Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1645 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 01 - 01:24pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows XP, 2000, 98 /

TUTORIAL: Transforming Windows XP to Vista 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
guru Shane Jul 16, 2006, 02:21am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: TUTORIAL: Transforming Windows XP to Vista
lol Tutoreal wasn't the only misspelling guys... I'm a perfectionist. :) If you're going to point out mistakes, don't just stop at one.

Don't worry about it Sovietdoc. I'm just bored and was curious about the XP into Vista transformation, and really don't have anything better to add to the thread.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Bitmap Jul 16, 2006, 03:34am EDT Report Abuse
Now, StyleXP I've known to horde RAM all for itself, though they may have made it more efficient since I last used it, which was about a year and a half ago.

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
.:Mindful:. Jul 30, 2006, 08:40am EDT Report Abuse
Lol. StyleXP was probably made by a bunch of die-hard Mac Lovers who wanted to slow your PCs down cause then they can say: "Hahhaha my PC is better than yours. It conservers more RAM.. and um CPU, and uhhh style, yes definately style... errrr ya. So HA!!!"

Ahahaha. Wanna tazer that guy in his testicles. Turn his Ha into a AHHHH!

Weee.

Kind regards,
Miles

Scumbag Blues Jul 30, 2006, 12:20pm EDT Report Abuse
I agree with Bobby, WindowBlinds doesn't take up too much memory at all. I have version 5 and it takes up about 4000KB.

However, Firefox on the otherhand...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/Fibonacci_1123581321/fi...memory.jpg

~

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB | XFX Radeon HD 6950
<a class= Jul 30, 2006, 05:54pm EDT Report Abuse
You think FF is bad? haha my IE7 B3 takes 186, 452 kb now. Thats only with HWA opened.

Sean Costello Jul 30, 2006, 06:50pm EDT Report Abuse
Dilbert, 57 Processes? Holy Crap!

Yeah firefox tends to suck up resources:
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9813/ffve2.jpg

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
guru Shane Jul 30, 2006, 07:07pm EDT Report Abuse
lol I have 65 processes running right now. :)

~Vel Jul 30, 2006, 07:27pm EDT Report Abuse

guru Shane Jul 30, 2006, 07:33pm EDT Report Abuse
Vel, you might want to edit your contact info out of your pic. Just thought I'd point it out, just in case you didn't realize you are displaying it. :)

Really nice work with only 23 processes! I have so much unneeded crap. It's not spyware or anything bad. I just don't necessarily need it. Oh well, I guess. I'll worry about it when the performance starts declining. lol

~Vel Jul 30, 2006, 07:47pm EDT Report Abuse
lol thanks, i didn't notice that myself up until you pointed that out but then again i don't really mind =p and yeah, geting it down that much on the processes took me a bit of tweaking, especially on the services. i'm really glad i did it though, after doing a ton of optimizations and stuff i managed to get from cold boot to an idle desktop (meaning loging in, then waiting for start up programs etc.) from 3:24 to 1:07 and that's always a big plus when i need to reboot =p

Greg M Jul 30, 2006, 08:03pm EDT Report Abuse
Jeez. I had style XP installed, and it would consistenly slowly bloat windows to over 450MB of memory usage.

Now, I just use a patched uxtheme.dll and custom themes. No more usage than normal XP

I have 20 processes upon boot (on my laptop), totalling around 90MB of memory usage.

My old gaming PC (which I had tweaked to death) used about 70MB on boot with 13 processes.

With just HWA and Gmail, firefox is using 47MB, totalling 136MB of memory usage.

----
FX-55, 2x 1GB GSkill, X1800XT (512MB), 2x250GB RAID-0, DFI SLI-D
http://www.gandmpc.com <-My 'project'
http://www.knownpsycho.com <-Web games!
Sean Costello Jul 30, 2006, 09:44pm EDT Report Abuse
i have 29 on start up now (w00t Msconfig)

also wtf is that TeaTimer thing, i had it too but disabled it

______
Sean Costello Jul 30, 2006, 10:20pm EDT Report Abuse
Just go it down to 26 processes (not counting TM) on start up >: D

______
Bitmap Jul 30, 2006, 11:44pm EDT Report Abuse
A couple of things. First, I just installed both Vista Transformation packs, and love them. :D
Second, My Firefox is using 69,748 KB.
Third, my desktop, which I've tweaked mildly, and built, so no proprietary crap, has 31 processes. My laptop, on the other hand, a Toshiba which I'm still working on cleaning up, as far as proprietary crap, has 46 processes.
Fourth, and finally, I didn't screenshot any of this, because I'm lazy, and uploads suck on satellite internet.

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
~Vel Jul 31, 2006, 06:11am EDT Report Abuse
sean, teatimer is the thing that comes with spybot search and destroy that lets you approve/deny registry changes. i love it to death >.>

A_Pickle Jul 31, 2006, 06:38am EDT Report Abuse
...Tea Timer (and Spybot: Search and Destroy for that matter) are fairly weak compared to Windows Defender.

http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-results-1.htm <-- Windows Defender is "Giant AS."

~Vel Jul 31, 2006, 08:17am EDT Report Abuse
myeh i run the following and have no problems

Spybot S&D
Tea Timer
Ad-Aware
AVG
SpywareBlaster

i also run hijack this and go through through the list every week or so, and rarely have problems. also that test is dated holmes >;\

.:Mindful:. Jul 31, 2006, 08:39am EDT Report Abuse
Oh blow it up your ass A_Pickle... >.<

I was having fun until you had to join and blow your "Windows programs are uber sweet compared to anything else" bullcrap. God dang.

You always gotta do that?

Not really kind regards,
Miles

~Vel Jul 31, 2006, 09:24am EDT Report Abuse
-notices's pickles profile- now i'm odldy compelled to say -coughcheapshamelessadvertizementbullshtcough- i love ms too =)

.:Mindful:. Jul 31, 2006, 10:10am EDT Report Abuse
Lol. Sorry.

Hard for me to deal with someone who not only loves Dells, Intel, ATI, and everything that Microsoft. Thats basically everything that I go against. And then the moron rubs it in my face with all the bullshtine. What a prick. Weeee.

I'll probably get banned for this. Or it will just get deleted. Well.. it was worth it :D

Kind Regards (to everyone except the A_Pikl or whatever his name is),
Miles

Yup. I'm pretty screwed. Moderator punishment here I come. Yikes.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.