Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1163 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s August 08 - 05:38pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows Vista /

Microsoft Windows Vista 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Bitmap Nov 17, 2006, 11:43pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Microsoft Windows Vista
A_Pickle said:
Did you run the Windows Defender Quick Scan or the Full Scan?

Full scan. Anytime I install an anti-virus or anti-spyware program for the first time, I always run a full scan. I ran both a full scan with Defender, then right after, a full scan with ewido. Like I said, Defender found nothing, ewido found lots.

Everyone has their preference for anti-malware software, and yes, as you said above, it is probably better than nothing.

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Jarret M. Nov 20, 2006, 03:11pm EST Report Abuse
So I've been running Vista RTM for the past week.. So far I really like it! As for gaming, I haven't put it to a full test yet, but I play Battlefield 2142 and EQ2, and both seem to run fine with no differences.

I did have to download some audio drivers for my SB Live5.1 that work, but not great.. Creative needs to get their buts in gear.

ATI did have a new Vista driver for my x850pro, and that sped things up quite a bit after installing them.

My favorite thing so far, is that even though my account is set up as an administrator, to Install absolutly anything, it asks if it can run as an administrator, then asks again if its a trusted program! It seems bothersome, but I really like this feature.. I don't have to worry about spam being installed without my knowledge as Vista will ask me before it even is allowed to start its install. It reminds me of Linux in that you usually run the system as a regular user, and to install anything, you need to "su" to the admin or root account.

As for mem usage, I've noticed it sticks around the 450mb mark where XP sat around the 300mb mark. Not to bad, and this is with Aero turned on. Tonight I'll switch to the ol classic mode to see if that drops down, but I wouldn't think it would by to much.

My system is a Sempron s754 @ 1.8ghz, 1.5gb of ram... with a x850 pro. Vista has a Rating system (I think its a rating out of 10), and my system rated at 3.1.. Pretty low on the scale, but it seems to run quite smoothly. Some things like the Control Panel and certain settings pages come up pretty slow, but that's understandable with my system.

With default Home Premium install, a few small programs, and Avast! antivirus, I'm sitting at 9.5gb of used space. So it does use a lot more space than XP.

Overall, I like Vista enough than when I use an XP computer, I miss a lot of the new features.

A_Pickle Nov 20, 2006, 03:24pm EST Report Abuse
Jarret M. Nov 20, 2006, 03:11 PM
Overall, I like Vista enough than when I use an XP computer, I miss a lot of the new features.

Yeh, me too. At the moment, I'm compiling a benchmark of a lot of stuff in Windows Vista versus the same stuff in Windows XP, just to see which is faster. I have a hunch Windows XP might be the slower one. Anyways, after that's all done... I may just reformat my system to use only Windows Vista RC1. I'd like to use RTM... but... my RC1 is legit, so...

Nov 20, 2006, 03:35pm EST Report Abuse
I have heard that games run slower in Vista on the same hardware then in XP ... but I don't know if that's true, since I haven't installed Vista yet -- what have you found on this front, A_Pickle?

Jarret M. Nov 20, 2006, 03:42pm EST Report Abuse
McFly said:
I have heard that games run slower in Vista on the same hardware then in XP ... but I don't know if that's true, since I haven't installed Vista yet -- what have you found on this front, A_Pickle?

I'm not sure if this is the case, but I've read that if you leave the Aero effect turned on while in a game, it will slow down the game considerably. If you right click on the game icon, there is a option to disable Aero so that when you double click to play the game, it auto disables...

There is also an option to run as Administrator... which I find I had to do with Battlefield... as Punkbuster wasn't allowed to run in the background and would kick me out of the game.. but after allowing it to run as administrator, no problems! Also, surprisingly enough, my system hasn't crashed yet in battlefield, where in XP it did quite often (within an hour of play at least).

Jarret M. Nov 20, 2006, 03:49pm EST Report Abuse
A_Pickle said:
I'd like to use RTM... but... my RC1 is legit, so...

Haha.. My RTM copy is not legit, so at the moment I'm limited to my 30 day trial. Although, I did find a command in the Microsoft Documentation that will allow me to reset that timer up to 3 times (almost like a sysprep, but you don't loose your settings or stuff).. So it looks like I'm good for about 4 months.... maybe by then I'll know if I should buy a copy, or find a *cough* copy that will work.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.