Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1648 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 01 - 01:44pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Off Topic /

Topic of Faith (Religion/Morals/Atheist/etc) 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
Adam Kolak Aug 04, 2006, 04:05pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Topic of Faith (Religion/Morals/Atheist/etc)
1. No. I grew up both Roman Catholic and Jewish, which made me realize just how much BS religion is. Religions are just out to steal your money and feed you with false beliefs that are from two thousand plus years ago that no longer hold true in todays modern world.

2. No drugs, but I don't personally think weed isbad for you, No smoking (tabacco), it is bad for you, drinking is fine you just have to be smart about it. Drinking age should be lowered to 18 or minimum Military service age should be raised to 21. Overall though I think people should be able to do whatever they want with thier bodys and if that includes smoking, drugs, lots of alchol then good for them.

3. Yes. Everyone should have thier own beliefs, and not believe stuff other people tell you to believe (after they ask for 20% of your money first - bastards)

4. I don't believe in religion because of three reasons: Bad crap always happens to all the religious people I know. Religions ask for your money which is not right, as religion should not involve money. Religion is the cause of all the wars in the world.

I think alot of people who are atheist, agnostic, etc. are that way because they are "enlightened". They are a new wave of thinkers that understand why religion just can't work and makes no sense. We are going through another "enlightment period" and this time religion will die off completely. Slowly by slowly, religion will collapse around the world causing peace and happiness and freedom!

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Bungle Aug 04, 2006, 04:27pm EDT Report Abuse
1. No

2. Yes, I don't believe it is right to deliberately hurt someone else without cause or reason beyond one's own selfishness. I'n short its only okay to hurt other people only in an act of selfdefense. I have no reservations about premarital sex I don't see any reason why two consenting adults who fully understand and are willing to accept the possible consequences of their actions shouldn't be allowed to do anything they want with eachother behind closed doors. Drinking and smoking are fine with me its your body do with it what you like, just be responsible and respect others while you are drinking and or smoking.

3. I was at one time a christian but am now a strong agnostic I became agnostic after reading an article about the impossiblity of the noah's ark story and then doing research to try and disprove/discount the arguments of the article... when i failed i began looking into other bible stories and found them to be inaccurate as well... I am now very cynical and will not accept anything on blind unsubstatiated faith, extrodinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
~Vel Aug 04, 2006, 04:28pm EDT Report Abuse
1.) i was raised to be lutheran by both parrents, went to church most every sunday, went through sunday school until i had confirmation classes which was when i was in 7th and 8th grade, got "confirmed" fall of 9th grade for my parent's sake. i'm going to be in 10th grade this year and just turned 15 in june. all throughout when i was in sunday school i would wonder or not why i had to go to church every sunday, and during service, completely bored all the time. i always wondered why people were just all sitting there in pews singing and listening to somebody speak about passages in a bible and then in every service have the pastor do a sermon about something of their own experience for anywheres from 10-20 minutes. i found it just boring year after year with the same old stuff all the time, absolutely nothing new. (back then i hadn't a clue really what religion was all about even other than that it had to do with a being called god, this being around my elementary/early middle school days). around 6th grade i became more so agnostic, wondering if there was really anything or not and at the time was leaning more on the athiest side of things. since then i have had my mindset between athiest and agnostic every so often. a few weeks ago i went through bible camp for my third year in a row (i go just to have fun with people really, you can't beat houseboating on the mississippi for a week i don't believe..) and due to discussions and the such i was leaning towards the more agnostic side of things once again but now i'm back more towards athiest. i'm a very comprimiseable person i suppose.

2.) I don't have too many morals/principals. I believe killing without the reason being to protect someone's life who is close to you is entirely wrong. you should only kill another in the most imperative situations where if you don't kill the person who wishes to harm someone in the first place in that very instant, that someone close to you will never be the same, for the worse. i believe hard drugs shouldn't be done (exempt from things like you have 24 hours to live, what would you do sh't). i believe that people who are exceptionally violent should be deprived of alcohol. i believe that everybody has a certian ability/exemptinally good talent of sorts. whether it's something that seems a tad supernatrual to just being able to make someone feel better, i personally believe i have an ability for good/extremely lucky timing. i believe abortion passed 2 months should only be reserved for rape victims and cases where the mother will die from the child being birthed or the mother is passing on a near 100% chance fatality rate to the child within the child living it's first years or passing aids. (remember though i say reserved, not manditory...) i believe that if there is a higher being, they would probably have steped in and stoped us from doing that they deemed to be bad. i believe that "jesus" was on the earth. probably not as that name, probably not a son of a god. but he was definatly a person who brought good things to people

3.) as i said above i go between being athiest and agnostic so however you wish to take that.

4.) i'm primarily agnostic because i don't think it's ever possible knowing for sure that there is a god. the practice of organized religion seems to bring more harm and disputes into the world more than it solves, too many people say god told them to do this or god told them to do that, i'm not buying it.

i have a friend who extremely right wing and catholic and we get into friendly things about this all the time, that being said i'm not out to offend anybody and am willing to answer any questions anybody has for me

Sean Costello Aug 04, 2006, 05:10pm EDT Report Abuse
Jesus Vel musta taken you foreve to type that lol

1) Yes/ Rasied Roman Catholic, but scheptical about some ideas.
2) As long as it doesn't effect me or my Family/ close friends i don't care.
3) No
4) Im more or less my own type of Catholisism, like i believe in scientific reasons and some religious reasons, though sometimes i doubt god even "cares".

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
~Vel Aug 04, 2006, 05:14pm EDT Report Abuse
yeah lol, everybody's sleeping on xbox live in the afternoon =( it's 4:15 and not many people are on yet, though it is central time and a friday... ;>_>

.:Mindful:. Aug 04, 2006, 07:04pm EDT Report Abuse
Kinda nice to see some believers out there.

Hurts me to know that the society has been so defiant to our traditions and cultures. What happenened, guys?
When did we lose the faith?

Kind Regards,

Miles

~Vel Aug 04, 2006, 07:19pm EDT Report Abuse
we see life how we see it, a majority of us "non believers" simply don't like being almost forced to know we got here any certian way. a big problem i have with religion is all of the people who push and push and push for the rest to believe in it. if we're intriested, we'll take a look. if you try to force us, do you think we'll even want to give it a try? let alone practice it? i mean look at isreal(sp?), iraq, etc. etc. all the war it causes. look back at how many people got wiped in the inquisition. it causes so much genocide and all that, i don't want to be a part of it.

(also when i say you, i mean nobody in particular, i'm just phrasing(sp) it that way)

Liquid Shadow Aug 04, 2006, 07:21pm EDT Report Abuse
Vel said it all, and I don't see why it's "sad" that there are a lot of non-believers, it's just the way people are, and I don't see anything wrong with that, it's our choice.

--------------------------------------------------------------
ADK 1Q AR Laptop
Core i5 520M | 4GB RAM | ATI HD4570
~Vel Aug 04, 2006, 07:26pm EDT Report Abuse
exactly, i mean there's so many religions and so many that want to convert others. why can't everybody just take a light beleif in buddhism as far as the karma aspect goes , let everybody make their own decisions and agreements, and from there be done with it?

Aug 04, 2006, 07:28pm EDT Report Abuse
Hurts me to know that the society has been so defiant to our traditions and cultures. What happenened, guys?
When did we lose the faith?

How is people making up their own minds for themselves considered "defiant?"

Liquid Shadow Aug 04, 2006, 07:38pm EDT Report Abuse
I love McFly lol, straight to the point.

--------------------------------------------------------------
ADK 1Q AR Laptop
Core i5 520M | 4GB RAM | ATI HD4570
Bungle Aug 04, 2006, 07:40pm EDT Report Abuse
I'm not so sure that people are "choosing" not to believe so much as they are unconvinced based on the evidence placed in front of them by the "religous community"... Many "believers" seem to think that belief is a choice like choosing pepsi over coke or choosing to buy a red car instead of a green one... I really don't see it that way. You can't choose to believe something, you know that 2 + 2 = 4 so you can't really "choose" to beleve that 2 + 2 = -569.781 you would know deep down inside that you were wrong and you wouldn't really believe it yourself no matter how much you professed that you did on the outside. In the same way I didn't really choose to drop my belief in christianity I was convinced in the light of new evidence that it was wrong. Now thats not to say that you can't choose to not listen to reason when someone is trying to teach you something.

I find discussions like this one facinating because it spreads light on why people believe what they do, and what it is that has convinced them of their beliefs, regardless of weather they are right or wrong.

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
A_Pickle Aug 04, 2006, 08:22pm EDT Report Abuse
Hurts me to know that the society has been so defiant to our traditions and cultures. What happenened, guys? When did we lose the faith?

My initial reaction to this statement is, what the hell? You don't see me saying, "Gee, it hurts me to know that the society is gullible enough to believe this hogwash. What happened, guys? When did we become so ignorant?" Why? Because that's not what I believe. I don't believe in the same thing as you based on experiences in my own life that haven't indicated any sort of deity or religious system in place, guiding the Universe.

Additionally, "The Faith" is another point of contest I have with most religions. Religions generally stipulate that, "Unless you believe in this, you will not make it to the positive afterlife." In Baptist Christianity, if I don't believe in God, I will be eternally cast into Hell. Never mind the fact that God has yet to present himself to me in a believeable fashion, otherwise... I'd believe in him (or her). Generally, the counter-argument to this is that we "non-believers" are in some sort of voluntary... but involuntary denial. How that's somehow supposed to work, I'm not entirely sure. The ball's in your court on that one, chaps.

I'd like to use this time to address my stance on religion. Personally, I think it's bogus hash, but out of respect for others I don't publicly say that. I also don't feel that way about people who believe in it - there are many theologians out there to whom I shall leave the debating to someone else. There are non-religious people who make a habit of assaulting religion and it's followers on a frequent basis, often calling them "ignorant" or "gullible." I don't begin to propone that kind of verbage, it's rude and serves only as a detriment to that which many atheists (and human beings, frankly) would like to see: People to get along and tolerate eachother, without regard to religion, race or gender.

I am an Atheist. Respect my choice. If you try and convert me, you might leave my doorstep questioning your worldview. Just FYI.

I digress, forgive me. For reference, I shall quote you once more:

Hurts me to know that the society has been so defiant to our traditions and cultures. What happenened, guys? When did we lose the faith?

Belief systems have risen and fallen since the beginning of time. Given modern science and today's widespread secular education systems, I would estimate that our generation may be witness to Christianity's epitaph. Why do you think that your belief system is exempt from decline and collapse? How is yours any less wrong than the apparent failures of times since past?

Bitmap Aug 04, 2006, 09:03pm EDT Report Abuse
I don't think we ever "lost the faith." A lot of us just weren't raised with "the faith." Also, if you look at the good majority of laws in the United States, the UK, and various other countries, those laws were "borrowed" from religious beliefs. For example, I live in the US (save you all the trouble of going into my profile :D) and like most places, we have laws against murder. Well, murder is also the "original sin" if I remember school correctly. A lot of laws are b]ased on religious principles. So, even though I'm an atheist, I still follow the law. I could be an extremely radical atheist, and say "Those laws are based on religious principles and teachings. I'm against laws of religion, hence, I'm against laws of this country" Such is not the case. In fact, there are very few atheists, that I know of, who actually think this way.

I want to emphasize, that just because I'm an atheist, doesn't mean I don't respect the choices of others, regarding belief, religion, and faith.Quite the contrary. I encourage everyone to make their own decisions regarding such things.

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
Michael A. Aug 04, 2006, 09:09pm EDT Report Abuse

Michael A.
~Vel Aug 04, 2006, 09:09pm EDT Report Abuse
"I want to emphasize, that just because I'm an atheist, doesn't mean I don't respect the choices of others, regarding belief, religion, and faith.Quite the contrary. I encourage everyone to make their own decisions regarding such things."

i too agree with this, that last statement word for word. i just hate it when somebody does that, and thne says "this is how everything is, believe me or die horribly"

EDIT: wow, this post looks like such a stub after michael's >_>

DarK_SlayeR Aug 04, 2006, 09:28pm EDT Report Abuse
1.) On the fence. Don't know what to believe. I was raised Christian, so I have a strong respect for that faith.

2.) I have a strong sense of morals. This is the biggest thing I respect the bible for.

3.) On the fence about that one too. Gonna have to do some serious thinking about that...

4.) I've had some pretty rough things happen to me (Sister dies at age 11, Dad turns into a pr**k, etc). I'm rather confused in life right now. I hope to find answers someday. But there are things I can't ever let go of (morals, etc).

Please remain respectful of others in this thread. It's drenched in gas and set to blow. Don't be the one to drop the match...

-------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 @ stock
Asus P5Q Pro P45
2GB x 2 Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066
eVGA GTX 550 Ti 1024mb Superclocked
Windows Vista Home Premium x64
Adam Kolak Aug 04, 2006, 09:55pm EDT Report Abuse
Part of the reason Im not a believer is because I grew up with two religions, Catholicism and Judaism. My mother was Jewish and my father was Catholic, which kinda made me believe in neither because I couldn't believe in two, and didn't want to choose one over the other.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Josh Aug 05, 2006, 12:07am EDT Report Abuse

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
AMD Phenom 9850 || DFI Lanparty 790FX-M2RS || 8GB OCZ Platinum || XFX 7900GS XT ||
Check eBay computerman_89
~Vel Aug 05, 2006, 01:04am EDT Report Abuse
sorry josh but i'm throwing this one back to you on the "freedom of religion" part

7 -- used as a function word to indicate something from which a person or thing is delivered <eased of her pain> or with respect to which someone or something is made destitute <robbed of all their belongings>

- http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=of

really it's a double meaning so i have to go against you on that one =/ and it means freedom of choice of religion. meaning you can choose your relgion as in if you want to have any of the ones that are out there, or not.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.