Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 370 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 27 - 11:09pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

Steam won't start up 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
Alan Davidson Jan 18, 2007, 02:53pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Steam won't start up
Have a look at the Steam Support site and look under STEAM issues
They currently mention these programs as causing problems
SpyCatcher Express
Tuneup WinStyler Theme Service
GhostSurf 2007
AOLacsd.exe

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Jogi Fetter Jan 19, 2007, 11:21am EST Report Abuse
Hi guys, I'm having problems with my Steam aswell.... like everyone said, it just won't start up!

I don't have this SpywareCacther, but I do have Panda Antivirus. I tried shuting it down and disable all kind of firewall but until now, no success.

I don't know what's causing the problem, so if anyone there that have Panda Antivirus or knows how to solve this, please help me!

Thank you!
=]

Alan Davidson Jan 22, 2007, 04:37am EST Report Abuse
According to steam conflicting programs have to be -uninstalled- not just 'not running'
Rerad topics furthr back to force steam to update after uninstalling your suspected programs.

The fault lies with Steam - Half Life is so amazingly good yet they can't include code in Steam to catch conflicts without the program hanging.

B Jan 22, 2007, 07:19am EST Report Abuse
Judging from my experience with Steam in the past, this problem could take a month or two to be fixed.

Dan Theman Jan 25, 2007, 09:25am EST Report Abuse
Chupathingy said:
Every time I go to load up steam, it just sits in the processes section of the task manager doing nothing. It doesn't gain any memory, and it takes up no processor space. Occassionaly (1 out of 10 times or so) it loads up after about 10 minutes, but other than that, it doesn't load (even after an hour).

Has anyone been able to figure out this problem? I installed Steam (WIN XP SP2) and clicking the icons for the various games simply do nothing. The process starts because I see it in task manager but there is no login box, nada, nothing zippo! Yet if I go into another user profile, it works! What could be happeniong here?

bonfire-db Jan 26, 2007, 01:19am EST Report Abuse
try deleting clientregistry.blob in your steam folder

-----------------------------
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz
Asus mobo
4x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 1700MHz 9-9-9-27
Sapphire Radeon HD5870
OCZ Agility 3 120GB, 2x640GB WD Caviar Black RAID 0
Adam Wong Feb 02, 2007, 08:00pm EST Report Abuse
PLZ HELP ME. I have been having the same problem, until now. NOW I get an error message that says "Steam exe. (main exception): Unable to load library Steam.dll" I have already tried steam support, but none of those suggestions worked.

Deadly Alive Feb 11, 2007, 05:21pm EST Report Abuse
same prob here...
i uninstalled everything kaspersky, spyware terminator, etc... still NOTHING
my steam won't start whatever i do :\

EDIT: i unistalled TuneUp Utilities 2006 and steam starts again xD

Scott Johnson Feb 11, 2007, 10:09pm EST Report Abuse
I'm also having the same problem, mine started after the Feb 7th update. Ive tried to uninstall and re-install numerous times, I deleted everything from my firewall so that it would have to re-learn steam, and Ive scanned my computer for viruses with no cause. Ive also e-mailed the valve support team and am waiting for a response. The last time something like this happened I gave my computer to my cousin who's a computer technician and he fixed it within a day, If it doesn't work within the next week I'll give it to him and have him post the fix on here. Good luck everybody, God I miss Counter-Strike...:(

B Feb 11, 2007, 11:35pm EST Report Abuse
I hope steam solves the problem soon.

In the meantime, Camper-strike anyone?

http://www.camperstrike.co.uk/play.php?45268

Scott Johnson Feb 12, 2007, 09:24pm EST Report Abuse
I FOUND THE FIX!!!!!
Im so happy right now, it actually worked. Go here http://forum.gtp-community.com/index.php?topic=844.0
and scroll down to " Steam wont startup and only runs in the background? ", theres about 11 steps, you have to download highjackthis and fixitnow but your steam will be up and running in no time! One thing though, when your in hijackthis it says to scan the system and then checkmark everything, I just check-marked the only one that actually has the words Steam in it. Good Luck everyone, I will check back in here so if you have any problems with this post them and ill see if I can help, Good Luck! WHOOOOOO HOOOOOO Counter-Strike HERE I COME!:)

david campos Feb 20, 2007, 02:11am EST Report Abuse
...I KINDA FOUND AN EASIER WAY (THAN THE GUY ABOVE) ;) TO RUN STEAM!! ..BUT WONT FIX THE PROBLEM FOR ALL WHO ARE DESPERATE! :)XD ive had the same problem...it ran in the backgorund but never showd up...........first off i tried anti-virus since malware might afect steam like i read and it didnt work...wierdly after steam wasnt running at shutdown i keep getting this Hidden Window showing up..(and i know for sure thats the problem).and its.not shellcon.....so0o0o0o....and after doing all this. and not bieng able to delete the hidden window program.. i finally figured out an easy way to start up steam, it works on me but dunno.

1)..first off u go unto windows.....it says steam runs in background...right?

2)so delete the steam.exe process.

3)..then.....disconnect yurself from the internet.....pull the cable offf....

4)..then run steam....a windows shud come up saying connection failed...

5).now plug yur cable....wait till u get internet back.

6)...then clik retry.......it shud say.....exiting....then yull get like a quick flash of steam...and after like 3-4 seconds the connecting bar shud come out and get u the steam menu :)....well it worked on me ..!!!!!!!!!!!! hope this helps...!!!

Lake Welsh Aug 29, 2008, 01:47pm EDT Report Abuse
I have Panda Antivirus and Steam as well, and I don't have that problem. So it's probably not Panda.

Hope you find your problem! =D
-L.W.

Alex Nino May 26, 2009, 04:26pm EDT Report Abuse
Just goto your task manager and close steam then go run steam again

Kevin Trott May 26, 2009, 10:00pm EDT Report Abuse
I've found a solution!!!

After an entire day of agonizing over this problem, I've FINALLY found a solution that WORKS!! Unfortunately it demands that you completely uninstall steam, but that is a very small price to pay I think.

Okay, I'm running a Windows Vista 64-bit system, so this fix might not work for everyone.

1. Completely uninstall your copy of Steam, and restart your computer

2. Once the computer reboots, start up the install of Steam again. But this time, DO NOT install the game in your program files (x86) folder. Instead, create a new folder in your C:\ named "Steamy" (or whatever you prefer, as long as its not "Steam".

3. Install as you normally would, inside the "Steamy" folder. Make sure this folder is not inside of anything else. Just sitting out there in the main C drive.

4. Enjoy Steam =).

For some silly reason, with Windows Vista it will all of a sudden refuse to work if it is installed in either of the program files folders. It's annoying, and it took me almost the entire day to figure out. But this solution worked for me.

Alternatively, you can try installing Steam on an external hard drive. That will work as well, but you'd have to deal with your games operating/loading more slowly.

I hope that helps someone else avoid the pain that I've had to endure all day!

Kevin Trott May 26, 2009, 10:19pm EDT Report Abuse
If you have a Windows 64-bit system, you can try this:

2. Once the computer reboots, start up the install of Steam again. But this time, DO NOT install the game in your program files (x86) folder. Instead, create a new folder in your C:\ named "Steamy" (or whatever you prefer, as long as its not "Steam".

3. Install as you normally would, inside the "Steamy" folder. Make sure this folder is not inside of anything else. Just sitting out there in the main C drive.

4. Enjoy Steam(?)

For some silly reason, with Windows Vista it will all of a sudden refuse to work if it is installed in either of the program files folders. It's annoying, and it took me almost the entire day to figure out. This solution worked for me, I hope it works for you too!

Kevin Trott May 26, 2009, 10:21pm EDT Report Abuse
Hey there Alan, if you have a Windows 64-bit system you can try this:

4. Enjoy Steam (?)

For some silly reason, with Windows Vista it will all of a sudden refuse to work if it is installed in either of the program files folders. It's annoying, and it took me almost the entire day to figure out. This solution worked for me, I hope it works for you too!

Alternatively you can try installing on an external hard drive- it may work, but you'd have to deal with your games loading a bit slower.

Cory Sessoms Aug 28, 2010, 09:52am EDT Report Abuse
Here is a really simple fix.

1. Stop the steam process in task manager.

2. Delete steam.dll, steamUI.dll, and ClientRegistry.blob from the steam folder

3. Delete all temporary files (Start -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup)

4. Restart Steam

5. Post reply if this works for you.

Kevin Green Aug 14, 2011, 05:55pm EDT Report Abuse
Chupathingy said:
Every time I go to load up steam, it just sits in the processes section of the task manager doing nothing. It doesn't gain any memory, and it takes up no processor space. Occassionaly (1 out of 10 times or so) it loads up after about 10 minutes, but other than that, it doesn't load (even after an hour).

I have the exact problem as well. While looking for solutions I found a technet blog post that goes into what is happening and how to resolve step by step. The author is promoting the SystemInterals Utility Suite and how he used it to identify problem and work around it. I haven't tried the SystemInternals tool yet and prefer to manually fix so I know what is being changed and you learn more that wasy. But I think it is good post because he only used the tool to find the source of the problem then walks you throughthe manual fix. There are some comments on the article leave me very leery of trying unless I spend a lot of time making sure I can fully recover if it harms my system. Here's the post:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2011/08/02/...x#comments
It includes screenshots as well. I am waiting to see what people say in some other Microsoft forums but its worth a try so I don't have to use my Civ5 DVD as a $55 coaster.

Andrew Blane Jun 06, 2012, 05:42pm EDT Report Abuse
My steam wont start as well, every time I try to start it I get this error:

Steam.exe (main exception): CMultiFieldBlob(pSterilized): Bad Field - Extends Past End Of Blob

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.