at this video http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334/vids_1.html

DeafGuy C. Sep 21, 2005, 12:34pm EDT Report Abuse
Um....the reomote control is pretty much identical to Super Nintendo if you rotate it sideway therefore you could play it like the way SNES was. As for 64 and Gamecub, well something to do with the shell but the details haven't been out yet.

I'm starting to like this new console. However, how will it stack against Sony and Microsoft's next generation consoles? Both are extremetly powerfully, thereofre is very graphically advcaned. Revolution is only three times more powerfully than Gamecube. However Nintendo's consoles have always been well known for its gameplay so hopefully it will be enough to have a strong compeition against both consoles. As of now, it is really hard to tell but no doubt both consoles will far outsell Revolution, expect in Japan where both Revolution and PS3 will outsell X-Box 360.

John Doe Sep 21, 2005, 01:03pm EDT Report Abuse
The revolution will be able to offer just as good graphics as PS3 and XBOX 360. Microsoft and Sony twist the specs to make their consoles sound amazing, while Nintendo are more honest with their specs, therefore making their console sound really weak. Truth is i dont think the revolution will be notably weaker. Specification wise the XBOX was more powerful than the gamecube, but were gamecube graphics rubbish? No, check out Resident Evil 4!

Peter West Sep 21, 2005, 01:33pm EDT Report Abuse
Revolution..yes. Clever..yes. Innovative..yes. Marketing gimick..yes.

Ok before you flame this read it all. The whine here is directed at using the default controller and possibly the regular controller caddie that they might make to slip the remote into.

Firstly playing an FPS is traditionally a two handed experience, whether you're using a mouse/keyboard on the PC or a traditional two handed controller on a console. The two handed operation is better suited to this genre than and single handed controller.

Let me explain.

On a console controller two hands provide a stable platform with the controller resting in on the palms. This enables the user to have a wider freedom of movement to reach buttons. It also allows for multiple thumbsticks and d-pads for additional control. A regular controller lessens fatigue due to the way it can be held.

Now by default as a sinlge hand pointing device you immediately run into ergonomic problems. The design of the "brick" requires a grip just like using the TV remote. This will at best leave only the thumb able to access the buttons on the top. How often do you use the thumb of the hand holding the TV remote to change channels? Not very often and for a good reason, it can't reach the buttons. Ok so you can use your other hand to puch the buttons. Well you could but then that impedes the usefullness of the pointing device, which for fast and accurate targetting needs to be pointed like a gun. Then holding the controller as a gun with one hand and gripping it to use the buttons with the other hand will create some interesting poses.

Ok so they bring out a traditional controller caddie for the brick. OK so now hopefully the button problem is solved. Now in doing so they completely screw up the pointing action. Holding and pointing this controller at the screen will make you as agile and accurate as a blind folded gun weilding elephant on a tightrope.

Ok so they give you all the regular buttons and thumbsticks on the caddie. So why bother with the clever wireless motion detection in the first place?

And the number one reason the motion detection idea will become the white-elephant of 2006...You're arms will fatigue at the constant pointing and waving around at the screen.

Ok so just one last shot at the sword weilding potential of the controller. Yes this is great if you're going to stand still. Come on now, how are you realistically going to control movement, push buttons and wave like a samuria on PCP, all with one hand at the same time?

Review or not, and I have read it so keep reading, unless you're planning on Bass fishing with this brick, or playing some other mindless eye-toy like game this controller will fast be used to strike you're opponent on the head for real rather than play the game.

The art of good design lies with function before form.

You wouldn't drive a car in RL with this thing, you'd want a steering wheel. You wouldn't fly a plane in RL with this thing, you'd want a flight stick and throttle. The same logic applies to games that mimick these RL activities, you want the device that best fits the environment. Heck you wouldn't shoot someone with this thing even if it had bullets, you'd want a normal gun.

Ok so they are going to provide a separate analog stick. Now this starts to take the device in the right direction. The analog stick is going to have to fit rather well for single handed controll but when coupled with the pointing device I think I'd have a good time with it. If they bring out a gun style pointing device then it could quite possibly transform the way FPS games are played.

I'm on the bench with this one until I get to play with it for real.

Best Regards,
Pete.

DFI LanParty 925XT2 (RIP)
Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Pro
3.4Ghz P4
2 Gig Corsair XMS
BFG 7800GT OC. (500/1202)
bonfire-db Sep 21, 2005, 03:30pm EDT Report Abuse
This Revolution controller will be a cool novelty. It might, however, wear off. The thing that makes me less apprehensive of the controller is the discussion of the shell attachement, which will let you use a regular controller configuration. To me, that should pacify ANYONE who thinks the the controller will suck, because they will have an out with which to play the game in a traditional fashion. And has anyone ever entertained the thought that Nintendo might include basic functionality using the GameCube controller in Revolution games, much like your crappy 6 button gamepad sorta works in FIFA 2005?

I think before we make any conclusions we should use the damn thing!

-----------------------------
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz
Asus mobo
4x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 1700MHz 9-9-9-27
Sapphire Radeon HD5870
OCZ Agility 3 120GB, 2x640GB WD Caviar Black RAID 0
Alex Kost Sep 21, 2005, 03:41pm EDT Report Abuse
This might have been said already, but people are still confused. There is a hub/port to put in the "remote" like controller...It looks something like this...

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/651/651559/underst...12-000.jpg

Adam Kolak Sep 21, 2005, 04:21pm EDT Report Abuse
That one that Alex showed looks just like a Gamecube controller.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
John Doe Sep 22, 2005, 05:33am EDT Report Abuse
That "shell" that was posted by Alex isnt official, it is a mock up of what the shell might look like to give people an idea. However i seriously doubt it will look exactly the same as a gamecube controller, because gamecube controllers can already be used by the revolution, why make a shell thats exactly the same (albiet with the use of the remote control). Besides i dont like the gamecube controller that much so i personnally hope the shell is totally different to it!

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.