Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1429 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 07 - 08:20pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

Mac vs. PC - New Awakening- 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4
Adam Kolak Aug 24, 2006, 10:31am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Mac vs. PC - New Awakening-
With Mac OS X on my comp, I had problems with my Creative Live 5.1! sound card also. Also had problems with getting the damn Nvidia for Mac drivers to install. Also had lots of other little problems because my CPU is not SSE3 compliant.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
.:Mindful:. Aug 25, 2006, 03:32pm EDT Report Abuse
Sorry. Did I say G5? I meant Mac Pro. Hehe. Lemme give you specs.

Mac Pro:

* Two 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
* 2GB (4 x 512MB)
* 250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
* NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI)
* One 16x SuperDrive
* Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse
* Mac OS X

$5,500 (tax included)

Sounds pretty sweet. Considering the Quadro card... and the dual 3ghz Woodcrest Proccessors... and 2gigs of hearty ram. Flippin sweet.

Kind Regards,
Miles

SombaSan Aug 25, 2006, 03:44pm EDT Report Abuse
macs been doing great lately i might pick me one up.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM
"The Best Intel Chip is an AMD"
Adam Kolak Aug 25, 2006, 05:55pm EDT Report Abuse
The X1900XT option is faster in games. The Quadro is only for professional rendering stuff, otherwise get the X1900XT and save the money. The rest of the specs on that MacPro look good to me, although you can drop down to Dual 2.66Ghz to save money.

Oh, and make sure you have a copy of XP (or 2000Pro, if your not using BootCamp) to stick on thier if you get sick of using OS X and want to fall back to Windows. Be careful though, C|NET had some problems with Windows XP on the MacPro: http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6630672.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
.:Mindful:. Aug 25, 2006, 06:16pm EDT Report Abuse
Might have to end up spending 6 grand on it. Recommended for best workstation performance is the following specs:

* Two 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
* 4GB (4 x 1GB)
* 250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
* NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI)
* Two 16x SuperDrives
* Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
* Mac OS X - U.S. English

I am just *fantasizing* about getting this. It is almost *positively* NOT going to happen. Unless I can get some type of funding for people my age... who do what I like to do. But thats not really going to happen, so I might as well just dream about it while I surf the Apple website and drool all over my crappy 800mhz piece of crap I'm using. Check my profile for the whole ... issue.

Unless I can do the whole "Help Me Get a Mac Pro" type deal. Except I CAN NOT blow anything up and I can't destroy anything for the entertainment of my users.

I wish I could do this... but its not possible and I know that. There is no point in trying... unless some miracle suggestion comes along. Or an idea pops into my mind. Who would fund someone my age? I wish it was possible. I wish.

Kind Regards,
Miles

*** Any ideas pop into your head... freaking let me know ***

Gerritt Aug 26, 2006, 04:15pm EDT Report Abuse
GT90,

Insofar as the OS X support on a "Windows" platform, thats a slight misnomer. It's OS X support on a Wintel or X86 standard platform, or more apprapros, non-Apple approved Intel based platform.

In the case of the speed differential that MAY (I put that in to keep the flames to a minimum) value the Apple/Intel platform over the industry's default standard MS/X86 platforms, we have to keep in mind the Apple solutions are capable of supporting HW without the additional overhead of the MS HAL (Hardware Access Layer) interface, but this also limits the HW that is easily usable to the OS.

If Apple needs to incorporate HAL into thier code for support (they'll most likely license the code from MS) of multiple HW implementations, this could bring their performance/efficiency down from where it is right now.

To the others that mentioned that publishing and content generation tools exist on the PC and or both the PC and MACOS platforms, please keep in mind that some of the "best of crop" in these areas; for years and years; have been on the Macintosh platforms, and have been ported to the "PC". It has been shown in test after test that ported or emulated applications do not work as well as applications native to a specific platform....for the most part.

Both OSs have areas where they shine. Oddly, based upon the latest marketing blitz it seems that Apple is saying you can do "your" thing by using our packaged (Apple) software, while if you use a PC you have to add software of "your" choice to do what "you" want. All I can say to that is I've rarely found that anyone's preconceived notions of what "I" want to do to be very close to what I actually do.

BTW, the old "Smack'n'Toss" name came from the chassis openning operation for the original Macs. You had to SMACK both sides of the case, and pull backwards at the same time to open the chassis.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.