Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1222 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 01 - 01:06pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

Mac vs. PC - New Awakening- 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
SuPeR Xp Aug 22, 2006, 10:06pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Mac vs. PC - New Awakening-
The Mac's are great, but the PC is better IMO. And with the release of Vista, the PC will keep it's title IMO. But those Mac books do look nice though.

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Gerritt Aug 22, 2006, 10:14pm EDT Report Abuse
Airman,
I don't wish to argue, but debate.
It is Darwin + BSD. Darwin being the presentation for a BSD kernel.
Is it (OSX) faster on all things, no and I never intended to claim it.
If I did, my appologies.
It (OSX) IS faster for certain applications or types of applications.
Publishing and Content generation type applications come to mind.
Given the same CPU and GPU for certain types of applications the "MAC" OS is better.
In general, the X86 platforms running MS OSs are most likely faster.
I'd like to see the X86 specific platforms running OSX AND XP just like the Apple offerings before I say that either is best for a specific operation.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
FordGT90Concept Aug 22, 2006, 10:52pm EDT Report Abuse
Macs are now PCs from the hardware standpoint. The only difference is in their layout and not conforming to any industry-wide standard such as ATX and BTX. This, however, can play into their favor by still remaining a semi-proprietary system.

The argument now between Mac and PC is Windows vs. Mac OS X which, in my opinion, is just that--opinions. Some people like all the transitions and animations of Mac OS X, some people don't. Software wise, they should perform almost identical because the hardware is the same. The difference is in the drivers. OS X computers shipped by Apple use system level firmware which pretty much means an absence of a hardware layer and allows the software to interface almost directly with the hardware. This is a downside to Windows operating systems because they had to make a layer to facilitate communication between them (aka drivers). Naturally, a Apple computer running Mac OS X should perform faster than a Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. running Windows for that very reason but, because of it, good luck swapping out one part for another part without getting a whole lot of fuss.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Aug 22, 2006, 11:19pm EDT Report Abuse
GT90, not even the other Prebuilds Conform to the ATX/BTX standard exactly, their mounting holes are propriatary along with their powersupplies.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
.:Mindful:. Aug 22, 2006, 11:35pm EDT Report Abuse

<a class= Aug 23, 2006, 12:21am EDT Report Abuse
Macs, in my opinion, are great computers for people whos mom dresses them in the morning before leaving for work. If you're the person who doesn't know how to tie a shoe, buy a mac.

A_Pickle Aug 23, 2006, 12:31am EDT Report Abuse
[/quote]

[quote]I like Macs because I am a artsy person.

This statement is almost an insult to us artsy people who use PC's because,

1.) Some content creation software is only available on the PC (3D Studio Max), and...

2.) It follows the same idiosyncratic dogma that Mac users have been preaching (in a literal sense) for years, despite the fact that artistic philosophy stands wholly against it. The paintbrush does not make the painting, the artist does. In case you were wondering, the "paintbrush" in that metaphor was the computer.

I like PC's because they cost less for the same thing. I don't understand people's dogma against Dell, because Apple and Dell get their computers from the same damn people. Laptops from Quanta, and monitors from Samsung. Apple also deserved some respect as an innovative company, but in light of WWDC 2006 I'm somewhat disinclined to pay for such "innovation" (read: hypocrisy).

I also like PC's because you can run a plethora of different operating systems on them, and there's a PC for everyone thanks to the thousands of people that make PC's. If you want, you can make your own PC (as many here have done), and you can build it fast to modern standards. You can build a Mac from the ground up, but this usually entails buying used parts from online retailers, and then it's not entirely legal to install Mac OS X on some jury-rigged G4 box that cost $700 to build anyways. I can safely say, however, that the Windows XP on my ex-Compaq-thing is legal, and that that computer cost me a grand total of $166 to date and would eat a couple of G4's for an appetizer, and it makes a damn good secondary computer for the computer-less at LAN parties. Runs Unreal Tournament 2004, Windows Vista and Half-Life 2 Deathmatch like a champ.

There are so many PC's out there, it's fantastic. My sister wants a laptop that she can hold in one hand, like the Toshiba Libretto with a 7.2" screen. My mother would like a mobile media center laptop with a big screen, so the Dell E1705 would be a good solution, but the much-lighter 17" Averatec 7100 would fit her much better. Will a USB DVD+/-RW burner work on a Windows 98 box as well as it would on a Mac OS X 10.2.8 box? No, it would actually run on the Windows 98 box, but we needed Mac OS X 10.3.9 or higher (uhh... 10.4 -- Tiger -- $129.00) in order to get a LaCie DVD+/-RW burner working. That's just one horror story I experienced in a one hour period of time. Yes, one hour. Case in point, I will not buy a Mac because I don't particularly feel my experience has coincided with that of Apple's marketing department, and because I... just... hate... fanboys (read: people with huge mouths and lengthy assertations lacking evidence and exposition entirely).

Anyways, I haven't time to debate this. I have to finish up ordering a Dell Inspiron. Check ya laterz.

FordGT90Concept Aug 23, 2006, 01:05am EDT Report Abuse
>> GT90, not even the other Prebuilds Conform to the ATX/BTX standard exactly, their mounting holes are propriatary along with their powersupplies.

ATX mostly applies to power supply and motherboards. Every OEM computer that I have seen since about 1997 conforms to the standard (mounting holes, general CPU location, on-board I/O connectors, on-board headers closer to the location they are likely to be used, etc.). If you look at the specifications, most OEM computers match up quite well:

http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/atx2_2.pdf

TheDuke Aug 23, 2006, 03:40am EDT Report Abuse
Good call on all of you PC fanboys who still live with your mother. If your biggest kick of the day is calling some Mac user a dumbass, then kudos to you.

For all of you that do not live with your mother and celebrate debate using grown up words and using things like this big word "respect", I steal the kudos from the dumbass PC fanboys (noted above, not a blanket statement saying all PC fanboys are dumbasses as I myself am a avid PC user ) and give them to you.

Both sides in this ever going Mac PC war have good things going for them. For those of you that are into serious gaming and certain windows programs, you like windows because it gives you what you want. For those Mac users, it is a superb base for Photoshop, music editing ( I myself own a G5 something or other for music editing) and web development.

Certain statements are not true and you can tell that when someone uses them they are a complete dumbass and probably still live with thier mother. They are as follows.

-> All Mac users are gay
This is not true. Just because you think that the Mac interface might look gay, or the Mac is perfect for stuff you think is gay, does not mean anyone that uses one is gay. So stop being an immature idiot and please refrain from making that statement.

-> Mac is only for artsy fartsy stuff
Again, another idiot remark. The Mac OS is used for far more than just "artsy fartsy" stuff. Again, if you feel yourself wanting to say this, kindly take your foot, and shove it in your mouth.

Please people, your immaturity is clouding up this debate, I suggest you take your crybaby ignorant opinions (for those of you that have already forgotten what this entails, "macs are gay" counts as one) and take them to your mommy. We do not want you here. If on the otherhand you have a researched opinion that you will standby and not criticize others for theirs, we welcome you with open arms.

*edit* For the person that screwed up the quote brackets, screwing that up pretty much nullified all those really big words you used in your post to try and impress everyone, again a very good call. Also
I like macs because I am an artsy person
IS NOT A STATEMENT. IT IS AN OPINION. You are an idiot.

Athlon 64x2 4400
BFG 7950x2 1GB
2gb ( 2x1gb) Patriot high speed memory
2 / 250gb in RAID
DFI LAN
Creative X-Fi
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Aug 23, 2006, 04:35am EDT Report Abuse
Ya i own a beige Box ATM, its a Old Antec Steel SOHO Mid Tower, it is now housing some nice hardware and cosmetic effects, Next Modifications will be to cut part of the Door and put a Plexiglass Window in with 2 120 MM Antec TriCool 120 Fans in the side and a Twin Tri Cool at the top of the case. Im gonna push the system to its limit.

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Aug 23, 2006, 04:37am EDT Report Abuse
Drawback to Mac, When a Mac Breaks, they break hard.

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
FordGT90Concept Aug 23, 2006, 04:40am EDT Report Abuse
As far as I'm concerned, Apple is now just another OEM with one unique tribute: they also produce an operating system. The only area where they now differ greatly is the operating system. So, it all comes down to opinion, nothing more. For instance, some people like to click and drag a CD into their applications folder to install. Well, that's just great for them. I prefer not having ten copies of a single file on a computer just because Apple didn't learn how to share yet. In any case, that's my opinion--as are most of the differences between the two.

This argument is rather quite unfounded any more because they aren't near as different as they used to be especially in regards to endianness, which drove a huge wedge between Apple and IBM PC compatible computers.

>> Drawback to Mac, When a Mac Breaks, they break hard.

That also is old news from back when everything was built into the motherboard. Now, it is very likely that Intel will push the BTX standard on Apple. The Mac Pro already looks very, very similar to one built on BTX standards.

A_Pickle Aug 23, 2006, 05:56am EDT Report Abuse
For those Mac users, it is a superb base for Photoshop, music editing ( I myself own a G5 something or other for music editing) and web development.

Surprisingly enough, Adobe makes Photoshop for the Windows crowd too, and many music editing companies put their software out for the Windows platform as well. This is an irrelevant claim, and is a strength not only relegated to the Macintosh platform, but to the Windows platform as well, giving neither a true upper hand.

Perhaps if you had ready a researched, thought-out opinion rather than criticizing others for theirs, you'd have known that a more relevant strength of the Mac is it's security, which not only comes from it's obscurity, but also because of a well-engineered shell around the permissions-based access that Unix is famous for.

For the person that screwed up the quote brackets, screwing that up pretty much nullified all those really big words you used in your post to try and impress everyone, again a very good call.

For the person who thinks I type like that to try and impress everyone, I implore that you read my other posts across topics on this site. Since you seem to inclined to point out my forum coding mistakes rather than reading my relevant and honest experiences and opinions regarding the differences between the Windows platform and the Mac platform, I think I'll return the favor by pointing out that in paragraph four, line one of your post, you misspelled the word "their." I might also add that your post is replete with terms such as "crybaby," "mommy," and "fartsy," highly contradicting the statement you make in your second paragraph, quoted below:

For all of you that do not live with your mother and celebrate debate using grown up words and using things like this big word "respect", I steal the kudos from the dumbass PC fanboys (noted above, not a blanket statement saying all PC fanboys are dumbasses as I myself am a avid PC user ) and give them to you.

Perhaps you should consider striking at people worth striking at, rather than "the person that screwed up the quote brackets," as a forum code mistake has no impact on the meaning and composure of my statement. Contradicting yourself orally, however, does seem to detract from one's credibility. A word of advice if you'd like to take it: Don't contradict yourself, because that actually will nullify your argument.

Finally, I entertain you to read my other posts on the forum. I did not write my above post in the fashion that I did so as "to impress everyone." This is how I type. If you get off on criticizing people how they type, expect rebuttals such as this, especially when you call them out.

Lou Bot Aug 23, 2006, 07:34am EDT Report Abuse
Speaking of complete dumba55e5 who probably still live with thier mother. Has anyone watched the movie "Grandma's Boy"? It's about a gamer tester/programmer who ends up living with his grandma and all of the crap he has to deal with at work. It's funny as heck and right up a computer-enuthist alley.

MSI K8N NEO4 SLI(MS7100) BIOS3.A
AMD Opteron185 @2.86
2GB PC4000 2.5-3-3-8 2T
2xBFG 7800GTX 256MB (91.31)
2xRaptor74RAID0
Enermax EG651P-VE 24P & CS-718
"Thee BEST chip is a Dorrito Chip
richard williams Aug 23, 2006, 08:46am EDT Report Abuse
All I can say on the matter is that I once had a mac and it was the most reliable computer I ever owned. Any of the PCs I have owned have not lasted nearly as long or worked as reliably. The mac was admittedly slower than a powerful PC, and had far less software support and audience, but when they work, boy do they work well. I would personally rather use a PC, although about the mac/intel thing I think it is a good thing as it will help to stir up some more competition and also make mac computers more desirable to people with its capability to run windows and also lower its prices.
When it comes to the argument of which is better to run certain software, while macs might be better for photo-editing and music editing and such, I find that since the same software is just as fast and also available for PCs, I will stick to a PC, considering it typically will also run all the games I like to run and other software whereas older maxs (powerpc) don't.

By the way, can I just say "TheDuke" is an idiot, because nowhere did anyone say
"macs is only for artsy stuff" or "all mac users are gay".

The quotes were "macs look gay" and "I use a mac because I'm an artsy person". As offensive as these comments appear, at least bother to quote them correctly before judging people OK? BTW "duke", you still like with your mom? Also what the hell would their comments have to do with where they live or who with? Judgemental people like you lose in the end, so be careful.

----------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2GHz
2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-667 PC5300 SDRAM
ASUS M2N4-SLi mainboard
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 250GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 1GB
Sony DVD-RAM drive
550W PSU
Beavis Khan Aug 23, 2006, 09:46am EDT Report Abuse
Screw Macs, I want a Vista PC

http://www.seewindowsvista.com/

Because, you know, you couldn't possibly do any of the things listed on that site on any other operating system ;)

____
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

- H.L. Mencken
Adam Kolak Aug 23, 2006, 10:00am EDT Report Abuse
The company my mother use to work for had people hand paint designs for area rugs/carpets up untill about the mid-90s where they switched to doing some things on a Mac and some things still done by hand. My mother was slowly by slowly getting her job replaced by younger people who knew how to use a Mac and the applications they used (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.). My mother had never used a Mac and didn't know how to use any of those applications so eventually she was layed off. About 5 years ago the company switched over to Windows PCs and QuarkXPress. QuarkXPress was also available on Mac back then, but the company wanted to use Windows PCs. So thier are artsy fartsy people who use PCs too.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Reason Aug 23, 2006, 10:13am EDT Report Abuse

Hey cool, it looks like xgl/compiz!

OSX is fine once you get used to it. I think Macs have been overpriced, but Apple did a good job of marketing their product. It's the little things for me - I hate no second mouse button, or scroll wheel, or 4th and 5th buttons. On the other hand, the CD eject key right there on the keyboard sure is nice, as is the volume control that comes standard.

I think some people helped this thread get pretty stupid. Why all the animosity towards Macs? My personal experience with them was negative until I learned to use OSX a bit, and then it got considerably more positive. So I must conclude that the outright disdain I see (as compared with reasoned preference for PCs) is simply a result of ignorance.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and let them think you a fool, then to open it and remove all doubt."

.:Mindful:. Aug 23, 2006, 02:50pm EDT Report Abuse
Thank you for your knowledge (or lack of) in the debate. I do realize that some of you are bashing Macs without ever trying them. Heck, I've only used a Mac once or twice. This is because my friend owned a nice little PowerBook that I really liked. It was a nice laptop which looked cool and the Mac OS wasn't too bad. I had a tough time coping with the OS... but, boy, was it a beautiful system that ran fast.

I really like PCs. They're pretty nice. But I've owned PCs all my life and now that I know alot about them... I want to try a Mac. Something new, something different. Its not that a PC isn't good enough, or a Mac is better. They're just different. And thats what its all about. Neither one is better than the other. They're just different. I mean, look at humans. I'm not better than you. Your not any worse than me. We're just different. Thats all it is. And I want to try something different. I've used Linux, I've used Windows, but whats missing? Mac OS X. Bring it on, I'm ready to try.

Thanks for being thoughtful and sharing you horror stories (or just griping because you can).

Kind Regards,
Miles

Adam Kolak Aug 23, 2006, 03:01pm EDT Report Abuse
Go ahead try a Mac. Report back here.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.