Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 818 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 01 - 08:05pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

Say Goodbye to ATI 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
DarK_SlayeR Aug 08, 2006, 02:40pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Say Goodbye to ATI
Well said Merc. I've owned a 9800 Pro, an X800XT AIW, and I just ordered an X1900XT, which has been well liked for a while in the hardware community. The only flaw I see with ATI is their OpenGL driver components. I mean damn, how hard is it to to improve that one flaw? Doom 3 came out quite a while ago, and they still have a performance hit :(. And while I don't like the CCC, I can live with it because I have 2gig of ram ;).

-------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 @ stock
Asus P5Q Pro P45
2GB x 2 Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066
eVGA GTX 550 Ti 1024mb Superclocked
Windows Vista Home Premium x64
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dublin_Gunner Aug 08, 2006, 02:45pm EDT Report Abuse
Darky, have you used the 6.7's yet?? I got over a 30% boost in Prey, its the only OGL game I have, so it may not be an OGL thing , just Prey, but looked promising....

**EDIT

Sign the petition lol

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/948903027

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
.:Mindful:. Aug 08, 2006, 03:15pm EDT Report Abuse
See guys...

The reason why us fanboys of Nvidia mostly don't like ATi is not only because of old experiences with bad cards (I once had a 9800 Pro once and it was the greatest) but the fact that the only decent ATi cards are the really expensive ones. Sure, I'd love to buy a X1800XTX card or just a plain XT. But I don't have the money. Any other ATI cards are just pretty bad. You gotta buy the top of the line if you want it to be worth your money. Nvidia has always been the best bang for the buck in that way. I could get a 7600GT and be proud of it versus spending $500 on some type of the line card and settling for a sempron processor xD.

Kind Regards,
Miles

** Anything I said is mainly from my opinion. I was speaking for everyone else because I felt like it... not because it was true. But seriously.. Nvidia is a better bang for the buck. **

CrAsHnBuRnXp Aug 08, 2006, 03:59pm EDT Report Abuse
Shane and Dublin,

Please keep this on a civil level. No need for any attempts to start a flame of any sort. So please, try to get along.

Scumbag Blues Aug 08, 2006, 04:17pm EDT Report Abuse
.:Mindful:., ATi has also made some great video cards for a great price. X700 Pro, X800XL, X1600 Pro, 9800Pro... the list goes on and on. Both nVidia and ATi have made great cards for all categories. I got a X700 Pro for $100 CDN two months ago... and it plays most games at medium settings very well.

~

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB | XFX Radeon HD 6950
SombaSan Aug 08, 2006, 04:23pm EDT Report Abuse
I don't care as long as they keep the 80nm R600 series. ATI has done a great job in reinventing them selves with better technology, rather than still pushing out the best of the old like Nvidia.

As long as AMD maintains this everything will be ok.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM
"The Best Intel Chip is an AMD"
Josh Aug 08, 2006, 05:00pm EDT Report Abuse
Well, it looks like ATI is still going to be here. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060808-7446.html

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
AMD Phenom 9850 || DFI Lanparty 790FX-M2RS || 8GB OCZ Platinum || XFX 7900GS XT ||
Check eBay computerman_89
Aug 08, 2006, 05:22pm EDT Report Abuse
Nice find Sir Josh, I hope ATI and Radeon don't vanish into the night... I love 'em. :_)

But, as others have stated, if they do infact get rid of ATI/Radeon, I would probably switch to nVidia. But I love ATI... not as much as Supreet (he probably has a poster of Ruby on his wall lol :) [I still say Alyx Vance is hotter]), I love the products.

Michael A. Aug 08, 2006, 05:25pm EDT Report Abuse

Michael A.
Afrow UK Aug 08, 2006, 06:59pm EDT Report Abuse
that article has been updated also with a link to
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/custompc/news/news/91650

Spokesperson Eric DeRitis told Custom PC: 'AMD has no plans to drop the ATi brand name or ATi's product brands. The ATi name will live on at AMD as our leading consumer brand, and so will the Radeon brand and other ATi product brands. AMD's executive management knows very well the power and value of branding, and ATi's branding is some of the most valued in the global technology industry. As such, we plan to keep it. Period.'

I like: Programming, Gym, University
Music: House, Dubstep, D&B, Trance, Metal
A_Pickle Aug 08, 2006, 08:19pm EDT Report Abuse
They read the forums. :D

G. G. Aug 08, 2006, 08:34pm EDT Report Abuse
just like I and some others here have been trying to say..... dropping the ATI branding is not a good idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Aug 08, 2006, 08:42pm EDT Report Abuse
:|

john albrich Aug 08, 2006, 10:36pm EDT Report Abuse
To re-brand or not re-brand is a decision that will ultimately be based on highly confidential marketing and financial data to which we do not have access. It's unlikely they would be sentimental about it or swayed by petitions. It's the stockholders they have to satisfy.

It'll be interesting to see if they make the right decision.

Meats_Of_Evil Aug 08, 2006, 11:24pm EDT Report Abuse
It's great news that the Ati name will not be dropped, but will Ati still be developing that third video card that calculates physics?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I write is Sarcasm.
Dublin_Gunner Aug 09, 2006, 04:51am EDT Report Abuse
Meats of Evil, its not another card they're developing, its support for a third PCI-E gfx card (any ATI card afaik) that will merely be USED to calulate physics rather than graphics.

So you could have an x1900xt doing your physics, or 2 of them in cossfire, and say an x1600 doing the physics for you. Its an interesting concept. I believe nVidia are developing similar technology

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
jmerc Aug 09, 2006, 06:46am EDT Report Abuse
Makes one wonder what the future of the crossfire platform really looks like down the road.
pci express seems to have become more of the norm and I wonder if crossfire is destined to fail like betamax did back in the day. Believe me, I hold no favorites when it comes to nvidia or ati as I have and continue to use both brands. Just wondering if with this takeover, will crossfire fade away.

Jay

Life is too short, make the best of it!
Dublin_Gunner Aug 09, 2006, 06:58am EDT Report Abuse
I would actually imagine that crossfire will go in the other direction, and gain increased support, especially on AMD based systems.

Only time will tell. But I certainly dont see them throwing their multi GPU solution out the window.

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
FordGT90Concept Aug 09, 2006, 10:14am EDT Report Abuse
Josh
But the fact is, AMD is a processor company, not a graphics processor company.

Video cards are basically miniature motherboards designed to interface via a bus (PCI, PCIe, AGP). They got a processor, they got a PCB, and they got memory. The difference is that they are task specific.

Somb@S@n {47}
I don't care as long as they keep the 80nm R600 series. ATI has done a great job in reinventing them selves with better technology, rather than still pushing out the best of the old like Nvidia.

The R600 could be a whole lot of hype--which ATI is very good at.

john albrich
To re-brand or not re-brand is a decision that will ultimately be based on highly confidential marketing and financial data to which we do not have access. It's unlikely they would be sentimental about it or swayed by petitions. It's the stockholders they have to satisfy.

Exactly. Nothing is finalized with the buyout yet so whether the ATI/Radeon brand names will be dropped or not it TBA. I wouldn't trust any spokesman on the matter--only CEO/CFO/Investor Relations documentation. Spokesmen generally tell you what you want to hear.

jmerc Aug 09, 2006, 10:42am EDT Report Abuse
I get a feeling that we're gonna wind up with one or the other but not both pci express and crossfire sharing the market.
Similar to what happened when pci video cards gave way to agp video cards. agp became the norm and pci cards sort of died.
Then again, things have a way of changing and that may not be the case.

On another note, I have the current drivers but don't really use the CCC much. Just hated the fact that ATI was constantly updating their drivers. Had to keep a score card as a new one seems to come out every month.

Jay

Life is too short, make the best of it!

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.