Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 495 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 04:07pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows Vista /

Vista don't install?!?!?!? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
Dublin_Gunner Jan 22, 2007, 12:00pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Vista don't install?!?!?!?
Because he's only then 'temporarily' removing the problem....

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
G. G. Jan 22, 2007, 12:08pm EST Report Abuse
yesssssssss..... BUT.... how do we know it is exactly the sony drive and not some other problem that lies within his system that is making his Sony seems to be the problem.??

Plus.... by swaping to the known good optical....... he can be on his way to Vista bliss and not have to wait till the new drives gets here.... with his luck... that order probably got lost or deleted

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Dublin_Gunner Jan 22, 2007, 12:11pm EST Report Abuse
The fact that the drive is spinning & chugging would suggest that its a drive problem.

Well, he could of course try re-installing his IDE/Mobo drivers and see if that fixes it. But I wouldnt hold out much hope.

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Jan 22, 2007, 12:19pm EST Report Abuse
G. G. Jan 22, 2007, 12:08 PM
Plus.... by swaping to the known good optical....... he can be on his way to Vista bliss and not have to wait till the new drives gets here.... with his luck... that order probably got lost or deleted

That's exactly my point. :)

Just a quick swap, 'temporarily,' as I said, so that he can install Windows, and then install the new drive when it gets to him. That way he won't have to sit by the door for the FedEx guy to get there so he can finally install Vista. :-)

G. G. Jan 22, 2007, 12:30pm EST Report Abuse
McFly,

I had said the same exact same thing as you did 2 mins prior to your post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Jan 22, 2007, 12:37pm EST Report Abuse
So you did. Serves me right for just skimming through posts. :)

SuPeR Xp Jan 22, 2007, 12:44pm EST Report Abuse
Tam-the-Bam said:

It's Premium 64Bit. I just tried to explore the contents from XP Pro 32Bit, and the DVD
just clicks and whirls.

Went to BIOS to BOOT from CD and still clicks and whirls. Nothing at all. Grrrr!!!

I had this problem also, what DVD drive are you using? Because all Vista OS's come in the form of a DVD. And you will have to update your DVD's firmware in order to read the disk.

I think MS along with other companies put crap in there newer DVD's to prevent copying or something??? I updated my Firmware, and all was working well thereafter.

Good Luck,

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Yours Truly Jan 22, 2007, 01:44pm EST Report Abuse
It'll work on the Sony DVD drive. All you need to do is to register with Sony. It costs only EUR 49.95 to sign up for a one-year membership, which entitles you to a firmware upgrade for only EUR 89.95. Keep in mind that the fee is not transferrable for subsequent upgrades in the Vista software version lol Just joking :)

As opposed to being ripped off upfront by Plextor haha .. after that, everything works :)

SuPeR Xp Jan 22, 2007, 02:21pm EST Report Abuse
Yes, I have an old 2004 Sony DVD burner & 2 brand new LG DVD multi-burners. And guess what?
The LG burners require firmware upgrades at least 1 to 2 times when I got them a month ago, where as the Sony, I've never doen a Firmware upgrade at all, and it plays anything you throw at it.

I hate Sony due to what they've done to Sega & how they cheated them, but I do admit that there products are high quality & really good.

Jan 22, 2007, 02:24pm EST Report Abuse
Vista installed just fine from my Sony DVD-ROM ...

CrAsHnBuRnXp Jan 22, 2007, 02:51pm EST Report Abuse
p**s on Sony and all their products. LG FTW!

Jarret M. Jan 22, 2007, 03:20pm EST Report Abuse
Just a suggestion..

But I was having installation problems with Vista 32bit... I have a bit older drives, so I slowed the DMA settings down.. Something like udma 2 or something, I can't quite remember. But it fixed it right up.

Btw, the install was a full 20gb. Crazy.. I'm back to XP and feeling relieved.

SuPeR Xp Jan 22, 2007, 03:21pm EST Report Abuse
I agree, but I also admit that Sony has probably the best DVD burners IMO. Though, the LG burners look better in apearance.

TamTheBam Jan 22, 2007, 03:43pm EST Report Abuse

Swapping with my sisters drive sounds ok, but i will have to format again eventually
as my plan is to dual boot for the meantime.
I updated my firmware to the newest on both drives and still no use :(
This's something i least expected! And it's annoyed me immensely. I been stomping
about the place ever since. Bad start to Vista. Bad start!!

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
Dublin_Gunner Jan 22, 2007, 06:13pm EST Report Abuse
S_U_P_E_R X_P said:
I agree, but I also admit that Sony has probably the best DVD burners IMO. Though, the LG burners look better in apearance.

Ah Super come on. I would never ever ever recommend a Sony optical drive to anyone. There are so many pther companies out there that offer far superior drives for less.

LG, Pioneer, AOpen, Samsung, BenQ and even Lite-On would rate above Sony. (among others)

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Liquid Shadow Jan 22, 2007, 06:25pm EST Report Abuse
I had a Sony CD Burner before, it died on me within two years, just won't read anything anymore, piece of crap.

Now I have a NEC DVD Burner and a Gigabyte Combo Drive, love them both. I highly recommend NEC and Gigabyte, and of course, you gotta love Plextor, they are expensive but worth the money.

--------------------------------------------------------------
ADK 1Q AR Laptop
Core i5 520M | 4GB RAM | ATI HD4570
Plug & Play Jan 22, 2007, 06:31pm EST Report Abuse

Sony monitors for PC's thats about all.

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
mothow Jan 22, 2007, 08:56pm EST Report Abuse
My Sony Drive kicks Booty.I hate my Old TDK420n but i have to admit ive had no trouble with either of them.16x Sony :-) and my 4x TDK :-( .I want a new 20x..When will Newegg have the 64 bit version's?I want the 64 bit version

ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 / i7 4790K / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer DDR3 1600 / 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black / 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD / 2x Evga GTX 670 FTW 2GB in SLI / Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty / Corsair HX1000w
Dublin_Gunner Jan 23, 2007, 07:50am EST Report Abuse
64bit version of what, a drive??????

No such thing afaik, its the OS and drivers, not the drive that would be 64bit m8.

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Jan 23, 2007, 12:05pm EST Report Abuse
I think Mothow meant Vista OEM, Dubsie. :)

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.