Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1261 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s January 24 - 08:32pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / General Technology /

Asus SUCKS!! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
Oct 15, 2009, 10:42am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Asus SUCKS!!
Michael C (34292) said on Oct 15, 2009 at 06:53am PDT:
If you get a dud, that's not Asus' fault.

What? If Asus sends you a dud ... it's not Asus' fault? Who fault is it then?

I've had friends swear by Asus as well, but mostly from the Athlon XP era.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Plug & Play Oct 15, 2009, 10:44am EDT Report Abuse

I have to say that the Asus Website is a f**kING JOKE.....and I am a big fan of the motherboards they produce. And the sheer numbers they make you are gonna get faulty boards, I have had 5 Asus boards over the years and 2 were sent back faulty. TBH its nothing to do with Asus, you wanna make sure the place you buy the board off is good as thay is where you will be sending them back too. Its not big deal for Asus to replace boards....but its a huge pain in the ass for the reseller who have to deal with the testing and the shipping and then the paperwork...not to mention the emails from disgruntled customers......like me.

I just shipped back my Asus Maximus Formula 2 so I will be waiting for a week or so now!

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
Michael C Oct 15, 2009, 11:08am EDT Report Abuse
That was in no way a personal attack to you Chad or was meant to be said in a harmful way. I was trying to let you know not to believe the rumors. I actually read your post the correct way.

I was not stating that YOU personally got a dud - just if that it happens in general. I don't think you can really blame Asus or any other brand for getting a dead motherboard - it's going to happen with ALL companies and ALL products.

Oct 15, 2009, 11:14am EDT Report Abuse
Michael C (34292) said on Oct 15, 2009 at 08:08am PDT:
I don't think you can really blame Asus or any other brand for getting a dead motherboard - it's going to happen with ALL companies and ALL items.

Yes, all manufacturers produce duds at least once in a while ... but I still blame them. Who else am I going to blame? :_) That's not to say that one dud is enough to turn me away from them.

Two duds, though, and I'm probably gone for good. With the number of consumers out there buying manufacturer X's product, for me as ONE of them to get MULTIPLE duds on different occasions tells me that their QC procedures probably suck. I don't want to spend all of my time in RMA hell.

Michael C Oct 15, 2009, 11:23am EDT Report Abuse
Having to RMA something is a bitch. I received a HD3850 and it burnt out in the first couple of hours of use. Had to send it away for 2 weeks, what a pain in the ass. That didn't turn me away from ATI though ;)

Oct 15, 2009, 12:01pm EDT Report Abuse
Yeah, I had to send my 9800 Pro back for about the same amount of time. Two duds might be more acceptable for me when your choice is basically only between nVidia and ATI, but with the number of motherboard manufacturers out there, I'd start thinking about looking elsewhere after two or three.

Michael C Oct 15, 2009, 12:21pm EDT Report Abuse
It's either that, or you're just one unlucky bastard if that happens.

Oct 15, 2009, 12:44pm EDT Report Abuse
Well, generally that "luck" doesn't follow me to other manufacturers, which is why I chalk it up to poor QC.

Note that I'm not talking about Asus here, I've never even owned one of their boards. Just in general.

Michael C Oct 15, 2009, 12:48pm EDT Report Abuse
I am also speaking in general, not about any experiences you've had... :)

<a class= Oct 15, 2009, 01:08pm EDT Report Abuse
Gigabyte (GBT) > Asus by far.

Chad Mcaulay Oct 15, 2009, 01:15pm EDT Report Abuse
Michael C said:
That was in no way a personal attack to you Chad or was meant to be said in a harmful way. I was trying to let you know not to believe the rumors. I actually read your post the correct way.

I was not stating that YOU personally got a dud - just if that it happens in general. I don't think you can really blame Asus or any other brand for getting a dead motherboard - it's going to happen with ALL companies and ALL products.

I agree with you there, Michael. And I don't believe in rumors. I always do the research, which is why I haven't bought a Mac for my music recording hobby ;)

It's most certainly going to happen with all products; you couldn't be more correct. I ordered a brand new Seagate internal hdd. When I first fired it up, BAM! DOA. I did an RMA, received the new hdd and it worked perfectly.

Here's also a thought. Because ASUS is a very popular brand, you are, of course, going to hear more bad things about them due to the fact that there is a large population of ASUS owners out there.

Also, when I've worked on some computers with ASUS boards, the drivers have installed wonderfully. I also really like how they clearly print the model number of their boards where you can read them. It makes searching for the drivers very easy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build: Outdated
mothow Oct 15, 2009, 01:39pm EDT Report Abuse
I love Asus board.They are the only boards ive ever owned the do what they should do.I hate Gigabyte and MSI unless its for a stock running build.But if you want overclocking get Asus

ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 / i7 4790K / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer DDR3 1600 / 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black / 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD / 2x Evga GTX 670 FTW 2GB in SLI / Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty / Corsair HX1000w
Chad Mcaulay Oct 15, 2009, 01:45pm EDT Report Abuse
And I, like in my previous post, really like how they clearly print the model number on the board so I can find drivers for them very easily. Do you know of any other boards that print their model number like ASUS does? I'm curious:)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kOrny Oct 15, 2009, 02:21pm EDT Report Abuse
my old ASUS dvd burner worked good for a while...

john albrich Oct 15, 2009, 06:41pm EDT Report Abuse
I would also humbly suggest that a LOT of "bad boards" are very likely the direct result of users who do not use proper ESD handling procedures, and damage their own motherboard either during installation or while upgrading. Too many people treat this very real handling requirement as optional or "no big deal", or they do it wrong. A board can be damaged even when you don't see a spark or feel any "static" at all.

ESD damage can also cause "latent damage" which means the failure(s) won't be noticeable right away. It could take days, weeks, or months to finally fail. To the user it will seem like "the mobo suddenly failed for no good reason...obviously it's a POS".

Chad Mcaulay Oct 15, 2009, 06:44pm EDT Report Abuse
Excellent point, John. I never thought to mention ESDs. I always take precaution when handling any computer part. It's just scary that you can damage a component with current that your body doesn't even register.

Plug & Play Oct 16, 2009, 08:04am EDT Report Abuse

You mean people actually take that drug ESD while fixing their computers...WTF

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
<a class= Oct 16, 2009, 01:21pm EDT Report Abuse
I would also humbly suggest that a LOT of "bad boards" are very likely the direct result of users who do not use proper ESD handling procedures, and damage their own motherboard either during installation or while upgrading. Too many people treat this very real handling requirement as optional or "no big deal", or they do it wrong. A board can be damaged even when you don't see a spark or feel any "static" at all.

ESD damage can also cause "latent damage" which means the failure(s) won't be noticeable right away. It could take days, weeks, or months to finally fail. To the user it will seem like "the mobo suddenly failed for no good reason...obviously it's a POS".

Do you work for Apple by any chance? Sounds like a response coming from their tech support.

"You broke it! LOLOLOL Buy a new one, it's a lot better."

Chad Mcaulay Oct 16, 2009, 01:56pm EDT Report Abuse
LOL @ Plug & Play :D

john albrich Oct 16, 2009, 05:21pm EDT Report Abuse
sovietdoc said:
Do you work for Apple by any chance? Sounds like a response coming from their tech support...

Nope. Worked for a major competitor. But some years ago I did guest-author major portion of the ESD standard for a divisions's PC motherboard manufacturing line. Resulted in immediate and significant drop in board and component failures at multiple test points in manufacturing process. Saved major $ in scrapped hardware, repair work, re-tests, and increased line productivity. I would assume it likely reduced out-of-box and latent failures for customers as well, but I never got feedback on warranty data for those systems.

For more info...I haven't checked to see if non-HWA reference links are still active.
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/71620/#537342

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.