Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 738 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s August 18 - 08:29am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Networking / Wireless /

Difficult Network Conections missing nic problem 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Jeff Guebert Jul 12, 2006, 12:38am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Difficult Network Conections missing nic problem
Yeah, I pulled a spare hard drive (I actually had the Vista Beta on it but just never used it) and did a test fresh install to see the results, and of course it worked just fine. So, I moved all my important stuff over to another hard drive and just formatted/reinstalled XP. Wasn't my top option either, but when a 17 step KB article doesn't fix your problem, you know your choices are limited, lol.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
guru Shane Jul 12, 2006, 01:28am EDT Report Abuse
That's what I was thinking. After trying all that, reinstalling starts looking better and better. I feel your pain, though. I had to RMA my Raptors, so I'll be starting over from scratch here in a few days. I'll probably install Linux this time, just to gain something from starting all over.

Dan B Jul 26, 2006, 01:35am EDT Report Abuse
Just encountered the exact same issue. Tried all the same suggestions listed. I think Microsoft has really screwed us on this one. I spotted a comment from them saying it requires a Hotfix from them. Of cours they are only open the hours when I work.

Like the others, my internet connection works fine but the network connections window is completely empty.

Microsoft admits this to be their problem.

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
OCZ 2x 1G 2-3-2-5 mem
Nvidia GTX 260 Core216
Silverstone Strider ST60F 600w ps
Thermaltake Circle Full Tower

Dan B Jul 26, 2006, 02:10am EDT Report Abuse
Ok, you may choose not to believe this but I am 99.9% sure I have solved this. I ran across a post where a guy had this same problem and asked in vain if Final Fantasy XI could have caused the problem. I say yes it did.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.netw...8814c35b83

I just picked up that piece of @#$%&! game this past Saturday tried it, hated it, uninstalled it and started seeing the problem with my network connections window.
It even blew away my static IP address and made it DHCP.Luckily I had a restore point just prior to installing the game and it's horrid "playonline" interface. After restore, all is back to normal.

I suppose there are other games/software that could cause this to happen, but in my case it's too much of a coincidence and very obvious it was the culprit.

I apologize for slamming Microsoft in my previous post (actually not really ;)) they should have enough robustness to prevent such a thing. I do however praise the restore point system, that is their only saving grace.

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
OCZ 2x 1G 2-3-2-5 mem
Nvidia GTX 260 Core216

guru Shane Jul 26, 2006, 02:15am EDT Report Abuse
I apologize for slamming Microsoft in my previous post (actually not really ) they should have enough robustness to prevent such a thing.

lol Don't blame Microsoft for Sony's programmers. I suggest sending an e-mail to several Microsoft people and perhaps even post this on one of their forums as a possible cause. If they don't know what's causing it, how can they fix it? If this is indeed the cause, you should let them know.

Dan B Jul 26, 2006, 01:47pm EDT Report Abuse
Done. However, I don't think PlayOnline is associated with Sony. It's the frontend connection manager associated with Final Fantasy XI. Both have been stripped from my PC, never to return!

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
OCZ 2x 1G 2-3-2-5 mem
Nvidia GTX 260 Core216

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.