Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1039 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s August 09 - 08:48am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

Say Goodbye to ATI 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
Lou Bot Aug 09, 2006, 03:58pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Say Goodbye to ATI
ALL LIES & DECEIT!!!!!!

Monday some web sites reported that AMD was going to drop the ATI brand name after the merger of both companies was complete. We put a question mark on that headline as the official word had not come from AMD directly. Now Arc Technica is reporting that AMD has released a statement denying that they will drop the ATI brand name. Here is a snip:
AMD has no plans to drop the ATi brand name or ATi's product brands. The ATi name will live on at AMD as our leading consumer brand, and so will the Radeon brand and other ATi product brands. AMD's executive management knows very well the power and value of branding, and ATi's branding is some of the most valued in the global technology industry.

http://firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=11596

And the rumors of JarJar Binks for the next ATI mascot is also a lie

MSI K8N NEO4 SLI(MS7100) BIOS3.A
AMD Opteron185 @2.86
2GB PC4000 2.5-3-3-8 2T
2xBFG 7800GTX 256MB (91.31)
2xRaptor74RAID0
Enermax EG651P-VE 24P & CS-718
"Thee BEST chip is a Dorrito Chip
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Aug 09, 2006, 07:07pm EDT Report Abuse
Now this is good news (I don't know if this was posted already):

AMD is strongly considering open-sourcing ATI Drivers
http://www.osdir.com/Article9155.phtml

If that happened, Linux would finally be able to have efficient 3D drivers for even the latest cards. :_)

Dr. Peaceful Aug 09, 2006, 07:25pm EDT Report Abuse
Alright! Cheers to open source. :_)

Mike L. Aug 09, 2006, 08:20pm EDT Report Abuse
Not only that, but we'd finally have some competent programmers out there who will finally make ATI's drivers work the way they were meant to be; properly!

FordGT90Concept Aug 09, 2006, 08:22pm EDT Report Abuse
It could also be AMD's ticket out of ATI's driver development. If AMD no longer made drivers, I think that would be an extremely bad decision. I don't know if I trust this source because AMD has more reasons to keep the device drivers closed source than make them open (ehm, we don't nVidia and Intel stealing all our ideas do we?).

Dave Aug 09, 2006, 09:22pm EDT Report Abuse
But AMD is green, and ATi is red. Does this mean the ATi red will be ditched as well? arrrghhhhhh!

AMD Radeon doesn't sounds half as good as ATi Radeon, just as ATi Athlon sounds stupid as well.

Afrow UK Aug 10, 2006, 06:01am EDT Report Abuse
We already knew it was a load of BS at the end of the second page of this darn topic lol

I like: Programming, Gym, University
Music: House, Dubstep, D&B, Trance, Metal
CrAsHnBuRnXp Aug 10, 2006, 06:30am EDT Report Abuse
Good find McFly. If that is the case, I really hope that the drivers get cleaned up a bit. I cant wait for the first series of cards to come out. Curious to know the price/performace. Pending on how well the cards go and the drivers, my next stop might be an AMD based GPU. (man that sounds weird)

Dublin_Gunner Aug 10, 2006, 07:14am EDT Report Abuse
Mike L, ATI's driver s are just fine IMO.

The only problem I have is the CCC, and thats not a driver issue, its a front end issue

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Arsey Iervasi Perfomance Junkie Extreme Aug 10, 2006, 07:52am EDT Report Abuse
"AMD is green, and ATi is red."

they could become the ultimate christmas decoration company the world has ever seen *insert evil laugh here*

Towlie: Wanna get high?
Cartman: NO!!! WE DO NOT WANT TO GET HIGH YOU STUPID TOWL!!
Lou Bot Aug 10, 2006, 08:36am EDT Report Abuse
AMD did change the ATI logo to the color (colour) green.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/7/20508123063.jpg&s=f10

MSI K8N NEO4 SLI(MS7100) BIOS3.A
AMD Opteron185 @2.86
2GB PC4000 2.5-3-3-8 2T
2xBFG 7800GTX 256MB (91.31)
2xRaptor74RAID0
Enermax EG651P-VE 24P & CS-718
"Thee BEST chip is a Dorrito Chip
Dublin_Gunner Aug 10, 2006, 08:44am EDT Report Abuse
lol

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
guru Shane Aug 10, 2006, 10:21am EDT Report Abuse
Not only that, but we'd finally have some competent programmers out there who will finally make ATI's drivers work the way they were meant to be; properly!

That reminds me of the time that my $600 x850 xt was connected to my cable box for some "live TV" recording... lol You get a little POS box for video, the video only works sometimes, the recording software works after several restarts and keyboard punches (lol threw in the punches just for stress relief), and it totally wasn't worth the $800 investment...

[sarcasm] Another great time was hooking up the PC to the HDTV. It was always pure driver-programming genius [/sarcasm] when the PC would boot up and think that the TV was the default monitor, when trying to use a dual-monitor configuration with a TV...

lol Should I go on?

FordGT90Concept Aug 10, 2006, 11:22am EDT Report Abuse
after several restarts

That's the solution for people that don't know what they are doing (time and time again with trying to run more than one display on a single machine). I had no problem recording from VIVO with Windows Movie Maker on a X800 XL.

when the PC would boot up and think that the TV was the default monitor, when trying to use a dual-monitor configuration with a TV.

It should always default to Display 0 unless there is nothing plugged into it then it finds the next best source. Apparently, it thought your TV was better than the monitors.

guru Shane Aug 10, 2006, 12:42pm EDT Report Abuse
That's the solution for people that don't know what they are doing (time and time again with trying to run more than one display on a single machine).

Actually, no, restarting is the solution for people who have properly configured everything and it still doesn't work, so you figure that restarting the machine will hopefully fix the error. On occasions, restarting did fix the problem, so it obviously was a driver issue, especially when another change would make it stop working and another restart would fix it. It was an incredible pain, but I guess you can't expect too much when you're trying to turn a VIVO card into an all-in-wonder...

It should always default to Display 0 unless there is nothing plugged into it then it finds the next best source. Apparently, it thought your TV was better than the monitors.

lol If the drivers think an HDTV is "better" than an LCD monitor that can handle small fonts, then that points directly to sucky drivers and stupid programmers.

I guess I shouldn't base my hate for ATI entirely on a card that was the best they had to offer just 6 months or so ago... I guess I should buy more in hopes of finding a real winner, that way I can have a solid foundation for my disgust... or not...

FordGT90Concept Aug 10, 2006, 04:13pm EDT Report Abuse
I never had to restart to use VIVO. If you do, it's only once after plugging the device in so it can detect it's size and refresh rate. Once it has it, it works fine. Beyond that, it's related to human error, as usual. If it ain't working the way you expect it to, call up ATI tech support. I only had to call them once and they had my problem resolved within five minutes.

Also, when working on live feeds, I've ran into problems on both nVidia and Intel chipsets as well--all in regards to automatic selection of a source. It's by no means strictly an ATI problem.

guru Shane Aug 10, 2006, 05:26pm EDT Report Abuse
What do you think their tech support would say about getting it to detect your LCD monitor instead of your HDTV? lol Unplug it? That was yet another reason for the constant restarts... Yay for restart fixes!

BTW, when you throw an HDTV and an x850 into a machine and actually make it work without tech support, then you can write about how you only had to do it once. Until then, you're trying to compare apples and oranges and can't boast on how easy it is... You should also take note that you totally avoided the fact that the drivers weren't made to adapt correctly for an HDTV and LCD dual monitor configuration. It did not matter which device was plugged into which port either, and, to make things worse, when it switched the default monitor to the HDTV, the HDTV had the LCD's resolutions and the LCD had the HDTV's resolutions... ...which also lead to more restarting... I'll also add that incorrect resolutions can damage both HDTV's and LCD monitors... Yay for ATI! err, not...

The last time I was on the phone with ATI's tech support, I was on the phone for over an hour because several of them couldn't grasp which plug on the card was for power, even when told about a 3-pin connector on the card... LOL My Arctic cooler had covered my power plug and I didn't realize it, so between that and the fact that I had never installed a video card, I was ready to slap a bunch of people for being so incredibly retarded that they couldn't figure out how to fix my problem... I ended up getting help from an online friend, so that tells you something right there about their customer service... Maybe they just transferred your question straight to the professional and skipped all of the $5/hr morons that catch the front line of questions, or perhaps your question was so easy to answer that anyone could figure it out. In case you didn't notice, I was able to figure out how to record live TV without contacting any support.

(lol I told you I could go on... I guess my one card being an invalid reason to base my complaint on just went out the window... Who in their right mind would pay to go through all of this twice?)

Chris McNally Aug 10, 2006, 06:04pm EDT Report Abuse
Let's play nicely please, people.

Regards,

Chris McNally

Moderator - Hardware Analysis
E-mail: chris@hardwareanalysis.com
FordGT90Concept Aug 10, 2006, 06:18pm EDT Report Abuse
I've had two CRT monitors, VCR video feed in, and a video feed out to tube TV all plugged in at once. Not a single problem once I got into the advanced display properties. You can never expect a graphics adaptor to select the correct feed because it can't read minds. It takes the one that's ready first.

>> Maybe they just transferred your question straight to the professional and skipped all of the $5/hr morons that catch the front line of questions

Yes they did. About 7 years ago, I was trying to get the TV-Out to work on my graphics card and it refused to work. I called up ATI and the rep refered me to an engineer straight away. He told me to plug the graphics card directly into the TV with the TV on and restart the computer because it was originally going through the VCR to the TV. It immidately worked after that. Only about five minutes as I said.

And remember, you change the HSF on the video card and you void the warranty. They, by no means, had to help you for reasons exactly like that (it was covered up by the after market cooler).

guru Shane Aug 10, 2006, 07:23pm EDT Report Abuse
And remember, you change the HSF on the video card and you void the warranty. They, by no means, had to help you for reasons exactly like that (it was covered up by the after market cooler).

lol They didn't know that part, and still couldn't figure it out. After an hour of transfers and hold times, no one was able to tell me where the power plug was located on the card and no one ever caught on that the power plug wasn't a 3-pin connector. lol I even described it as looking like a plug in for a fan on the mobo. A friend of mine, that had actually installed a PCI-e card before, was able to tell me over IM where it was. -_-

I guess I just ask questions that are too complicated, (similar to my ISP being confused as to why I didn't have my web site hosted with someone...) lol If my questions ever followed a script, I might have been happy.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.