Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 369 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 05:10am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

Nintendo Revolution Controller revealed 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3
Alex Kost Sep 22, 2005, 07:38am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Nintendo Revolution Controller revealed
The reason it looks like it so much is because rumours got out a long time ago that the actual controller would look like a Wavebird. But thats not the point, people here saying that "you cant play this with that" are annoying because they haven't even checked everything out.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
pete burr Sep 24, 2005, 10:14am EDT Report Abuse
Perhaps you guys didn't all read the press release properly. The "controller" is not simply the "TV remote" section but also comes with the analogue stick attachment. This makes playing a FPS totally simple, and in fact, far better than normal console controllers. It would not only allow totally free and accurate aiming, but functions such as the ability to detect tilt could also be used for "leaning" (as seen in CoD). One attendee who got to play the Metroid Prime 2 "demo" which was modified to use the Revolution controller was positively glowing about the accuracy of the controller (I've copied it below), which allowed for the "lock-on" to be removed from the Metroid game. I was very skeptical at first, but I keep reading more about it, industry comments, and the possibilities - and this thing has so much potential both for the casual and hardcore gamer. This thing will only be difficult to use if you have difficulty controlling the motion of your own arm

---------------------------------------------

"How does it compare to a mouse?"

From what I experienced, it seemed to be more precise than a mouse, but it's also much faster because it requires only a much smaller movement of the hand to achieve the desired effect. You just instantly point the controller at any part of the screen and bam!, that's where you're looking.

There is no lag.

There is no error.

It took a while to get used to the idea of how little effort is required to play a game with this controller. I kept wanting to lean forward and move the controller closer to the screen, and it took some practice to just sit back and just calmly move my hand ever so slightly. At one point, someone said, "If you were to play a game with this against someone using a mouse, they'd have no chance against you." I had to admit it was true.

I've been using a mouse and keyboard for gaming for almost as long as I've been a gamer. I've logged over 80 hours so far in Battlefield 2 and I have a level 60 World of WarCraft character. If somebody had tried to tell me before now that a better controller would come along, I would have laughed at them. But it only took me 5 minutes with the Revolution controller to realize that I don't need to use a mouse ever again.

Let's take a first-person shooter as an example. With a flick of the wrist, you can completely change your aim point from one corner of the screen to the other. Changing your aim point that way would require you to move a mouse all the way across a gamepad and could potentially take up to several seconds of pushing on a thumbstick with a standard console game controller. Add to that the fact that the controller can correctly interpret roll (rotation of the controller clockwise and counterclockwise) and movement toward the screen or away from it, and you start to get an idea of the universe of new gameplay possibilities that Revolution games will be able to explore. "

So this "gimmmick" is giving precision control beyond what even a mouse is capable of. Plus it obviously allows more axis of movement. So in fact, it seems ideally suited to FPS. Now dealing with the other criticisms:

1.) "There aren't enough buttons." Look at the Nunchaku setup - 2 shoulder buttons on the left controller. On the right, a trigger button and 3 additional buttons. That means it has the same number of general purpose buttons as a normal controller setup.

2.) "It's going to be tiring to use" Well, who says you have to hold it in the air all the time like a remote control? It seems sensitive enough for you to be able to control just fine with you resting your hand/arm on your legs or armrest.

------------------------------------------------

Mr. Aveng Sep 24, 2005, 05:53pm EDT Report Abuse
Yeah, the nintendo guy (don't remember his name) clearly stated that you didn't have to put alot of effort into it like they showed in the videos, apparently it's very sensitive and you won't need to be waving your arms around like a maniac.
I think it will be refreshingly different. Not sure if I'll buy one, gotta test one out in the shops first, which means I probably won't get one for months after it's released cuz there'll be loads of other people standing in line in the stores... :P

Clintizzle omizzle Sep 25, 2005, 04:29am EDT Report Abuse
Basically because the remote is tilt, motion, distance and angle sensitive; Nintendo has invented the 3D mouse.

with the nunchuk setup FPS shooters are now comparible to PC's; the holy grail of FPS.
from all reports, even at this early stage, the remote is dead-on accurate and responsive.

Suddenly revolution is the king of console FPS

because the remote is sensitive 3 dimensionally and all it requires is wrist movements, it can be used to have a cursor icon on screen with little arm strain.

Suddenly revolution is the king of console RTS

Matt BillyBob Sep 25, 2005, 07:15am EDT Report Abuse
i luv the idea....but does anyone else here think that either your shoulder, elbow, wrist or thumb is going to get a little strained after an hours use? (i give so many examples of joints cuz i cant be bothered seeing how its used)

Matt BillyBob Sep 25, 2005, 07:16am EDT Report Abuse
anyone think your joints (specially your thumb) might get a little strained waving around a remote for an hour or two?

Will Cottingham Sep 25, 2005, 10:18am EDT Report Abuse
Matt, as the 3 posters above tried to point out. The controller is sensitive enough to only require a minimal amount of movement, I'm sure if you wanted to take the more active approach to its usage you could. But as a whole I would expect the movement to be comparable to that of a decent optical mouse.

So no, I would not expect you to start getting RSD or aching limbs and joints, nor would your thumb get any more tired than it would playing a normal console game, the A button would probably be all you would need to use along with the D pad and the underside trigger button and whatever attachment may be plugged into the controller. There's a start and select button in a place that would not be hard to access, and the buttons at the bottom of the controller.........rotate the whole thing 90 degrees anticlockwise. Look what happened! Retro gaming.

Win Err 001: Windows loaded-System in danger
Win Err 005: Multitasking attempted-System Confused.
Win Err 1A: Illegal error-You are not allowed to get this error, next time you will get a penalty for it.
Win Err 00E: Window open-Do not look outside.
pete burr Sep 25, 2005, 01:33pm EDT Report Abuse
What about possibilities for sports games, like the well loved football/soccer series Pro Evolution. Nintendo's interface could change the way football games are played, adding new depth and realism to the gameplay:

* Use the analogue stick to navigate your player and dictate their speed
* When you are defending, the remote can be used to instantly select different players on the field to control (rather than hoping the AI correctly selects the player you wanted to shift control to). It would even be possible for experienced gamers to point to a region of the field and ask the player to run to that point, allowing you the freedom to setup moves or move several players into a region of the field. How about selecting a player - then hold down a certain button and trace out a rough circle/rectangle on the field that you want him to defend? When an opponent enters this area with the ball, the player would then set about trying to stop the opponent and win back the ball.
* When in possession of the ball, the remote could be used to select the exact direction and destination of a pass, rather than allowing the AI to force the "pass" into the path of the nearest team player. This would make it unnecessary for different buttons for "through pass", "direct pass", "lob pass" etc. You could do all of these using the precision of the remote and deciding for yourself rather than hoping the game does what you were thinking - and lobs could be executed by pulling the remote backwards for example.
* Feints/dummies could be performed by tilting the remote
* Using the goalkeeper manually would become far easier and more natural - penalty shootouts would actually be interesting rather than simply having the option for "high/low" and "right/left" shots.

I'm sure developers could come up with far more effective control schemes, but the fact remains that this interface changes the way you play pretty much every genre, and for the better (in theory).

Just another though. The simplicity of the click-and-point setup as well as the ability to easily manipulate and select objects in 3D space will lend itself very well to custom map creation in FPS or RTS, in a similiar (possibily superior) way to PC gaming. It seems that pretty much every present genre and many new ones can be accomodated (and largely improved) with this interface

The genius of this interface is that even arcade gaming can also now be done on the home console at minimal cost to developers. Time Crisis, fishing games etc - all games that even non-gamers can play thanks to their simple controls. But the Nintendo console can accomodate all these games, console games, AND PC games all with the same out-of-the-box controller - making them accessible to a far wider audience than possible on traditional consoles or PCs. If Nintendo get this right, their console could literally house almost every type of contemporary gaming as well as new types of gaming only possibly with their "3D mouse" interface.

Even previously shallow genres such as "on-rails" games can find new depth and fun in the free 3D control of weapons (e.g. a sword). What about a return of the NES classic Punch Out! where you control both fists using two 3D tracking controllers? I can imagine some games being hilarious fun (even unintentionally) purely thanks to the freedom of control. It's going to be very exciting to see how games change with this method of control - it will surely, in some form, become the industry standard and possibly even cross over into the PC realm (if patents arent violated). If people on the internet can come up with new FPS concepts and controls within 5 days of the controlling being revealed, I am looking forward to what developers can come up with over months of testing and experimentation.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.