Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1317 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s August 08 - 07:05pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

What version of windows should I install on a slow computer? XP is too bulky for me 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Adam Kolak Jul 15, 2006, 09:12am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: What version of windows should I install on a slow computer? XP is too bulky for me
I was running Windows XP Pro on my old PII 350Mhz, 128MB of ram, 8GB HDD system. It ran well after I disabled all unneccessary services. Windows XP was down to using 59MB of ram, and about 60MB of page file. Which left enough free ram to surf the internet, word, etc.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
andrew kairis Jul 15, 2006, 06:06pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: What version of windows should I install on a slow computer? XP is too bulky for me
"i'd say put Win 2k on the system as its not as bulky as XP and seems more streamlined for everyday and gaming use."

Like he is gaming beyond solitare and company on a p2 266mhz.

You have it underclocked for battery usage or reduced heat or?

I still say 98se because that computer was probably around about the same time as 98se so everything should be supported out of box. small resource footprint. it will still be more responsive than anything MS has out today.

So MS doesn't support it anymore, can anyone tell me how not having support for an OS which is no longer targeted by all that many malicious codes is an issue? XP owns the day so the security hole exploiters go after XP PERIOD

Plus what good is MS support anyway?

I feel ya though man, I'm running a celeron 1.1ghz on 384mb pc100 ram XP pro. its acceptable but it was faster under 98se

you might also checkout http://www.linspire.com fifty bucks and its allegidly windows compatible linux --- i have not used it though so i do not know how good -- if any -- it is. very very limited directX support but like I said, you wouldn't be running anything made after directX 5 on there.

andrew kairis Jul 15, 2006, 06:16pm EDT Report Abuse
QUOTED FROM EARLIER POST:

Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs is not a general-purpose operating system. It is designed to work with the Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection client or third-party clients such as the Citrix ICA client. In addition, it allows for a limited number of workloads to be executed locally, including security software, management software, terminal emulation software, document viewers, and the .NET Framework

NOT a general-purpose OS.

Its designed more for dumb terminals, "remote desktop connection", or "Citrix ICA."

They listed "document viewers" as a bullet point for the OS ...... i think DOS had document viewers ... now wait... i KNOW DOS has document viewers sorry.

Granted due to it being a heavily stripped down version of the XP OS, Fundamentals will have less of a footprint than other XP installs i still doubt it would be a better choice than 2k or 98se...unless you have MS stock in your portfolio ;)

98se will be more responsive due to less resource consumption -- while 2k would probably last alot longer between reinstalls (every 6-24 months its a good idea to reinstall 98se.... it gets degridated and slows down over time... I used my pc ALOT and it was usually good for a year each time)

~Vel Jul 15, 2006, 06:57pm EDT Report Abuse
my dad has a PII @ 450mhz with 256 RAM and a 12.6gb HD runing XP SP2 as i type. its a bit of a crawl but i've seen worse. my cousin has a P4 @2.0ghz with only 128 RAM a 80GB HD runing windows ME and that is slower than my dads. mainly the 128 RAM so sadly if 128mb of ram is the most you can get, then go to 98 SE. my dads comp was the same set up as is but with 64mb ram and it worked fine as far as speed goes.

brian pope Jul 15, 2006, 10:56pm EDT Report Abuse
andrew, MS nolonger supporting 98se does make a difference.

There will be no security fixes issued, which is the biggest reason to dump 98se unless your not planning on connecting to the Internet with it.

Believe it or not! any virus, trojan, worm or rootkit that targets XP will generally target all windows OS's, there's still millions of people running 98 & 95, they also have several things in common with those that run 2000 & XP. They all use Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, utilize activeX, scripting & have the same kernal.

The vast majority of PC's used for DOS attacks (you know the PC's that are controlled by hackers without the owners knowing it) are still running 98 & 95 OS's. For the simplest of reasons, their the easiest to exploit.

Jul 15, 2006, 11:08pm EDT Report Abuse
I ran 2000 on an old Compaq laptop: 166MHz, 64MB of mem, whoknows what else the specs were. Ran like a champ.

XP took eons to boot on it. :)

andrew kairis Jul 15, 2006, 11:20pm EDT Report Abuse
chris do you plan on websurfing with it? Dialup or broadband?

brian, i see some of your argment might have merit.
I do not believe they use the same kernel. NT was a different one from the 9x

I do recall reading several times that security holes found in xp do go back all the way to 95, but I also recall reading that many flaws are XP exclusives.

got some references?

Personally I've never had any issues, I was on cable for a couple years, just stayed on main websites and off of file trading networks and never had any security or virus issues. Now on dialup I doubt anyone would waste the time waiting to takeover something that has such a small pipe. Plus me the user would notice immediately.

I would say just run a good security suite but some of those can get expensive both in greenbacks and in resources.

Josiah Bradley Jul 15, 2006, 11:53pm EDT Report Abuse
The computer obviously isnt going to be used to play any new games or anything given its specs so I'd install linux. Try one of the pop-in and go distros like ubuntu, or if you want to optimize your experience even for a slow machine gentoo is awesome. Linux is always a good option for slower machine because it can be streamlined and you dont lose basic features like when you streamline windows. You could try nliteos and hack windows down if you want it to run. I have had windows running on 40MB of ram before. Also try and get another desktop program running like black box for windows and remove explorer.

3Dmark2005 2000
3dmark2006 600! lol
brian pope Jul 16, 2006, 02:09am EDT Report Abuse
Yes your correct the kernel in 9x is different than what's in 2000 & XP, it's been updated to include support for the additional features of 2000 & then again for XP. It's the same kernel just rewritten to add the additional code needed to support the newer features. I believe they were planning on redoing the kernel for Vista but ended up dropping the idea & just added the new features like always.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/vista/kernel-en.mspx

Examples
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-015
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-014
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-054
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-016
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-040
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-008
There's plenty more....

Actually dialup was always used by hackers to launch DOS attacks, static IP's are a hackers delight.
Highspeed was only becoming available in late 1999 early 2000 & didn't become mainstream until 2001/2002
Now of course wireless is the mainstay since there the most insecure connection going.

andrew kairis Jul 17, 2006, 04:09am EDT Report Abuse
kinda funny about the DOS attacks .... if you web connection is slower than slow..... why not disconnect or complain to your ISP

back to the topic at hand..... to make good suggestions I think we need to know if you will be connecting the laptop to the web chris.

we all seem to have jumped the gun on that.... really every choice you make regarding computers depends on what you want to do with it and what do you need it to be able to do. (like me, I do email and google 98% of the time so my old cel 1.1Ghz is just fine though many tweakers almost die when hearing someone is still on an old SDR 100mhz bus)

even with the valid points raised about 98se ..... how long before the six year old win 2k OS goes unsupported?

Linux is getting easier to use all the time. I played with red hat 5, and more recently red hat 8 ..... like night and day... but I play direct 3d games so it couldn't be my 'daily driver'

why not just go nuts and do good ol windows 3.1 hehe

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jul 17, 2006, 05:09am EDT Report Abuse
Windows 2K and XP are NT, NT requires a way too beefy computer just to run awsome

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Dr. Peaceful Jul 17, 2006, 06:41pm EDT Report Abuse
PII with 6GB of HDD size. If I were you, I would just put Linux on it and forget about Windows. Win2k would be the choice if Windows is must. Keep in mind that Win2k needs at least 2.5 GB for basic installs and drivers. Here's the break down.

Choice 1: Linux. With 6GB only, you probably want to get a light weight Linux OS, such as Fedora.
Choice 2: Win2k. For the benefit of NTFS, stability, hardware driver availability, and MS current support.
Choice 3: Win98 SE. For the benefit of true DOS, running old progs / games, small install, FAT32 (linux read / write capable).

May be a dual boot of Win98 and Linux will be good, too. But 6GB would be a bit of tight squeeze. :-)

angryhippy Jul 17, 2006, 09:47pm EDT Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba laptop with a PII 266MHz 128MB RAM and 32MB on board memory running XP Pro. It's slow but no slower than 98 was.

I have a PIII 800MHz Compaq running pro also. 192MBs It runs like a Compaq. Total POS but better than the ME it came with. It freezes every 20 minutes as opposed to every 2 minutes with ME.

I think it's time for a garage sale.

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
brian pope Jul 18, 2006, 12:40am EDT Report Abuse
I like the "garage sale" idea Payton!

I'm about to retire my oldest still in service PC, a PIII 800MHz also, it's been a nice machine & served me well for the past 7yrs.
It just doesn't have the balls for the day to day work anymore, with my next closest PC for speed being a Athlon XP 2800, well you can see the difference....

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.