Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1381 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 28 - 06:34am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

PC Gaming... 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
Adam Kolak Nov 12, 2006, 07:58pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: PC Gaming...
What games are you having troubles with running at 1600x1200?

My bro's PC runs almost every game out maxed at 1280x1024 (he's got a 19" LCD so he can't go higher). He's got a 3000+ and a Radeon X1800XT 512 with no overclocking on anything.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
mothow Nov 12, 2006, 08:03pm EST Report Abuse
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7505/rrrve0.jpg

I know if my 2x6800s (no OC)can get 100fps in BF2 your 7800GTX's will.

ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 / i7 4790K / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer DDR3 1600 / 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black / 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD / 2x Evga GTX 670 FTW 2GB in SLI / Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty / Corsair HX1000w
TamTheBam Nov 12, 2006, 08:05pm EST Report Abuse

I run all my games at 1600x1200 and they play very good. I'm just not getting my moneys
worth as soon SHADER 4 technology will be out, and Vista, and DX10 cards. More
upgrades and more money IF i wanna carry on the serious gaming that I like.
Splinter Cell Double Agent runs pish on my system if i wanna use Next Gen settings, etc.
I'm a graphics snob and i'm proud to admit, therefor I'd have to have a serious amount
of "spare" cash to fund my fix!
My point being that if i'd a ps3 or 360 for example, i'd have no need to keep up with
the upgrading, etc.Where as if i do stick with my pc, i'm gonna fork out a serious amount
of cash for the "serious quality" gaming that I like.

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
TamTheBam Nov 12, 2006, 08:07pm EST Report Abuse
My BF2 runs sweet too, al the games from last year up to say last few months will
and do run sweet, I'm just pointing out that for well over 2Gs, my PC lifespan will be
outdone by a PS3 which's less than a 1/4 of the price i paid for my hardware

I must stress that whilst PC gaming, i will not even attempt a res of less than 1600x1200.
It'll be a waste of money on both the 7800GTX's i'd bought.

Adam Kolak Nov 12, 2006, 08:12pm EST Report Abuse
Go back to 2004 and look at PS2 and Xbox compared to PC games. The PC games blew them away. After I got my Geforce 6800 I couldn't even deal with the poor quality of PS2 and Gamecube graphics (probably Xbox too, but I don't own Xbox). PS3 will get outdated sooner than you think.

Adam Kolak
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
TamTheBam Nov 12, 2006, 08:18pm EST Report Abuse
Agreed, but i'm not gonna have to worry about upgrading all the time to play the
latest releases

CrAsHnBuRnXp Nov 12, 2006, 08:19pm EST Report Abuse
Water Drop said:
At what resolution?

1280x1024. Thats the max on my monitor.

Adam Kolak Nov 12, 2006, 08:29pm EST Report Abuse
Agreed, but i'm not gonna have to worry about upgrading all the time to play the
latest releases

You may when you realize that same game looks amazingly better on PC.

Adam Kolak
AlanOne Nov 13, 2006, 04:21am EST Report Abuse
This is a message for Tam,

Only those who go over to the Dark Side forsake their PC's in favor for a console.

Same on you.

XP Pro SP3
Intel Core 2 Quad q6600 (stock)
MSI 680i mobo w/onboard X-fi
9800 GTX+
2GB Patriot 8500 5-5-5-15
1X Western Digital 500 GB HD SATAII
2X Western Digital 250 GB HD SATAII
CoolerMaster Stacker 830
BoT Nov 13, 2006, 01:14pm EST Report Abuse
i agree with tam. the hype about upgrading for new games is really crazy. on the other hand there have also been valueable arguments been made in favor of the pc.
what i don't understand is, why are the very same console games are so much more demanding on a pc? the ps3 is supposed to be so much better then the ps2 and everything else out there but reading this article
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4908
you can see the it merely uses one 7800, looks like a gtx, oc'd. the cell processor is great but could not hold water with a c2d or even any of the fx's, take even the fx-57. i even doubt it coulld outperform the x2-3800. really, the playstation would barly be vista ready, no way optimized. so what's gonna happen to the games that come out for pc, that require dx10, will they run on the ps3? how does it support dx10 on the g70 graphics engine and i have to go out and buy a 600-700 dollar card to do that.
just for the price of the card you can get a ps3 and have a blue ray player included which would otherwise set you back another 500-1000 bucks, easy.

if i would mainly be gaming, no doubt that i would drop a pc for a ps3 anyday.
however, i do not only play with it and i am hardly up on the latest when it comes to games.

You can either be part of the problem or be part of the solution.
Codisha - http://www.codisha.com
Reviews - http://www.codisha.com/reviews/reviews.htm
Mike L. Nov 13, 2006, 01:33pm EST Report Abuse
You can't compare a PC to a console, it's impossible; not to mention the internals as well. Look at the PS2 ... 233MHz processor, 32MB of RAM and absolutely no form of storage whatsoever. XBOX (the first one) resembles a PC more accurately. PIII 733MHz processor, 256MB SD-RAM, 8GB HDD. Yet the games we play on them can hold thier ground next to a top of the line PC anyday. Consoles are builty differently, they're made in such a way that future games won't have to rely on upgrades like PCs do, they're all coded especially to work on that platform. The only game that I've seen my PS2 struggle with only slightly was this wrestling game that my brother plays on it ... I think it's called WWF: Smackdown (2?) or something.

A_Pickle Nov 13, 2006, 01:36pm EST Report Abuse
I guess I really don't understand. Who actually upgrades their PC according to the demands of games? I mean, yes, that could get expensive if you demand eye-candy from everything, but that's not what I do. I upgrade or buy a new PC according to my overall needs, or when something really cool comes out (like the Core 2 Duo). Total PC replacement occurs roughly every three years for me, and I'm content with that, as I get so much more out of it.

The communal feel of console gaming, in my opinion, is tripled when you're at a LAN party. LAN parties are so much more immersive, in that you get your own screen, name and everything. With consoles, I sit next to a bunch of people, focusing in on a tiny box in the upper right-hand corner of the screen that is me. It's sad, it's difficult... and it's blurry. On top of that, it's nowhere near as fast paced, thanks to the joystick control style. I suppose that's also why I dislike consoles, is because I'm not very good, and inevitably there's a Halo athlete playing with me.

I won't say I hate consoles, because I don't. I don't think I'll ever buy a console like an Xbox360 or a PlayStation 3, because I've got my PC. Mobile consoles are what are attractive to me, but even still, I haven't touched my GBA in a long time. Still, consoles are a really great way to get a fantastic gaming experience for relatively low cost. That's more true now than it has ever been, what with all of the media-centric additions to consoles and with the advent of HD gaming, despite the fact that PC users are accustomed to resolutions that are generally higher than those achieved even by today's consoles. Most games today will run on Xbox360 or the PlayStation 3 at 720p, which is a resolution of 1280x720. Most people I know play games at 1280x1024 really easily, I know I did on my old Dell desktop, which had a Pentium 4, 2 GB of memory, and an X800 XL. I even played FEAR at 1280x1024.

Then there's hardware horsepower. PC's lost the lead when the Xbox360 came out, but since Radeon X1900's and Geforce 7900's came out very shortly after, they didn't lose it for very long. The PlayStation 3, unfortunately, never took the lead from the PC, given that Kentsfield and G80 launched days before it did. I can guarantee you, a Kentsfield + G80'd computer would whip a PlayStation 3 into utter submission. Yes, I know... that's ridiculous and expensive, but in two years it won't be. In two years, it'll be dirt cheap. The original Xbox launched on par with PC hardware, and two years later, a friend of mine picked up his PC for $600, and it would beat the Xbox into utter submission. Hell, it's able to play some PC ports of Xbox360 games.

I'm not trying to change your decision, simply providing my feedback on the matter. My Inspiron E1705 has been a miracle for my PC gaming experience, I've had some darn good times with this laptop.

Yours Truly Nov 13, 2006, 01:41pm EST Report Abuse
BTW, I gota XBox 360 only because my son was subjected to peer pressure from his school friends. All along, the XBox360 couldn't hold a candle against my son's PC, much less *my* PC. I will probably buy a PS3 as well because what young teen wouldn't want to tell his friends he has the latest gizmo. Nevertheless, its no more than a toy and again the PC will decimate the PS3. Pity you can't open Excel files on a PS3.

Well, PCs are expensive. I'm sure the original inventors of the PC (Watson, et al) did not envision the machines being used for unproductive gaming.

Dublin_Gunner Nov 13, 2006, 01:45pm EST Report Abuse
You're all missing the fundamental point here.

PC games must look great & play great, on a multitide of platforms, different vid cards, different processors, amounts of ram etc etc.

Console = 1 platform, applications can be specifically designed for that platform, so get the max performance everytime.

ALso, couple of other points. Someone mentioned FPS on a console, well sorry buddy, considering they're designed to work via TV's, you're never getting more than about 30fps (or whatever the PAL etc specs call for)

Also, Tam, you act as if you're disappointed, yet you say you wish to play every game at 16x12 with good FPS.

Good luck to finding a console with a 16x12 reso m8. (without having to spend $1k+ or so on a decent HDTV so the games will even look remotely decent via Xbox 360 & PS3)

While I dont entirely disagree with you, you act like you want your PC to play as if you're a hard core gamer, yet complain about the costs involved.

I can guarantee a 7800gtx should play every current game at 12x10 at least, with good quality gfx settings, so I dont know why you're annoyed, maybe just because not every game will run fine @ 16x12??

And the point about game devs taking the p**s or whatever. Come on, they're in a business here, so they have to try make their games look better than the next company's games. So that means making it look as good as possible, with physics and high quality gfx etc.

Sure, the game wont run like that on every machine.

But look at it from a different perspective. Say you got your shiny new x1900xtx or whatever card that you spent a good bit on, only to realise that none of your games (not even brand new ones) look or play any better than they would on a 6600 or something, wouldnt you be pi$$ed then too?

No pleasing some people, really.

Turn some settings down and stop moaning.

Or indeed, ditch the PC and go for a lame console, where all the games will look exactly the same for the next 5 years

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Yours Truly Nov 13, 2006, 02:44pm EST Report Abuse
Simple. Go install the original Unreal. Now install Unreal Tournament 7. Dittos for Quake and Quake 4. See the difference? Would you rather have a 400 fps machine running original Quake or a 50 fps machine running next generation Quake 5.

Hey, I enjoyed myself playing the original Wolf 3D. However, I much rather play RTCW :) I'm looking forward to Crysis, although I enjoyed Far Cry.

Its just the cost of PC gaming. I play my games at ridiculous resolutions. If the machine stutters, I upgrade my machine (and yes, it does stutter at high AA levels).

We can either live with it, or give up the hobby.

Another thing. My XBox360 can get hooked up to a 1080p large screen plasma that costs more than twelve times the price of the XBox lol. It still looks inferior to the PC.

TamTheBam Nov 13, 2006, 02:47pm EST Report Abuse

See that's my problem. I like PC games, and you're right Dubin you get better resoultion
out of it, and that's my problem. I'm a hardware junkie. Yes i'm having a moan, and yes
I admit I'm a graphics snob. I've got my eyes set on the 8800 ALREADY. I want two
of em! This's my problem as every new hardware that comes out, I WANT IT. I want all
my games to run blisteringly fast and smooth. I want no slow down, and i want
FPS thatgoes thru the roof (am i asking to much here lol). For me to have this, I have
to sacrifice my social life for a start, work more OT at work, etc, etc to keep up with
this. I'm one of those ppl that's NOT got to have it first but just WANTS it.
This leads me to my dilema. If i continue this, I'm gonna continue being like this
for as long as I'm inlvolved with PC's and looking for more money (signs of serious
addiction problems haha - keep your wallets well hidden lol) to feed my habbit and get
my fix. Some of you are ok with what you have, and happy playing at the settings you like,
but there's others like me who want it bigger and better.
I know that if i move back to consoles, i can handle the same format for x amount of
years, as i know i won't have to upgrade. I also don't like the multiplayer on TV too,
but still i've had many laughs playin it.
If i was a millionaire, obviously I'd not be writting this, I'd be bragging about this months
rig i have, and what i plan to do next lol. I just think to the hardware that's Creme da le Creme costs and arm and a leg just now to get it running the way i want it.
What else p**ses me off, is that I have 2x 7800 GTX's that I could sell (not even a year
old and the have depreciated rapidly) and not have enough to buy the latest 8800 card.
Life's a biatch innint?!!!!

Tam...

Yours Truly Nov 13, 2006, 02:59pm EST Report Abuse
You like to see the list of hardware I have bought over the last twelve months to keep up with my taste for computer gaming?

If you have the means, then go buy 8800GTX SLI. If you have a couple of kids to feed, then they ought to come first. Just align your priorities with the resources you have.

TamTheBam Nov 13, 2006, 03:01pm EST Report Abuse

Show me dude lol!
I can look after my kid and she gets what she wants. It's just i have to sacrifice
the stuff i like lol

Yours Truly Nov 13, 2006, 03:09pm EST Report Abuse
OK.

This is November 2006. Let's see.

Venice 3200 --> Toledo 4400 --> Toledo FX60 --> Windsor FX62 --> Kentsfield QX6700
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe --> Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe --> Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe --> Asus Striker Extreme
7800 GT SLI --> 7900 GTX SLI --> 7950 GX2 Quad SLI --> 8800 GTX SLI
Sony 23 inch --> Dell 24097 WFP --> Dell 3007 WFP --> Double Dell 3007 WFP
Corsair XMS --> Corsair XMS Pro --> OCZ Titanium --> Corsair Dominator

That's *just* the gaming machine. And that's without the case, HDDs, etc etc. You just do the math. Oh BTW, don't think that I sold anything to buy the next thing.

So, don't come crying to me about the cost of upgrading lol :)

And this is downright cheap compared to the wife lol :)

Nov 13, 2006, 03:31pm EST Report Abuse
In the last year for me...

Venice 3200 -> Venice 3200
X800GTO -> X800GTO
DFI nF4 Ultra-D -> DFI nF4 Ultra-D
2GB G.SKILL DDR500 -> 2GB G.SKILL DDR500

:|

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.