Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 289 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 08 - 06:46am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Projects /

My "Soon-To-Be" Entertainment System 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
phil Mar 16, 2007, 01:00pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: My "Soon-To-Be" Entertainment System
:X .. you said axiom ... *barf .. those are some of the worst made speakers I've ever seen..normally i root for the local guy, (they're a small town success story here in Huntsville) .. but holy f**k are they bad speakers... actually most of the name brand speakers in the $500-$3000 range are overpriced particle board junk. with bad cones, ands**t surrounds... you wouldn't believe the markup on them if i told you..

.. usually a just ad a zero to the manufacture cost... $200 to make $2000 to sell.

i didn't mean to turn the speaker marketplace into a proverbial minefield for you.. just letting you know, that price does NOT equal performance.. neither does the wattage of the speakers or the size.... it's what they and the cabinets are made of, how they were made and they need to be matched to the room they're put in.

for instance if theres ports on the cabinet the need to be the right size.. also you should NEVER see ports on any loud speaker system unless it's in the sub cabinet,.. mid and high range cabinets should be air tight...the cabinet of the sub should be large to accommodate the woofer(s) in it... not to mention the cabinets themselves.. for a couple $K they should be made of cabinet grade Russian Baltic birch plywood at a bare minimum.. and NOT M.D.F. or particle board.
there are soo many things to look out for when buying speakers.. especially the cone and surround type.. for instance everyone thinks paper cones ares**t.. not true.. I'd rather have paper then "kevlar" cones that are 90% resin and made by a drunk guy in Dwight that i play beer league hockey with on Wednesdays.

.. anyways, if there was a point to any of this rambling.. you can buy speakers by brand, you have to buy them by quality.. unfortunately every speaker manufacturer sells crap.. some of them like axiom only sell crap..

so please don't look at brand.. you'll be doing yourself the worst favour of all.

.. if you want to know speakers and by right without the help of someone else with you (either trust worthy salesman or friend) , you should start a thread on a audiophile forum.

im not saying HWA doesn't have audiophiles.. just there's a better selection of them in places where there's nothing but.

---
can't access HWA unless I use a proxy... lol

pfft ..f**k that! (almost sounds like work)
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Adam Kolak Mar 16, 2007, 01:05pm EDT Report Abuse
Do yourself a favor and stay away from Bose speakers. My dad made that mistake a few years back. $1200 for speakers that sound decent. But there are $500 speaker kits that sound just as good.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
phil Mar 16, 2007, 01:42pm EDT Report Abuse
i was JUST talking with my brother.. and he brought up a few relevant points.

1. you want to have the thickest softest carpet in the room
2. your room shouldn't be perfectly square.. if it is.. well don't spend too much money on audio.. buy a better projector
3. if there's a large area behind your seating ... you'll want to change the location of your home theater or hang a curtain/tapestry or build a wall.. to act as a sound, and bass trap.
4. you may want to look at compression sub woofer(s) and mounting it/them under the floor (if possible) or under your couch.. i never thought of that, but it would give excellent results 8)
5. if you do have a poor acoustic space (hardwood or tile floor, square room, etc) you'd be better off to spend some of your speaker budget redecorating... but since you've already looked into things like screen wall paint, i hope you're already pretty good in that department.

--- edit: i forgot
6. the $770 denon unit is not worth it and average price around is about $300~600CDN .. not the $770 on the website.. the avr-2807 is the MUCH better.. the AVR-2307ci is probly the unit you might want to look closer at ($700) .. it's a better unit, and with the support of 6 and 8 ohms it will let you get away with mixing up speakers with better results and quality.

7. you want to look at ~35-40watts RMF (root mean square) and around at least 97db/spl 1w-1metre sensitivity speakers.. anything less is fine if your amp is sending near perfect signal like a McIntosh Labs http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/ .. then you can settle for less quality speakers ... the very low end Mx-120 model is about ~$4000 though.

---

phil Mar 16, 2007, 02:22pm EDT Report Abuse
other things to remember (that i just remebered) .. make sure you use GOOD sheilded AV cables every step of the way.. not just good quality speaker cables.. IF you go with any of the denon unit's you will want sheided cables, as it looks like they dont support cable balancing... and seeing how you might need to run av cables quiet a distance for the projector, (depending on your setup), keep in mind to ALWAYS run them away from or perpendicular to any powerlines.. and never coil up the extra (it acts like an antenna) and keep them away from ac power.. all of these simple steps will stop signal noise.

it's especailly important before the amp.. the last thing you want is to have a 60hz hiss generated in your dvd output and then amplified ... :angry:

---

Sean Costello Mar 16, 2007, 04:16pm EDT Report Abuse
you should read up on some DIY speaker sites and build your own :D

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
Scumbag Blues Mar 16, 2007, 07:52pm EDT Report Abuse
Ah crap. Reading all that, has made me more unsure of myself. :P

I'm going to need to find an audiophile forum now...

Just in case, anyone here an audiophile?

However, I need to remind all of you with this: our budget is only $5000 CDN, we aren't looking to make a high-end home theatre where the smallest difference in frequency, or the difference of a few contrast points is important. We just want a home theatre that we can enjoy for $5000 CDN. However, Phil, thanks for pointing out the A/V Receiver pricing.

The thing is... I need to find a place to listen to all this/watch and buy it. :O

~

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB | XFX Radeon HD 6950
phil Mar 16, 2007, 10:44pm EDT Report Abuse
Sean Costello said:
you should read up on some DIY speaker sites and build your own :D

that would be the cheapest option, provided he already had:
mainly a mitering table saw, but also a jigsaw, drill(450+ inch/pounds of torque), hole saw set, and some wood clamps, soldering iron, brad nailer... a 4'x8' sheet of 5/8" or 3/4" baltic birch plywood would only cost him $35-$60 depending where he got it. he could get 6 silk cone 3" tweeters 40watt for about $70, 10 7" 50watt midranges for about $200-$350, and a pair of 12" sub's for about $60.. add on some guerilla glue, a couple 10' 2"x2"s, some resistors, some brads, some wood stain/or speaker carpet, and 8 backplates.. his total budget would be way less then anything he could find in the store, and the quality would be 10 times better.

.. if you do feel like looking into such things, post or PM the room dimensions, flooring type, wall surface, ceiling height, position and type of seating, and what receiver you're using and i could see if i can get you some free drawings/plans, directions, material list, prices and availibility of and for for your very own DIY KICKASS 7.1 speaker set.

---

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.