Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 881 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s August 09 - 09:44am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

Say Goodbye to ATI 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
CrAsHnBuRnXp Aug 07, 2006, 06:10pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Say Goodbye to ATI
Im sorry to hear that Water Drop. How old was the dog? What breed?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Adam Kolak Aug 07, 2006, 06:48pm EDT Report Abuse
Shetland Sheepdog, 7 years old.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
G. G. Aug 07, 2006, 07:04pm EDT Report Abuse
Awwhhh man Water..... sorry to hear about your dog... I know it is tuff because our pets are part of our family..... Just like my Koi's..... when one of those damn Blue Grey Herrings comes along and make a meal out of one of my Koi's..... I'm really sad and then I'm holy p**sed.... I wonder if that Herring tastes like chicken.... I could BBQ one up and feed it to the family and see if they can tell the difference..... But... Koi's could be like a family pet.... especially when you buy them when their 2" long and have them up to 3 or 4yrs and they grow up to be about 18" long just to become a meal for one of them suckers......

Sorry to hear your lose Water.

Back to ATAMD or AMDAT.....

you guys here talk about gpu built onto with the cpu core...... To me.... that is OK.... but then you are tied up with the power of the gpu with the cpu.... what if you want to upgrade to a faster cpu or faster gpu but dont want to do both.... your kinda stuck.... then what happens if the cpu you want to upgrade to... does not have an enough power performing gpu and the gpu you really want the power off is two or more level of cpu up.... and upping the cost wayyyyyy over what you want to spend........ to me... the process would be good for OEM type systems but for ones that like to upgrade the cpu and gpu separately and to the levels of each at their own levels.... should still be that way and not locked into some specific combination.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
CrAsHnBuRnXp Aug 07, 2006, 07:19pm EDT Report Abuse
I had a cocker spaniel that was 18 yrs old that past away 1year and 3 months ago. I miss him terribly. :*(

DarK_SlayeR Aug 07, 2006, 09:31pm EDT Report Abuse
I've never witnessed a takeover like this (hence my question). Will ATI hardware still be supported for a while? Or is the ATI product I just bought going to lack driver support?

-------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 @ stock
Asus P5Q Pro P45
2GB x 2 Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066
eVGA GTX 550 Ti 1024mb Superclocked
Windows Vista Home Premium x64
Bitmap Aug 07, 2006, 09:41pm EDT Report Abuse
Huh. That sucks. I'm an ATI and Intel Fan. Now that ATI is AMD, I might be screwed. Ah well. HERE I COME, 7950!!!

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
G. G. Aug 07, 2006, 10:44pm EDT Report Abuse
Bobby,

that what I am thinking right now too.... :) 7950GX2 here I come..... and maybe two of them if Nvidia is so kind to let Intel share in the wealth...... :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Dr. Peaceful Aug 07, 2006, 10:52pm EDT Report Abuse
What's the reason for dropping the brand's name? A lot of mergers still keeps the previous entity's name as part of the company divisions, unless of course if they only bought part of it, not the entirety. AMD bought the entire ATi, so ATi name brand can stay as an option. Looks like some f*cked up upper management decided not to. That's another million or so for erasing all the previous trademarks and logos from various company assets and products.

You see, when you say ATi, people will instantly recognize, it's a GPU. Now we can't tell whether it's CPU or GPU that they're talking about, until we look up the model number. Unless the use red letters "AMD" for GPUs, green letters "AMD" for CPUs, and black letters (red + green = black) "AMD" for combo CPU+GPU chips. LOL :)

Bitmap Aug 08, 2006, 02:35am EDT Report Abuse
H K:

From pcpro.co.uk, the article posted at the beginning of the thread -

"Baker stressed that, contrary to what's been reported in the press elsewhere, the acquisition will be a takeover rather than a merger..."

Either they changed their mind at the last second, or they called it a merger to keep people from getting too angry, but decided to spill the beans either way.

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
A_Pickle Aug 08, 2006, 03:10am EDT Report Abuse
No... uh... it's been a buy from day one. AMD acquired ATI for 5.6 billion dollars, lock stock and barrel.

Dublin_Gunner Aug 08, 2006, 05:20am EDT Report Abuse
When ATI had the r3xx cards out, nVidia didnt have anything that even came close to offering similar performance. The the r4xx cards came out, and were awesome, then nVidia had 6 series, which took the crown back to the green camp, and were a fine series of cards.

Then 7 series surfaced, great performance. Then ATI released x1k, probably the most eagerly awaited series of cards ever, and just about blew anything else out of the water wityh the performance and IQ they offered, but quite obviously made by a terrible company....

Conclusion:

ATI & nVidia both make fantastic cards, both company's have their pro's & con's, and the people who benefit the most are us consumers.

I do agree that getting rid of a recognised brand name is sort of a silly excercise, and whichever brain thought of that idea must have a job lined up in nVidia. But I do however seem to remember something similar happening with a small little known GPU developer that was once known as 3DFX...........[nVidia]

Of course the situations for the purchases were completely different, but I haven't seen anything 3DFX branded since.....(not even SLI ;-))

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
FordGT90Concept Aug 08, 2006, 10:52am EDT Report Abuse
I've never had a problem with ATI drivers but I am not pleased with their move to strictly CCC drivers (I want my control panel back DAaMit!). I think they're a fine company. They slipped up a few times but what company hasn't.

All ATI cards now will probably carry an AMD badge and that's it. I wouldn't expect many changes in the ATI camp. ATI was working on a sub processor design for motherboards I think for physics or something. When I say one quad core CPU, a sub GPU, and a sub physics processor, I mean three sockets. All that stuff would be on the hypertransport bus instead of the PCI bus.

Scumbag Blues Aug 08, 2006, 11:40am EDT Report Abuse
Thank you DublinGunner! That was what I was trying to say.

What I meant by crossfire being better is its flexibility. I wouldn't mind an AM2 / Crossfire motherboard, at all. I don't care if I'm the only one.

Besides... ATi is Canadian. : )

~

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB | XFX Radeon HD 6950
john albrich Aug 08, 2006, 12:21pm EDT Report Abuse
After acquiring Cingular Wireless, AT&T spent millions of dollars re-branding it's "AT&T Wireless" group to the "Cingular" name.

Just a couple years later, and AT&T is supposedly spending millions of dollars AGAIN.....

to re-brand it's service to.... "AT&T Wireless".

Lesson?

p.s. some have suggested it's because of a terrible customer service rep Cingular has in the market. So, change the name...bye-bye bad rep.

guru Shane Aug 08, 2006, 01:04pm EDT Report Abuse
Do you think that ATI has a better reputation than AMD? Take a moment and think about all of the Nvidia fans and all the people that didn't like ATI. By taking over ATI and taking out its name, even Nvidia fans and people that didn't like ATI might decide to go with an AMD graphics card. Yet another point I would like to make is that it is actually AMD that is competing with Nvidia now. ATI is gone, so what's the point in keeping the name? Do you think that it is more important to keep a name so that ATI fans will continue to be loyal supporters, or do you think it is more important to create an entirely new product with a new name and be able to target the entire world as a customer base, without coming into the picture with possible customers being totally against your product specifically because of the ATI name?

Josh Aug 08, 2006, 01:43pm EDT Report Abuse
AMD has, easily, twice to three times the financial backing that ATI formerly had (not to mention the fact that AMD now has ATI's assets), and they obviously have very competent engineers, just ask Super XP. If anything, Nvidia now has some real competition.
I agree that AMD can, and should, give Nvidia some stiff competition. But the fact is, AMD is a processor company, not a graphics processor company.
I guess only time will tell.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
AMD Phenom 9850 || DFI Lanparty 790FX-M2RS || 8GB OCZ Platinum || XFX 7900GS XT ||
Check eBay computerman_89
nope Aug 08, 2006, 01:56pm EDT Report Abuse
I don't wanna go back to Intel...I like my Nvidia+AMD combination. D:

A_Pickle Aug 08, 2006, 01:56pm EDT Report Abuse
Take a moment and think about all of the Nvidia fans and all the people that didn't like ATI.

Or Intel fans that hated AMD?

By taking over ATI and taking out its name, even Nvidia fans and people that didn't like ATI might decide to go with an AMD graphics card.

Doubtful. If they're Nvidia fans, they will more than likely go with an Nvidia card. There is the possibility that they *might* go with an AMD-branded graphics card, but I highly doubt AMD would base it's name-change decision on the possibility that some Nvidia fanboys "might" switch to AMD Radeons.

Yet another point I would like to make is that it is actually AMD that is competing with Nvidia now.

Which is odd, given that AMD worked together with Nvidia far more than they worked together with ATI (which, more often than not, worked together with Intel).

Do you think that it is more important to keep a name so that ATI fans will continue to be loyal supporters, or do you think it is more important to create an entirely new product with a new name and be able to target the entire world as a customer base, without coming into the picture with possible customers being totally against your product specifically because of the ATI name?

As far as I'm concerned, the entire premise of basing any significant decision on "fanboy backlash" is outstandingly stupid. ATI could (and did) target the world just as AMD will, it'll just be much easier for "ATI" to do so given the backing and support they'll have from AMD. I really don't think the brand name removal is wise or not, AMD and ATI (to me) seem to have garnered similar reputations.

Merc Aug 08, 2006, 02:02pm EDT Report Abuse
Well, this has been coming for awhile. ATI makes some great products which means they have some gifted engineers but their management was the crapper. Paper launches, poorly realized dual card configuration and p**s poor distribution all point towards management out of control.

AMD, IMHO, got a great deal here. They get the engineering expertise that ATI has put together and some great brand names such as Radeon and All-In-Wonder to flog to the masses. AMDs management applied to ATI engineering only spells good for both companies.

The only question is will AMD push the vid card series forward or start the ATI boys working on an integrated graphics and proprietary chipset configuration so that AMD can compete against Intel in what looks to be a very tough battle coming up.

If done right this could be huge. Honestly, ATI was getting the crap beat out of them by Nvidia. i'm not arguing the merits of either GPU here, I am arguing distribution, financial management and working capital. AMD could not have afforded Nvidia but ATI had diminished enough, financially, over the last year that they could be had for a song.

Look at it this way, ATI survives in some form, AMD gets a foothold in a new market which means they can now survive long term, and we as consumers will still have a choice in CPUs 5 years from now.

Merc
Modified Lian Li PC 7077A
Dual Watercooling Loops
Asus P5K Deluxe BIOS 0404
Core 2 Duo Q6600 (3600MHz@1.46v)
Max OC 4050MhHz at 1.65v
1 x XFX 8800GTX XXX Watercooled
2 GB Team Xtreme DDR2 800-PC6400
2 x 150gb WD in Raptors in RAID 0
1 x 640
Dublin_Gunner Aug 08, 2006, 02:37pm EDT Report Abuse
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/custompc/news/91650/amd-stays-hand-over...d-axe.html

might not be getting rid of the name after all.......

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.