Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 2062 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 04:50pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

PC Gaming... 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4
TamTheBam Nov 15, 2006, 12:57pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: PC Gaming...

Yes i know... i am merley quoting what was said about 7900 cards!

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
BoT Nov 15, 2006, 02:57pm EST Report Abuse
FordGT90Concept said:
Either they are DX10 compatible or they aren't. G71 and down isn't, G80 and up is.

exactly my point. so a ps3 running on the g70 engine, even if modified, sgould not be able to run dx10 games and if it does, why are those modified cards not available to pc's.

i understand that the g70 engine is not exactly same then what you get on a 7800gtx card but the core gpu is essentially the same. it's like they can just add some pixel or vertex shader or convert the whole thing into unified. there are limits to the technology.

You can either be part of the problem or be part of the solution.
Codisha - http://www.codisha.com
Reviews - http://www.codisha.com/reviews/reviews.htm
Scumbag Blues Nov 15, 2006, 05:57pm EST Report Abuse
Who said Sony has to use DX10? Why can't they just use OpenGL or something else that best fits their situation?

~

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB | XFX Radeon HD 6950
Adam Kolak Nov 15, 2006, 07:01pm EST Report Abuse
Sony can't use DX10. That's Microsoft's property.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
TamTheBam Nov 15, 2006, 07:19pm EST Report Abuse

Show me the proof boyo! :P

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
bajanboy Nov 15, 2006, 08:45pm EST Report Abuse
well MS will be putting out an aditional DX called DX9L this is sopose to help the backwords compatibility thing for those people with Dx9 cards in vista. but the new DX10 games will not run if you have a DX9 card. the only game company to date that said they will put out a strickly DX10 game is critec makers of FARCRY. i think it would be not a good market move to go make all DX10 games when most of the market still in DX 9. the games just would not sell untill most people upgrade that tkes a while especialy the fact that you are talking about video cards which are some of the most expensive hardware next to the CPU. this dx10 as the last post said it is really a microsoft thing for vista.

AMD 64 7750 X2 2.7GHZ
XFX HD 4770 DDR5
2x2GB DDR2 800
320GB Western Digital SATA 7200rpm drive (1TB External)
24inch ASUS LED display
Antec NeoHE 650W Power Supply
Cooler Master CM690 case Black
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit edition
FordGT90Concept Nov 15, 2006, 10:35pm EST Report Abuse
Tam-the-Bam said:

Show me the proof boyo! :P

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.mspx

Since Sony is in competition with Microsoft's X-Box 360, Microsoft has every right to charge Sony royalties for distributing and implementing their technology.

I do believe DirectX 9 L is most likely what we know as DirectX 10 today. DirectX 9 L was probably DirectX 9 with Direct3D 10 (still not backwards compatible with DirectX 9) support but, for release, they decided just to call the whole package DirectX 10.

Dublin_Gunner Nov 16, 2006, 08:07am EST Report Abuse
DX9L is merely a DX9c for Vista.

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
FordGT90Concept Nov 16, 2006, 08:45am EST Report Abuse
If it were, there would be two DirectX executables on Vista. To my knowledge, there's only one (DirectX 10).

A_Pickle Nov 16, 2006, 11:05am EST Report Abuse
There're two. DirectX 10 is unlike previous versions of DirectX in that it doesn't build itself on previous versions of DirectX, as all previous versions have done. DirectX 10 is an independent package, and DirectX 9.0L is simply DirectX 9.0C for Longhorn, hence the L.

FordGT90Concept Nov 16, 2006, 11:17am EST Report Abuse
I was wrong... DirectX 9 API exists in the form of DirectX 9.0L on Vista. The L is not for Longhorn--it's for Legacy because it is depreciated in favor of the DirectX 10.0 package. The "L" for "Longhorn" was started by, surprise, The Inqurier.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's a DirectX 11 soon after this chopped up DirectX 9 w/ Direct3D 10 extension. There's a lot of talk about depreciating pretty much all of DirectX 9 in favor of Direct3D 10 and enhanced DirectSound, DirectPlay, etc. ported from the X-Box 360. It doesn't appear to be in DX 10 though.

Dublin_Gunner Nov 16, 2006, 11:29am EST Report Abuse
yeah, basically, to run dx9 aps (and earlier), its calls on dx9l. And for DX10, obviously DX10 is used.

I've heard multiple reasons for the 'l' being used. I dont know which holds true, but either way it doesnt matter, its just a letter to designate the version

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.