Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1692 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 13 - 06:37pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

"Primary hard disk drive 0 not found" on boot..... Help 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Vickie Jorden Oct 11, 2008, 06:18am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: "Primary hard disk drive 0 not found" on boot..... Help
I am having problems with a Dell Latitude D505 Laptop...I am trying to fix it for my niece who needs it for school. It was working until her dad mishandled it and now when it boots..it says Primary Hard Disk "O" not found. The hard drive makes a sort of a buzzing sound...then stops...so i replaced the hard drive...it doesn't make that sound..but i still get the same message...This laptop has Windows XP in it..can anyone help me Solve this issue...thanks

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Joshua Kleier Oct 11, 2008, 10:20am EDT Report Abuse
Who loaded XP on it? Where did it come from? Probably a jumper issue. For a laptop, you'd want to have the jumper set on Master/Single.

Remove the Hard drive, and look at the jumper settings. There will be a legend to let you know how to position the jumper for Master/Single.

If that doesn't fix it, let me know

Vickie Jorden Oct 11, 2008, 06:17pm EDT Report Abuse
Thanks for helping me....my son told me to do the same thing..however..i cannot find a jumper to set it...can i purchase one? My son is in the Military and is being sent to Afghanstan in December...or he would be able to help me with my issues if he were here...
Any help i can get would be greatly appreciated...i will let you know something as soon as i do it...

Vickie Jorden Oct 11, 2008, 06:19pm EDT Report Abuse
Forgot to mention....the windows XP on the first original Hard Drive was factory Installed from Dell...the second hard drive was put on by someone else..not too sure..but i do know that it will need to be formatted and have a fresh windows put back in it...

Joshua Kleier Oct 11, 2008, 08:06pm EDT Report Abuse
When you installed the hard drive, you connect it by a ribbon cable (a flat and wide wire)... On the same side of the hard drive as that, or on the exact opposite side, there is a set of pins that stick out, around 6 of them usually. There will also be a jumper around 2 of those pins, which is usually a tiny white or black piece of plastic, only a couple of milimeters large. On the label of the hard drive there is a legend that will show you where to put the jumpers on the pins to assign it to Master/Single.

So Dell sent you a replacement drive? Call them also and tell them the issue.

Vickie Jorden Oct 11, 2008, 09:17pm EDT Report Abuse
On this laptop computer...I didn't have any ribbons to connect it to...it had a housing that the hard drive went into and i just plugged it back into the computer...I dont know about any ribbons....I know desktop PC's have ribbons but laptops dont..not that i know of anyways...
The new hard drive was given to me, Dell did not send it...
You can look up the Dell Latitude D505 laptop specs on dells website and see how the hard drive goes...

Joshua Kleier Oct 12, 2008, 01:53am EDT Report Abuse
Well, you might not like this.The MBR needs to be changed a bit. There's a little program called Ranish Partition Manager that you can boot to if you have a blank CD. (download, burn to CD, have it in and restart the computer, make sure you boot to the cd-rom)

If you get in the there, let it load. Hit enter, and then hit space and then save and quit. Use w/ extreme delicacy.

Vickie Jorden Oct 12, 2008, 06:33am EDT Report Abuse
Use with Extreme delicacy..lo! What is MBR? Is there a link to where i can download this program?

Joshua Kleier Oct 12, 2008, 12:04pm EDT Report Abuse
http://www.ranish.com/part/

download version 2.4

Burn it.

when you're able to boot to it let me know

jean pierre Sep 20, 2009, 09:57am EDT Report Abuse
I have a Dell gx110, I had the same prob. I tried to add a second harddrive (slave) and i messed it all up, when i booted my computer it said " primary disc drive 0 not found". I tried everything i could think of and on of the last guys said it could be that small pin that goes in the back of the harddrive, sure enough it was I had to try all the slots untill i finally found the right slot and bingo xp boots like a a charm! thanks

Innocentlass Azinyue Jul 29, 2010, 03:08pm EDT Report Abuse
I had the very same problem, and was able to fix it, by changing the nab cable. This, after spending over 24 hours resetting jumper cables.

Merrill Spivey Oct 05, 2010, 08:56pm EDT Report Abuse
im having the same problem as posted on a Dell optiplex but its not finding either my harddrive or cd-rom drive

Josh LeClair Jul 08, 2011, 03:05am EDT Report Abuse
im having a problem alot like this im using a Dell lattitude c610 and sometimes in the bios its recognizing the harddrive soemtimes not sometimes giving me that error msg about "Primary hard disk drive 0 not found" and the sometimes telleing me "there is no bootable device" and the times it does recognize my hard drive when i select safe mode or normaly or ect,ect it just freezes and doesnt do anything also this happened randomly my computer was on and i had my back turned on another computer and i turned back and it had that msg across the screen "Primary hard disk drive 0 not found" it will not boot no matter what i do any help please?

greg schroeder Sep 14, 2011, 11:26pm EDT Report Abuse
ok guys not to fret i had this problem even though it says its not there go to the setup and un click the hard drive then you jsut have the cd then restart the computer and when you get to the setup or f1 for run hit f1 give it a mintue or so it will ask if you want to boot from disc hit yes and then your on your way it will format the drive and it knows it there but doesnt show right away

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.