Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1708 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s June 16 - 07:28am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

which laptop is better for gaming? toshiba or hp... 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
A_Pickle Nov 28, 2006, 07:22pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: which laptop is better for gaming? toshiba or hp...
Jerome Pastor Nov 28, 2006, 11:52 AM
pickle, thanks for an amazing post!

Heh, no problem. :D

the Dell computer notebook that u told me about, is it better than the hp at circuit city such as being able to run WoW smoothly ??

To be honest, the HP would probably run World of Warcraft more smoothly. The Dell will come close, but the HP does have a faster graphics card, so... it'd run it better. It isn't by terribly much, though, the Dell's graphics card would be able to run World of Warcraft pretty well, all things considered.

edit: wow the Dell e1505 is only 715 dollars

Make sure you've selected a video card with that, otherwise you'll hate it.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
FordGT90Concept Nov 28, 2006, 07:53pm EST Report Abuse
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-detai...mp;CatId=0

ATI Mobility X600 included w/ 128 MB dedicated memory. Built-To-Order is a little bit on the pricey side but the base price is extremely competitive. I'll see if I can pull anymore rabbits out of the Systemax hat. ;)

Edit: that's about the best bang for the buck from Systemax. It should be able to run WoW with medium settings. Beware, good graphics equals short battery life.

A_Pickle Nov 28, 2006, 08:17pm EST Report Abuse
That's a pretty good option. I'd be willing to bet that the Dell's a little faster, but it's.. also more expensive. Nice find, GT90.

Adam Kolak Nov 28, 2006, 08:30pm EST Report Abuse
I think I'd go for a Dell with a 7900GS, but I noticed you can only get that GPU on the e1705 and not the e1505. If you could get it on the 1505 it would be a sweet deal. That Systemax looks a little quirky.

So um yeah I'd go for the Dell.

If you can get a E1705 with a 7900GS. Doesn't matter the cpu, the base Core Duo will do. Just get 1 GB of ram, or 2GB of ram if you can. Unless its too big for you. It's got a 17" screen. They give you a free upgrade to Vista Home Premium too. It comes with XP Media Center. And its got multimedia buttons. They start at around $1100. And with a 7900GS your talking $1300 but its much better than a X600 or X1400.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
A_Pickle Nov 28, 2006, 08:41pm EST Report Abuse
Oh, definitely. As an E1705 user, I will definitely vouch for that notebook. VERY well built, very stable, surprisingly portable and fecking fast. But the E1705 with the Geforce Go 7900 GS is not a $1,000 laptop, I'm afraid, even with everything else fairly low... :/

Adam Kolak Nov 28, 2006, 08:47pm EST Report Abuse
I spec'd out a system on Dell.com (USA Home + Home Office).

The cheapest configuration with a 7900GS comes to $1,186:
Core Duo 1.73Ghz
1GB DDR2
80GB 5400RPM HDD
7900GS 256MB
17" LCD
CD Burner/DVD-Rom
B/G Wireless
XP Media Center - free express upgrade to Vista Home Premium.

So if you can spare $186, this is the best deal on a gaming laptop that I know of.

Oh this is the E1705 btw.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
FordGT90Concept Nov 28, 2006, 09:23pm EST Report Abuse
Water Drop said:
That Systemax looks a little quirky.

Quirky how?

I've had a Pursuit 4110 (not this model) for about 6 months after my brother owned it for two years. I did an XP Home install from the System Diagnostics and Recovery disk and I hadn't had a problem since. Hardware wise, all I had to do was order another battery ($140) because the two year old one wasn't performing up to my needs (I don't think my brother used the battery much so it didn't get a proper work out hence leading to a short life). The only sign of aging it has is minor cracks on the backside leading from the edge of panels to the screw holes. There's many of them, a few have lost a chunk, but still extremely solid and light weight.

Yes it does have one quirk...pick it up from a certain corner in a certain way and power turns off but only when running from battery. Solution: pick it up with two hands.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Nov 28, 2006, 09:38pm EST Report Abuse
Good Performance Laptop will be the Inspiron XPS line- but just to warn you- they suck juice like no tomorrow, the one i have which is Gen 1 has 2 Gigs of PC3200 ram, Intel Northwood Extreme 3.4, ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 256, 100 gig 7200 RPM Drive (Aftermarket upgrade) sufficient cooling. In my opinion the Gen 1 XPS is a tad bit on the heavy side but it stays cool suprising enuf with a EE CPU, and high end Graphics chip with dedicated memory.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Jerome Pastor Nov 29, 2006, 01:27am EST Report Abuse
is it true that dells have a problem with their hdd's?? a friend of mine that works at geek squad says that everyone that brings in a Dell laptop usually has a broken hdd

Archangel Nov 29, 2006, 02:04am EST Report Abuse
wow sucks anyways. all it will do, it will make you spend exactly every single second of 2months spent in front of it. and thats in a year. so 24% of your life in a year will have been spent siting doing nothing but watching a fantasy character get better items that represent just
less than a nible of bites in some lost harddrive in the middle of nowhere.

So there you go. spend the money in a trip to some island where they teach u abou health care??? may change ur life :)

( in a positive way )

Dangerous Dave Nov 29, 2006, 03:46am EST Report Abuse
the only problem I have seen recently is the whole battery thing which you would have no problem with as the recall is already in affect and a few of my friends have had problems with the dvd roms on thier e1505s when playing dvds but that was fixed in less then two days by overnight shipping and a tech coming out to fix it all covered by the warrenty

"No one will be alive by the last book. In fact, they all die in the fifth. The sixth book will be just a thousand-page description of snow blowing across the graves"
George R.R. Martin
A_Pickle Nov 29, 2006, 04:00am EST Report Abuse
Jerome Pastor Nov 29, 2006, 01:27 AM
is it true that dells have a problem with their hdd's?? a friend of mine that works at geek squad says that everyone that brings in a Dell laptop usually has a broken hdd

As the hard drive is a significant, mechanical component of a computer, it is more prone to failure. I know that Dell uses Hitachi hard drives in it's notebooks, which are decent, but they're generally slower than their competitor's mobile hard drives. As far as reliability goes, I really don't know their reliability relative to others. I've never had issues with my Dells, quite the contrary, they've been fantastic computers for me, and so I shall continue to use them and recommend them. :)

Archangel Nov 29, 2006, 02:04 AM
wow sucks anyways. all it will do, it will make you spend exactly every single second of 2months spent in front of it. and thats in a year. so 24% of your life in a year will have been spent siting doing nothing but watching a fantasy character get better items that represent just
less than a nible of bites in some lost harddrive in the middle of nowhere.

At least, with World of Warcraft, you're socially interacting with other people. Who the hell are you to criticize what someone does with their time? If they want to play World of Warcraft, so be it. I played EverQuest back when that was the big MMO and I enjoyed it quite a lot. That's a really cruel, bold, and uncalled for statement. Do you play PC games? If you do, your very argument could be used against you, which would make you well... something of a hypocrite.

Relax. Be cool. If he wants a laptop for World of Warcraft, let him get one. Sheesh.

Lou Bot Nov 29, 2006, 07:53am EST Report Abuse
I play games on my Dell Inspiron E1505 and do video editing on it. The basic sound card - SigmaTel i think - does a good job. I recommend upgrading the memory and CPU (Core 2 Duo) as high as you can afford. When I was building my laptop...I ordered the lowest storage hard drive (40GB) which is 5400rpm; it should be part of the standard cost of the laptop. Some where down the road, I bought a larger storage drive (Hitachi) 7200rpm from an online store. The 7200rpm hard drive certainly gives the laptop added performance.
The E1505 uses SATA hard drives which is pretty cool. The only problem I see is the PC Card slot...it does *NOT* use the standard PC Card.

MSI K8N NEO4 SLI(MS7100) BIOS3.A
AMD Opteron185 @2.86
2GB PC4000 2.5-3-3-8 2T
2xBFG 7800GTX 256MB (91.31)
2xRaptor74RAID0
Enermax EG651P-VE 24P & CS-718
"Thee BEST chip is a Dorrito Chip
Carl Martin Nov 29, 2006, 08:41pm EST Report Abuse
Looks like all the advice has steered away from the Toshiba. As a Toshiba owner, I have to say don't buy one! I'm not sure how what kind of laptops HP and Dell are building, but my Toshiba is little more than junk. If you do a search in this forum, you'll find hundreds of posts complaining about Toshiba - mainly overheating problems.

I'd look for something with an AMD Turion 64 X2 processor since it outperforms Core2Duo in laptop applications.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Nov 29, 2006, 10:04pm EST Report Abuse
mine i never had a problem with, as a matter of fact my old HD 60 gig 7200 Hitachi is an external storage device now- because i installed a 100 Gig 7200 RPM Hitachi, but there could be a reason behind the busted HDs, people not saying they bumped the laptop too hard or dropped it, remember Laptop HDs are way more delicate than their Desktop cousins.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.