Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1205 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 02 - 10:15am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / ATI's X1000 series, an Ouija board outbreak?

Vindicated indeed 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
andrew kairis Oct 06, 2005, 04:22pm EDT Report Abuse
>> HERE'S A NOVEL IDEA!!
How about, now that the product's have launched, you get yourself one and run tests yourself?

You could recreate the circumstances the AIB partner said they had in thier own lab and compare.

You could check out how NV's old and new drivers effect the scoring difference.

I know it was only a paper launch but maybe another review site could loan you a few hours usage of one of thier review products?

On the outside, your benchmarks are custom scripts..... as are many other websites..... these could be edited to highlight one brand's strength next to the other's weakness (say the NV card has greater fill rate, or handels vertex shaders better or something, use scripts that handicap one product vs another)

Well.... we need some standard against that happening....

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Michel Merlin Oct 07, 2005, 02:42am EDT Report Abuse
>> Sander, get an ATI X1800XT yourself, and post verifiable tests of it

guru Shane Oct 07, 2005, 05:22pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Vindicated indeed
"From the beginning of this affair I feel like Sander has a good analysis"

Why do you continue this with a "but" when it isn't necessary?

"but pushes it with too much emotion"

I take it that you've only read 1 article and none of the others? Pffft. Tsk Tsk

"and unbacked stances,"

I see benchmarks in many of the articles...

"and too easily gets too upset,"

You should put youself in his shoes.

"thus harming his own credibility;"

lol wtf?

"IMO he should oppositely state less phrases and post more proofs and verifiable tests."

He posted benchmarks even when he didn't have access to the card. I would say that is above and beyond what many sites would do.

Mort1616 Oct 08, 2005, 07:36am EDT Report Abuse
Sander

I also would like to see an unbiased benchmark from yourself, as I'm confident that, thats what you'd give us. A fantastic idea from andrew but was the sarcasm really required, do you not think that the process of getting hold of a x1800** is in progress at the moment and that it probably isn't just as simple as giving Toms Hardware a call and asking to borrow one?

I also hope that you don't get offended by things that people post here, and just take a step back laugh at the absurdity of some of it. I think we all need reminding sometimes to take a step backwards and look at the situation, when I remind myself to do that I useually chuckle.

Keep up the good work

I'm a mawg. Half man. Half dog.

Hey, I'm my own best friend.

Rig spec in profile.
Sander Sassen Oct 08, 2005, 09:15am EDT Report Abuse
Mort et al,

Rest assured that I'm in the process of getting a card, and rerunning the benchmarks on it, unfortunately it will probably mean I'll have to buy one rather than get one from a board partner. Obviously ATI is not going to supply me with a sample.

Regards,

Sander Sassen
Editor in Chief - Hardware Analysis
ssassen@hardwareanalysis.com
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Oct 08, 2005, 09:38am EDT Report Abuse
why not just forget buying the board as ur not interested anyway, save yourself money and wait until the G80 and R580

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
guru Shane Oct 08, 2005, 12:10pm EDT Report Abuse
Yea, no doubt. If ATI doesn't want the publicity, then you certainly shouldn't help their profit margin any. It's not even the same card as was used in the benchmarks that were posted earlier, so it's not like it will give the same results. Personally, I wouldn't help the ones that tried to damage my reputation.

Mort1616 Oct 09, 2005, 05:05am EDT Report Abuse
Blue

Have you not noticed that the ethos is one of getting good informed information to the end user, and not one of saying "they damaged my rep so I wont write anything good about them". If Sander started writing biased articles, or only writing the ones that for people that get on with him, he would cease to be a good journalist. In other words it doesn't matter that ATI can be a bunch of Tw*ts, and tried to burn him. Also it must be quite satisfying to hold the high ground and say 'I turned the other cheek'.

Do you still not want him to write said article?

Rig spec in profile.
guru Shane Oct 09, 2005, 10:30am EDT Report Abuse
I'm saying that he shouldn't go out of his way to write an article about their new product. That doesn't mean that his articles are biased or will be. That simply means that he shouldn't turn around and give ATI $579 for a video card that they should have sent him a sample of for free. Sander is doing them a favor by writing about their products, so he shouldn't have to pay for that.

Mort1616 Oct 09, 2005, 12:00pm EDT Report Abuse
I do agree with you there blue. He shouldn't have to pay it.

C'est la vie. unfortunatly.

Rig spec in profile.
Michel Merlin Oct 10, 2005, 04:30am EDT Report Abuse
>> Go on Sander buy and bench an ATI X1800XT, then sell it used

guru Shane Oct 10, 2005, 10:33am EDT Report Abuse
I obviously never read anything. I just QUOTE the things that have been said and MAKE UP WORDS to write down afterwords....

Tsk Tsk

Omniscient Oct 10, 2005, 12:48pm EDT Report Abuse

Sparkle Yax Oct 17, 2005, 07:59am EDT Report Abuse
Besides that.. (I am not an expert, so I don't know exactly how much it really makes a differance) .. the benchmarks of that site are done with a X1800XT 512mb... while for instance the Nvidia series are 256mb cards if I don't mistake... Since I read in other articles it indeed makes a difference (for example in CoD2 or BF2 it does) if you have a card that has 256mb or 512mb... I am interested in what the performance of the Nvidia 7800 series will do (or what the benchmarks would have looked like) when they are/would have been equipped with 512mb.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.