Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 945 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 20 - 04:52am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

PC Gaming... 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
Adam Kolak Nov 13, 2006, 03:50pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: PC Gaming...
I haven't upgraded anything but my monitor in the last two years but I can still play most games out at high settings there except for the latest games such as Splinter Cell 4, Oblivion, and a few others.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
TamTheBam Nov 13, 2006, 04:12pm EST Report Abuse

Yea I can play nearly all games at 1600x1200 high settings, but i'm on about how
very soon i'm gonna need more possibly a complete upgrade if iu wanna go DX10
and Vista

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
mothow Nov 13, 2006, 04:26pm EST Report Abuse
shit in the last year 3 mobo's 4 cpu's 3 sets of ram and 3 video cards and 3 cases

ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 / i7 4790K / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer DDR3 1600 / 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black / 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD / 2x Evga GTX 670 FTW 2GB in SLI / Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty / Corsair HX1000w
TamTheBam Nov 13, 2006, 04:57pm EST Report Abuse

Fair play to ya, but I'm on about buying the "just out" NextGen hardware! You know
all the latest top of the range... this's my problem lol :blush:

Scumbag Blues Nov 13, 2006, 05:35pm EST Report Abuse
Wow, some of you make me feel so poor. :(

In the last twelve months, I've only spent like $1500 CDN on PCs. That's like a fraction of what Yours Truly spent on just upgrading once.

:X

~

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB | XFX Radeon HD 6950
Dublin_Gunner Nov 14, 2006, 07:05am EST Report Abuse
Hmm, havent spent too much this year.
7600gt & x1800xt 512
X2 3800+ & E6400
2gb OCZ Plat & 2gb Team Xtreem dr2-800 D9GMH
DFI Ultra-d & Gigabyte DS3 (which got sent back)

SO not too much, but enough for a decent overclocked machine

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Zero Nov 14, 2006, 09:14am EST Report Abuse
Let me remember...mmm...
yeah..I used to have a Savage 4 32MB card with P4 @ 1.6 GHz along with 256MB of RD-RAM.
If you ask me, that was just fine. I used to play games with no
compliants...I didn't ask for eye candy back then.

Now I have this beautiful system, I can play any game at high setting with
nice FPS. My favorite resolution is 1027x768. I know it is not favored
by many of you...but it works just fine for me. I played CoD2 a few months
back with full eye candy including AA and AF (no OC). I had lag at one part only..
I don't remember exactly well...it was smooth for the rest of the game. I am happy!
(I tell you...eye candy is like drugs...don't get addicted)

I agree that the game industry is moving too fast and they offer irreasonably
expensive hardware every few months. BUT, you don't have to follow up with it.
Just buy what satisfies you...and you are the winner.

I remember this guy on one of the forums. He had 4 x 7900GTXs in QUAD setup.
That's crazy if you ask me. Even worse, he was looking after 2 x 8800GTX.
A setup like that would be great for at least 5 years. The only upgrade
that would possibly be needed is the Processor.

I might think about upgrading my video card when my card performance drops
to play only at medium settings. Also, I want to point to the heat issue.
I am really having a hard time to keep my card and processor cool enough.
It is getting crazy with the heat and there is no proper air-cooling solution.

Eyecandy is really great and worth the money...but don't get addicted
and spend wisely.

I don't know a lot about DX10. I have only one concern, Do I have to buy a DX10
card to play new games? Does this mean that companies will not support DX9
any more?

I hope somebody would clarify it for me about DX10.

Thank you,
bye...for now.

-------
Intel Core i7-2600K.
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 285
4 X 4 GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
2 X WD 320GB @ 7200 RPM
2 X WD Green Power 1TB
2 X WD Green Power 2TB
OCZ GameXstream 850W
randy sinang Nov 14, 2006, 09:24am EST Report Abuse
That's the business of PC gaming. New games, better visuals, higher PC requirements.... and new business opportunities. hehe...

El Nov 14, 2006, 09:45am EST Report Abuse
No one has really mentioned the great difference in game release trends between PC and the consoles. Have you walked into Best Buy lately? PC gaming feels like it's on the way OUT... while console games have huge displays and whenever there's a new hot game released, they've got a wall of it in stock. Guess what, they will sell that wall of console games, but NEVER would they if they stocked that many of a PC title. Console games just saw COD3 released, no mention of that one on PC. the 360 just got Gears of War while UT2007 just got PUSHED - probably won't see that one until next Christmas. I haven't had the desire for a new PC game in months because there's simply nothing I want to play. BF2142 and SC: Double Agent? I'll pass. I'll be waiting months before Crysis, which is the ONLY game in the foreseeable future that I care about. And you KNOW it won't take long before 360 and PS3 versions will be released.
My point is: developers more and more are leaning towards consoles because that's where the mainstream is. Game development on a PC is so much more of a pain and the returns are getting worse and worse. I love PC gaming, but I don't hold out much hope for its future.
Jared
P.S. The cure for PC woes: Nintendo Wii!!!

Dublin_Gunner Nov 14, 2006, 11:48am EST Report Abuse
To whoever asked, DX9 will be supported by ALL new games, even DX10 titles for the next while. If not, they wouldnt sell too many, as, yes, you need a DX10 card to play a DX10 title, and Vista. So most games will have a DX9 codepath built in for backwards compatibility.

The reason you will always see more console titles than PC games is simple.

Every 6 year old + can have a PS2 or Xbox etc, just throw the game in and it works. You wont see all that many youngsters with a PC, especially not one capable of playing the latest and greatest titles. So there IS a bigger market base for console gaming than PC gaming.

Does it mean PC gaming is on the way out???? Hell no!

Console gaming = family saloon
PC Gaming = Bentley

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Scumbag Blues Nov 14, 2006, 07:49pm EST Report Abuse
It's also unfair to compare consoles to PCs particularly in gaming because when one thinks of a game console, you immediately think of gaming and maybe some multimedia functions. When you say PC, you open a whole new world of functionality. PCs aren't just gaming tools although they can be very good gaming tools. I also agree with what DublinGunner had to say.

Personally, I don't think the 360 or PS3 will become outdated quickly. Some of you feel that way and I understand but think about the Gamecube. It had wonderful looking games like Pikmin 2, and Resident Evil 4 but it had a graphics card equivalent to that of an ATi Radeon 7000. It's because that video card is optimized for gaming. If you take a 7800GTX and optimize further for gaming and fine tune it, it will look great for years to come not to mention when coders get a hang of the coding and make some intricate games that still function well.

However, I think one more reason why PC gaming is far more demanding money-wise is that one can't upgrade a PS3 or Xbox 360 while you can with a PC. It's also not very profitable either. So, saying that PC gaming is dying is not true.

~

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB | XFX Radeon HD 6950
Adam Kolak Nov 14, 2006, 08:42pm EST Report Abuse
You can slightly upgrade Xbox 360 and PS3. You can buy a HD-DVD drive for Xbox 360. And you can buy bigger hard drives for them.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
BoT Nov 14, 2006, 09:49pm EST Report Abuse
what about dx10 thou?
the ps3 will support upcoming games. games which would repuire a dx10 capabel card for pc.
but it runs on nvidias g70 gfx engine. so why do i have to upgrade?

You can either be part of the problem or be part of the solution.
Codisha - http://www.codisha.com
Reviews - http://www.codisha.com/reviews/reviews.htm
Scumbag Blues Nov 14, 2006, 09:51pm EST Report Abuse
I know, but you can't go and buy a "Cell 2 Processor" or "ATi XBox720 Graphics card". Those are more "basic" if you get what I'm saying.

~

BoT Nov 14, 2006, 11:56pm EST Report Abuse
not really. besides you can buy a cell processor.
maybe not in a regular store but you can get them.
they are running well with ibm's own linux. you can even download the sdk's.

would be interresting to write your own apps for the ps3.

You can either be part of the problem or be part of the solution.
Codisha - http://www.codisha.com
Reviews - http://www.codisha.com/reviews/reviews.htm
Dublin_Gunner Nov 15, 2006, 06:24am EST Report Abuse
AFAIK PS3 doesnt use the 'full' dx10 (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but uses elements of it similar to Xbox 360. And the card in PS3 is based off g70, not g70 itself, so may have some internal units modified to process the next gen code etc

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
bajanboy Nov 15, 2006, 07:49am EST Report Abuse
i just fork out my pocket 269 bucks for the 7900GT and now to hear that it will not work with the new DX 10 games. i agree that this gaming pc things sucks and is only design to take money out of your pockets. the time it takes to upgrade and then use that hardware before it is time to change is much to short. the post that said we use these hardware for other things other than games. i can use onboard video to run most applications and program with ease. dont need no high end card to run them. i also deside not to pursue the invisible gaming line which is never reached

AMD 64 7750 X2 2.7GHZ
XFX HD 4770 DDR5
2x2GB DDR2 800
320GB Western Digital SATA 7200rpm drive (1TB External)
24inch ASUS LED display
Antec NeoHE 650W Power Supply
Cooler Master CM690 case Black
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit edition
Dublin_Gunner Nov 15, 2006, 08:12am EST Report Abuse
bajanboy said:
i just fork out my pocket 269 bucks for the 7900GT and now to hear that it will not work with the new DX 10 games.

Nobody's fault but your own. Nearly everyone knows that DX10 requires a DX10 based card, just like DX9 requires a DX9 card (at least), and DX8 requires a DX8 card (at least)

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
TamTheBam Nov 15, 2006, 12:12pm EST Report Abuse

Why's it his fault? He may not be as clued up as other hardware junkies. There's a lot of
ppl out there who probably won't know a monkeys about DX10. And if i can remember
correctly... 7900's were "supposidly" not "fully" compatable DX10. Another misleading
marketing scam i guess....

FordGT90Concept Nov 15, 2006, 12:44pm EST Report Abuse
Either they are DX10 compatible or they aren't. G71 and down isn't, G80 and up is. Likewise: R580 and down isn't, R600 and up is. DX10 is a Microsoft product so only the X-Box 360 could have potentially supported it but they wanted it released ASAP. Sony/Nintendo would be far more likely to go for the open source OpenGL than DirectX so they don't have to pay a dime in licencing. Also, as they have in the past, they don't use PC based graphic technologies--they make their own that's best suited for the hardware.

BTW, DirectX 7 cards can run DirectX 9 games fine (albeit low settings and low resolution) but they don't benefit from any of the new features that are implemented on the hardware level. There are certain technologies however, that are required for newer software titles that isn't necessarily related to the DirectX version (e.g. some DX 8 cards can run DX 9 software that requires Pixel Shader 2.0 support while other DX 8 cards can't due to lack of Pixel Shader 2.0 compatibility.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.