Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1094 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 19 - 04:52pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Software /

FireFox or IE POLL 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
Rhort Dec 23, 2005, 03:09am EST Report Abuse
>> 
'fox

_________________________________________________________________________________
~ The manual said "Requires Windows '95 or better" ...so I installed Linux!
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Beavis Khan Dec 23, 2005, 08:14am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: FireFox or IE POLL
Firefox - except when I have to use some site where the developers couldn't be bothered to follow web standards and instead code for IE only. Of course many developers seem to assume that if it works on IE, it's "correct", but hey ;)

____
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

- H.L. Mencken
SombaSan Dec 23, 2005, 12:56pm EST Report Abuse
"IE, I like it's user interface & eas of use"

super firefox has an easier interface especially since it has the tabs.

plus it seems to be more secure.....

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM
"The Best Intel Chip is an AMD"
Adam Kolak Dec 23, 2005, 01:03pm EST Report Abuse
Firefox user since version 0.6 and it was called "Firebird" back then. This whole Firefox name thing is new to me. Firebird is what i sometimes call it and people have no idea what im talking about, and then im like oh yeah i mean Firefox.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
FordGT90Concept Dec 23, 2005, 04:17pm EST Report Abuse
IE6 x64 is the pwnz0rz!!!

Surpher805 Dec 23, 2005, 04:47pm EST Report Abuse
As soon as I found out about it I've been with the fox ever since. I evern have all the IE icons removed so that others that use my computer are forced to use a better product.

Athlon T-bird 1.4Ghz @1.56Ghz with no additional cooling
MSI K7T Turbo LE W/ Raid
1GB PC133 RAM
Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4200 128MB
Sound Blaster Live! MP3+
TDK 32X10X40 CD Burner + DVDROM Drive
LIAN LI Aluminum Case
300W Power supply
WD 80GB,60GB,20GB,
A_Pickle Dec 23, 2005, 05:01pm EST Report Abuse
Didja uninstall it? Otherwise you can go to "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" to use it. I might add, uninstalling it's a pretty dumb idea.

-Pikl

Doddsy Dec 23, 2005, 05:39pm EST Report Abuse
I'm another firefox fan. I've even converted all my friends too

Athlon64 3700+ w/ Zalman 9500
Dfi Ultra-D
2Gb G Skill DDR500
XFX 7900GT w/AC Silencer 5
2x74Gb Raptors + 2x200Gb Spinpoints
Antec Sonata II w/ 500W Enermax Liberty
bob bob Dec 24, 2005, 05:55am EST Report Abuse
Im with the sly fox myself.

For all you IE fans heres a fox extension which should convert you:

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1419&...on=firefox

Its an IE tab, useful for webpages which dont work using the fox. Like Windows update.

Michael A. Dec 24, 2005, 07:10am EST Report Abuse
That's really cool, rehan saeed. Thanks!

Michael A.
Ecosse Dec 24, 2005, 08:14am EST Report Abuse
IE since IE4 - tried FF, personally didn't like the interface - will try again if IE7 sux.

Ecosse

Specs here > > > > > http://tinyurl.com/ecosse08
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Adam Kolak Dec 24, 2005, 08:34am EST Report Abuse
Apple Safari!!!

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Michael Paladin Dec 24, 2005, 08:57am EST Report Abuse
It has to be IE. I find it very stimulating/challenging to have to debug, clear adware, remove sticky dodgy toolbars and reset to about:blank after being hijacked.

Do unto others exactly what you expect them to do to you.
Ecosse Dec 24, 2005, 09:04am EST Report Abuse
to have to debug, clear adware, remove sticky dodgy toolbars and reset to about:blank after being hijacked.

I agree with Arch - until the bit about - debug, turned that off - adware?, what's that - dodgy toolbars, sounds like the PC is infected and in need of some real security - hijacked??.

This machine is not suffering due to a poor browser but a negleted security setup.

If you want any browser to fail - along with the rest of the PC - just leave it as it is as it came out of the box - if you want a trouble free experience, then you'll have to do something about it.

Happy and safe surfing to all - regardless of which browser you chose - just secure it.

Ecosse

FordGT90Concept Dec 24, 2005, 09:11am EST Report Abuse
>> Happy and safe surfing to all - regardless of which browser you chose - just secure it.

Security is only as good as the person that uses the machine. I.e. my mom and I can use a computer for months without problems. My dad touches it and we get a doze junk emails within 24 hours.

I don't have any spyware, antivirus, etc. on this computer. Why? Because my brain is more powerful than it will ever be. 6 months (when it was built) without problems. At least IE can access other computers via network names.

Ecosse Dec 24, 2005, 09:23am EST Report Abuse
GT,

You have 2 options:

1) Get dad his own PC

2) Secure your PC for when he gets his hands on it - you are taking a big risk not having any security - but it's your risk and I'm sure you have your reasons.

Ecosse

Michael Paladin Dec 24, 2005, 09:31am EST Report Abuse
Sorry, Ecosse. I work on a multitude of PCs of different types belonging to other people, and it was these to which I was referring. My own setup has hardware firewall on wired network, software firewall on wireless network and antivirus, antispyware and popup blockers all round. Reread my prev post and apologize for misleading info.

Do unto others exactly what you expect them to do to you.
Ecosse Dec 24, 2005, 09:36am EST Report Abuse
LOL Arch - no probs :-)

As my daughter just said - 1 sleep to go Dad - what for, we going to KFC?? - don't think she's talkng to me now!

Ecosse

FordGT90Concept Dec 24, 2005, 09:36am EST Report Abuse
Worst case scenario = spend 4 hours formatting it.

In any case, security is only necessary when you have files that need to be secure. Making the choice to plug into the world wide web opens yourself up to a very large assortment of security threats. Simple solution: keep all vital information off of computers that have WWW access, which we do.

A smart user can prevent any virus or adware install by knowing what they look like and where they are obtained from. The only thing a smart user can't defend from is a worm or hacking attempt. That's where a strong hardware firewall on the WAN port comes into play. Security is extremely simple if you know what you're doing.

BTW, cookies are harmless. They are simply text that is never executed. The worst they can do is track where you go in a site. Most sites do this to know where the traffic goes and what they need to concentrate on the most.

Ecosse Dec 24, 2005, 09:40am EST Report Abuse
Here, here GT - couldn't agree more - pity there are but a few with such knowledge.

Currently only got the one PC here so secured up to the eyeballs as per specs.

Going to build a new PC some time this year nad will make this my storage & back up pC with no access to WWW & no need for security.

Ecosse

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.