Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 930 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s January 17 - 02:07am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows XP, 2000, 98 /

IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL message restarts my Windows 2000 server 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jun 18, 2004, 10:47pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL message restarts my Windows 2000 server

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Wale A Jun 20, 2004, 09:45am EDT Report Abuse
You know guys, this problem might be a DRIVER issue after all just like the BSOD error message shows. Strange, but proabably. I did something different this time...before when i updated my driver, it was thru windows update which said i had the latest driver, FALSE!!! This time i searched for the manufacturer of my NIC card, found there website and looked for a latest driver for my NIC. Fortunately they had the latest driver which was april 2004 and i installed it. So far, no BSOD!

lesson: screw windows update, locate manufacturer of hardware and get the latest driver from them!

Corvus Raven Jun 21, 2004, 12:44am EDT Report Abuse
Windows Update is disabled on my machine for a reason.

I guess you found it. :)

That and some of the old drivers work better with some of the hardware I have.

Which reminds me.. Anyone have a working driver for MM1201 SummaGraphics tablet that will work with M$'s WinXP ? (Or any MMxxxx tablet.. even a Calcomp driver may work

(yeah I went to the companies.. I was directed to SALES. :) gee.. I wonder why Tech support would direct me there??

I don't need another one.. This tablet works fine on the 486DX2/66 from Compaq, with the rest of my old SCSI equipment. (just getting hard to replace some of the AHA15xx controlers. :) E/ISA required.. not PCI :)

--------------------------
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe PCB 2.00 w/ BIOS 1005 (cause? Dunno.. ATM)
AMD XP 2800+ @ 0.0 GHz 0MHz FSB (overheating for no appearent reason)
(2) - Corsair XMS512-3500C2 (5-2-2-2T) @ 0MHz
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro @0
Enermax 500W p/s (ok.
Matt Fillmore Jul 10, 2004, 11:24pm EDT Report Abuse
i have new pcchips m848a mobo with amd athlon xp 3200, 512mb compatible ddr ram, 200gb maxtor hd, hp 8000plus cd writer, nvidia fx 5200 128mb video card, and a delta electronics psu 200 watts.

my computer doesn't really work unless most settings in bios are turned down. i have processor speed at 1700 instead of 3200. agp fast write off. safe mode settings. my computer boots up fine. runs fine for first 15-20 minutes. i'm usually playing winamp and copying files from cd drive. i usually get the irql not less or equal. it displays corrupt *.sys files. usually the files look video/display related like atapi.sys or cmuda.sys, vga.sys. it does a physical memory dump. then i attempt to press alt+ctrl+delete. nothing. i attempt to press power button, but the computer won't respond or turn off. so i go to power surge protector and flip the switch to cut off power. then i turn the pc back on and it won't boot windows. BSOD. But if i let my computer sit for a while, it will boot fine and run fine for 15-20 minutes. then BSOD irql not less or equal or sometimes i get Kmode_exception_not_handled win32k.sys . Sometimes Driver_entry_point_not_found videoprt.sys . sometimes Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

i have run diagnostic programs to check my ram. its brand new anyways. no errors found. i suspect my psu is too low. a possibility and i will test it. my cpu temp is okay at about 45 celcius. the Nvidia 5200 card is suspect too. I think i still got errors in safe mode.

how many times do i have to take my computer apart and try new parts and swap and return parts and format and reload windows and download free diagnostic programs and read long threads in forums like this and search the internet for a solution? what a waste of valuable time times however many people are having this same problem.

Erik Pittock Aug 24, 2004, 09:48pm EDT Report Abuse
I had a similar problem. I was getting that BSOD many times. It seemed like nothing that I read here did the trick. However I think I've solved my problem - disk space. I was getting a low disk space icon coming up for my D: partition on my primary (IDE) drive. As well my C: partition while not displaying a low disk space icon did not have sufficient space to perform a system restore. Once I freed up space on both of these partitions I rebooted and it appears to have solved the problem. I didn't do anything else beyond this, I had the problem 5 minutes before clearing the drive space, so this might be worth trying for some people.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Aug 24, 2004, 10:11pm EDT Report Abuse

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
John Smith Sep 07, 2004, 06:12am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL message restarts my Windows 2000 server PROBABLE SOLUTION
This seems to have worked for me. First of all, all those running DDR400 ram at 400mhz (unless you're hyperthreading, i.e. you're CPU BUS is running at more than 266mhz) run your ram at 333mhz (this can be changed in BIOS). The problem is that the your RAM might be causing a bottleneck with your CPU BUS as shown in the illustration bellow:

RAM BUS (400) CPU BUS (266)

just think of it as trying to fit a large pipe (RAM) into a smaller pipe (CPU). Another thing is that if you're running kingston value RAM on an MSI board (especially K7N2 series), there is a compatibility issue and you may need to upgrade to the latest BIOS (however risky, please visit this site for explination http://www.msi.com.tw). Note: do not upgrade the BIOS unless you absolutely have to. try bringing down ytour RAM first.

To test your system after this has been done go to http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/software/systemueberwachung/prime95/ and download PRIME95. once you have it, install and run the 'torture test' for several hours. Mine ran for 6-7hrw tihout problems so, fingers crossed.

Shaun Arnold Nov 23, 2004, 09:56pm EST Report Abuse
could someone be so kind and describe step by step how to change the IRQ address on my vid card?
have tried logging off as myself and logging back on as Administrator but the "use automatic settings" window is still greyed out in the resourse tab of my cards properties.
trying an experiment to see if it will fix my blue screen crash problem.
thanks.

Windows 2000
1.7 Celeron
512 ram
Geforce FX5700

Matt Fillmore Nov 25, 2004, 11:34am EST Report Abuse
yeah my solution to this problem was replacing the ram. Replaced the ram, no more blue screens. Also try changing the settings on your cpu/ram in BIOS. in my case 200mhz doesn't work i have to tone it down a little. Going to a local pc parts store and being able to swap out hardware to pinpoint the problem was the method i used to reach that solution. Has to be a good computer store not trying to milk you for money. the store helped me find the problem so then i bought the ram off them out of thanks and appreciation.

Oliver Foggin Dec 06, 2004, 06:37pm EST Report Abuse
OK

I had this problem a while ago, I have just got it again when I started using Limewire again (I re-intalled windows and it went away) It seems to happen whenever you use a p2p program. (From what I've seen of it anyway.

There is a web page somewhere (forgot where, found this page when I was looking for it) and it has some instructions on how to edit some driver files. You change some words in it to some other words and it fixes it. I don't know how this works I just know that it worked for me 6 months ago. You would think that seeing as I know this I wouldn't need any help.

The only help I am asking for is that can everyone please start searching for this website and post a link when they find it.

BTW (the drivers it seems to affect are D-link drivers) I am willing to put money on the fact that most of you guys are using d-link wireless adapters???

Cheers

Oliver

Tom Mozdzen Dec 06, 2004, 09:51pm EST Report Abuse
I am using a Belkin Wireless Adapter.
I crash about once every two days.
I don't believe any of the stuff people are claiming works, really does.
For all I know, the computer memory is getting corrupted by gamma bursts.
I don't have ECC memory, does anyone with ECC protected memory have this crashing problem?

BTW - wiggle your DIMMs while the computer is running and see how much it likes that! (-;

Tom

Tom Mozdzen Dec 16, 2004, 02:16am EST Report Abuse
OK - I put all of my DIMMS back into the machine and pulled out my wireless 802.11g PCI adapter.
Stable as a rock. Went from two blue screens per day to none in nearly a week.

That also means no internet access or email on that computer.

Now the trick is to find a wireless card that will not break my machine.

There is hope!

Tom

Wayne Lynch Dec 22, 2004, 07:27am EST Report Abuse
Have had the same problem with XP SP2 replaced RAM no different same error repalced Videocard same Replaced MAINBOARD same error ,returned all cmos settings to normal ATHLON XP 2600 BARTON @ XP 3200 2.31 GHZ 200 FSB ..
Ohwell back to standard settings

Mili M Jun 06, 2005, 06:15am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
I had a same problem on my pc with xp prof. I formated HD, got the newest drivers and everything was ok until I got SP2. Then the probleme come back. I did I same thing several time. My conclusin is that there is something wrong with a microsoft update!!!
By the way do all of you who have this problem have a legimit copy of windows? Becouse I got this error only in one of my pc.

Oliver Foggin Jun 14, 2005, 09:53am EDT Report Abuse
I have an edited file on my pc that I use as a driver for my wireless card.

Works perfectly and I never get the problem now.

email me at oliver.foggin@talktalk.net and I'll send it to you.

bob tarsin Oct 17, 2005, 11:10pm EDT Report Abuse
I resolved the issue by dissabling my wifi encryption and uninstalling ZoneAlarm, both of which i was not happy to do, but at least no more "NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" bsod :\

Dennis Nguyen Nov 19, 2005, 07:30pm EST Report Abuse
Plz help.
My computer was running with no prob untill 4days ago. When I was playing WOW(World of Warcraft) its suddenly reboot itselft. After logged on to Windows again, I can play the game and after fews hours it will restart itself. Iwas too lazy to check for the prob. But after 2 days, its getting much Worse I couldn't play my games anymore. At first I didnt see any error message . The PC just kept reboot itself. But when I turn off the option" Auto restart on system failure" I got the same prob with everybody in this topic.
But the one that kept me confused is Before my PC worked great. Running damn sweet for 2 months straigh. So do u guys thinks this is a sofware Prob? I think its hardware prob. Is this possible that by keeping my PC run for such a longtime I've somehow damage my computer?
Here is my specs:
Athlon XP 2500+
1GB of RAM
Geforce 6800
1x60GB Seagate HDD+1x80GB Seagate HDD
Soltex nforce2 Mobo
Creative Audigy
If you guys read my post plz give some idea cos this bug destroying my PC right now..cos everytime the computer reboots. Windows kept scandisk and there are alot of crosslink. Which usually took 30mins to run a scandisk... Thanks 4 reading

javi guzman Oct 06, 2006, 12:34am EDT Report Abuse
by any chance have u installed messenger live?!?!?!
a group of friends installed it together and suddenly all of us started to have the problem..... i dont know how can it be linked, but... im just wondering....

Dick Hertz Jan 10, 2007, 02:36pm EST Report Abuse
I have WinXP/SP2. Had the same problem. The message contained "Stop 0x000000D1" and on bottom it said "Ndis.sys" by the address and one time it happened instead of "Ndis.sys" it said "Rtl_____" with #'s in the blancs. Well i went to this website http://www.vladd44.com/other/irq_error.php and instead of this,>>>1. Right click on the device in the list (see above) and then select properties. 2. Click the Resources tab. 3. Remove the tick from the Use automatic settings option. 4. Select a non-conflicting configuration from the pull down box. 5. Click OK"<<< I Right clicked on my Ethernet card and uninstalled drivers, restarted my system 2X and the default driver reinstalled itself on the second restart. Lemme know if this fix works for others as well.

Andrew Petrow Jan 16, 2007, 07:23pm EST Report Abuse

Hi All,

I've been lurking in numerous threads now for the past week trying to find a solution to by IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stop error and I found an unorthodox solution to my problem which I would like to share.

Problem: I keep getting the annoying BSOD, IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL stop error on the girlfriends laptop when I try to add it to my home network via CAT5. Upon plugging in an ethernet cable I immediatly got the BSOD. The laptop would also BSOD at windows startup if booted with cable plugged in.

Hardware: Toshiba Portege 2000 with XP Pro, all stock hardware. Have successfully networked laptop before.

Initial Remedies tried: 1) Update networking drivers
2) Un-installed ALL networking drivers and let Windows find them again
3) Rolled back the drivers
4) Found that several devices share IRQ 11 so I tried date/rollback/uninstall on those devices as well.
5) I moved the DSL modem usb connection from my computer to the laptop usb. Same problem

I thought the NIC was faulty by this stage until out of interest I tried SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING and networking was working! The NIC therefore works. Since it BSOD upon windows startup there must be some service/app that starts with windows that is causing the conflict.

Ran MSCONFIG and found a massive amount of apps in STARTUP. Many of these I did not recognise and am suspicious. I removed everything non-critical from STARTUP and SERVICES and am now re-enabling services as required. I used the following articles for reference;

MSCONFIG Overview: http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

STARTUP apps list http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

The laptop now networks fine (in normal mode) and also boots much quicker without all that useless crap weighing it down. I definetly recommend tuning with MSCONFIG once in a while, you may be surprised with what you find :)

Andyman

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.