Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1702 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 01 - 01:38pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Off Topic /

Topic of Faith (Religion/Morals/Atheist/etc) 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
Michael A. Aug 09, 2006, 01:22am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Topic of Faith (Religion/Morals/Atheist/etc)
Yeah, I don't either. There are a lot of really twisted things in the Bible. Murder, slavery, and rape approved by God...human sacrafices...the list goes on.

Michael A.
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
CrAsHnBuRnXp Aug 09, 2006, 01:24am EDT Report Abuse
Like I have told you before (just not in this thread), I do not go to church to have somone tell me what I should "believe," I'll let me decide what I should believe and what I think is a crock.

Bitmap Aug 09, 2006, 01:25am EDT Report Abuse
I'd like to add something to the whole sexuality section of this thread.

I've seen so many people who frown upon homosexuality who say something along the lines of "We can help." The thing that bothers me about this is that they are, basically, treating homosexuality as if it were a disease. I find this to be a load of bulls***. Just had to toss my opinion in. Maybe it will spark more conversation.

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
CrAsHnBuRnXp Aug 09, 2006, 01:31am EDT Report Abuse
It is a load of bulls**t. I dont mean this to sound prejuduce or anything but everyone needs to be treated the same whether or not they are black, white, gay, alien, etc.

I for one, am tired of the racism and hatred towards everyone because of their race, religion, sexuality, etc. We are in the 21st century now. We should be over this stuff already. People now-a-days are not like our grandparents or great-grandparents. Sure there are still people like that, but not like there were. I say we all should get along and forget about all the hatred and bigotry.

Michael A. Aug 09, 2006, 01:32am EDT Report Abuse
I agree, Mark. Well said.

Michael A.
Bitmap Aug 09, 2006, 01:33am EDT Report Abuse
If I were over 21, I'd drink to that. :D

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
CrAsHnBuRnXp Aug 09, 2006, 01:35am EDT Report Abuse
Thank you Michael. It is something that I believe and that is NEVER said. I accept everyone no matter of what race, sex, religion, etc. Sure there are people that I dont like, but its not because of what they are, its how they present themselves and their attitude.

A_Pickle Aug 09, 2006, 01:41am EDT Report Abuse
Sure there are people that I dont like, but its not because of what they are, its how they present themselves and their attitude.

Radical religious zealots come to mind.

Michael A. Aug 09, 2006, 02:08am EDT Report Abuse
Yeah, anyone who is willing to blow something up for his or her god scares me.

Michael A.
Reason Aug 09, 2006, 02:13am EDT Report Abuse
Sure there are people that I dont like, but its not because of what they are, its how they present themselves and their attitude.

I used to work in a warehouse where I was the only white guy among mostly black guys. One man in particular was relentless about giving me a hard time, and it gave me some measure of pleasure to tell him, "I don't dislike you because you're black, I dislike you because you're an a**hole."

Bobby - gotcha covered tonight.

Bitmap Aug 09, 2006, 02:32am EDT Report Abuse
Anyone who puts their life completely in someone/thing else's hands scares me.

Thanks Matt! :D

________
~Vel Aug 09, 2006, 02:59am EDT Report Abuse
josh, excuse me if i came off as being rash before, but i just can't follow a belief that i should be killed because of my sexuality. sorry if you don't understand.

Bungle Aug 09, 2006, 05:14am EDT Report Abuse
Josh:
~~~~~~
The land was likely very dry and barren before the flood. The water could easily seep into the ground.
~~~~~~

No the flood water could not easily seep into the ground... You really have no concept of how much water we are talking about here do you? Liquids like solids have a definate volume... For the water to "seep into the ground" there would have to be enough empty space beneath the surface of the earths crust to hold ~4 times the volume of the ocean!!! I hate to tell you but there is no such cave or resoviour anywhere in the world. Your answer is not sufficent.

For those of you having trouble visualizing this go outside and look for a Jet Airliner, the plane would be a few hundred feet above the surface of the water at the height of the flood. IF there was that much water on the planet 5000 years ago there would have never been an ark, because there would have been no dry land anywhere for the trees to grow on because all the dirt would be 20,000+ feet under water!

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Bungle Aug 09, 2006, 05:16am EDT Report Abuse
Almost forgot,

Anyone that has any doubts about what the bible says about homosexuality needs to read the first chapter of Romans.

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
leastcmplicated Aug 09, 2006, 08:49am EDT Report Abuse
Christians and Jews are in a quandry. If you deny parts of the Bible to suit yourself arent you committing heresy? God killed the people in the flood and in soddom and gomorah right? He asked abraham to sacrifice his only child, he killed the egyptians in the red sea when they were chasing the Jews and moses, and countless other murders, but doesnt one of the 10 commandments say "thou shalt not kill"? So its do as I say not as I do? who cares if they were sinners, murdering a sinner is still murder, hell he didnt even give them a chance to repent did he.
Then if you do not deny parts of the bible, then you believe its ok to sell your daughter into slavery, you think its perfectly fine to take slaves (as the Israelites did to the caananites), you believe that the countless rape throughout the bible (reference Judges, Deutoronomy, 2 Samuel, Exodus and Zechariah) is perfectly fine because it was all on gods command right? cause god does no wrong?
Jesus has said that whatever you pray for you will receive, I know "good christians" who have prayed for a baby, and they got one! only to have it still born. nice god. Jesus should have added the addendum "but it can also be snatched back from you"

So all of the Christians I ask you, since you do not deny parts of the bible then everything in the above paragraph is ok? Its funny because if someone raped your mother and said God told them to, would you just let it go? How do you know god didnt talk to him and tell him to rape your mother? Just because it wasnt observed, doesnt mean it didnt happen. Also with UFO's do you believe the people who claim to have seen one or been abducted? just because you didnt observe it doesnt mean it didnt happen. So basically since christians follow the bible because they believe it is non fiction means they will be so gullible as to believe anything someone tells them? they have no proof that what they are saying isnt or is true. Just like they have no proof that the bible isnt or is true... same thing. I prefer to have proof before I blindly believe what someone tells me.

Reason Aug 09, 2006, 11:37am EDT Report Abuse
What does Evolution have going for it? A theory (Theory of Evolution). What does Creationism have going for it? Laws, not just theories. like, The First Law of Thermodynamics, The Second Law of Thermodynamics. Plus, no one has ever seen spontaneous generation. Life has to come from Life. It doesn't just appear from no where.

First, a scientific theory is not a guess or a suggestion. It's based on repeatable experiments giving predictable results. From Wikipedia:
In science, a theory is a proposed description, explanation, or model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation. It follows from this that for scientists "theory" and "fact" do not necessarily stand in opposition. For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theory which explains why the apple behaves so is the current theory of gravitation.

As noted, gravity is "only a theory." The Onion has a funny but pointed satire on this:
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512?issue=4228&special=2005
You'll probably be offended.

Here's a page that explains the difference between Laws, Hypotheses, and Theories.
http://www.wilstar.com/theories.htm

Second, how do the laws of thermodynamics explain the existence of god? I'm pretty interested in hearing that one.

.:Mindful:. Aug 09, 2006, 01:39pm EDT Report Abuse
Matt:

That article was pretty distasteful. Grr (nothing sums up a good "that was vulgar" sentence with a good dog growl)

Anyway....

This topic is getting really informational. But the irony of it all is that we both won't change our beliefs. I don't care if they announced tomorrow that the Bible wasn't true... with tons of "evidence" backing it up. I would still believe in God.

And you ask why God would make it difficult for us for complete evidence on him...

Its obvious. Our lives are tests. It is a test to see if you believe in God. He tests us. The Theory of Evolution isn't proven... and the Bible isn't proven either. So its your choice. Will you make the correct one? If life is how you portray it... then we die and thats it. But I won't take that for an answer. There is something more, and I know it.

So really... this discussion is ultimately useless and a waste of our time. But that is okay. I enjoy reading your views. Just as long as it doesn't get stereotyped or personal. I am speaking for myself. So in a sense, it IS personal. But I don't want negative comebacks towards the other person... just the belief.... I guess.

John:

I didn't know that the Bible was against homosexuals. Even though I'm not... lets look at something here:

Homosexuality is NOT destined at birth. Humans are animals also. You do NOT see homosexual animals. It is also said that a male is more LIKELY to be a homosexual if they have more brothers.

As much as they try to prove otherwise... those studies are just to make homosexuals to not riot (and feel better about themselves in a soceity like this).

So really.... God has every right to be against it. And so do we, hetrosexuals.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lemme clarify before you start coming up with comebacks to this. I am NOT someone against homosexuality. NOT.

leastcmplicated Aug 09, 2006, 01:50pm EDT Report Abuse
are you serious? some animals are bisexual, i'm sorry, its proven, in fact some can change gender, bisexuality has been observed in over 500 species.... thats just something made up so homosexuals wont riot? not only is that the most ignorant thing I've ever heard, its the most ridiculous thing too... show me a non religious site where it says the stats are made up so homosexuals wont riot. and why the hell would they riot anyway?? and science has also proven that a male homosexual brain is different than a male heterosexual brain... thats not determined at when the brain forms... before birth? please.

~Vel Aug 09, 2006, 03:14pm EDT Report Abuse
"Homosexuality is NOT destined at birth. Humans are animals also. You do NOT see homosexual animals. It is also said that a male is more LIKELY to be a homosexual if they have more brothers."

wrong. you haven't seen my neighbors dogs, oh my.

Reason Aug 09, 2006, 03:23pm EDT Report Abuse
So really.... God has every right to be against it. And so do we, hetrosexuals.

First part: Why would god make a "flawed" human? I have a really hard time with the whole "testing us" thing. Is god that insecure that he needs to create humans that will worship him? Further, would he damn some of his own children eternally if they don't? And what of native peoples who live in remote areas, like the Inuit or Brazilian rain forest tribes or Saharan nomads? Are they damned just because they never had a chance to hear his word?

Second part: No. No, no, no, no. We as heterosexuals have absolutely no right to be against homosexuality. You want to know why? Because it affects us not one bit. No one has to like it, but to be actively against it is discrimination, plain and simple. Show me how Elton John or Liberace liking men, or Melissa Etheridge or k.d. lang liking women, has affected yours or my life in the slightest, or any other gay or lesbian by virtue of their sexuality.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.