Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 894 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s June 25 - 04:26pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Changing Motherboard Wothout Reinstalling 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Dublin_Gunner Oct 12, 2005, 09:01am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Changing Motherboard Wothout Reinstalling
Just to clarify, I assume the floppy contains drivers for RAID and / or SATA.

As you need your RAID drivers on a floppy when installing Windows (if using a RAID array)

Let me know how you get on.

Lee

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
J Bothroyd Oct 12, 2005, 09:20am EDT Report Abuse
Ah. I have no idea I'm affraid. Perhaps I'll pick up a floppy drive. They only cost a fiver.

One further question - (again, sorry!!!!)

What are the original mobo-chipset drivers that I need to uninstall? You couldn't be a little more specific on this could you please? I am a total brick as you can see!!!!

Cheers!

J

Abit IC-7
P4 2.8GHz Northwood (OC 3.46GHz)
80GB Raptor HD
350GB Omega External HD
2GB RAM (2 x 1GB DDR400 Corsair)
Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB AGPx8
Cooler Master Jet 4
Dell 17" Flat Panel Monitor
Antec True Blue 480W PSU
Samsung TD22 22" HD LCD Monit
Dublin_Gunner Oct 12, 2005, 09:45am EDT Report Abuse
Is it an nForce chipset? (sorry, forgot to check through the thread lol)

If so, simply go to 'add/remove programs' and you will see nVidia listed.

Click remove, and then you have the option of either removing them all, or choosing which ones. Just remove them all (this will be LAN, Chipset, Video, IDE etc)

Then you should probably use Driver Cleaner (do a google, there is a free version)

Then you're done. Ready to shut down and install the new mobo

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Omniscient Oct 12, 2005, 09:56am EDT Report Abuse
I just want to mention that even with the repair installation you might have to repair/reinstall some of the more integrated programmes, such as nortons. Other apps like games should be unaffected.

J Bothroyd Oct 12, 2005, 05:34pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi Gang.

Decided to prepare my PC for tomorrow's mobo change. However, I am still confused about the mobo/graphics/sound drivers that I need to uninstall.

When I go to control panel I can see the ATi uninstall utility so the graphics card shouldn't be problem.

But there is nothing for the mobo/sound on add/remove programs. When I go to device manager there is a long list but I don't know which ones I am even looking for, let alone which ones I should uninstall!!!

Please help. Once I have this sorted I'll be ready to go.

Cheers!

J

Abit IC-7
80GB Raptor HD
350GB Omega External HD
Cooler Master Jet 4
Antec True Blue 480W PSU
Dublin_Gunner Oct 12, 2005, 05:47pm EDT Report Abuse
If its an nForce based board, there should be a listing fo 'nVidia drivers' in add/remove programs in Control Panel

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
J Bothroyd Oct 13, 2005, 02:59am EDT Report Abuse
There is no nvidia listing in add/remove programs.

Abit IC-7
80GB Raptor HD
350GB Omega External HD
Cooler Master Jet 4
Antec True Blue 480W PSU
guru Shane Oct 13, 2005, 03:12am EDT Report Abuse
Wow, just invest in a couple of hard drives or DVD's to back up your data if it is that important. Your computer runs best right after a reformat. Unless you have purchased a registry cleaner, then that, at the very least, should be cleared. Most likely, you will just end up with problems that you didn't need. Even if you can't afford it now, get new hard drives to back up your stuff and do a reinstall. It won't hurt to have more drives, and having a nice clean system drive is great for performance. A reinstall will be a lot less work in the short term and in the long term.

J Bothroyd Oct 13, 2005, 03:41am EDT Report Abuse
Ok, supposing I decide to do a complete reformat. What are the steps? I also worry about my Norton Anti Virus package. It was already installed on my Dell and I have been renewing the subscription for the past two years. How do I sort that out???

Abit IC-7
80GB Raptor HD
350GB Omega External HD
Cooler Master Jet 4
Antec True Blue 480W PSU
guru Shane Oct 13, 2005, 03:57am EDT Report Abuse
First thing's first. Do you have access to any other Windows disc besides XP? Most likely you have an upgrade disc. That means that it will ask you for a previous version in order to complete the reinstall. If you can get access to anyone's old 98, 2000, 95, or whatever disc, then you're in business.

You would start the machine up with the XP dis in and boot from the disc. You would then install XP. Delete any partitions that are there and create a new one. Run a complete format and then install XP.

Once you get that far, you can get many great antivirus programs for free. We can all recommend you to some. You will also need a good firewall. You can get a good firewall free too. :)

Welcome back to the forum. :)

J Bothroyd Oct 13, 2005, 04:06am EDT Report Abuse
I have a Windows XP with Service Pack 1 CD that came pre-installed on my Dell. I also have Service Pack 2 on CD.

Abit IC-7
80GB Raptor HD
350GB Omega External HD
Cooler Master Jet 4
Antec True Blue 480W PSU
ioneabee Oct 13, 2005, 05:55am EDT Report Abuse
Just a note for you all

I've just replaced a mobo - from an msi K8mm (failing) to a PC Chips ('cos it was cheap as chips) - it wouldn't even allow me to boot to safe mode - so reformat was necessary

http://www.pembrokeshirecomputers.co.uk
http://www.sap-calculations.co.uk
angryhippy Oct 13, 2005, 08:34pm EDT Report Abuse
The best thing to do is to uninstall then reboot and let hardware reinstall with default XP drivers. (A repair install will do that too. You have a better chance to make the switch with default drivers loaded. Download the chipset drivers for the new board and save them to the HD before you do the switch. Also uninstall the chipset drivers unless the old and new boards both have the same brand chipset. The other thing is the power supply. Make sure you have an ATX standard 20 pin connector. Some of the proprietary systems (like my old Compaq) have 20 pin connectors but different pin values. Also if the xp disk is a Dell discovery disk, you're probably out of luck using it on a non Dell mobo.

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.